Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 04:26 AM   #16  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

Maryea, thanks for the kind welcome.

There's a Yoga for Seniors segment at Yogatic, which is much easier. I, too, find the poses/stretches very challenging and am starting with the easier ones and the ones I know. I really like being able to do exercises at home.

How nice that you know Tai Chi. Hope your husband is recovering well.

The hottest weather has arrived, so am walking even earlier and doing more Callanetics, stretches and dance movements inside.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:19 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Hi Everybody. Busy day for me. Y'all have a good day!
Old 07-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 294.5/276/190

Height: 5'2"

Finally after much sweating and hauling of groceries and actually moving my butt I have lost .... drum roll please.. 1/2 pound!!!! so okay.. I finally was able to change my ticker.

The reality of my lady's surgery is sinking in. I will have to get serious about weight training if I mean to lift and move her. My CA daughter is a med tech, so I will be flying to CA in August and getting some care giving tips.
I was planning to fly to CA before the surgery. My lady postponed the operation so I could see my daughter and grand daughter. (wow) <dr said this was okay>

Welcome to all the new folks!

Last edited by chicpanda; 07-22-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #19  

Trish, hope your day is going very nicely.

Chicpanda, congratulations on the five pounds. That's super! How nice you'll be going to CA to see your daughter.

Sending you all good thoughts for success today.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:16 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 294.5/276/190

Height: 5'2"

Hey SilverLife-- Is that what we should call you? thanks for the feedback, but it was only 1/2 pound.. my bad typing made it look like more. and it took weeks for me to get to this point.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:49 PM   #21  

Chicpanda, 1/2 pound is a victory! I'd be delighted to see 1/2 pound down. I've been staying where I am for awhile and am wondering if I'm building muscle, having a metabolism rebellion, or what. I'm plugging away, but not going so "gung ho" as I was for the last couple of months.

Am enjoying moving more, but am indeed wondering about metabolism slow down, the slow metabolism of those have dieted a lot, who were very heavy, who have often been or are quite sedentary, etc. Who knows?

You can type "Silver" or some folks call me "Em".

Am sending you good thoughts for further success!
Old 07-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Coralee, I have you and your special lady friend in my prayers. That was very sweet of her to postpone her surgery until after your trip, but it's a shame that she's in such agonizing pain. I hope the surgery is successful and she's back on her feet soon afterwards. And congratulations on the great weight-loss!

Em, it's nice to meet you! That's an interesting concept about metabolism slowing down after you've dieted so long, and one that I've often contemplated, too. It seems that the older we get, the harder it is to make the pounds melt off.

to everyone else who's reading this.

Like most of the country, it's been an exceptionally hot summer here. Thank goodness we've been getting rain regularly, though, or everything would be burned and brown by now. The garden is thriving and I think I've eaten zucchini in some form or other every day for the past 2 months, lol! Our tomatoes are lovely this year and we've been enjoying our favorite tomato, cucumber & onion salad with produce fresh from the garden.
The family I work for is on vacation this week, but I stayed behind to take care of their farm and so that I can take my vacation in August. I'm going to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia for a week and can hardly wait!
Other than that, we've been enjoying the grandkids coming over almost daily to use the pool. Little Tyler is doing his best to learn to swim so he can keep up with the older kids. It's hard to believe he'll be 3 this weekend. We're hosting a family pool party Saturday to celebrate, and they're calling for record-breaking heat. I know we'll all be in the pool, trying to cool off. Maybe Jake should consider moving the BBQ grill next to the pool so he can stand in the water while he's grilling, LOL!
Old 07-22-2010, 06:54 PM   #23  

Cottagebythesea, it's nice to meet you, too! I've been reading threads in the Maintenance Forum about how the metabolism adjusts to lower calorie intake, and to activity, requiring fewer calories. There are links to several articles and many good posts.

Also, those who were clinically obese and are now of normal weight have slower metabolisms than those who are still clinically obese and slower than those who have never been obese. The "reduced obese" have metabolisms that are very efficient at using calories. They use fewer calories in activities than others. So, being older slows the metabolism, being sedentary, going on diets over the years, being female, and if one is now of normal weight, but was clinically obese, that slows the metabolism by 15-20%.

So, I'm trying to keep the carbohydrates lower and to exercise more. Apparently, strength training is key to increasing metabolism and increasing lean body mass (within one's overall body weight).

I've taken up using my rebounder again, in addition to the Callanetics. Rebounding and Callanetics both use the body's own weight as resistance. I may do some of those arm exercises with soup cans, but have started doing some of the easier yoga exercises, which is strength training as well.

Gardening and walking get me outside.

And then, there's the rest of life!

How lovely to go to Nova Scotia. That's been on my wish list for eons.

What dear time with your grandchildren. It's sweet to think of.

Hope you all have a lovely evening.

Last edited by SilverLife; 07-22-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:01 PM   #24  
small goals

S/C/G: 241/171/150

Height: 5'6"

Not to be nit picking (ok maybe I am), there are groups 20somethings, 30somethings, 40somethings, then all people over the age of 50 are grouped together. Doesn't seem fair, is it because 50 is some kind of past menopause, who cares age? I argue that people 25 have more in common with those 35, than say 55 does with 95 (which is not an unreasonable age). For those that believe 95 is stretching, the argument still applies when comparing 55 to 85, 55 to 75. Or is it about the numbers of people on this site? Do the numbers support having one catchall for a decades spanning group, and the need for things broken down to ten year marks for the younger groups?
Just curious...
Old 07-23-2010, 01:00 AM   #25  

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone! It's been a nice day and I did some yard work while my dh sit in the sun. Took longer because the neighbors came over for a chat but we enjoyed that too. So, I didn't get much done IN the house...still working on my laundry..but tomorrow's another day!

gonna- I tend to agree with you on the age division of the forum but not sure how it should be broken down. Whatever the age of course there are always those who are younger and those that are older for their age.

cottage - glad you are enjoying the produce from your garden. We are using our garlic and onions but that's it so far. I would say I can't wait for the tomatoes but then the summer would be almost over and it goes way too fast as it is!

Coralee - I too would love to see a 1/2 pound loss that stayed off...that's the trick for me...keeping them off! And the way I ate today it won't happen. Made the mistake of eating popcorn tonight and then my dh (who doesn't usually!) ask me to pop ANOTHER bag and I gave in! I guess better popcorn than somethings but still...

Silver - thanks for the senior link. I will try it.

Hope you are all having a nice evening.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:11 AM   #26  

Good Morning, everyone!

Gonna, the administrator(s) of the whole website set(s) up the forums. Apparently there are not too many folks over 75, so the over-50s forum tends to be visited by people in their 50s and 60s and early 70s. I think what Maryea posted is true, people can feel an affinity with those who are older or younger. There are several people who post regularly in the Maintenance Forum who are well over 50 who don't post in this forum. People just "go" to the sections of 3fc that attract them the most. I would think that if there were strong requests put to them directly for a new section to 3fc that the administrators would oblige. I've found that it can really take a lot of looking to find the places on a forum where I feel the most comfortable.

I'm working on thinking through my plan, as I've reached a point where I'm maintaining, and still want to bid adieu to a few pounds. Perhaps my body just needs a bit of a rest after the last couple of months of losing weight. Have been reading all sorts of things and thinking.

Hope you all have a lovely start this morning!

Old 07-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #27  
GmaTo8

Hi ladies,

Mary - aren't those electic carts in stores just the best thing for injured people? It helps their mood so much to be able to get out and among 'em! About the hypnosis - I wonder even though you fell asleep, did the message go through to your subconscience? Hmmm. Do you eat lite popcorn?

Gonna - I didn't give you a proper welcome on the last thread, so here goes: Glad to have you here! Yes, this site is absolutely wonderful! As far as seperate forums for 50s, 60s, etc, the low numbers of members in those group who actually post here doesn't show the need for them, so that's why we don't have them. Again, I'm so glad you joined us!

Silver - to you, too! I know this horribly hot weather has played havoc with my weight loss, as far as a steady loss each week. I will go a couple of weeks with a small loss, or even a gain, then drop a larger amount on the 3rd or 4th week. Very frustrating! But as long as I'm staying OP, and eventually losing, I try hard to not let it bother me. I noticed that you are at a pretty good weight for your height, and wonder what your goal weight is? Wow, you're doing great with the exercise.

Trish - are the chocolate protein shakes helping with your nighttime cravings? How's the shingles? Hope they are gone!

Coralee - YAY for the 1/2 pound gone. That's like 2 sticks of butter! I bet you are so glad to be going to CA to see your daughter. Do you get out there very often? I really, really like CA, and want to visit again some day.

Linda - I know you will have such a good time in Nova Scotia! Happy Birthday to your Tyler. We're celebrating our Tyler's 7th b'day on Sunday, but his actual bday is Thursday. Hey, if Jake is gonna stand in the pool and use the BBQ grill, make sure it's not an electric one, hahaha.

Doris, Carol, Tammy, Bonnie, Bliss, Debbie, & Pam - we really miss you and hope you check in again very soon.

My son-in-law's beloved stepmother Sharon died on the operating table yesterday, unexpectedly, and so Mary and her family are again in mourning. Jason's grandpa died just 1 month ago. The kiddos are just so greif-stricken, which make me so, so sad for them. Sharon has been such a big part of their lives for the past 2 years.

I've been doing great, staying OP, but as usual, the exercise is lacking. I do have a whole lot more energy now, having lost, and tend to move more in general. I copied some pics of me from our WDW trip last December, and am going to begin a new Weight Loss scrapbook after school starts and I'm missing the grands. That will help keep me busy.

One more thing - those of you who haven't already done so may want to fill out a "Daily Chatters" bio up in the Sticky area so we can get to know you better!

Have a good weekend.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:03 PM   #28  

Height: 5'3"

Jane, I usually eat light popcorn but not always. Actually I haven't eaten popcorn for a long time until recently when I found a bunch of packages in the cupboard! Didn't realize I had it! It's not in a box but some of it tastes like the light kind and some I'm not so sure. Even though it is old it sure tastes good since I hadn't had it for a while.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:44 AM   #29  

Jane, thanks for the kind welcome. I'm very sorry for the losses in your family.

I put my goal weight back in my profile. It's the weight I was before I gained weight. I'm looking forward to wearing all my clothes again.

I noticed you don't have any weight info in your profile or a ticker. Are you on maintenance?

Hope you all have a lovely start to your day this morning!
Old 07-24-2010, 10:35 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Jane I drink it before I go to bed. Since I have seem to have developed a real desire for chocolate, it seemes to take care of my craving for chocolate. Tony and I eat our main meal so early in the day. Now that I drink a fruit type shake in the morning, I have started eating breakfast foods at about 6 in the evening. This seems to have eliminated the cravings because I know that I am going to have a chocolate shake before going to bed. My blood pressure has come back down to what is normal for me... below the 120/80 and my blood sugar morning readings are coming down. Not in the normal glucose reading yet, but I plan to get back to my exercise next week which should get that back to normal as well. Thanks for asking.

I am so sorry about the kiddos losing Sharon. They and the family will be in my prayers.
Closed Thread