Old 06-12-2007, 10:06 AM   #271  

S/C/G: 245/237/165

Height: 5'10.5"

Default Looking forward to my walk

THANK YOU!
My knees are a bit sore and I was actually considering finding something else to do today at lunch...
But SusanB, I'm taking you up on the walking thing. : I'll be walking today at lunch in my new Earth shoes. THANK YOU SO MUCH for offering that push!
Clydegirl, you, me, and SusanB: :cheer2 we'll be walking and "drinking" buddies. I'm not doing as well today as I normally do. I've usually had a quart and a half by now and I'm still working on my first quart.
Jo - Sorry to hear about your TM . I bought my elliptical at Play It Again Sports and I love it. You might also check the FreeCycle/CheapCycle groups in your area. We just had a Wieder Home Gym and a TM listed.
I'm excited about working out today!
TTFN,
Cammie
ShyCammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:06 PM   #272  
It Just Goes To Show You!

S/C/G: 222/195.5/136

Height: 5'2"

Hey Girls...How is everyone?

Susan B "It's nice to know that I've typed something helpful when I'm just kinda floatin"...you are always helpful...I may complain but your praise of journalling has me at least conforming (and complaining)...thanks for your words of wisdom!

Cammie Way to go and congrats on the weight loss... ...

Jo...oh how you make me smile and laugh...at times you remind me of Erma Bombeck... I love how you incorporate humour into your writing...Your educational set-up is so much more different than Canada what is the difference between a private college or a state college? Also sorry for the TM breakdown...but one of my co-workers swears by garage sales for all of her equipment!

Clydegirl... Way to go! On the walking! In this heat it is horrible...but doing it when your little one is playing is an awesome multi-tasking...you could also chase her around to make it more interesting and tell her that you are playing tag!

Slashnl I love what you wrote about church..."how when you are trying to do the right thing, the devil will try different things to make it more difficult for you"...I really like that and can see so many roadblocks that have to side-stepped...

Hey Everyone! I read somewhere that the average adult loses 4 cups of sweat in one day...pretty gross! But there are some very huge benefits there...don't you think ladies how much does 4 cup weigh...can you see where I am going with this?

Well have a terrific day tomorrow everyone!
Kimush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:37 PM   #273  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

It's hot and will be all week. I didn't get my walk in today but I have a good excuse. I volunteer tues and thur mornings and then had other stuff to do including going to the pool. I will get some in tomorrow.

Kimush state schools are cheaper than private schools. We looked at both for my oldest and no way could we afford $34,000 a year for college. So she's going to a state school and loving it. I told middle daughter she had better get scholarships when it's her turn. She will be going into her junior year so I guess she better start looking.

Jo the dorm my oldest was in last year was like that 4 girls, 2 rooms sharing a bathroom. When she goes back after summer she will go in to an apartment on campus. That's too bad about your treadmill I'm sure you will find something else. They're really expensive to buy new.

Stay cool.
Clydegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:22 AM   #274  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I'm going to work ladies. You all need to leave glowing reports about what lovely walks you had today ... that'll get my lazy self out walking later today. Cuz a deal's a deal, right?

Roughly in metric ... 4 cups is a liter which weighs a kilogram which is about 2.2 lbs.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:48 AM   #275  
Constantly Tweaking

S/C/G: 172/159/130

Height: 5'2" (give or take)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimush View Post
Jo...oh how you make me smile and laugh...at times you remind me of Erma Bombeck... I love how you incorporate humour into your writing...Your educational set-up is so much more different than Canada what is the difference between a private college or a state college? Also sorry for the TM breakdown...but one of my co-workers swears by garage sales for all of her equipment!
Kim, glad to bring a smile to your face! Yes, yes I've been told I'm just a joke many times -- hey wait, that's not right is it? Ah, the difference between a private college and a state college is about $80,000 over the course of four years! Like the college you looked at, Clydegirl, this one we just saw runs about $36,000 a year. I really doubt she's going there. I'm kind of mad that we even went because I knew how much she'd love it. We have an Open House scheduled for another private one the end of July. I'm wondering if maybe we should cancel. The thing is, private schools are way smaller in student size. Max. students for a general class is like 30 kids; for your major it's lik 10-15 kids per class. State schools can run mid-size to huge. The ones we've looked at her major classes w/have about 25-35 kids and general classes larger; 1 or 2 possibly 90 kids or more. BUT, the money -- good Lord it's a lot of money that we just don't have. Who wants to graduate from college w/a huge debt monkey on their back? Blech

Well, my walk didn't happen yesterday either but the living room, dining room and family room are spotless. So hopefully that counts for something. Today is the last of school for the rugrats so I am enjoying my last few hours of silence. I'm off to go lift some weights, get a shower, pick up Julie, run to the store then hopefully be home around 12:30 and walk the dog. BTW, her fur cut turned out great but even better, she's not nearly so hot now.

Jo
Is that really me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:39 AM   #276  
Constantly Tweaking

S/C/G: 172/159/130

Height: 5'2" (give or take)

CG -- when you looked at private colleges did your daughter like the private schools for their size? Does she feel that her state college is a good size? I know it all depends on the kid. Julie has like 500 or 600 hundred juniors in her h.s.; I graduated w/400 in the whole school, 100 in my class. She is also taken w/the nuns (the school we looked at is Catholic). She's like "mom, how cool would it be to be taught by a nun?" She's definintely a horse of a different color!

Jo
Is that really me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:57 PM   #277  
One pound at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
I'm going to work ladies. You all need to leave glowing reports about what lovely walks you had today ... that'll get my lazy self out walking later today. Cuz a deal's a deal, right?

Roughly in metric ... 4 cups is a liter which weighs a kilogram which is about 2.2 lbs.
Reporting in, I did 30 minutes in 86 degree heat at a brisk pace. This humidity is a killer.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:09 PM   #278  
One pound at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Is that really me View Post
CG -- when you looked at private colleges did your daughter like the private schools for their size? Does she feel that her state college is a good size? I know it all depends on the kid. Julie has like 500 or 600 hundred juniors in her h.s.; I graduated w/400 in the whole school, 100 in my class. She is also taken w/the nuns (the school we looked at is Catholic). She's like "mom, how cool would it be to be taught by a nun?" She's definintely a horse of a different color!

Jo
To be honest I don't think she was looking at their size. It was more the academics they offered. She was accepted at Loyola in Chicago and Saint Louis University but I told her paying over $30,000 a year tuition was too much. So she's going to a state school in Illinois much cheaper and much smaller than the other 2. She loves it. Their class size is small 17 to 1.

There are a lot of scholarships out there I wish we had encouraged her to apply for more than she did. My middle daughter knows that she will have to apply for a lot. She however has a much better GPA so I'm hoping that she will be offered incentives from the schools she applies to. I have a friend whose son is going to Duke after the summer he got a full scholarship from them., That's a big chunk of change right there.

Good luck it's an exciting time.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:31 PM   #279  

Holy Moly ladies...

Just a quick note...as I am on the run and will write later...

I thought that my daughters tuition would be steep for law school as it will be $12,000 (then the living on top of that but she will be living with her boyfriend who is a police man)...

I think that I just sprouted grey hairs for each and everyone one of you! I think you guys need more than a group hug...maybe a group drink!
Old 06-13-2007, 04:45 PM   #280  

I walked to do my errands gals. Ya know, I wouldn't do that for just anybody in 93 degree weather!!! 30 minutes!
Old 06-13-2007, 06:55 PM   #281  

S/C/G: 245/237/165

Height: 5'10.5"

Default Reporting

Hello Ladies!
I ended up staying home from work all day with the AC guy. THANK Goodness it's only in the 70's/low 80s here right now because my AC is OUT! He's supposed to come back and fix it tomorrow. (Please pray that it works out.)
I did exercise 30 mins on the cross trainer (15 mins and 15 mins) as well as a 1+ mile walk. Granted, it wasn't as fast as I'd like, (plus I stopped to talk to neighbors) but it was movement.
Nutrition: Doing better. Measured my shredded wheat and bran cereal, had fruit for a snack, Lunch was simple and I didn't eat until I couldn't...actually cooked dinner-Turkey (probably a total of 7-8 oz because I did take bites putting leftovers away), 1 serving brown rice, and beets. Desert was SF chocolate pudding. I'm stuffed. It's probably a total of 1800, I haven't done the numbers yet, but, I'm going to sit down and journal after this.
One of the things I've found about journaling was that I'm looking back to when I was losing weight to see "what I was doing right" at that time.
I'm also going to start visualizing just before I go to sleep. We'll see how well that works because it's going to be a challenge. I'm asleep sometimes before my head hits the pillow.
Gotta run, I'm making Jello for tomorrow and I have a 2 year old pulling on me to "do" my hair. It's a somewhat painful process, but it's good practice for her.
Cammie
ShyCammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:23 PM   #282  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyCammie View Post
One of the things I've found about journaling was that I'm looking back to when I was losing weight to see "what I was doing right" at that time.

Cammie

By George! I think she's got it!
Old 06-13-2007, 10:13 PM   #283  

Hey Girls...

Cammie... Terrific...you are doing really well...I hope that you are taking some time to give yourself some pats on the back and treating yourself to something just for you everyday (an long soak when the kids are in bed!)?..You need to honey because you are doing really well and need some recognition from yourself...

Today was about humidity 44% humidex of 38 and temp of 30...we are metric so that is about 86 temp and 100.4 with the humidity...I have to weigh in tomorrow and all that I have been doing is drinking...and then with my weekend in Windsor I ate out all the time and did not stick to my diet well...I made some solid choices though but regardless...I hope that I didnt gain too much!

Susan B I have been still walking...but it is not until 11pm as it is too hot to walk or do anything...I don't have air conditioning so this sucks...I just have a bunch of fans moving around the hot air...so if you sweat 4 cups you lose 2.2 lbs...why then does the math not work out!

Ladies...I was talking today with my neighbour who was a physiotherapist (retired now) and she said that in this weather you drink in...sweat but your body will hold onto the water due to the heat...I never thought of this...What does everyone think?

5 years ago a mom raccoon was killed (early June) and there were 4 orphaned babies...3 boys (Curly, Larry & Moe) and then 1 little girl (Sally)...the babies were about 4 weeks so we raised them as best as we could so that they could still be wild...anyways when it was August and the all babies left...Sally would come back regardless to eat and would sit beside me sometimes...and eventually she left...the next summer I noticed her feeding and she didn't look well...well that was because she was a mommy to 4 little babies..when the babies were about 6 weeks old Sally brought them to the backyard to eat and teach them raccoon things...and since then Sally comes back every year with her babies...then this year it is well into June and I am worried as the babies should now be with her on her nighttime travels but only Sally keeps coming...but last night she brought the babies to the backyard and she a mom to 5 babies now...that is the most she has ever had...last night I went out and at first she stands on her back legs and growls...and then I just call her 'Sally...it's me...it's okay' and then she sat down and let the babies come over to me...

I have tubs of water all over my backyard for the birds, squirrels and the raccoons...It is so hot for the babies...I don't want them to get sick!

Jo and Clydegirl...when you are looking at scholarships (in Canada Government Loans and Bursaries)...you have the students GPA is there any other criteria...Elisabeth looked at Windsor University which has a dual/joint program with Detroit University...she had to write the LSAT and that gives her the rest of her marks that are required...do your children have to write entrance exams?

Here is to a good weigh in tomorrow!
Old 06-14-2007, 04:32 PM   #284  

Good afternoon! Where are the walkers? I'm soooo weary but I'd go for a quick walk before supper .... Anybody?
Old 06-14-2007, 05:00 PM   #285  
One pound at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
Good afternoon! Where are the walkers? I'm soooo weary but I'd go for a quick walk before supper .... Anybody?
Susan I did my 30 minutes this morning. Had to shower as soon as I stepped in the door it was hot and humid.