Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #151  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: high water mark/working on it

Height: 5-4

Welcome to our new friends and Becksters! (I like that sound - reminds me of roadsters - kind of rarin' for excitement and to enjoy adventure!) ... I need to take more time to catch up, but unfortunately it doesn't look like that time will come for a bit ... but wanted to check in here to be accountable.

Ate on plan with the exception of a slice of toasted Italian bread and took a smaller one vs. the larger ones that wouldn't FIT in the slot...so was over by approx. 100 calories. And the scale went up three pounds. Let that there be a lesson to all ha ... No, soup was on the lunch plan and my rings are stuck, so I know it's water. I've been eating most of my calories in the evening and think that is affecting me - I'm feeling like i've overdone it, even when I'm finishing up in calorie range. Soup again today as I left without a lunch and have that in my drawer ... unless I venture to a museum cafe nearby for a mental treat and then it's half of a sandwich.

Icy roads all the way in - I'm SO thankful that I saw someone creeping along in my neighborhood, going about 5 mph ... that caught my attention as I was scraping and thought, oh, must be slick. Sure enough - and that is a major fear of mine. I need to be able to drive like Lexxiss - good winter driver. I'm a terrified winter driver. So I'm certain I was the ONLY motorist, who, after seeing headlights facing ME in my lane from spun out cars, was thankful to have the interstate traffice moving at 0 - too low for the odometer to register as we crept along. I didn't grow up with this and it stresses me out. ENOUGH on that -sorry, folks!

Hope to rent a movie and relax this evening - worked until 10 p.m. last night once I got home ... have heard good things about Hope Springs, so that might be the selection.

Felt great this weekend to be trying on a few pair of shorts and have them fit better ... but now feel like I'm kind of losing focus. Not sure WHY? Need to regroup - thanks for everyone posting about their challenges; makes me feel like I'm not tackling stuff alone!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #152  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

The local food presentation was fun and more informative than I expected since I've been eating lots of local foods for several years. A couple of women have written a book about the local food situation in Missouri so we got lots of bigger picture information that was new to me. For instance, did you know that Missouri is 2nd only to Texas in the number of farms? Turns out, places that you think of having lots of farms like Iowa and California have huge farms and, therefore, fewer of them. Missouri has lots of smaller farms, many of them providing food through local distributions rather than dumping them into the national or international food system.

Exercise: +75 525/1400 March

Lulu01801: Welcome! You certainly wouldn't be the first to change your eating style while working through the first two weeks of the Beck Diet Solution. But some of the problems your having? They are exactly the ones that would be addressed by going through the first two weeks as suggested without paying so much attention to the diet to start. I suggest posting here every day stating what day you are on and what issues that brings up (it will be a good refresher course for all of us!)

BillBlueEyes: waving back! Good luck at the accountant's office. At least, it will be done for another year.

Beverlyjoy: I enjoy the little tips from the Beck folks.

Lexxiss: Cool that you're trying a new experiment with your food plan. Looking forward to hearing how it works for you.

Julia150: I hope your yoga class went well. I've done better with yoga from DVDs, starting from beginner ones. In classes, I tend to think I can do what every one else can. With DVDs, I'm more comfortable doing just what feels right. I think YouTube might be another source for short routines for beginners.

lizagna: PLANNING works like magic for me. You're doing great, jumping right in! Don't feel obligated to do personals if it seems too much one day. It's more important to do the check-in than it is to do the personals. Even BillBlueEyes didn't manage them today and he pretty much always does.

bethfromDayton: buffets are definitely an advanced concept for dieters to handle. And by the time you're ready to handle them, they no longer hold any attraction at all. I'd much rather sit down to a meal that is served to me rather than pass by mountains of food in a buffet line. Very Beckian of you to take it as a learning experience and to remember this: "So, two bad hours out of 24."

Bootedkitty: waving back towards Italy!

nationalparker: that sounds like a stressful commute! Take care of yourself today. A movie sounds lovely. What do you need to feel focused again? For me, it's often planning food and exercise the night before and reporting daily here.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #153  

Default new to this site

Hi
my first post, I have been dieting for 4 months and have recently
started with the Beck plan to help keep me motivated.
I am having a hard time remembering to read my cards, I posted reminders but keep looking right past them. If anyone has a good suggestion that
will help me remember, I would appreciate it.
Linda
Old 03-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #154  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I, like BBE, could have planned some things better. Oh, well. Now I am out of time...taking mom to Denver for an eye appt...all the way back up....then back down right by the place we were on the first trip...only she can't drive home. We're off for a few days to visit our friend. I've brought my vitamix, vitamins, healthy foods. credit. Also a knitting (distraction) project AND MY BIKE! credit for healthy habits. I weighed this morning (down) and followed my food plan yesterday. credit.

Welcome, Lulu! I'm an everyday poster at 3fc. For me, the routine of posting translates to a routine with my food/exercise and evolving healthy habits. Best wishes! I look forward to getting to know you!
Old 03-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #155  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtals View Post
I am having a hard time remembering to read my cards, I posted reminders but keep looking right past them. If anyone has a good suggestion that will help me remember, I would appreciate it.
I've shared before that I keep a copy of my Advantages Reponse card on my dresser next to my ring box. Every morning, before I put on my rings, I read my ARC. I also have a "It's easier to stay on plan than to get back on plan" card on my desk propped against my monitor--I can't re-read that one often enough :-).

I'm not always good about re-reading my other cards, but I'm working on it. I keep my "cards" in a file on my computer and usually keep the Word document open to encourage me to read them. I also can access that file from my phone, so that's another way to encourage myself to read them.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #156  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/180/145

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy challenges

I am in somewhat of a funk at the moment. Life at our house has been stressful lately (more than our "normal" stress) and I am realizing ALL of the "reasons" I have for emotional eating. They all seem to be staring me directly in the face (and belly) all at once. I began to journal about it yesterday, but I am overwhelmed with all of the emotions churning inside me right now. It feels like there is just too much to write/think about, but I will keep at it until I come to some realizations and peace ~ through writing. I appreciate the input that some of you posted for me. No, I have NOT been planning my food ahead of time ~ which I know is not helping. I have also NOT been logging my food lately. I know I need to "get back to basics" ~ again ~ but I feel too overwhelmed and emotionally exhausted right now. We are dealing with some health issues with our 13-year-old handicapped daughter and both kids (the other is our 17-year-old son) were home sick yesterday and demanding my attention much of the day, in addition to being at odds with each other. I am trying to tackle my weight and house clutter challenges at the same time. My husband, who tries hard to be supportive, has been saying some things lately that are both sabotaging to my efforts and hurtful. I don't think it is intentional, as he is also under a lot of stress and I am trying to be cognizant of that, but the little "jabs" hurt nonetheless. I have an appointment next week with my therapist, which I know will help, but I am trying to keep everything together "under the surface" for now. It doesn't help to discuss this with my husband. If it isn't something he can solve, then he isn't interested in discussion. Period. Our communication has always been a challenge, and it is even more strained during times of stress and conflict, like now, when we need good communication skills the most. Blah, blah, blah............... I could go on and on, but I have said more than enough and choose to not air any further "dirty laundry" on a public forum. Just please send me strength and any suggestions any of you have for coping "in the meantime." I feel somewhat at the end of my rope, but I am determined to go forward with everything and will not give up on myself or my weight loss journey. I can't. I want to do it for myself and for my children. For right now, I am putting "hubby" on the backburner. I will deal with him later. Thanks for letting me vent and for any feedback you have for me.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #157  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi! I am off to perfrom again. I gotta scoot. This is a link from the Beck Solution, on the subject of slipping, that came through my Facebook today:

http://beckdietsolution.wordpress.co...bbie-slipping/

I'll try and get back later. I promise!

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 03-13-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #158  

S/C/G: 173/162.4/140

Height: 5'7"

Default When it takes as long to dress for the workout, as the workout

Good morning, Becksters! (I agree NationalParker, that has a great sound to it--and I like your association with "roadster"!)

I am giving myself big, big credit and am SO happy! I have stayed OP since Sunday. It's a miracle! The planets have aligned, I've committed myself to planning, and this wonderful forum has been a huge boost and motivator. THANK YOU ALL!

This morning I tarried too long over journaling and my Beck workbook to do a toning/strength workout (ironically, I'm on Day 13: Distractions--so I used Beck to distract myself from the workout--I don't think that's exactly how she intended it), BUT... drum rolllllllll... despite the 6-degree windchill temp and icy snow-dusted roads, I put on layers & layers of clothes plus ice cleats; and Emma the Rocket Dawg and I wogged for 1-1/2 mi. Besides credit, the rewards were many. It was a gorgeous day--blue skies and the sun backlit everything a golden-pink. Tonight is the first run (walk/crawl) with my Couch to 5K group, so I should get in another mile.

Gardenerjoy - Thanks for the great support and suggestions. I know I don't have to do personals--but I really love doing them. It makes me feel more connected to everyone. I do tend to go on, so please do an intervention if I become tiresome. BTW... what does "+75 525/1400 March" mean?

IBelieveinMe2 - I believe in you, too. You are doing such an amazing job, particularly under such duress. The journaling may be tough, but I've found that those pages graciously receive and hold even the most difficult (and sometimes outrageous) of feelings and for me, often save them from spilling over in ways that would be destructive. Please give yourself credit for every big & little positive thing you do. ("I got out of bed this morning! I'm incredible!") Much credit for the love you have for your children and DH (bless his pointed head), and for working through the issues you're facing. Sending good juju your way.

Linda - I've only been on this site for a few days, but I can already tell you that it is AWESOME! My suggestion (and that is helping me) is to get the Beck workbook (avail on Amazon.com) and work through it one day at a time. It only takes a few minutes, and it gives more hands-on reinforcement. It also contains the cards (tear-out, perforated, at the back) and reminders to read them.

Lexxiss - Debbie R - Good luck with your mom's eye appt. Good for you on your planning! (I love both my Vitamix & my bike--although the bike hasn't seen any action since last summer.)

Beth - Thanks for sharing about the buffet. Buffets are not my thing (snacking and red wine are), but I could still relate--the day-after feeling of "#@%* I did it again. I KNOW better. I promised myself...." Yup. Great job on the recovery and seeing the lesson and putting it into perspective. Super you!

Bootedkitty - Ciao, back!

BBE - Good luck with the accountant. I still insist that you're planning REALLY well--most of us are scrambling 4/14 and filing extensions.

NationalParker - DH & I watched Hope Springs a couple weeks ago and really enjoyed it. It has many funny moments, but it went deeper into relationships than I expected--in a good way.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

xo
Liz
Old 03-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #159  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi linda(xtals) and Like Beth, I keep my cards on an open spot of my dresser in the office with special notes on my computer monitor. Just keep trying....Best wishes and glad you're joining us.

IBelieveinMe2, I'm so sorry you've got so much going on. Your situation is so much more difficult than mine yet we share many similar family dynamics. I was reminded today of something I wrote and put on the front of my pink book..."My normal is not normal". It helps me to remember that I need to just keep trying....Coming here every day is comforting and I feel comfortable when I check in...taking time for me. As I keep trying things do get easier...I find things that work and others that don't. Sometimes, for me, following my "plan" is to very simply "just keep trying". Right now I'm in a medical office w/ my mom, but I'm grateful for each moment I find a little time to participate here. ((Hugs))
Old 03-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #160  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I just had a new piece go up on The Huffington Post. I didn't mention Beck in this one, but got in a whole lot of other diet books!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joy-we...b_2838105.html
Old 03-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #161  
LuLu

S/C/G: 168/147/138

Height: 5'7"

I'm still feeling like I'm standing next to the merry-go-round of thoughts that won't stop, waiting for the time to hop on and do this. But I've become an excuse factory, and in the meantime I'm pretty miserable. I'm reading your posts and I want to be you. I want to have a list of things I give myself credit for. Waa, waa, waa . . . I'm such a cry baby. Just do it, Lulu . . . right?
Old 03-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #162  

S/C/G: 210/192.8/155

Hi Becksters,
Well here I am. Oddly, feeling pretty good right now. I'll take it! I think I'm feeling a little better because I'm going out of town for a conference tomorrow. I felt pretty good most of the day. I took a few hours this morning to complete a project at home. I've been trying to get it done for 3 weeks and keep getting interrupted. It is a relief to have it done rather than stressing over it. I'm not good at doing some things on "my time". I give away enough of my time that I don't get paid for, I just wasn't willing to on this one.
Yesterday was awful....one of my diabetic students came to my office, sicker than a dog. Turns out she hadn't checked her blood sugar or taken any insulin for 3 days. Her blood sugar was too high for my meter to read. I'm just sick about it. I've been her school nurse for 5 years. I spent a long time with her mom on the phone today, mom thinks she's depressed. I'm so sad for her. Also got a report about a 6th grader who confided in another staff member that he's hearing voices. He's been seen talking to the "voices". It started 2 months ago and the parents have done absolutely NOTHING. And, yesterday a coworker told me she has a tumor in her leg that's grown 4" since her last x-ray. Then I got news that a former co-worker's 24 year old son died last week. It was either a drug overdose or a suicide. No wonder I couldn't sleep last night.

Yoga was easy peasy. It was canceled because the teacher was ill. I'm looking forward to the class because an friend that I've lost touch with is in it. Oh well, there's always next week.

I weighed in at JC yesterday. I gained 0.6 pounds. I'm not surprised, I earned it by eating too many salty snacks at my party. My counselor there recommended that I get some of the "super juices" because I haven't been able to eat very well. I got one of those green ones that looks like bile and guess what? It didn't taste like bile at all!

I'm working on my insomnia with meditation cd's and relaxation cd's. I can't find the one that came highly recommended, but will keep looking.

I probably won't be around for a few days so everyone have a great rest of week. I'll be home on Sunday.

JuliaTryingToHoldHerStuffTogether
Old 03-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #163  

S/C/G: 210/192.8/155

Welcome Lizanga-love the glasses and your sense of humor!
And welcome LuLu. I could have written your post. Post often and read. The support from people who share your food/weight issues is invaluable. You are not alone and you'll get there with the support of this group.

OnebyOne: Your week sounds wonderful! I hope you have a very creative and relaxing week. Are you going with people you know already?

BBEAs you can guess, I have immense empathy for you on the tax issue. I hope your outcome is better than mine.

BethI admire your reaction to overindulging at the buffet. I think recognizing where and why you strayed is real learning.

NationalParker Ouch on the white knuckle commute. I hate driving on the freeway when it's icy. I share the road with too many idiots. Luckily, I only have to drive a few blocks to work. We haven't had much snow this year which I'm thankful for. I'm in the same spot with losing focus. It's HARD.

GardnerJoy Your presentation sounds interesting. I'm going to go read your reviews

Lexxiss You sure get around! Have a good time with your friend!

My dear IBelieveInMe2. I'm sorry you are having such a bad time of it. ((hugs)). You sound like I feel. Be gentle with yourself until things turn around. My advice is to scale back on expectations until things are more settled for you. One thing I'm doing is accepting "maintaining" as good enough for right. Just take some baby steps. I agree with putting DH on the back burner. LOL, deal with him later. My thoughts are with you, keep journaling and checking in here. When I'm stressed and feeling overwhelmed, I try to do ONE thing that I can be successful doing. One thing often leads to another. Even if it doesn't I congratulate myself for accomplishing that ONE thing.

JuliaBetterGetPacking!
Old 03-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #164  
persist

S/C/G: 290/286/150

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLu01801 View Post
I'm still feeling like I'm standing next to the merry-go-round of thoughts that won't stop, waiting for the time to hop on and do this. But I've become an excuse factory, and in the meantime I'm pretty miserable. I'm reading your posts and I want to be you. I want to have a list of things I give myself credit for. Waa, waa, waa . . . I'm such a cry baby. Just do it, Lulu . . . right?

Yay Lulu! You are one of us because... *CREDIT* for POSTING and CHECKING IN with your COACHES.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #165  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Hi all! (doesn't BigChiefDavid call us Becksters, too?)

Last night, when I was about to go to bed, I realized I hadn't entered today's stuff into MFP. I wanted to go to bed, but instead I took the time to do it--about 5 minutes or so--because I knew I wouldn't do it in the morning.

Food was mostly to plan today--had to swap the planned cantaloupe for strawberries and raspberries due to the condition of said cantaloupe, but everything else was planned. When I looked at my final numbers, though, I had planned too many carbs and not enough protein. There's room for improvement but it's much better than it was 2 weeks ago! (And it's what happens when I don't plan earlier in the evening when I'm not too tired to think about adjustments.)

Exercise was OP, too.

I'm getting a bit overwhelmed with all the things for our big event. It starts a week from Friday. There's a lot to get done between now and then. I'm trying not to let it interfere with my careful attention to my dietary and exercise needs.

LuLu01801: Welcome! With previous CBT work I've done, I was told to pick one type of distorted thinking and concentrate on that one. Sure, there were other instances (lots of them) of distorted thinking that I didn't "think back" at--but after doing two weeks with one, and two weeks with another, the rest fell into place much more easily. It also helps to think about your successes in small increments. So, if you ate standing up while prepping dinner, give yourself credit for eating sitting down the rest of the day, for recognizing you'd done it and stopping. If you thought of it as a successful/unsuccessful day, you wouldn't give yourself any credit--but you could have succeeded for two meals and a snack, and only taken 2 bites standing up instead of what you would normally have done--give yourself credit for your successes.

gardenerjoy: I liked your article. Thanks for sharing it with us! That's interesting about the farms--I hadn't thought about the number/size of farms issue before.

Lizagna: Big credits for staping OP since Sunday--resistance muscles are wonderful things! I'm impressed that you're walking outside in this weather, but I'm sure Emma the Rocket Dawg appreciated it!

BeverlyJoy: I hope your performance went well! I read the In Session--it's important for me to realize that these skills cannot be temporary if I'm going to lose weight and keep it off. They have to be permanent.

IBelieveInMe2: You can do this--and you deserve a lot of credit for reaching out for support and help. We're on your side.

Lexxiss: Have a wonderful and relaxing time with your friend.

xtals: Welcome! I think I am going to strew more of my cards all over the house. What if you skipped the reminders and just had the cards there to read?

BillBE: I hope your tax visit with the accountant went well. I just want you to know how much I love your daily personals. I had a little twinge of "aw" when I saw you didn't have time for them this morning.

Bootedkitty: We will manage to beat our cravings--and for a while, for me, that will mean avoiding the source of temptation. How are you doing now that you're not keeping a food diary?

nationalparker: I keep reading studies that say it doesn't matter what time you eat, and it might, not across a large enough sample, but I think it definitely does to individuals! Credit for recognizing that and thinking about it. How are your eyes doing?

onebyone: Your residency sounds incredibly exciting and a terrific opportunity. Planning food like that is a bit daunting (not having a grocery store at an easy distance), but it sounds like you have a really workable plan.

Julia150: Working with kids is so hard--and I admire your compassion and caring. I hope your conference is a happy thing!

Take care, all.
Closed Thread