Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #31  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Good morning all,
Being rather scatter brained this morning, who am I kidding, I am always scatterbrained and I am okay with that. It is who I am. Following Beck allows me to realize that it is okay to be someone who is not always like the other people around My son has never really fit is with the general population and he is okay with it. As I continue on this journey I see it is not bad to be an individual. Now to keep on track with my food. I am doing okay, just a little worried on vacation. If there were a magical list for vacations it would be awesome. Plan, plan, plan, hearing echoes of my coaches...lol
We are off to Florida, even if it is not warm, it's okay. Has anyone ever been to Jekyll Island. I have heard so many wonderful things about it lately, not sure why we have never gone.
As I am packing to go I realize I have so many clothes I will never wear again, I will donate them.
Thank you all for sharing your successes and struggles each day. It gives me guidance each day. My hope is I will get back to writing personals, but my sabotaging thoughts tell me, what if I miss someone and hurt their feelings, or what if I type something stupid. I know these are only sabotaging though, I just need to do it and not worry I guess.
Have a wonderful day everyone.
Take Care
Ann
Old 03-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #32  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I went completely off the rails for the last few days, in ways I never expected to again. Yikes! I had this fantasy that declaring that I was in maintenance was going to mean that I maintained all my good behaviors and all my weight loss like clockwork and would never again be bothered by desires to numb out with food or cravings for everything that isn't a vegetable. Apparently, it doesn't work like that.

I did learn stuff, though, so credit for that Beck behavior. I've always said that I don't notice a difference in how I feel when the quality of my food changes, except for sodium bloating. But I noticed:
  • unbalanced moods
  • diminished thinking skills
  • increased physical clumsiness

In other words, eating little but fat, carbs, and sugars had significant and noticeable effects on the quality of my life.

Part of the cause, probably, was gearing up for a stressful family business meeting yesterday. So, I have a new response for when I feel stressed before an event:

I want to be on top of my game for this event which means I want to eat a variety of vegetables and other healthy foods to fuel my brain and body.

Credit for posting here and for having both a food and an exercise plan written for today.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good morning, Coaches.

Big Day Yesterday. Faced a few demons and did not feel the need to over eat. I met with a 30+ year friend who I said "Good Bye" to nine months ago because of her continuing hurtful behavior. I had written her a loving letter telling her that I'd always want the best for her but I couldn't participate anymore. She contacted me and asked to meet. She apologized several times, validated what I was feeling and asked if there was a way forward. We agreed to make a few small steps. Boy, was I nervous before we met. Also, went to DS last Basketball game. Memories of my father's terrible temper at sporting events always brought out the worst in me (flashback memories etc. . .) and the games had been excruciating. Yesterday, I was able to put focus on my beautiful boy smiling, running, happily participating in his youth ( not something I had an opportunity to do.) It was terrific.

Food was not perfect. No written plan but spontaneous exercise. Today yoga and writing, Committed food. Scale at ticker.

bethFromDayton: Boy, you sound like you are in "the lion's mouth" with all that food. I don't think I could do it. Credit for you control and "this too shall pass."
IBelieveinMe2: Let's buckle down this month together and see if we can move the ticker down.
Julia150: Congrats on the terrifc weightloss. It is especially admirable that it is ocurring while you work through the grief with your father.
BBE: We are in the flyway belt here. Birds galore and they are out in super bunches right now.
Onebyone: I know when I exercise (your two hour walk) I immediately gain two pounds.
nationalparker: How was Quartet?
Nola: keep up the good work.

Last edited by maryann; 03-03-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #34  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

It's the big holiday weekend here! DH'sBD today and mine tomorrow. Yesterday OP. Today's credits include weighing...finding a "way" to get out of two celebratory meals out...making a NSA BD cake and inviting mom over for a super healthy breakfast where I enjoyed small portions including a planned piece of the cake. We're off to Denver for a meet up and I'm going to drop DH off at his favorite place (A CD store) so I can visit my favorite place (City Park). Car is washed and bike to be loaded soon.

I feel so connected to all your posts and this morning even had a few chuckles...

Take care all!

MaryAnn, wow what a step with your friend. I would have been very nervous, too.

Ann (NewLifestyle), maryann helped me to leave "posting perfection" behind. Have a great vacation....my bro lives in Key West but I have never been to J. Island.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #35  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Smile watch and wait

Coaches

I continue to watch over Looloo. She is not getting better like I had hoped she would be by now. She did eat a bit, drink a bit, purr alot, and is sleeping in our company so this is all good but she is still very wheezy and very stuffed up. But she is showing some improvement over this afternoon when I thought she was on a fast decline. I don' know what to think or what to do. We just wipe her nose every so often which helps her breathe and she hides right after then comes out looking for a snack.

Stress over this little kitty had me at the stove, boiling up some turkey thighs to try to entice her to eat and I, guess, yes, ate some turkey while at the stove. *credit I stopped and tracked. I weighed this morning (-0.4lbs) and planned my food. I have frittered the day away. Got good news tht I was accepted at "art camp" aka a week long residency hosted by an artist association in Quebec. We will do art every day-every day a different art thing. They will find me somewhere to stay, will feed me breakfast every day and pack me a picnic lunch. I am responsible for my dinner. This will be in July. So happy I was accepted into this!

PLENTY of reasons to get my weight lower, if only for mobility and heat tolerance issues. *credit for staying on track and self-correcting.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 260.6/250.4/145.0

Height: 5' 5"

Hi Coaches: I've been on here for a few days now and am starting to feel like I know each of you a little bit better. But I do share Ann's fears of not doing individual comments "right". Had to chuckle at that part of your post, Ann.
Today's lesson #13 in the BDS book was the one about conquering cravings. Since I started my actual diet almost 2 weeks ago, I've been getting in some good practice strengthening my ability to resist. For me, there are two critical keys to success. First, I eliminated all the flour and sugar foods so my blood sugar stays nice and quiet. That's a huge one to prevent most cravings. And second, I'm still planning every meal and most full days ahead of time. If I don't write it out it is too easy to fib to myself and eat something a little off plan.
That said, I did go off plan last night. I did it pretty much on purpose. Remember yesterday I was worried that I was being too perfect and I was afraid I would crash and burn? So I intentionally ate a second piece of flax bread, which was over my calorie limit for the day, so I could get over that fear of screwing up. In the past, I've been known to go way off a diet for days in response to one mistake, so it was wonderful practice to be "bad" last night and then be good again today. Yay! It does make a difference knowing I will come here and tell you. In that way, you are all A+ coaches, because I know you are listening and holding the space for success for me and for all of us. I am also holding that space for all of you. We are in this together.
Sunday is my planned day off from exercise. Monday and Tuesday I will hold at 10 minutes before I move on to 12 on Wednesday. I like knowing I can move ahead at my own pace and not have to compare myself to what I "should" be able to do. Without that performance pressure, I actually find myself looking forward to doing it instead of dreading it. I do so wish I had access to a swimming pool.
That's it for me. Have a pleasant evening.
- Nola
Old 03-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi... checking in.

I've been doing well. I did fine at the bridal shower today. I went in and 'surveyed' the food, decided on what I'd eat and stayed with it. It was 2 fruit kabobs, one small 'pinwheel' slice (cheese, spinach, tortilla) & a cookie. No seconds. I stayed with it. Credit. The shower was fun. One of the bridemaid's lives in Atlanta. She came to the shower via skype. I was amazed.

I've read what everyone is doing and saying. I hope I can get to the personals tomorrow.

As always thanks for being supportive and helpful.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 03-03-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #38  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

I didn't have a food plan today :-( but I've been within all my parameters. I logged everything I ate. Credit for that. I'm making a plan for tomorrow. Exercise was on track--I got up early and did WATP before starting to cook. Credit for that, too, especially since everyone else was still asleep!

Serious cooking day today--we cut, marinated, cooked, and froze 18 lbs of chicken (plus cooked another 1.5 lbs that we had for dinner), and cooked and froze 20 cans of (seasoned) black beans. The only "nibbling" I did was one small piece of chicken for flavor testing. Credit there.

There are chocolate chip cookie muffins stuffed with reese's cups cooling on the counter. I intend to have 2 for an evening snack, and then we'll freeze the rest and they'll be out of the kitchen, too. I had extra peanut butter cookies in a container to take to work this week and had to move them to a container that I couldn't see through!

I am really pleased with myself right now. It wasn't as hard as I was afraid it was going to be (although I do have one more day of it). It is getting easier--and I am encouraged that I will really be able to decrease my overall sweet tooth so that I won't spend the rest of my life feeling deprived. Although I've enjoyed the treats I've had, they haven't been heavenly bliss--and planning and savoring them has made that obvious.

Take care, all.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:30 AM   #39  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday - March Forth

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did OK with eating, CREDIT moi, with lunch away from home and dinner with guests. I didn't have seconds of pot roast - one of my favorite foods and one that I overate with gusto in the past.

Little opportunity for exercise in an overly busy day. Hoping to do better today getting to the gym before dinner followed by a longer walk. Walking in the cool weather is so good.

onebyone – Being taken care of for a week in July sounds lovely.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Food messes with my brain, also. I hadn't quantified it as carefully as you just did - thanks for that.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for birthdays, and Yay for "a planned piece of the cake."

Beverlyjoy – This is so neat, "'surveyed' the food, decided on what I'd eat and stayed with it."

maryann - It is terrific that you've broken the cycle to make a joyous childhood for your DS. Kudos for being aware that you've done that. [I'm so jealous of your birds out there.]

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Donating clothes is just the best feeling. Nope, never been to Jekyll Island - the web pages sure make it attractive. Is that were you're headed this trip? One good way to overcome the Sabotaging Thought that you'd forget someone in posting personals is to just post one. It's not like 4th grade valentines where you had to give one to everyone in the class, LOL.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – 18 pounds is a lota chicken! Love reading, "Although I've enjoyed the treats I've had, they haven't been heavenly bliss" - it's so easy to exaggerate the joy we'll have from some sugar thing.

Nola (Nola145) – It's super that you've set up your exercise plan so that you can look forward to it.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 3
How Thin People Think
the solution at a glance
  • The way you think - seeing hunger as an emergency, overestimating the discomfort and duration of cravings, underestimating how thin people restrict their eating - makes it more difficult for you to stick to a diet.
.... . .
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 43.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #40  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Yesterday, 90% OP (using gardenerjoy's formula). We decided "last minute" to enjoy Vietnamese in Denver. I ordered wisely and passed on my favorite sugary coffee. credit. I've weighed this morning and am feeling very grateful to have thought out the birthday stuff ahead of time. It's so much better for my "head" than recommitting after.

Bike ride was spectacular and I found two cottonwoods near the zoo which had 50-60 cormorant nests...many with pairs already sitting in them. When we got home I grabbed two bags out of the car then hoisted it off the rack and carried it up the steps with one hand. credit. I am still sometimes amazed at my progress in the exercise/getting in shape arena. Yay.

Work calls!
Old 03-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #41  

Hi friends... quick post for now.

This came through my Facebook today, via the Beck Diet Solution:

Monday Motivation: Repeat after us: Losing weight is hard but with practice, it gets EASIER! It’s hard but by no means impossible. It’s hard but the benefits and advantages of doing so are enormous. Every time I eat I have the opportunity to strengthen good habits and make it even easier the next time. It’s hard, but it’s not always hard, and it GETS EASIER!
Old 03-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #42  
Green Tomatoes

My first day of back at it felt wonderfully normal. Yay! Credit for following my plan to the letter and having one written for today.

Exercise: +60 60/1400 minutes for March

Nola145: Thanks for posting about each day as you encounter it in the Beck book. It's like a refresher course!

Happy Birthday, Lexxiss! I hope it's wonderful and that you have a lovely year ahead.

For Nola145 and NewLifeStyle, as BillBlueEyes said, you can post just one or two personals. We're easy about that. I can skip Beverlyjoy, maryann, bethfromDayton, and onebyone today and know that I'll get to them another day. Sometimes, I end with something like "hi to everyone else" for a universal greeting.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

I had a breakthrough thought for me today. Yesterday, I ate my dinner and told myself that I was done, no extras. Then five minutes later, I got up and ate "just a few more" walnuts and chocolate chips. In thinking about last night, It really hit me that I had made a conscious choice to eat extra and that that little extra is what is making my program a maintenance program rather than a weightloss program. I also realized (lightening bolt) that the choice to eat extra was COMPLETELY UNDER MY CONTROL. Now this might not sound earthshaking to you but for me, a control freak who tries to control everything and everyone, this is a critical piece.

The one thing I do have control of (my own actions) is the one thing I don't take responsibility for. Now that is ironic. I feel responsible for my family's happiness, for my students love of school, even sometimes for the checker at the grocery store who is having a bad day. But getting off the couch and eating another handful--well that I am powerless over.

So my food plan is simply this today: Eat sitting down and when the meal is over it is over. It is going to have to be over sometime. It might as well be over before I exceed my calorie limit.

I know. I know. This is all basic stuff but it really hit me today.

Credit Beverleyjoy for great shower choices and gardenerjoy for an OP Day. Happy Bday Lexxiss and BBE you can have all my pot roast if I get all your Mac and Cheese.

Last edited by maryann; 03-04-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #44  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Another week starting out ... I am so over the winter and I'm anticipating the spring and walking in warmer weather. And just running errands without gloves, hat, heavy coat, etc. Those of you in Canada, just tell me to hush up. You deal with it much longer than I do.

We changed around our plans over the weekend, going to see Quartet yesterday, followed by dinner out. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and especially loved at the end, where they showed the now/then photos of many of the supporting cast in roles in the performing arts over the past 40 years. Neat premise of the retirement home for professional musicians. Dinner was, of all things, Olive Garden, not a typical spot for us. I tracked everything and went over by a little bit and I can live with that.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LEXXISS! Think how different this next year will be for you as you celebrate your life, compared to a few years ago. What an achievement!

Ann - Have a wonderful time in Florida - any horseback riding plans in the works on J.I.? Looking forward to hearing about it. And if you're still reading - do as I say, not as I do ... enjoy a treat at the start and the end of your trip like Dr. Beck says - i could have done that and been fine. Instead I treated too often! And returned with two extra pounds to remove again.

Bill - Good job with two meals away from home yesterday and succeeding! Recognizing the changes in your eating habits surely seems to be a great reinforcement. Did you see The Last Quartet, too? I've missed it at our theatre, and now must wait for the dvd release.

BeverlyJoy - Great way to enjoy the food you chose at the shower yet not have it be the focus! And thank you for posting the motivations, as well!

Beth - Down to the last day of the food prep fest - kudos for doing so well with it and not being tempted to slip in food without counting it!

OneByOne - How is LooLoo doing today? Worry is one of my biggest triggers - hope she improves steadily.

GardenerJoy - Yay for the wonderful accomplishment of the first days back at it and getting into the routine vs. dreading it and putting it off. Good job!

Maryann - What a strong person you are to meet back with your former friend, and not turning to food right after for a calming feeling. And for standing up for yourself in the first place - good job! I tend to sever ties and they stay cut. I admire you for meeting up!

Nola - You are really setting yourself up to succeed! Great job in sensing where you might struggle a mental setback and handling it with control.

IBelieveInMe - Glad to see that you're back here - we've all been there and are looking forward to seeing you posting when you can this week!

BigChiefDavid - How has Brees been adjusting? All going fairly smoothly? Since you're looking at possibly changing his name, and as a Colts fan who is now Peyton-less... you might think along that route..hint hint. HA HA - just kidding. Hope your weekend went well!

Last edited by nationalparker; 03-04-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #45  

Hi coaches/friends - Today has been healthy. Grateful. I've had a really nice birthday and didn't overeat at all. Major credit.

Happy Birthday to Lexxiss/debbie! I think we share a birthday.

Dh is feeling alot better. So we went to our favorite Chinese restarant where I got my favorite Hong kong sea bass. I took out my portion of rice, fish and some veggie and set the rest aside. No seconds. Credit. I ate the leftover for dinner tonight. Yum.

It was a fun birthday. I got such nice calls, some cards, flowers from DS & family, perfume from DH. lunch out, greetings from the neighborhood cutie pies and many Facebook birthday greetings, too. I feel like I hit the Birthday Jackpot this year. Grateful.

I've had three days of food sanity and I am so grateful.

Today I did my journal work, was mindful of sodium, did exercises, had no seconds, and always left a bite.

Tomorrow I go to the dentist and check out my broken tooth.

nationparker - I am looking forward to Spring, too. Credit for doing well at Olive Garden. Eating out can be tricky. Glad to hear your opinion on the movie. Carry on.

MaryAnn - I love your incite today. Reminding yourself that a meal/snack does end... that we are the ones to carry this through. Wonderful post, thanks.

Gardenerjoy - Thanks for sharing you thoughts on your struggles of late. It's actually helpful to me - as I can identify with what you were saying. I am so happy to hear of your good food day - back to your routine. I know that it feels good. It's the stuff that we 'build' on. Carry on.

Lexxiss/debbie - so glad you had a special dinner and still was able to avoid what wasn't really within your plan, credit. Kudo's for all the exericse turning into something noticeable. Also... nice that you could plan in your cake, too.

billbe - it really is a credit when you can eat a sensible amount of something that you used to eat a way lot of. I totally understand about roast beef. Kudos. I am so, so glad your ingury is all better. YAY.

bethfromdayton - kudo's for staying with your food plan.. without actually planning. For some reason that is a 'slippery slope' for me. Excellent you've got in your exericses and getting food ready for later on!!!

Nola - there's no 'right or wrong' way to post personal messages. Do it when you are comfortable and have time. Sometimes, there isn't time to address everyone. That's OK too. I am glad you are getting in good practice with your resistance. Every time you strengthen that resistance muscle... it can help for the next time you face a food 'calling to you.' I love reading your journey.

onebyone - I hope that Looloo is better soon. It's hard when are furkids are sick. You said: *credit for staying on track and self-correcting. Yes, credit, indeed!!!

newlifestyle - you said: As I continue on this journey I see it is not bad to be an individual I love this thought ... so true when we make ourselves a priority. Have a wonderful vacation. PLan the best you can.

I hope you've all had a great day.
Closed Thread