Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 10:05 PM   #46  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default 10pm check in

Hi Coaches

I'm about to put all the torsos, arms and the set of hips&legs into the car and drive over to my friend's house to finish off my sculpture using the boat into which they will be placed. Everything sure looks good in poieces. It will surely look great when it's all together. it's raining outside but I am alos taking DH with me. Hopefully he can help me get my sculptures positioned and we can leave poor T's house so he can ge3t some rest! He is alos in the show making 3 giant coccoons underneath three even bigger teepee structures made of sticks that he's already surreptitously hidden at the site already.

Oh DH wants to go. I'll check back in later.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:43 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

Default Day 3

Read my Beck day today and made some decisions about whether I can incorporate it as is; it has to do with fasting to discover hunger limits; considering my trouble with hypoglycemia and needing to regulate my blood sugar...I think I need to be careful how long I go without food, but can respect the need to pay attention to levels of hunger & the difference between hunger, desire, & craving.
Credit (I call em *good jobs* because that's the cliche compliment teachers & parents often give kids-we work to get our teacher candidates to stretch their compliment muscle) to me for doing my stretching, eating sitting down almost all of the time( it's such a habit--a BAD one-- to nibble on the way to the sink after dinner, and one more credit for all the fruit OP I ate & enjoyed; oh yeah, the tomato I remembered to put on my sandwich because there it was on the counter.
Sparrow--I found that photo/avatar in clip art somewhere but it reminds me of my favorite national parks and local places I love to hang out.
Command2Houston - I love how you personalize the food demon--I can just see him on my shoulder, I want to swat him!
Old 09-04-2010, 02:55 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Talking Saturday

Hi Coaches

So many posts! This list is hot. I am glad my sister was on the same plan - made it SO easy to eat and to motivate each other. We went out and bought food yesterday to make sure we had what was needed. I made yoghurt again and the fridge is stocked. A few meals ready to be cooked for freezing for next week so I feel "safe" - Credit. My sister has left and I will have Sunday to myself which is needed. My weight is dropping rapidly - I must have had a lot of fluid on board. But I am enjoying it! A lot.

I am still not exercising - after a day out and about I am sore and tired - but that sort of exercise just wears you out. I need the restorative sort but I am not leaving space for it. Need to give myself a severe talking to.

The national elections are very concerning - it is such a cliff hanger and the fact that after 2 weeks it is still not resolved doesn't bode well for the future. I am rooting for the red-headed, single, purposely barren, woman living in a de-facto relationship but as you can imagine many found her something of a challenge. We won't know until at least middle of next week who is leading our government

Nature Girl - credit for recognising your limits and working your program to fit in with your physiology. Differentiating hunger, desire and craving is a big step. Sometimes I can decide I am not really hungry and eat anyway!
onebyone - you seem to be getting organised for your weekend despite your concerns so that is a big credit. If it looks good in pieces it will be awesome all put together!
Woodland - Yay for clockwork - it takes a lot of planning and preparation to get to that place
Shepherdess - I can't keep chips in the house or I would eat them - but if you live with others that is difficult so not sure what you can do. Except keep the fruit bowl full or have lots of high protein snacks in the fridge (boiled eggs?). Drat for critters who snack on zucchini!
Debbie (Lexxiss) - bears really make Australia seem very tame - we have nothing that big or fierce. All ours are small and lethal. LOL at wanting a rear-view mirror - a very sane desire. Credit for getting back on track and accepting a period of less than optimal eating - and then moving on.
maryann - ouch for beat - and credit for recognising it and having a rest
AmberPr - Yay for staying under 200 pounds in a convincing way
Gardenerjoy - Steady as ever - it is difficult to get into exercise late in the evening
Donna (New2me2) - Yay for finishing the antibiotics and the liquid diet. Hope the "stalactites" and "stalagmites" clear up real soon now!
BillBE - Hope you survive Hurricane Earl - and your garden got watered not squashed

Progress -
- I motivated myself by reading A&R cards - No

- Made food plan - Yes
- Logged food soon after eating - No
- Food on-plan - Yes
- Ate seated every time - Almost
- Ate mindfully & slowly & put down fork occasionally - getting better
- Weighed myself - Yes - down - 207.2. Today is official Tracker day
- Read the Green Book - No
- Exercise - No!

Working on -
STILL putting exercise back on the agenda

Have a good day Beckies
-----
Cheryl
Old 09-04-2010, 05:15 AM   #49  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday of Labor Day Weekend (Earlless)

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Hurricane Earl passed with barely a whimper. I slept through the night without waking to high winds or heavy rain - plausibly just enough light rain to water the garden.

I walked to the grocery store after dinner because we were without our evening snack of fruit. First time I've ever carried a watermelon in a backpack. It wasn't that heavy, but it was a large lump in the small of my back. CREDIT moi for the walk, and for not buying grapes. I have to tighten up my evening regime; I've recently been buying grapes and adding them to my single fruit after dinner. They are not calorie free, especially since, being off plan, they don't have a natural size - that is, I eat a big bunch. Worse than the calories, they mess with my attitude; I begin to think that I should be noshing all the time - like the old days. These guys might well be the source of the couple of pounds that I'm fighting.

onebyone - Yay for getting all those body parts in the car, LOL. Hope you're far enough inland that Hurricane Earl doesn't affect the crowds at your market today.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Good focus there to remain on your food plan when all else is crazy. Yep, a few occasional spices do get the old mortar and pestle, but we grind our cumin seeds with an electric grinder that came with the mixer - it's only used for cumin. Fresh ground cumin is particularly powerful.

Shepherdess - My take is that you did exactly the right thing by avoiding a physical task of unknown duration on an empty stomach - an ideal way to fester resentment followed by overeating. My go-to snacks for such occasion contain a hit of protein that does good stuff to my mental health, e.g. a quarter cup of roasted soy nuts or a favorite oatmeal granola bar. Kudos for your quick thinking response and for the following adjustment to your plan.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Also having trouble understanding your election; you guys matter to the world, so hoping you get resolved soon. Yay, in general, for women who are found to be "something of a challenge."

Debbie (Lexxiss) - WOW to encountering a black bear from a bicycle! Good thing it didn't know about your, "2 cases of Organic Colorado peaches" or you'd have had a friend following you home, LOL. What are you going to do with that many peaches? [DW is making a new recipe, Lemony Red Lentil Dahl, that uses 1 TB of whole cumin seeds.]

Donna (new2me2) - Goodbye liquid diet; Yay for Walk It Out. Here's hoping that your recent weight losses remain as you transition to solid foods.

Woodland - Ouch for "negative fortune telling" when it's got a basis in negative reality - snowed under country roads sound like a challenge. Kudos for stretching your brain muscles.

Houston2Command - Yay for the pants-o-meter letting you know that you're making progress. And big Kudos for the splendid, "decided I was strong enough to handle this moment."

Amber (AmberPr) - Honking good idea to use the "next time" strategy for clothes shopping. Yep, there'll be racks of clothes in the future. I suspect that making that move then contributed to your good choices at lunch.

MaryContrary - Ouch that your Sabotaging Thoughts have the audacity to go after your image as a poet and creative person - getting desperate they are. Kudos for outing them so you can get back to, "the exceptionally challenging [job] of self-disciplined dissertation-brilliance." I'm beginning to appreciate the addition of pseudo-obstacles in the path toward a thesis.

maryann - "superwoman" has got to be the most insidious Sabotaging Thought of them all. Thanks for, "miles to go before I sleep" - that's always been such a powerful image for me that I'll remember to use it when I'm flagging toward the end of a task.

Nature Girl - My take is that you're spot on with your understanding of the hunger experiment and that it's not for someone with hypoglycemia issues. Kudos for being clear and comfortable with your understanding. LOL at "compliment muscle."

Readers -
Quote:
day 37
Reduce Stress

Everyone experiences some type of stress every day. In fact, mild stress can actually be helpful if it motivates you to be productive. But moderate to high levels of stress are counterproductive. Even if you're not under much stress today, you will be sooner or later, so prepare yourself now.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 244.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #50  
Green Tomatoes

I did a yoga DVD that I've had for years but was too hard for me, so I forgot about it. Yesterday, I was able to do almost every pose. Most exciting, I did the side plank. I had no idea I could do that. I was just following instructions and focusing on my breath and all of a sudden I was in the pose before she said the words "side plank." Oh hey, I'm doing it! Aside from being stronger now, that's definitely a pose that gets easier when I'm holding up 50 fewer pounds!

WI: -0.45kg, Exercise: +80 185/1800 minutes for September, Food: 90%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Houston2Command: way to fight back that food demon. It does get easier, most of the time. My food demon still pops up at odd and disturbing moments, but most of the time he's much tamer than he was a year ago and no longer a constant and exhausting presence that I have to fight.
Yay for zipping up the skinny pants!

MaryContrary: thanks for sharing all your writing challenges. I've recently started writing again and I think it's largely because I realized that if I could figure out how to lose weight, I can apply the same techniques to figure out how to write with some discipline and consistency. So, I really appreciate seeing how you are working things out. I'll start sharing some of my own adventures.

AmberPR: love that you are applying Beck techniques with shopping -- and doing it in a time and place that models responsible behavior for your daughter. And you did great with the food -- whether the calories are accurate or not, the behavior of thinking through choices that carefully will make a difference in the long run.

maryann: glad you were able to find some time and space in your schedule for rest -- you deserve it!

Lexxiss: cool about losing the pounds from your stressful time and having a long term insight about that. I'm going to remember that!

Shepherdess: How about making a list of swappable things that you will consider on-plan if you have to swap one thing out for another? I've done that for all the restaurants that we frequent for lunch, usually with not enough warning to plan for. I like your way of having certain things in the freezer to eat if supper isn't going to work out. For the need for an extra snack, can you make a short list of what's acceptable and make them all measurable so that you can put those in place as needed -- not a handful of chips, but 12. Or an 1/8 cup of nuts. Going into fall, how about an apple? Maybe with a bite of cheese or peanut butter if protein is an issue.

Woodland: glad you are working out how negative fortune telling can effect your eating behaviors -- that's such a great skill to have.

onebyone: hope that your art assembly went off without a hitch and all is well!

NatureGirl: I've been trying not to write "good job" in this post -- and my comments are now much longer! They are also more thoughtful and to the point, so thanks for improving my writing!
I agree with BillBlueEyes. You have voiced what you would get from the hunger experiment. It is very useful, but not for someone with hypoglycemia. You're better off spending the energy making sure that you have strategies in place so that the thought "low blood sugar" doesn't lead to the sabotaging thoughts and behaviors of overeating.

seadwaters: so glad things went well with your sister and that you have food in place for the week. Yay for the weight dropping! Is there a BabyStep you could take toward getting more exercise? A ten-minute walk a day or something like that?

BillBlueEyes: good catch on the grapes thing -- I could see myself doing that. I'm glad Earl brought nothing but rain. Our weather man said that the storms we had on Thursday rushed to the east coast and pushed Earl's path farther out to sea. We're glad to be of help.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 09-04-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:29 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

We got the bucks all sorted and separated from the girls. My pet ewe Bones (I bottle fed her when she was a lamb), had two boys this year and we took them away as well. Now she's wandering around my yard looking for her babies. I had to get out of the house because I couldn't stand to hear it. It was a good excuse to get to the farmer's market. I picked up some acorn squash that I'm very excited about.

So last night was the curry, yay! It was delicious and as a bonus, I've got leftovers for lunches. I'm very excited. So now all I need to figure out is exercise today. My FIL had my dog chasing sheep all day yesterday and she's pretty sore today. If I put on my running shoes, she'll want to go with me, pain or not. I'll have to figure out something else.

Thank you for all of your snack tips. I needed the reminder that I need to have backups to my plan. And as most of you mentioned, I need a good quality protein backup. So I'm doing some planning for that as well.

Woodland, thanks for the tip about the pretzels. I'll have to give that a try. Thanks for the reminder that it's time to put my winter gear back in the car. We get some nasty drifts up here too. Great job getting on that elliptical. It's so great to change up the workout every now and again.

Onebyone, yay for the sculpture looking good in pieces. Glad you have a good crew to help you put it together in the rain!

Naturegirl, I think being mindful of your limits during the hunger exercise is smart. After all, the whole point of the exercise is to pay attention to our hunger signals and what levels of hunger we can tolerate. Sounds like you're accomplishing that.

Seadwaters, congrats on weight dropping rapidly. It's always nice when that happens. Ouch for tired and sore. Being out and busy can be so draining. Glad you have a day to yourself and that you have a stocked fridge and freezer to make you feel secure.

BillBE, glad to hear that Earl was a non-event. Just enough weather to make the plants happy. Great job recognzing that those grapes have snuck into your life and are sabatoging your hard work. They are probably all the more dangerous because they seem so innocent.

Gardenerjoy, congrats on accomplishing the side plank! It's so great that you were in it before you even realized it. It's such a great testament to all your hard work, both strengthening those muscles and dropping those lbs.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:37 PM   #52  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello Beck friends

I have all my meals planned for the weekend*credit* and all ingredients in the house. We got our 1st case of peaches in the dehydrator this AM. We'll do one a day as long as we hold up.lol Mom just called and is an hour away...I'm enjoying a sitting moment before getting back to work.

BillBlueEyes, I have been known to carry some very unusual things in my backpack while on my bike . Thanks for the reminder about tightening the evening routine and *credit* for doing it. Re: peaches, DH eats them dehydrated. BTW-he is not following Beck. Umm...I love Dahl, especially with red lentils.

Woodland, I was happy to hear that your day went like clockwork. *credit* for morning exercise. It's just great to have an exercise you enjoy.

onebyone, I hope you had a successful day today.

NatureGirl, isn't it amazing when you start being aware of all the times you eat when you are standing up.

Cheryl(seadwaters), I am impressed every time you mention making your yogurt cheese….maybe it is in my future. Enjoy your Sunday off.

gardenerjoy, wonderful being able to do side plank. I tried a land class w/my water yoga teacher at 220# and it just killed my wrists. I will probably take another class with her this winter.

Shepherdess, our farmers market was very busy today and there was lots of winter squash, but no acorns yet. I hope you figure out some good exercise today.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:03 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Default Doing Fine

Hi Everyone,

Yeah for planning ahead, or being able to make a quick change and still feel good about it. Having a sense of control over food makes a big difference. It is the not knowing, or not being able to stop destructive behaviors that causes trouble.

DH and I went to garage sales today, so it was a different type of day. I enjoyed doing something unusual, and didn't let the change give me permission to over-do on food. We went to a favorite restaurant for brunch, and (credit), I asked for toast without butter. The jelly tasted great and I know it had a lot fewer calories!

I hope everyone has a lovely and healthy holiday weekend !
Woodland
Old 09-05-2010, 12:51 AM   #54  

S/C/G: 170/163/135

Height: 5'4"

Hello Beck People,
Now that Kevin's going to school I notice I'm not paying as much attention to my Beck stuff. I get going on a project and since no one is there to interrupt me, I get a huge amount of momentum going and then it's hard to stop. More of the same today. It was so low humidity and sunny that I got inspired to wash the entire aviary all at once. It's a 20' by 20' converted garage with little sections dedicated to different groups of birds. Usually I wash one part at a time but today I got out the hose and blasted the whole thing -- walls, ceiling, everything. Then I had to sop up all the water and do the scrubbing. Turned out to be a much bigger project than I expected. I was still out there at 9 PM and I'm still not finished! <credit> for all the exercise but I didn't plan out my food very well and ran out of calories earlier in the day.

Shepherdess -- I thought of you while I was getting my bird-tending exercise. I'm guessing, birds aren't quite as strenuous as tending sheep. Less heavy lifting

I wrote this chart up yesterday and finished filling it in today. It's a 2 week chart. It's nice to see the 2 weeks of big changes all summarized

22....23....24....25....26....27....28............ ..............date

X.....X.....X.....X.....X.....X.....X............. ..............Outside in the garden?

X.....X.....X.....X.....X.....X.....X............. .............Sugar 200 or less?

.*.....X.....X.....X.....X.....X.....X.............. ..............No food after 8 PM?

X.....X.....X.....X.....X.....X.....X............. .............Check in with 3FC Blog?

X.....X.....X.....X.....X.....X.....X............. ..............Check in with Beck forum?

X.....X.....X.....X.....+......--.....--............................On Plan (1800, whole foods)?

29....30....31....01....02....03....04............ .............date

X......*.....X.....X......*.....X.....X...........................Outside in the garden?

X.....X.....X.....X......*.....X.....X..........................Sugar 200 or less?

X.....X.....X.....X.....X.....X.....X............. ...............No food after 8 PM?

X.....X......*......*......*......*.....X..........................Check in with 3FC Blog?

X.....X......*.....X.....X......*.....X...........................Check in with Beck forum?

--......+......+.....X.....X.....X.....X............ ................On Plan (1800, whole foods)?

X.....X.....X.....X.....X.....X.....X............. ...............Motivate (read cards or book?)

X.....X.....X.....X.....X.....X.....X............. ................Eat while seated, pay attention?

I'm really proud of myself, especially for the "no food after 8 PM" which is a HUGE change. <credit>

Continued thanks for all you guys write. Good stuff
Old 09-05-2010, 04:45 AM   #55  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Sunday

Hi Coaches
Hope you are having a good weekend. Have been working today to make up for the leave I took Thursday and Friday - work still to be done.

I haven't ate outside of plan today but think I have under-eaten - not sure why. Was distracted and didn't get to it. Will eat a healthy and substantial dinner. Don't think it is good for me to miss meals but today I just wasn't hungry

Starling - great achievement to take no food after 8pm - I did struggle with that one but seem to have it licked too
Debbie (Lexxiss) - I am impressed with drying peaches and stocking up. Credit for having meals planned and supplies in - most of the battle won
Shepherdess - love the idea of having the bucks separated from the girls - hope Bones settles. Kudos for considering the dog's exercise needs along with your own
gardenerjoy - Credit you for making such huge progress with yoga. I am so impressed by your new Tracker weight - you are definitely well into onederland territory and it doesn't seem that long ago...
BillBE - Grapes and cherries and dried fruit (sultanas and raisins) are danger territory and thanks for the reminder. It is so easy for me to think that healthy food is calorie free and to overdo it

Progress -
- I motivated myself by reading A&R cards - No

- Made food plan - Yes
- Logged food soon after eating - Yes
- Food on-plan - Yes
- Ate seated every time - No - a few at the sink incidents
- Ate mindfully & slowly & put down fork occasionally - Yes
- Weighed myself - Yes - up- 207.8
- Read the Green Book - No
- Exercise - No!

Working on -
STILL putting exercise back on the agenda

Have a good day Beckies
-----
Cheryl

Last edited by GosfordGirl; 09-05-2010 at 04:49 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:21 AM   #56  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Sunday of Labor Day Weekend

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Just one splendid fall day here - got a Delicata Squash at the farmer's market for which I drool in anticipation. Concentrated on my evening snack - an especially sweet wedge of seedless watermelon - as my Sabotaging Thoughts were demanding the bunch of grapes that I'd let slip into my life. Got back to the old feeling of I've had enough, which is a kind of edge that reminds me that I'm on a journey. CREDIT moi.

Had to go to Trader Joe's because my supermarket's bananas were all the same level of ripe. Bananas bought for Wednesday need to be more green than the ones for tomorrow, and Trader Joe's sells them by onezies (19 cents) in the full range of yellow to green. Acquiring and managing a weeks worth of fruits and vegetables was historically DW's job alone until my journey. It's an interesting challenge - Congrats to all of you who've managed this unheralded for years on end; you have my admiration.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats on the NSV of yoga poses doable. Yoga seems impossible for the person carrying weight.

Shepherdess - Yay for Acorn Squash. Double Yay for your curry with leftovers. My take is that being excited about the good food on our plan is a big part of success. Sending condolences to Bones who's been separated from her two boys by heartless ranchers. Sheep have feelings you know.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - It's so impressive that one can be busy enough to not think of food - inconceivable to me before my journey. Kudos for being there. Think you're dead right with, "It is so easy for me to think that healthy food is calorie free and to overdo it."

Debbie (Lexxiss) - You peak my desire to own a dehydrator and make peaches and apricots; just sounds cool to me. Kudos for getting your week's worth of meal ingredients planned and in house.

Woodland - Yay for garage sales; I love knowing that treasures lurk if you're a patient shopper. Kudos for your carefully ordered brunch.

Carol (Starling) - Yay for "a huge amount of momentum going" - good job making the transition to not-home-schooling-mom. Neat summary; Kudos for 13 days of your two weeks with no food after 8pm.

Readers -
Quote:
day 37
Reduce Stress

Three Steps to Lower Your Level of Stress

On Days 33 and 34 (pages 227-235) of this program, you learned how to cope with negative emotions and to solve problems that cause them. You'll use many of the same skills to cope with problems that create stress. Here are the steps you should take:

Step 1: Solve the Problem

If you're stressed because you have too many demands or responsibilities, go back to My Priority Chart (page 104) and divide your activities into essential, highly desirable, and desirable categories. Use the Seven Question Technique (pages 199-203) to respond to negative thoughts that interfere with problem solving. You might also find it helpful to ask a friend or your diet coach for help.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 244.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:43 AM   #57  
Green Tomatoes

I went back through old Excel files and old journals to piece together my weight history and realized that I remembered it wrong. Isn't that odd? I remember the last two years correctly: in the last year I lost 50 pounds and in the previous year, from summer 2008 to summer 2009, I gained 40 pounds. The shock of gaining 40 pounds in a year is what started me on this journey.

But before that, I've got pretty much every detail in my memory wrong. I though that in the five years prior to summer 2008 I had made tiny changes and lost the same 40 pounds that I gained in one year. I had lost the 40 pounds, but it only took two years, not five.

Then my story was that in the previous ten years or more, my weight was steady at around 240 and that I hadn't even attempted to lose weight because I was afraid of yo-yoing. There's a four year period in there where that may have been true since I have no recorded weights, but the rest of the time, my weight went up and down over about a twenty pound range and I was quite frequently trying to improve my eating and increase my exercise.

I also realized that 1991 was a pivotal year when I gained 35 pounds to put myself above 200 where I stayed for nearly 20 years. I was largely in denial, I think, and not fully aware of it at the time. Part of the denial, unfortunately, was believing that I was fat at 175 and not appreciating it for the nearly healthy weight that it was. So, somehow gaining 35 pounds felt no different than gaining five.

All of this means that some of the places where I've been telling myself that Beck doesn't apply to me are, in fact, false. I thought that I'd only tried to lose weight, seriously, about three times. In fact, I've only succeeded in any way that I measured about three times, but I've tried an uncountable number. I've also thought, for some reason, that I didn't have any immediate regret from overeating episodes that I could use in response to the "I don't care" sabotaging thoughts but it's very clear from my journals that I did.

WI: +0.25kg, Exercise: +60 245/1800 minutes for September, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: Oh, now I'm drooling for Delicata squash! Glad you were able to talk back to the grapes.

seadwaters: yay for being on plan (or under) and recognizing the danger zone of being too far under

Starling: love your chart! What a great way to give yourself credit over time for your successes.

Woodland: this is exactly what has made the difference for me: "Yeah for planning ahead, or being able to make a quick change and still feel good about it. Having a sense of control over food makes a big difference." Thanks for putting it so well!

Lexxiss: yay for a weekend plan, with ingredients!

Shepherdess: hope Bones is feeling better soon! So glad the curry worked out and you got the bonus of healthy, tasty leftovers!

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 09-05-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:48 AM   #58  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Sure feels like Fall here too. Last week it was in the 80s. Today I woke up to 36 degrees. Hard to believe. During my morning walk yesterday I wore a hat, scarf and gloves - looks like I will yet again.

Yesterday I had another one of my snack-y, weekend days. However, this time, unlike the time last weekend when I over did it, I tracked everything I ate. I ended up only 100 calories over my plan, which I feel is a vast improvement. I ended my super with "I've had enough." --BillBE

• Weighed myself this a.m. 196.4
  • Walked in the cold weather
  • Tracked everything I ate
  • Tracked my walks
  • Did some floor exercises too
  • Cleaned house for a couple hours
  • Relaxed and watched a movie
  • Painted a test swatch on the wall - I hate deciding on colors.

Maryann: Being all to everyone is very exhausting. Credit for not letting it leak into your healthy foods choices.

Lexxis: Gains are a hard one to forgive ourselves for.. It feels like a failure. Major credit for realizing and learning that it is all about the process. Glad you didn't get stopped by that bear! The hunters have been visiting our road pretty regularly. I saw one go out with one a couple of days ago. (guess I'm back a few days - what do you do with dehydrated peaches?)

Shepherdess: I think you did a good job adapting to your day. Instead of chips, I healthier choice may have been a handful of nuts- energy for moving them sheep! - hope you snuck past your poor, tied dog..

Woodland: Glad you are staying on your Beck plan! You are so close goal. Have you made plans to celebrate your success?

OnebyOne: I can't wait to see pictures of these body parts. I sounds comical when you talk of torsos, arms, hips and legs .

NatureGirl: I recall a member saying that they waited to do the hunger experiment until they had gotten their blood sugar until control. Good job giving yourself credit. It can be the most awkward thing to start doing, but I think now, that it is the most important.

Seadwaters: Nice to have your sister around for that support. I haven't been paying attention to your elections, but they sound exciting!

BillBE: Glad the storm didn't effect you too much! Grapes are stinkers. One of my cleansing diets involves eating fruit for 3 days - just fruit and pretty much as much as you want. I would bring a whole bag of them (or cherries) to work with me and graze on them all day. Although that got me back into eating fruit (which is the most important thing) I think that it also set me up to think that I could have as much fruit as I wanted, even when I was having regular meals.

GardenerJoy: Nice work on the Yoga! I've been contemplating some different exercises myself- they had a Bollywood show on yesterday- it looks crazy, but it also looks like fun.

Starling: It is so important to make time for yourself and you health. It takes practice.

Last edited by AmberPr; 09-05-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:51 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 192/192/140

Height: 5'4"

Good morning Beckies! Hope everyone is enjoying their holiday weekend or regular weekend for those outside the US.

Still feeling good. Still dropping a little weight. This morning I am down to 139 so I changed my ticker.

Antibiotics are done! Liquid diet is done! I had my normal protein smoothie this morning, but my second meal consisted of a Whole Food's version of egg beaters and a quarter of a gluten free bagel (this is more like a soft roll than a traditional dense bagel). I'm waiting to see how this sits. At first my stomach wasn't sure it liked food after almost two weeks of liquid, but it's holding, lol. I know I should be gradually adding more solid food, so I'm trying not to overdo for a couple of days. By Tuesday when I go back to work, I hope to be able to eat my pseudo chili, lol.

Yesterday was a rest day, but I did have a very nice massage. The lady I normally see left, so I had a new therapist and she was VERY knowledgeable about treating arthritis in the neck. Felt great, but my neck is sore today, lol. That's not unusual by the way...my neck was always more sore after a physical therapy session for a day or two. Still, I am planning to do a weight workout after I'm done here. I'm lightening up my weights just a bit until I see how I do...haven't really done anything in two weeks. {{sigh, lol}} Now that I'm pretty certain the eggs are holding and have settled, I can begin.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

My running partner was back in good form today so we went for a run this AM. I did get my exercise in yesterday. I wasn’t feeling like doing anything, but finally did some yoga. So credit for moving when I didn’t feel like it.

We had whipped squash and roasted brussels sprouts and red onions. I never knew brussels sprouts could be so good, but this is one of my favorite recipes. The leaves get crispy and have a satisfying chip-like crunch. I posted the recipe on the recipe thread.

Just as we were finishing dinner we saw a fire truck go by our house. It is still fire season out here. So DH headed out to help them with the fire. We hadn’t seen any lightening so it took us by surprise. It was pretty big one and DH was out late. It just made me antsy, not quite sure why. This is just something we live with and this is certainly not the first fire of the year. We had several in one day a few weeks ago. In response to feeling agitated, I started some post-dinner nibbling, but stopped myself pretty quickly. I’m taking credit for that.

Lexxiss, now you have me thinking about dried fruit. It reminds me of fall when I was a kid, my mom canned and dried all the fruit she could get her hands on. Great job doing all that work and staying OP while busy.

Woodland, having a sense of control over my eating is one of my advantage cards. It’s a work in progress, but I definitely have more control now than when I started almost a year ago! Great job staying OP even with changing plans.

Starling, nothing like a huge project to get you some spontaneous exercise! Hosing down an aviary sounds like a lot of work. Congrats on sticking to the “No food after 8 PM rule.” That’s a tough one to follow. The chart looks like a great way to track progress.

Seadwaters, wow for being too distracted to eat. It reminds me of a conversation I once had with two friends. One said that she sometimes got so busy she forgot to eat and my other friend replied, “I’ve never forgotten to eat. In fact, I have days when all I remember to do is eat.” Kudos for planning a healthy dinner to make up for the distractions.

BillBE, kudos for getting back that old “I’ve had enough feeling.” You’ve got me inspired to look for Delicata Squash at the Farmer’s Market. I guess these fall squashes ease the pain of seeing summer go. LOL at dealing with banana ripeness issues. I’m the only one in the house who eats bananas and I try to have one on most days, which means that I’m usually either eating a green banana or one that is just past the what I consider its prime.

Gardenerjoy, kudos for going back over your weight loss history. I’m sure that if I had a record of my own weight loss history, it would surprise me. It’s interesting that you pinpointed that feeling fat when you were at a healthy weight was one of the triggers. I think the same was true for me. I’ve felt fat when I was at my current weight (and slimmer) and so the thought was, “I’m already fat. What does it matter if I eat X?” I’m still struggling with feeling fat at this weight, even though I know rationally that this is a wonderful weight for me. Learning to talk back to those thoughts, Beck style, is definitely helping.

AmberPr, great job bundling up and getting out for that walk even though fall has arrived. We were having fall, but summer is back, at least for a few days. Kudos for limiting a snacky-day. It’s all about making small steps towards your goal.

New2me2, yay for being back to real food! Glad your stomach is holding. I would probably dive right into one of those big meals I’d been missing, so great job taking it slow. Great job easing back into the exercise. Looks like you’re well on your way to recovery!
Closed Thread