Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 10:30 PM   #46  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Food--hmm. Not so OP today. Breakfast was OP. Lunch was an unexpected meal out due to a schedule change, but I kept within parameters. I abandoned the treats baked today and had BFF finish getting them into the freezer, so credit for that. The dinner out (another fact-finding Chinese restaurant) did not go so well. I knew as I was doing it that I wasn't following my plan, and the dessert was an "oh whatever" on top of it all.

I just re-read that paragraph--only dinner was off plan. The rest of the day went well--I need to give myself credit for that. And decide I'm not going to another Chinese buffet until and unless I've worked my resistance muscle more! (For all practical purposes, today was a weekend day.)

But that was today, and today is over. Tomorrow is a work day and I'll get back into my routine and groove.

Exercise was good today (a WATP workout).

So I had a "flubbed it" dinner. I didn't have anything additional at home (and didn't want anything else, for that matter.) I've got a plan for tomorrow, and need to keep in mind that I really do best with a plan.

Take care, all.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #47  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Talking Happy Birthday, Lexxiss!!!

Happy Birthday, Lexxiss!!! I can just see you soaking in the springs and sipping on a smoothie! Whatever you did, I hope that you had a wonderful day!

maryann: You certainly hit on something!!! Interesting that "the one thing I do have control of (my own actions) is the one thing I don't take responsibility for." I do not think your realization is small or insignificant. It is very helpful and I have had similar "aha" moments, too. Thank you for sharing!

nationalparker: I am with you on being so over the winter and looking forward to the spring and warmer weather!!! I can't wait!

gardenerjoy: CREDIT to you for being back at it!

BillBlueEyes: HOORAY for only one serving of pot roast! CREDIT for exercising that resistance muscle!

bethFromDayton: Way to go on WATP! How do you like it? I have an old VHS tape of Leslie Sansone's and have considered getting a new DVD to use. Happy cooking!

Beverlyjoy: Way to survive the bridal shower food! Good choices! Did I understand correctly that today was YOUR birthday, too?!? HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!!!

Nola145: CREDIT for eliminating sugar and flour and for planning! Sounds like you have the "recipe" for success! Interesting that you "made" yourself have seconds to get over your fear of messing up. Sounds like it worked for you. Way to know yourself and your needs!

onebyone So sorry about Looloo! I hope things turn around for her soon! Congrats on being accepted to art camp!

Newlifestyle: CREDIT for recognizing your sabotaging thoughts about posting perfection. I feel the same way, but try to get in as many personals as I can anyway; at least to those who have most recently posted. And a quick "to everyone else" will hopefully suffice.

to BigchiefDavid, Julia150, and everyone else!!!

Last edited by IBelieveInMe2; 03-04-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 260.6/250.4/145.0

Height: 5' 5"

Hi Coaches: A quick check in. I was OP with food today but I have not yet read my day 14 lesson. Nor have I gotten my walking in. Will do both in the next half hour. Tomorrow I am starting the two-day-a-week fasting tweak I hope to make to my food plan. On Tuesday and Friday, I will cut to 720 calories, and eat 1800 the other five days. This 60% reduction qualifies as fasting and offers great health bennies aside from weight loss. I tried to do it before and got completely obsessed by food. Now that I'm 2 weeks into the Beck Diet book I feel like I have tools I did not have before. Plus I've gotten used to planning and counting calories over the past two weeks. I have three sample 720 days already planned out. Credit for planning. Since 720 calories doesn't go very far, I'll also be practicing being okay with being hungry.
Thanks for being here, coaches, and for all your supportive messages to me.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:16 AM   #49  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Talking

Just completed 3 days in a row of at least 30 minutes of exercise ~ despite this nasty, persistent migraine! Very proud of myself and had to share my good news!
Old 03-05-2013, 06:04 AM   #50  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Good walk in the sunshine, CREDIT moi. Headed out for another walk in the evening to a meeting, but was hit by the rain so took the car instead. My brain is trying to take credit for good intentions, but my cardio system isn't sympathetic to the degree of nobility behind failure to exercise, LOL.

Food was good enough, CREDIT moi. I had more opportunities than I accepted. At my meeting, a mini-cupcake was about to follow me home but I found another taker. She was grateful and I was grateful - at least that's the way I'm filing my food pushing in my own mind.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for normal. Kudos for having a normal that's on your path.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Happy Birthday - may you have many more. That's a lot of cormorant nests - what a find. Kudos for having gotten yourself in good shape.

Beverlyjoy – Happy Birthday - with many more to follow. I love the regularity of your Hong Kong sea bass; it's good to be reminded that one can have a plan in their pocket for each of their regular restaurants. And thanks for "and it GETS EASIER!"

maryann - Almost hurts when it's this simple, "when the meal is over it is over." [You can have my Mac and Cheese when they pry it from my cold dead fingers, LOL.]

nationalparker – All your cold weather is drifting down from up North; South Park says it's OK to Blame Canada, LOL. Glad you also liked Quartet - no one got up to leave as the trailer showed those pictures and let the singing continue - such fun. Was it the new, improved Olive Garden? [Confused here: thought you did see Quartet?]

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Ouch for Chinese - even "fact-finding Chinese"- whatever that means, LOL. Maybe they have the Hong Kong Sea Bass that Beverlyjoy always orders. Kudos for keeping off-plan to a single meal and continuing to charge forth.

IBelieveInMe2 – 3 times 30 Kudos for continuing your exercise despite the migraine.

Nola (Nola145) – Sounds like you'll have opportunity to experience real hunger, and to practice returning to planned eating rather than over-compensating eating.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
How Thin People Think
the solution at a glance
  • No matter what your mindset is like today, you can learn how to change it, not only to lose weight, but also to make sure that you keep it off - permanently.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 43.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #51  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up before I leave this morning

Coaches

Well I wote a post for yesterday-just forgot to post it here!

Well scale weigh-in this morning was better, so *credit for tracking weighing, checking in (-1.5lbs today to yesterday's +0.4)). Kept my meals to a minimum.

An exciting day for me today as the art store may have my new printing press delivered today! If they don't get it from the warehouse, then it's coming from Brazil=new press in 4 weeks. Either way though it's goooood. UPDATE: got the call & it's here --going to pick it up tonight with DH as it could be heavy

I'm planning my food today to be as salt free as I can manage. I'm making sure to drink my water and will aim to do some exercise. Yesterday I walked outside instead of the WATP dvd I'd planned. *credit*

And Looloo is hanging in there. Her recovery is much slower than last time when it seemed that after 2 days she was just herself again. Such a good little cat. We're having a tough time coaxing her to eat though, and she needs to eat. She's only 5 3/4lbs! She lost 1/4 lb in the last 9 months. The vet wants to see her at 7lbs. Otherwise she has done all her cat things again, but not as long, and not as often, and she is still stuffed up. I can hear her breathe still and see her whole body move when she does. Don't like that at all. UPDATE: she's in the sunny window. *credit for the sun shining and for Looloo seeking it out. I believe it will help her little body heal.

So, that's how I'm starting the day today.
Hope all is well with you.

Bye.

Last edited by onebyone; 03-05-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #52  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Quick note here. Not a great day yesterday and got home (alone as DH was enjoying his fave stores - guitar center and REI) ... and immediately decided I must destress - with baked scoops and pico de gallo. Kept it under 100 calories but WHY? Then started making dinner as I was hungry and made way too much, added in corn and had that, too - reasonable 1/3 cup portion, but STILL. I was in a cranky mood and it continues this morning, apparently, after being awoken by two cats dueling from opposite sides of our bedroom door - whappity, whappity, bang, clunk, slap - as our doors to the bedroom meet in the middle and have a little play because of that. Instead of being thankful that I have pets I love and good shelter in the winter, a warm bed, I was cranky that I had to get out of said bed and deal with the pets I love. Ha ha!

Need a better coping strategy - perhaps i should actually follow my plan tonight. Argh! So disappointed with myself from yesterday evening.

Bill - I was wondering if you'd seen The Late Quartet? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1226240/ I wanted to see it but haven't yet. Did love Quartet ... I just missed the Late Quartet as it left our artsy theatres a few weeks ago, I think. I keep calling it the LAST Quartet by accident.

BeverlyJoy - SO SORRY I missed your birthday! Sounds like it was a wonderful one. Continue to celebrate the week/month! I had a friend who celebrated her birthday month - not in food/cake, but in gatherings with friends, movies, etc., and so I've adopted that! Why not, right?
Old 03-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #53  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Quick check-in. Food and exercise went according to plan yesterday. I have a plan today but I need to find the willingness to close the kitchen while DH is out of the house. We worked out that strategy a couple of weeks ago so I'm going to dust that off and implement it today.

I intend to exercise a lot this week. I have a note in my tickler for March that says that exercise helps me sleep and sleep helps me cope with the "Spring Forward" time change. Some years, it's taken me a couple of weeks to recover from that and I want it to go more smoothly this year.

Exercise: +80 140/1400 minutes for March
Old 03-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi coaches... Today I made myself some black bean hummus and it was terrible. ( usually use garbonzo beans) I ended up throwing my lunch portion away. Two things came to mind. I should eat it anyway. And, why eat it if it doesn't taste good. The latter 'won'. I didn't end up eating it. Maybe I can fix what's left later. (add some cumin and almond butter, maybe). I am worth eating food that tastes good.

I realized last night that I didn't have any cake or 'goodies' in honor of my birthday. DH didn't tell the restaurant it was my birthday... who needs the cake they offer?? really? Credit to him and me for making a the right decision. I did have one cookie at the bridal shower on Sunday. (thoughtfully selected).

On Saturday we will gather with cousins/sil/stepmom from two other states for a March birthday party celebration. I have two cousins that have the same exact birthday as me. Also birthdays on March 9, 13, 26, & 30. I am bringing the salad. I know what is being served... so I can plan around that.

I saw the dentist and will get my tooth fixed later. It is a tooth with a root canal so it doesn't hurt at all.

I hope you are all having a good day.

bethfromdayton - credit for giving yourself credit!! - for staying mostly on plan. Hop right back to it and you'll be fine. I don't think I could do a Chinese buffet either.

onebyone - YAY on seeing the scale go down. I too watch my sodium. EVERYTHING processed, it seems, has loads of salt. It's a challenge. I love cottage cheese... but, the salt is so high. So, now I am getting into lowfat Ricotta with only 55mg of sodium for 1/4 cup. Finding some switches.

nationalparker - I like your friend's idea of celebrating a birthday month. Our family is gathering soon for another celebration... so, we are on our way. I understand totally about eating measured food and it still feels unplanned and/or bingey. Sometime's our fur-kids can be annoying. But, soon they are a sparkle in our live's again.

Ibelieveinme
- yes, it was my birthday, too, yesterday. Thanks for the birthday good wishes.

Nola - so glad you are finding the Beck techniques helpful. Some folks do the book slowly and some do it strictly each day after the other. Either is OK. I find planning so helpful too. It keep the thoughts of: "What will I eat now?" from spinning around in your mind. It's because it's planned. Carry on.

billbe - phooey on the rain that spoiled your walking plans. Kudo's for keeping that cupcake from jumping in your pocket

onebyone - YAY on seeing the scale go down. I too watch my sodium. EVERYTHING processed, it seems, has loads of salt. It's a challenge. I love cottage cheese... but, the salt is so high. So, now I am getting into lowfat Ricotta with only 55mg of sodium for 1/4 cup. Finding some switches.

gardenjoy - great to hear that your food went well yesterday. Also - it's good to get out things that have worked in the past. It's a good reminder to me... that I should put the chair in front of the fridge to remind myself the kitchen is 'closed', I forgot about it when we got back from our trip. Thanks for the reminder!

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 03-06-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 194.8/169.6/155

Hello Everyone,

I have not checked in for awhile. Busy weekend, probably vacuumed more than necessary but it's actually enjoyable with a nice new central vac. Sure works well at picking up all the dog hair. Need to tackle the back seat of my car as I forgot to put the dog's blanket in last time and you can sure tell. Weight was up on Sunday and I didn't want to log it but realized that I was only lying to myself if I didn't change it. Not sure the WW online program would care either way what I put for a number. Have adjusted my signature here too.

Very busy at home with the return of winter on Sunday, we got about 6 - 7" of snow, not much in comparison to BBE this year but does slow us down a bit. At least it was on Sunday so travel to work yesterday was not impacted once we got out of our neighborhood. Today is a bright, sunny day with a temp around -7C. Pretty tolerable for March and it is our snowiest month.

Exercise has been walking the dogs lots, have not been to the gym for awhile, need to get that scheduled again.

Well back to my desk and to everyone!
Old 03-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #56  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

First off, thanks for all the birthday good wishes! A belated Happy Birthday to Beverlyjoy (don't recall that I remember we March Forth together)!

I am noticing more and more that my internet is spotty and undependable. I'm finding it more difficult to depend on posting at a certain time. I live about 2 blocks N of I-70 on the major corridor to SkiCountry...over 10 areas within 60 miles of here. Spring skiing/spring break brings record amounts of tourists in addition to Coloradoans. I have found year after year that the cell towers in our tiny town get totally jammed. I'll try to post as I can.

Yesterday OP, today (so far) OP. I weighed this morning and planned my day. credit. No unplanned eating at work. I'm really feeling like my mojo is returning (perhaps not coincidentally) with better weather and more light. I got a notebook out and put it on my bedside table for writing new ideas as my "life plan" evolves. I've dedicated a desk in my office for my dieting/healthful lifestyle. Now, after birthday week, I hope to settle in a bit.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #57  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

On to personals....and a PS

PS Credit for pitching the rest of the birthday cake this morning!

BillBlueEyes, love that strategy of sending the proverbial cupcake home with someone who is "grateful". Lol and credit.

Tazzy, thanks for checking in and updating us on your progress (and the pups). PS vacuuming the car sounds like spontaneous exercise to me.

Beverlyjoy, great job not eating the food you prepared but did not enjoy. Perhaps you can tweak it but if not it's ok to let it go.

gardenerjoy, great that you are planning ahead for the time change with exercise! I lived in Alaska so long and dealt with such extremes that I don't seem to notice.

nationalparker, love your cat story….well I see that food did not fix cranky but credit for making reasonable choices. Thanks for the happy thought of a new year of progress forward. I must say that I am looking forward to this year. February marked a solid year of decluttering/home improvement ala Beck and I am most looking forward to this new year with many less environmental burdens.

onebyone, yay for releasing salt-induced weight. ...and yay for a plan which keeps the sodium down. (hope you got your printing press)

IBelieveInME2, kudos for 3 days of consistent exercise despite your migrane. (thanks for sharing your success)PS I had to work on my BD but hot springs and smoothies sounded great!

Nola, best wishes as you start your two day a week fast. Now that you have your Beck tools handy you'll have options as you give it another try.

BethFromDayton, great that you were able to re-evaluate your day and look at the positive stuff, too. I still enjoy Chinese occasionally but try to stay out of the buffets.

Maryann, yay for many successes over the past few days. I'm finding, too, that the longer I stick with this...the more is revealed. I think as we keep "trying" and working our program(s) we become more receptive to the revelations.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 210/192.8/155

OK, I had a nice post and it disappeared. I really hate this new laptop sometimes.
Completed the taxes today. The good news is that we owe $4700 instead of the $7000 originally calculated. The bad news is that we owe $4700.
I weighed in at JC yesterday and was down about 3#. It helps that I have no appetite.
I don't have the energy to rewrite my post so a big HELLO to everyone. I've been awake since 3 am.
JuliaNeedsToSleep
Old 03-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #59  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default another go *venting ignore if you want*

Coaches

I just felt the need to post a second time here. I heard from the friend who is doing the HCG diet and I was wondering if I would be filled with the desire to do this diet. I was afraid to listen or to talk about the diet plan with her, anticipating feeling jealous and envious. She, as is always the case with a brand new diet that we believe "is it", is very excited and wants to share it and urges me to try it-maybe-if I want to- and I just feel sooooooooooo skeptical it's hard to be supportive. My way is not everyone's way. She says "it's time to just get rid of all this fat, all this weight once and for all, I've had it. You need to do this to. It's time for you to stop carrying it around too." Yeah, I know. But the difference between a drastic diet like the HCG, which I reserve all judgment on as to whether it works only when I see where she is at in a year from now - or even at the end of the summer - and between losing 30lbs(her) vs 100lbs(me)--well I already know even if I wanted to try it, I could not sustain it and what that would do to my food sanity is pretty much predictable. It's just not for me. She is down 3 lbs in 4 days. I don't even care that much-but it's not noticeable yet. I am worried though that her health will suffer. We'll see. I sure hope not and I hope she gets what she wants from it. I am finding this all pretty hard to navigate though. OTOH I have re-focused on my own plan and am moving forward at my own pace. It all seems so mundane and middle of the road which is EXACTLY what I want cause that is TRULY a change for me.

OK, feeling better for leaving that here. Thanks.

Last edited by onebyone; 03-05-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #60  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Hi all,

Today was OP, but I was more tempted by sweets than I have been for quite a while. I think the indulging this weekend of several sweet treats made them more appealing again. I had brought extra peanut butter cookies to work so they wouldn't be at home--but they were a definite temptation. I didn't really think of any of my Beck techniques--I just kept telling myself "Those aren't for me." Credit for not having any.

My primary walking partner was in all day meetings today, so I walked alone this morning, and did my afternoon walk with another woman. Credit for moving!

BillBE, "fact-finding missions" were to identify a restaurant to do catering for us for dinner one night of our weekend event. Last year, I think we went to six different Italian places before picking one. We're on a tight budget, so that makes it really hard.

I really had some distorted thinking going on yesterday with overeating at the Chinese buffet. I had a sense of "my weight has gone up a couple of pounds even though I'm eating right so I'll just do whatever" and "I had too much food so I might as well have ice cream". (I stopped myself from having seconds of ice cream, but I thought about it.)

Both of those are really flawed reasoning. I guess I was going to have my first setback at some point--so that's it.

I know I haven't eaten an extra 18,000 calories since Thursday, but the scale has me up 5.2 lbs. I know it's just a number--but I'm finding it a distressing one.

Snow has started falling here--school has already been canceled for tomorrow (DD is thrilled). DH works from home tomorrow anyway. If my work is closed or delayed, well, I brought my laptop home just in case.
Closed Thread