Old 06-14-2007, 05:08 PM   #286  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Kimush they do SAT's in high school. A lot of scholarships you have to write an essay. Some of the schools do interviews depends where you apply. My oldest didn't have to interview but she wasn't applying to any of the big ivy league schools.

My frend whose son is going to Duke went there 3 times for interviews and visits. That wasn't the only school they flew to. It paid off for them as there were 2 schools who offered him full scholarships.
Clydegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:12 PM   #287  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I only have 20 minutes to report. It is hot!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:41 PM   #288  

Then I went with Dh to get a paper ... it's a bit cooler now.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:25 PM   #289  

S/C/G: 199/194/140

Height: 5'2"

Hi girls! I'm a 40-something and I'm really enjoying this thread! I was on this site awhile ago and like Nichola, I'm back again. Didn't lose the weight and I'm getting very down about it. The worst part is that I have an 8 year old son and he is starting to gain now too. I don't know how because he is sooo active all the time but he is! If I was that active I'd weigh 3 lbs! I guess I'm not that great with food choices and then trying to find things that kids will eat, well that's another story all together! I was hoping for some advice, support and direction.
Helene
It's Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:37 PM   #290  
Constantly Tweaking

S/C/G: 172/159/130

Height: 5'2" (give or take)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimush;1731895
I think that I just sprouted grey hairs for each and everyone one of you! I think you guys need more than a group hug...maybe a group drink! [/COLOR
Hey, make mine an icy cold Corona please!!

You guys!!!!!!!! Guess what??? I found a TM on Craigslist. It's a Smooth Fitness 7.1 Pro. The guy has only had it 6 months and is turning his basement into an entertainment room and wants to get rid of it. I'm getting a really good deal on it. The warranties don't carry over to me but I've been doing my research and they offer lifetime warranties on their frames and motors, which tells me they last. They're rated way up there on all review forums I've read. They're like gym quality. I'm so excited. He's even meeting me 1/2 way and will help put it in the car. I'm giving him a call tomorrow and picking it up tomorrow night. He offered to come and set it up at the house for some extra money but I'm really wary of that. Everything sounds upfront and great but you just never know. I'd rather give my neighbor something for helping us get it down the basement. Yes, hubby is going w/me. I'd never meet someone by myself.

Just a quickie here to share. And here I thought I'd be TMless for weeks! Got to go; extremely busy weekend here. Will pop in when I can (read that as 'kids are off from school and getting on the computer at all is next to impossible now and when I do there is always that audience' TTFN!!!!!

Jo
Is that really me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:03 PM   #291  
It Just Goes To Show You!

S/C/G: 222/195.5/136

Hello Girls...

Hey a newbie... Its Time Hello Helene glad to have you...you came to the right place for support and suggestions...and even a funny story that will make you laugh! a lot! Everyone is doing a little bit of everything on here...I am on the Best Life Diet and love it!

I am in a sucky mood... Here is the LAUGH of the DAY!

I woke up this morning and new that I would have problems because I looked like Benicio Del Toro and Arte Johnson (when he played Renfield in Love at First Bite '79) and Quasimodo...I am sure you all have the visual... I must have consumed about 3-4 litres of H2o on both Tuesday and Wednesday because it was so hot and I was working on cleaning the house and the gardens and I must have retained every darned bit...or at least my eyes (face), toes (feet) and fingers (hands)...

I needed to rectify this quickly as I have meetings all morning with lawyers over a trial that I have to testify in...So to rectify this what do I do...I put a very cold cloth on my face and then cover my face with Preparation H (apparently this is a model trick and works for Elisabeth all the time...Now mind you she is 5'5" and 115lbs and blonde, beautiful and brainy)...I eat my breakfast and dutifully wait and I still look like I was attacked by African Killer Bees and on top of this I look all greasy... In fact I ended up with the cream in my hair and I had to rewash my hair because it looked like I had a product explosion...

So needless to say I did not lose anything but I gained 2 lbs...Now I figured after the weekend of non-stop eating out! but really...

Susan B...I am walking as this hasn't been a problemo since I am perimenapausal I am up later at night so I walk my 2 km when it is cool and dark... And I continue to gripe but I am journalling so I know my mistakes from the weekend but this is craziness...I really needed the water (or so I thought)!

Any suggestions...now yesterday I ate only salads (but with nuts, seeds, dried fruits, fruits, cheese, grilled turkey), fresh fruits, and toast for breakfast...I don't have any appetite except for juicy watery stuff...any ideas?
Kimush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:28 AM   #292  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
Good afternoon! Where are the walkers? I'm soooo weary but I'd go for a quick walk before supper .... Anybody?
My kids and I did two miles yesterday with two of our dogs. We'll be walking again today, I hope.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:32 AM   #293  

Morning. I've got no ideas about fluid. I was so sure the nurse practitioner would put me on something for that and my BP but she didn't. So far all that works is drinking my coffee, water and working. By noon I will have dropped whatever fluid I've got on board.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:06 AM   #294  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Welcome Helene! My son (11 years old) sounds a lot like your son. He is so active, but he is overweight. He's not nearly in the situation that I am, but he is still overweight. His biggest problem is his love of soda and treats. He is a very fun and friendly kid and just enjoys life, but I've been working with him on making better food choices. I also challenged him to work with me on his running this summer, before football starts in the fall. This is partially for him, but also for me. I told him that he could help me get to where I can go from just walking to maybe jogging a little. He just really isn't into healthy eating. He doesn't really like most vegetables, although he has to eat them. Fresh fruit doesn't do anything for him... although he has to eat them! I told him that he doesn't need to "diet", but he needs to make healthier choices. They have the benefit of being able to grow out of it when they start growing taller, but they still need to learn to make good, healthy food choices.

I need to get in with you guys on your walking. I have been slacking this week. It is getting hot and walking over my lunch hour is not all that enticing. I need to get up early or walk at night. Neither one sounds like fun to me! It's been such a busy, crazy summer and I feel like I've been running like a mad woman. (that would be running.... as in driving my car all over) I guess the kids are having fun! ha!

Good story, Kimush. Made me laugh. I've been feeling rather itchy (add the "b"), so it helped. Maybe lack of exercise is making me cranky. Could it be? ha!

Jo, that's great you found a TM. Maybe you can drink your ice cold Corona to celebrate!! ha! It sounds like it was meant to be for you to have that TM, so that's good!

That's all for now! Talk to you all later!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 03:41 PM   #295  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

I'm sorry it's too hot can't do my usual walk in this heat. I just got back from a family fun day and it was over a large area, which we walked around. Maybe I'll do some later.

Kimush that made me laugh about the prep.h. You didn't put it all over your face did you? Hope you're feeling better and the swelling comes down.

Helene. Jump in anytime and join in the chat.

Last edited by Clydegirl; 06-15-2007 at 05:19 PM.
Clydegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:18 PM   #296  

Hi! Thanks for all the welcomes!! I think I'm gonna try your idea Slashnl. If I turn things around and he thinks he's walking, etc to help ME (which he always wants to do, thankfully!) it just might work! Thanks!
I haven't picked a diet plan to follow yet...there are so many out there and they all claim to be "the last diet you'll ever need!" There is a girl I work with who lost 57 pounds on weight watchers in a little under a year but I'm so busy that I don't think I'd have time to keep track of points and monitor every little thing I put in my mouth. I thought of NutraSystem but being a single mom with only one income and no child support (my choice...no support no visitation) it was just too expensive when I added it all up. I may just take a bit from each one I see and create my own plan. I was on Fat Smash last year and I did lose about 12 pounds but it was very boring on phase one and I had a really rough time staying on it. Well, hopefully I can figure out something by Monday and start then.
I did one very good thing, I think, that could have been a dangerous situation. After playing at the park, a bunch of us went to Dairy Queen. While they were all getting ice cream cones and hot fudge sundaes (drool!) I got a fat free/sugar free fudge bar....only 50 calories. I'm proud!
Talk to you soon!
Helene
Old 06-15-2007, 11:15 PM   #297  

Hi gals! I didn't walk today. Work was horrifying. I had a nap after, gardened and helped load a pile of decking onto a trailor ... that's enough. Not too hot, just creaky and tired

Hi Helene! Why don't you try just doing what you did today? Wise choices, healthier foods? Sounds like you did good so far.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:39 AM   #298  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Helene, I'm with Susan. Maybe just eating sensibly and getting exercise are just what you need. I've started rather slowly because I was in such pathetic shape at the beginning of this. I keep working my way up on exercise, watch portion size, and go with healthier choices. I know what you mean about being busy, but we have to try to keep this in the front.

That's one of the "do as I say, not as I do" statements!!!!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 03:54 PM   #299  

Good afternoon! I just got back from the market. Stocked up on all kind of good stuff. I'm trying to plan all the meals for the week and get some of them prepared ahead of time. It's supposed to rain all day tomorrow so that would be the best time. This way, I'll just have to heat them up when I get home from work. I went onto a few websites and found low fat/calorie versions of alot of "regular" foods and they look really easy. Well, have a great day! I'll probably pop in later!
Helene

Old 06-16-2007, 11:02 PM   #300  
It Just Goes To Show You!

S/C/G: 222/195.5/136

Hey there Girls...

I am looking like my good olde fashion self...and I am not going to drink as much as rapidly...and Preparation H does not work on the whole face apparently it works on the eyes or around the eyes...but it didn't work on either of them...but the positive...It was a tremendous moisturizer and really soaked into my skin...it could be a different type of mask...

Steelslady, SusanB and Clydegirl......with this break in the heat and my place is still crazy hot walking is a welcomed treat!

Helene and Slashnl...I would be interested in hearing how receptive the boys are to the healthy eating and lifestyle choices...My nephew is much like I was growing up...quiet and shy and overwt for his height/age...I know that his doctor has talked to my sister about Joseph needing to lose weight...I worry for him so much as I don't think that my sister is taking this seriously and we don't have the type of relationship where I can talk to her about this...
Kimush is offline   Reply With Quote