Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #226  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Welcome Xena2013!

In a hurry this morning. My son's teacher reassigned my volunteer music teaching to next week so I thought, "That is a sign from God to revise another story." So now I am to get my morning posts/business done, get to my hair appt. and cook dinner before I bury myself in the office again today.

Nice surprise from the scale, down one pound from ticker (for whatever reason) food is planned for the day. Exercise was step class.

BBE: What do you think of the OmniParker hotel? Is it close to Fenway?
Wave to all.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #227  
LuLu

S/C/G: 168/147/138

Height: 5'7"

hi everybody!
again, thanks for all you words of wisdom, it's helpful.
I've been aware of my eating standing up habit and paying attention to it.
hoping that, with enough time, I will break the habit.
I'm moving slow in the book, not sure why.
my heart and soul wants to dive in head first and go full speed ahead with the program.
but why do I sit back and dabble in it instead?
Old 03-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #228  

S/C/G: 173/162.4/140

Default Further behind than ever before earlier

iHola, Coaches!

Wow, I missed y'all over the weekend. Saturday started at 6 am, & the weekend didn't slow down until I went to bed last night. As a result, I did no planning for Saturday; and my consumption showed it. Blah! Yesterday morning before we left for Milwaukee, I planned, made two new ARCs:

ST: This doesn't matter.
RC: Yes! It does. My larger goal is accomplished with thousands of tiny, individual decisions--and this is one of them.

ST: It's [the weekend] [my birthday] [a special event] [fill in the blank], and I deserve a little break.
RC: No. The break is with what will help me lose weight, and interfering with what will make me feel best. Make choices right now for which Future Liz will say "thank you" every day.

and took along OP snacks. When we finally got home after the day in MKE & having brunch with my nonegenarian, sweet-but-totally-self-absorbed in-laws, I refrained from breaking the neck off a gin bottle and chugging it. CREDIT! Anyway, bad Saturday, but great on exercise and otherwise OP. Credit.

Oh, also, DH commented that I'm eating and drinking much more slowly--finishing way after him, which never used to happen. I have always been a fast eater, but for some reason this one has been fairly easy for me.

I am starting the process of saying good-bye to my hair. A friend in Germany just started chemo & has been freaking out about the prospect of losing her hair--so I'm going to have my head shaved in solidarity 3/29. DH, who is bald, is having more separation anxiety about it than I am. He loves long hair. But he's reluctantly supportive.

GardenerJoy - Big credit for not over-eating on Fri. And your excellent ongoing exercise stats!

Ann (newlifestyle) - Glad you had a great vaca, & major credit for making healthy choices and getting groc right after. Your comment about previously posting personals "regardless of emotional cost to me" says so much. Good for you for taking care of your own needs first!

Maryann - Wow, thesis! And family! And exercise! OH MY! Great job! Also loved what you said about "pruning" the clothes. Congrats on the 10 hrs of writing and doing yoga.

Ibelieveinme2 - Hope you enjoyed marching (credit!) and drinking on St. Paddy's. Glad you are coming out of the hole.

Nola145 - Great awareness in recognizing the sabotaging thoughts and reading the ARCs. Love the snake analogy. (Although, oddly, I really like snakes. Grew up in Texas where the rattlers we had there were more benign than a few of the people.)

BethfromDayton - Waytago on the + water & - DC. Sounds like your event planning is going really well.

Neila - Hi! Congratulations on the breakthroughs with the int'l buddying and a week of healthful eating. Woot!

OnebyOne - Sounds like you're doing great with the food & exercise. Of course you can say you miss meat! I am philosophically a vegetarian, and thus a total hypocrite. Bacon makes everything better.

Lexiss/Debbie R Credit on the food and treating hunger appropriately. That is a major feat. When you mentioned overcoming standing & eating @Costco... I just look at the people standing around like cows at a trough, & don't really want to be part of it. Then when I see kids with runny noses putting their hands all over everything.... that works as a deterrent for me.

NationalParker - I don't think you were ever really off the Beck wagon--you just leaned off to the side a bit. Good for you on the clothes shopping and for taking such good care of yourself. WTG!

Julia150 - Of course we you here! You asked, "Why'd I write all that down?" Because it's part of the fabric of who you are. And we are interested.

Xena2013 - I just got here a week ago. It's a wonderful place!

Rosebud170 - Credit on reading the ARCs! Happy to see you back.

BillBE - As others have noted, U so totally rock! Thank you, thank you, thank you for leading the way with this forum. So appreciated! As for resisting that biscuit--talk about WILL OF STEEL. I'm from the South, and only aspire to that level of strenth.

Lulu - Here's the arc for learning a new skill (which we're all doing here--many skills in fact): unconscious incompetence (totally unaware of eating standing up), conscious incompetence (oops, I did it again); conscious competence (I will FORCE myself to sit down to eat); and unconscious competence (sit down to eat every time without even thinking about it). Any learning curve takes this route and takes time and usually includes the occasional slip-back to lesser evolvement. Keep plugging away at it. You're doing great!

Here's to a wonderful week!

xo
Liz
Old 03-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #229  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy survival mode

Hello Everyone! I just wrote a long post, but I think I lost it (in more ways than one ). I am in survival mode right now. St. Patrick's Day was fun and festive, as always, but back to stress within our little family today. It is getting worse. Ate some comfort food today, but it didn't help.... surprise! Weight loss feels too hard right now, but I will not give up the battle. I need to be strong and healthy for ALL of my battles ahead of me. That can only HELP matters! Thank you for being here for me! Hugs to those who are also struggling and congrats to those doing well. CREDIT for checking in. It's about all I have time and energy for at the moment. Will attempt personals another day.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #230  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi coaches - glad to have my computer working!

I've made it through the day well, so far. Grateful. Today I REALLY wanted some chocolate all day long. However, I used my resistance techniques to say NO CHOICE and got through it. Grateful for that too.

Welcome -- Xena2013! Glad you posted.

Lizagna - [B][COLOR= you said: [I]DH commented that I'm eating and drinking much more slowly--finishing way after him, which never used to happen.[/I] It's wonderful that he's noticed that. Credit for both of you!

Ibelieveinu2 - glad to hear that you are rereading The Beck Diet Solution again. You said: Yes, I can relate to the feeling that concentrating on eating healthy is a full-time job ~ and it feels like there is no time or effort left to devote to anything else. It can really get me down and frustrated if I let it, but ~ especially at these times ~ I really try to focus on ONE day or even ONE meal at a time It is just something I have to ~ and, more importantly, I CHOOSE to ~ do if I want to keep my weight in check. I do sometimes resent that food and weight loss consume so much of my effort, but that is where all of the Beck principles come into play for me. Thanks for the reminder.... we need to do what we need to do.

Neilia - We're on the same page. Maybe even the same sentence. I spent nearly two hours every day this week, digging in, journaling and holding myself accountable. I worry, often, that it isn't sustainable. Or begrudge the spent time that could have been invested elsewhere.

But then I think about all the time that I've spent struggling over a food decision and then feeling guilty when I didn't make the healthful choice. Or the times that I've binged and was consequently too stuffed to be productive thereafter.
Thanks for your thoughts... yes, if I wasn't spending the time on overeating, I would likely be bingeing and having to 'deal' with all that comes along with it.

gardenerjoy - you said: Six hours is almost a full-time job! I can totally relate to spending that much time and energy on eating healthfully too. Yes - it can spend that much time overeating, for sure. Thanks for your thoughts.

Hope you've had a good day.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 03-18-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #231  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

I didn't make it "in" this morning and won't be here tomorrow, either. I have to be packed for after work travel and am picking my coworker up at 530am. Food was OP both yesterday and today. I feel a cold coming on...I'm in bed w/laptop right now.

Welcome Xena!
Old 03-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #232  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Just a short note from me since the evening has slipped away from me. Food OP today. I had an urge for one of those ice cream treat bars--and talked myself right out of it--"that's not one of your options", I told myself. (My wording of "NO CHOICE".) Ice cream treat is still in the freezer.

I had that same conversation with myself about climbing stairs today--"not an option--you don't have to feel like it." And so, I climbed the silly stairs. 3 different times today.

So, an OP day, even if I was fighting myself a bit. I'm starting to really feel the stress of this weekend's coming event--and that's not really like me. I just planned out tomorrow's food and I'm going to try and get some rest. Oh--and I texted to see if I could get a massage tomorrow after work! I'm not sure I have time for it but it would help a lot!
Old 03-19-2013, 12:28 AM   #233  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up It was a dark and stormy night,

Hello Coaches

Cold. Windy. Stormy. So I went out to the pier to see what that was like and well, it was cold and windy and the waves were crashing on and over the pier so I stayed off of it. Smart I thought.

I realized this morning I have never been in a situation where I actually HAD to ration my food. Never, Not once. And here I am, on this island, being protective of my...butter! I still have half a loaf of bread but could have eaten that 6x over by now but had to say NO and NO CHOICE as if I want more I have to take a ferry off island to get it and pay $7 to do that and then $7 to come back. I had already made the decidion to just stay put until the residency is over on Friday morning at 11am. So, with 4 fruits to go (celery and gritty-on-the-inside blueberries still await me) I am learning to ration my food, eat smaller portions, and truly appreciate what I have and the little treats that come my way. Planning is a BIG part of this. I am also vegetarian still. The Aussie writer who is here working on a novel, and whose book of short stories I bought today, has an enormous steak every night. My artist friends cringe. I just look at it longingly hoping he can't see me stare with big Bambi eyes, lest he mistake my longing for something else...

Today I went out for a walk *credit* and we started our second drawing (4' x18') which won't be resolved until Wednesday as one of our members goes off-island tomorrow. While me and S work en plein aire on paintings, if the weather cooperates, and inside if it doesn't. We are excited to see her go and when she returns she may bring back...bananas!!!!

Ok time for bed. to one and all.

Last edited by onebyone; 03-19-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:56 AM   #234  
Italian Sunny Girl!

S/C/G: 63/52.5/52

Height: 1,63 mt

Quick Ciao, as usual! Terrible day yesterday! During the night it snowed so much and the streets were very dirty...going to work just a few km from home I slipped with my car on the ice and went against a sidewalk...uff... two flat tires! I lost a lot of time taking the car to the mechanics, but fortunately I didn't hurt myself.
And I have to say I've been "a good girl" because even if I was sad for the accident and for the money I'll have to spend for the car...I didn't "wreak" on food... oh well... I hope these coming days will be better.
Ah, for whom doesn't know it, or for whom is interested in becoming vegetarian, I read a nice book (bought on saturday, finished on sunday) it's not new but I found it interesting it's "Skinny B....". You may have heard about it.
Have a good day!
Hugs

Last edited by Bootedkitty; 03-19-2013 at 02:57 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:58 AM   #235  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – When walking, CREDIT moi, I stopped to chat with a friend who was also out for a walk. It amazes me that I'm surprised to meet someone that I know when I'm out within walking distance of my house. It's as if my focus on walking changes that I actually live around here, LOL.

Food was OKish - I'm attempting to get back into full rigor after a delightful, although indulgent, weekend. There's snow on the ground outside right now - I know what my morning exercise is going to be.

onebyone – Amazing that you really have to ration your food for the week. There must be some way we could work that notion into our real lives.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for the joy of spotting the "forest." I hate it when someone else leaves food that will perish if I don't consume it - like that's my problem.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Two day OP is worth Kudos.

Beverlyjoy – Kudos for throwing " NO CHOICE" at chocolate - wish I'd had you with me this weekend.

maryann - Always a nice sign, "food is planned for the day."

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Count me as also a believer, "it is my choice to be on plan."

nationalparker – Saluting the "club of the next decaders" - a new name for me, for sure. Kudos for being aware that snacking interferes with planned meals.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Yay for an ice cream treat that still lives in the freezer. And Kudos for those stairs climbed.

IBelieveInMe2 – A great rallying cry, "but I will not give up the battle." Hope you find some relief from stress.

Julia (Julia150) – Congrats for raising a DD who can be so supportive. Saved summer clothes is a terrific motivator.

Kitty (Bootedkitty) – Ouch for the blown car tires - Yay that it wasn't worse. Monster Kudos that you didn't "wreak" on food about it. Let us know how you like Skinny B*tch - folks tend to love it or hate it with passion.

Liz (lizagna) – Love this ARC, "My larger goal is accomplished with thousands of tiny, individual decisions--and this is one of them." That's a good one for when the zillion folks whisper in our ear, "Oh one can't hurt you." [LOL at "WILL OF STEEL" - biscuits do have a special draw.]

Lulu (LuLu01801) – Moving slowly through the Beck book isn't bad - the important thing is to concentrate on the strategies so that they can become second nature. Kudos for paying attention to eating while standing.

Xena2013 – Oh YES, my absolute favorite, ""Hunger is not an emergency."

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4
How to Use the Beck Diet Solution

A Task a Day

You'll have a new task to complete every day for the next six weeks. You'll perform some tasks only once. Others you'll do daily or weekly. The program is designed for you to progress one day at a time so that you can learn one skill before moving on to the next.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 46.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #236  

S/C/G: 210/192.8/155

Height: 5'2"

Well, the hits just keep on coming. We may have to put our dog to sleep.

I've got a stressful day today. The students start filming our training video today. They have a really good teacher who will keep them on track but I suspect it is not going to be easy sailing.

OneByOne Loved the humor in your post today. It must seem strange to ration.

I guess that the 190 was a teaser yesterday. The first time I stepped on the scale this morning I SAW A NUMBER IN THE 180'S. But no, it was an error but still.... It's coming! Today was up a half pound. It'll get there.

No time for personals today. But know that I appreciate all of you and your support.
Julia
Old 03-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #237  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Quick check-in. I followed my plan precisely yesterday when I finally wrote it. Credit! I just wrote my plan for today so that I could report to my coaches that I had one. Credit, again!

Exercise: +75 790/1400 March
Old 03-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #238  
LuLu

S/C/G: 168/147/138

here's a question for all you Becksters . . .
how do you ever just sit and eat without distraction?
I eat alone at home and typically surf the web, write emails, facebook, etc. while I'm eating.
at work I eat at my desk, I'm either working or poking around online.
I can't imagine just sitting there and doing nothing but eating.
I'm too much of a busybody.
HELP!!
Old 03-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #239  

S/C/G: 173/162.4/140

Default Windchilly

Good morning, coaches!

I planned and was OP yesterday. This morning I took a planned day off from exercise. (Windchill -4. Even Emma the Rocket Dawg didn't complain about missing THAT wog!) And I have my eating plan in place today. Similar to my quest for immortality: so far, so good....

Joy (GardenerJoy) - Congrats on being OP and planning! CREDIT! You are a magnificent role model.

Julia (Julia 150) - I'm so sorry about your dog. We had to put our ancient coonhound down in December. We had adopted her and our cat, Oreo, from the humane society 5 yrs ago as a bonded pair (they were both 10 & had been together since puppy/kitten). Oreo was so devastated when Jazz passed, he quit eating (visits to vet -> no underlying health issues other than broken heart), and we had to put him down a few weeks later. So I would feel your grief regardless, but particularly with that experience so close. You and your dog are in my thoughts, and I hope for the very best. - Good luck with the video! Hope it goes well, and glad you're working with a great teacher!

BillBE - LOL about walking around your neighborhood vs. living there. There is something about being outside and moving with purpose that turns it into a new universe. When I'm out wogging the roads I've been taking for years, sometimes I pretend I'm a visitor who's seeing it for the first time; and it makes for a neat experience.

Lulu - You have to be willing to change something if you're going to create change.

BootedKitty - So sorry about your car wreck, but BIG CREDIT for not wrecking your eating. I'm glad you're safe.

Onebyone - Loved hearing about the food rationing. (Would not love to do it....) Great job!

Beth (Bethfromdayton) - Fantastic job on OP food & exercise and your use of internal RCs with the "no choice". Rock on!

Debbie (Lexiss) - Credit OP and planning! Fend off that cold. Take Zicam as though it's a food group.

BeverlyJoy - SO glad you got your computer working again. It can be both frustrating and isolating when they're on the blink. WTG with staying OP and using your "No Choice" resistance muscle!

IBelieveinMe2 - Credit for checking in. Glad St P's was good, and sorry you're having to deal with the family stresses again. Sending hugs. Hang in there. You know we all believe in you. You'll get through this.

Have a great day, everyone!

xo
Liz
Old 03-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #240  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Happy Spring Eve, everyone ... it's not -4 here but it is in the 20s with the wind chill and I'm so ready, along with everyone else, I'm sure, for the winter thaw. I feel much more alive when I'm warm.

Did well enough yesterday - not perfect, but I don't know that I'll ever attain that. Gave DH the meal choices for dinner and he picked shredded bbq chicken sandwiches on wheat buns, veg. baked beans and caprese salad and exclaimed over how good it all was.

Tomorrow is the court date, unless we find that it's delayed again. (Since AUGUST!) ... every month or few weeks another dang delay and I'm over-the-top frustrated. But trying to stay positive.

Julia - I'm SO so sorry to hear about your dog. Do keep us posted - how difficult to go through this on top of everything else. Hopefully not, but I know the feeling of having to consider.

OneByOne - Did the banana boat arrive? I loved reading about your rationing, as well. There's a weird part of me that believes a part of my spirit was around for the wwii rationing as I'm so interested/intrigued by that, and thankful that I don't have to save coupons for gasoline, etc.

Lizagna - LOVE "wogging" the roads. I wog with my dog. She clearly expects me to do an all-out sprint, like she does. Silly pooch.

Bill - You are doing a great job on the activity outdoors! Hope there wasn't too much snow to shovel - I haven't seen the news/weather, only noticed that they were up to "U" on the winter storm naming. Do they end when winter ends and begin spring storms with "A" tomorrow?

Lulu - I can only eat without distraction when I'm eating with another person. I honestly think I'm just as distracted with lively conversation as I am with a book or movie, though...

BootedKitty - Thankful that you're safe after the icy drive, but a tough unexpected expense with the two tires. Be careful! And kudos to you for not wrecking your meal plan!!

Beth - Good vibes coming through to you for this weekend's gathering. Sounds like there will be food galore. Maybe review your accomplishments so far right before you head off to it - and maybe wear a piece of jewelry that is a symbol of your hard work so far - so when you glance at it, you bring yourself back to being centered with the food. You are doing GREAT so far!

Lexxiss - Hope you're able to stave off that cold! Take care of yourself. (Are the sumos gone? It must be the lack of that Vitamin C...) We never got in sumos at my markets. I didn't research where to actually FIND them, though.

Hi to everyone else - ran out of time on my lunch!!
Closed Thread