Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #121  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

BillBlueEyes
(Yum! Gazpacho!)
Congrats! on your 5 year milestone! Thanks for your dedication in helping the rest of us! Your message to me has been that the every day ups and downs of life can be an adventure...all while maintaining a healthy weight.

Me, running behind...I have a dog event today. The therapy pups are at the hospital to help kids. Bing needed a bath, and I'm busy playing with my new Vitamix....Costco....ahhh. I had a hard time justifying it although I've wanted one for years. *credit* I recognized what a good job I have done on my bike (last yr's purchase) and I know I will use this, too, for benefit of my health.My traditional behavior is to tend to deprive myself of things I really want, while spending money on the needs of others. I think part of getting healthier IS learning to take care of my needs, too. Maybe I can stop by later to everyone personally. Until then Have a good weekend!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 09-11-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:11 AM   #122  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default What a difference a day makes!

OMG, dear Beckies, from soggy to sunny overnight.

We got over 4 inches of rain from Th. night to last night..have lost count of how many times I have had water in my basement this summer..more than 20, I know that. And the body count for my mouse trap line so far this fall is more than a dozen...wish the little buggers would drown. Apparently they can swim. Beady-eyed little devils. Unfortunately, I am allergic to cats, *sigh, and my dawgs appear to prefer raspberries to mice.

Have found my mojo. The motivation is 4 weeks from today, Oct. 9. Good to have my "want to" back, because it was lacking. Found great truth in the Green Book about how I got derailed in maintenance..I *know this to be true, I have *confessed it here before, but basically, as Dr. Beck puts it:

"Like most dieters, it is likely that you will eventually begin to take for granted the advantages you have achieved."

It has long struck me that successful maintainers not only don't take it for granted, but they take GREAT JOY in their new lifestyle and control over the old demons. I read that joy everyday in your posts, BillBE, and I laff because sometimes I can just *see you shaking your head still amazing yourself!!! And btw, congrats on 5 years. Wow.

I was also reading in the Green Book last night (I swear, I refer to the 2 Beck books as if they were the "Blue Book" for AA)...to visualize the old fat life. 220 #s for me...I have blocked it out of my memory banks..I look at the really gross pics and don't recognize myself..I show pictures to ppl who did not know me and they can't believe it....and frankly, neither can I. I am hoping I don't really have to dig back there..am willing if I need to, but for now, I think just feeling the joy of being back in charge, so to speak will suffice.

Best to all. I continue to cheer for all my dear Beckies and gain much wisdom from you all.

Time to fight the dawgs for the raspberries.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #123  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

Sending out a BIG CONGRATS to BillBE on 5 yrs of maintenance! You’re such an inspiration. You remind me daily that maintaining long-term is possible; it also takes constant vigilance.

I didn’t feel like running yesterday (or doing much of anything). I spent the AM out in the wind loading sheep into a truck and just didn’t feel like spending anymore time in the wind. I bought a new yoga DVD and did that instead. I wanted to buy the DVD, but telling myself that I don’t really need it. Yesterday I did need it for motivation. It’s windy again today, but the windbreaker I had ordered arrived today. I had no excuse, so I headed out. Credit for getting my exercise, even if it takes a little retail therapy to get me moving.

So a day without an eating plan is destined to fail. We’ve had friends in town and yesterday I felt like I was on their schedule. I didn’t really know how to plan for it. I held it together all day until late afternoon. I was waiting for them for dinner and didn’t know how long it was going to take. I was hungry and decided on a small snack that soon got out of control. So I’m trying to figure out today, but once again, I don’t have much of a plan. I did go to the farmer’s market this AM and filled up on fruits and veggies and will figure something out with that.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:23 PM   #124  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Our dog event was a great one for testing Beck skills. 1st, I stayed way longer than expected. There was all kinds of food and I just told myself it wasn't an emergency, and resisted every urge to go have a burger or taste any of the free chocolates being passed out. *credit* I recognized my sabotaging thought at the grocery as I looked through the day old's for WW bread and recognized that if I took sweets home for hubby that I would most probably eat some, so I passed on all.*credit* Got home and made a super healthy green drink with the new machine, instead.
BillBlueEyes, "Gym was gym". *credit*
NatureGirl, *credit* for sitting down with your coach and discussing planning for next week! You are way ahead of me. lol
gardenerjoy, *credit* for the new and wholesome habit-getting take out from Whole Foods, and a salad for you, too! I find I make good choices there.
Donna(new2me2), glad your weight is holding. *credit* for working back to your usual routine.
maryann, Wow! "...neither back to school nights or family drama have caused me to vary from the plan." *credit* That is very powerful...I often cave with family drama.
Carol(Starling),writing it down deserves much *credit*. Something I still struggle with...
MaryContrary, *credit* for working to achieve balance in all your pursuits. I try, too, and think it's important.
Pecola123, *credit* for noticing how little you usually taste your food. It is a great spot for improvement.
onebyone, thanks for sharing your good news! *credit* for persistance, and I'm glad to hear you are feeling positive about your relationship with food.
maryblu, thanks for raspberry info...I'm lucky, my dogs don't show interest. Glad to hear you're finding your mojo. *credit* for soul searching and thx for insight on maintenance.
Woodland, I'm glad to hear from you as I was wondering your proximity to the fire. I really like your idea of looking at one thing you could improve on each day...such a great thought! *credit* for enacting your idea.
Shepherdess, I love retail therapy and exercise! I appreciate your sharing your experience yesterday, and your thoughts on improving on today. *credit* for making your plan.

Ok, off to peachland….more dehydrating.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:15 PM   #125  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Good afternoon Beck coaches!

Just a quick post...but do want to say congratulations to Bill and onebyone!!! Great accomplishments for both!!

~~~

On plan today again. My WW weigh in went well yesterday...by their scale I gained only 1.8 pounds of all that water weight I lost from the last two weeks. And, since my weight seems to be holding, that's encouraging. The weigher was pretty excited about that, lol. I'm pretty close to "their" goal...the initial goal they pulled out of thin air...and I've now got to think if I want to make that my goal or go a bit lower. I want some breathing room (so I don't have to worry about whether I'm wearing heavier clothing, LOL), so I'm thinkng I'll go with theirs, but still try to get down to my goal or lower.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #126  

S/C/G: 148/148/135

Hi to Everyone:
Wow, BillBlueEyes! Congratulations! You definitely should be in the Weight Registry if you're not already there.
MaryBlu: Weren't terriers bred to chase rats in small places. One more dawg might be worth it. So glad you found your mojo again. I've never really lost weight let alone maintained, so it's amazing to hear from people who have. Thank you.

Beck Complete, Stage 1 Step 6
Read cards.
Weighed
Ate slowly, enjoying (This was easier today, though the newspaper beckons.)
Gave credit (Realize how I almost never do this.)
Planned exercise. Rememberd to park further away at gym. Forgot at grocery store.
Began identifying hunger/non-hunger. (This is not a problem. But the craving/emotional eating part will be much more difficult.)
Old 09-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #127  
persist

S/C/G: 322/310/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Bravo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
Diet Coaches/Buddies - Pretty psyched - today I celebrate five years on my new journey. That's a magic number because the National Weight Loss Registry has gathered some statistics showing that those who keep it off for five years tend to keep it off thereafter. CREDIT moi for longevity with mucho gratitude to all you guys on this thread who've been my support group for the last three years. (I've already taken my reward early with my tandem skydive a few weeks ago.)
I am so thrilled for you BBE. Congratulations at meeting your goal of being at goal for 5 years. What a path you've helped make here for all of us to get our wagons onto. And may I take the time to thank your DW for her need not to listen to your everyday food thoughts, creating in you the need to bring them here where we can all share in your thoughts. You cannot know how much your consistency has helped me at times. Wishing you many more years of OPness!
Old 09-11-2010, 09:04 PM   #128  
persist

S/C/G: 322/310/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post Saturday check in

Hi Coaches:

Worked on a fun painting project for a place called The Atomic Rooster. They had a call for rooster art and I felt inspired. All the roosters will be on display for 5 weeks and the patrons will vote for their favorite which will then be reproduced onto their coasters for the next year!

I'd love that.

My rooster is very colourful and it's only now while writing this that I realize what i did with it. I gave it a neon green glow-it's got radiation glow! I am thinking of adding a tiny mushroom cloud in the distance but that may be a whack-upside-the-head bit of overkill. I'm usually more subtle than that I can always try it and paint it out if it's not right. Would that other issues could be so easily dealt with.

I'm reading a fantastic book called The $12 Million Stuffed Shark by Don Thompson. What a read! It's a deconstruction of the contemporary art world and an investigation into how/why some art gets huge $. Geez what a racket! It's all about creating your own world and then getting other to buy into it-literally and figuratively. If you are at all curious about the current art scene I really recommend this book. The chapter on Damien Hirst made me want to kick him...but this is nothing new.

Foodwise I held it to one treat today and completely enjoyed it. I did eat while standing up in the kitchen tonight but it was conscious. I also cooked from scratch which I like to mark with a [credit] Cooking from scratch is my ultimate goal always. I may be ready to get back 100% on the wagon come Monday. Today I was maybe 75%. The market was slow today $-wise but I've had such a good week capped off by a great rooster painting that I can't say the $, or lack of it, got me down today. It didn't. Yay!
Old 09-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #129  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello everyone:

Bill- so happy for you on achieving 5 years. Thank you for being here and providing inspiration to us.

I have been on holidays for the past 3 weeks- enjoying the wonderful outdoors- camping, boating, fishing, watching sunsets (and 2 sunrises), looking for quartz on deserted beaches, and watching the eagles, loons, beavers and otters. Saw a wolf which is always a rare treat. I feel so relaxed. Back to work on Monday.

I have not been doing well in the eating department and have gained weight. I forced myself on the scales this morning and it is not pretty. I am resetting my stats and starting over. I have the morning tomorrow set aside to work out a new game plan. I need to go back to the basics. I need to redesign my eating plan so that it is something I can live with for the long haul. I need to keep it simple.

I hate that I keep popping in here, all fired up and then fade into the woodwork. I hope you all can put up with me a bit longer. Sooner or later I am going to get in the groove and stay there.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:26 PM   #130  

Default Ceejay!

I LOVE that you keep popping up! I am so pleased to *see you, and for what its worth, I am in the same boat...back to basics, planning..writing it down and practicing ALL the Beck techniques..willya just stay with us? Work the Beck program like it is your lifeline, 'cuz it is!

I can only imagine how *reconnected you feel after 3 weeks of outdoor adventures....I think no one can unless he/she has done it. Good for you..good for you, and a great time to recommit and get back on the Beck program. Not sure which book you follow; I was a Pink Book devotee, but I am now really, really appreciating the Green book's content..stay with us, K??
Old 09-12-2010, 12:20 AM   #131  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

Default Sticking with it

I didn't post last night because I fell dead asleep very early--my busy week and dedicated planning and eating and exercise caught right up with me and I just crashed. I slept well and got to sleep in --ah, the luxury! I din't get my planning done last night either but put together a skeleton plan during and OP breakfast--it is so good to have option 1, 2 & 3, especially for breakfast so that you can get up and not fall off the wagon right away! I went shopping w/ a friend and can you believe it, I PACKED a LUNCH instead of planning on fast food? So I ate my hummus & homemade pita chips at taco bell while J had her salad. I did end up buying some trail mi & didn't measure it, but at least it was primarily nuts & fruits from my plan.
I kept most of this plan quiet for the first couple weeks, but it does pay off to have a coach and to have your DH know what you're up to. Last night at dinner, I was highly tempted to have the prime rib that came with several sides including green chili cheese enchiladas (!) but when J ordered her drink she said "I planned in the car that I wouldn't have alcohol tonight. So what could I do but stick to my planned fajita salad, and give the garlic toast to DH? Two beers instead of planned one; could have been worse, could have done better. And tonight DH was planning to make an OP entree for us, but he was watching "America's Best Fried Foods" (Why are shows like that even allowed on TV???) I fell in love with the chicken fried steak and tried to talk him into going out and he said "I don't think you'll find that on your list" and went in and started the healthy meal. Foiled again!!
With friends like this, I might have success! Good job to me for picking such supportive people to surround me, and another good job for giving in gracefully to their common sense and caring support.
BillBE: Congrats on 5 years - you are an inspiration.
Onebyone: Congrats on your public art- that is truly an accomplishment!
Maryann: thanks for the assurance that teaching and eating well can coexist, no matter what the age of the student and what special events come up!
Old 09-12-2010, 06:01 AM   #132  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Many thanks for all the kind words for the five years on my journey. The challenge is to mush on; life continues - so shall I.

Celebrated wedding anniversary with DW at a restaurant with new French cuisine. Walked there as part of the anticipation. Had the best tuna I've ever had - nearly raw, two different sauces, with leek and scallion wantons. And, portioned just right so that I didn't have to doggie bag my way home. Shared DW's cold avocado soup with lime - to-die-for. And shared her mouse dessert; again, the portion was quite small - wish all restaurants would do that. CREDIT moi for staying within my stretched upper bounds.

Went to four stores until I found enough blue berries for the week; CREDIT moi. These are from Nova Scotia; there's no tillable land further north, so these are the end of the season. Made stopping by the restaurant to make reservations part of my afternoon walk; CREDIT moi.

maryblu - Hosannas for "found my mojo" - back on your horse to charge forward again. Kudos for getting yourself there; it's much easier to find something when you're actually looking for it.

onebyone - Now I'm dying to see your painting for The Atomic Rooster - you gotta show us. Honking Kudos for cooking from scratch - you've mentioned that as a goal for some time - with additional Kudos because you've cleared enough kitchen to do it.

CeeJay - Yay for seeing a wolf!!! And Yay again for "eagles, loons, beavers and otters" - now I'm raring to go out for three weeks and reset my soul. Kudos for letting nature lead you to your path, "I need to keep it simple."

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Isn't that a great realization - even when you're slightly off-plan, you're still so far away for your old over eating. Kudos for recognizing that. Glad your MIL did well.

Shepherdess - Thanks for the reminder that wind is a more powerful word in Wyoming. Kudos for going out when you didn't feel like it. I need to hear over and over again that not feeling like it does not justify couch-potato-ing.

Debbie (Lexxiss) - Yay for mushing forward with new things; can't wait to hear how you incorporate the Vitamix into your life; "super healthy green drink" sounds like a great start. "therapy pups" sounds neat - tell us more.

Donna (new2me2) - Deciding when to stop losing is a tricky decision - good luck working that. I ducked making that decision by going the route of beginning my journey on my maintenance eating plan, so I never stopped anything, I just observed that my body had stopped losing. That doesn't work for everybody.

Nature Girl - To be sure, Kudos "for picking such supportive people to surround me" - that does seem to be a major part of a successful journey. LOL at, "Why are shows like that even allowed on TV???" There oughta be a law.

Pecola123 - Isn't it amazing what we observe about ourselves when trying to do the trivial strategies of the Beck plan, "Gave credit (Realize how I almost never do this.)" Kudos for seeing that.

Readers -
Quote:
day 37
Reduce Stress

Three Steps to Lower Your Level of Stress

To reduce stress, you have to change your rules. Here's how:

Jackie, for example, was annoyed with customers who complained to her about the quality of her company's service. They shouldn't take it out on me! James was resentful that his neighbors didn't reach out to him: They should be nicer. Jill was worried because she thought others were too irresponsible: They should be much more careful

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 246.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:53 AM   #133  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I had an allergic reaction last night, continuing to this morning, to red wine (which wasn't on plan anyway). Pretty miserable -- kind of a combination of severe hay fever and mild hangover, even though I only had one glass.

We went out to a nice new place for lunch (I had salad with smoked duck on top for my entree -- credit). Then, next door to the cutest little market, with interesting wines, imported cheeses, and fancy candies. I wanted everything -- housemade dips and spreads, a dark chocolate bar with hot pepper and cinnamon, a roasted potato salad from the deli counter. It's a good thing we'd just had lunch. I let DH choose what we bought and lived vicariously through his purchases because I couldn't trust myself making choices of my own.

I was surprised how much I wanted to overeat. I realized when I got home that much of my control over the last year has been through abstinence of low quality foods. And that's great because most of my excess weight was from that. Now, I'm confident that I won't eat a whole box of commercial cookies or an entire family-sized bag of chips.

But, I don't have anywhere near that confidence around high quality foods -- artisanal breads, homemade cookies, local candied apples. I fretted over that for awhile yesterday since I wasn't sure I was willing to abstain from things I consider wholesome treats, but finally figured out my answer. It's about portion control. I can have anything I want, as long as I'm willing to eat it in an appropriate quantity, worked into my normal exchanges -- if I'm not willing, at that moment, than I'm better off abstaining.

WI: +0.5kg, Exercise: +90 665/1800 minutes for September, Food: 50%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Lexxiss: yay for spending money where it will really help you. I'm sure the Vitamix will be both fun and a tool for good health!

maryblu: oh yes! Thanks for the taking it for granted bit -- that's exactly what I was facing yesterday. I think I can make a new Advantage card from that -- I want to take great joy in my new lifestyle.

Shepherdess: good job using the new yoga DVD for motivation. Did you like it? Hope you found good stuff at the farmer's market to build a plan around.

new2me2: yay for being on plan and for celebrating less of a gain than expected

Pecola123: way to go with all of those credits -- you're doing great!

onebyone: so glad that you've worked your way back to a better place. The rooster painting sounds great, with or without the mushroom cloud.

CeeJay: your vacation sounds wonderful and, as I recall, was very needed. Yay for using that energy to work out a new game plan. And yay for posting here as a starting point. I love having you here.

Nature Girl
: yay for wearing yourself out with a healthy lifestle -- and then taking the sleep you needed (also a big part of a healthy lifestyle)

BillBlueEyes: the anniversary dinner sounds lovely, great job keeping it in bounds!
Old 09-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #134  

Credit, moi, my Beckie coaches; I give myself a 90% for the day, but I need a ruling from my coaches. Note, I am *not asking the referee (Beck) 'cuz I *know what she'd say.

I do have a *serious b**** about having to list raspberries eaten while picking as "unplanned"..actually, it's a double infraction, it violates "eating while standing up", too. I know, I know, raspberries don't come free from calories; I'm just sayin'. Should get extra spontaneous movement credits for those consumed by beating the dawgs to them.

Additional credit for babying my still injured shoulder on a perfect gardening day..will behave again today..just one handed weeding and walking..so lucky it was my right shoulder and I am left handed, so can still "ball" the dawgs.

It is gonna be a another perfect fall day. *sigh. Hope all my coaches/buddies have a great day.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #135  

S/C/G: 173/185/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, All. Sunday and a sunny, beautiful, 70 degree morning here in California. DH is camping with DS and I have a luxurious aloneness this morning before we have a family lunch at noon.
Weigh in yesterday. I am down another 1.1 and it feels like a miracle because I have a total loss of 4.8 and all summer, PRE-BECK, I was unable to lose even 1 pound. So this morning is all about gratitude - despite yesterday's dinner consisting of chocolate frosting and cheese sticks. (Don't Ask). In the past, an episode like that would have sent me overeating the rest of the night because I had "blown it." But I got out my cards, knew my craving would pass, wrote about how bad cramps probably caused the bad choice, and then proceeded to have a very nice evening at a music festival.
BBEs - I love fine restaurants who serve quality rather than quantity. So many restaurants now treat me like a pig waiting at a trough.
Lexxiss - Is a Vita Mix a juicer? I would love to have one of those. Does it do Vegis?
Maryblu - raspberries eaten in the cool, fresh air and taken one step ahead of a pouncing dog should be counted as a vitamin, they are so good for you.
Closed Thread