Old 05-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #166  

S/C/G: 158/154/130

Height: 5'4"

Neenie, I think your plan sounds like a wonderful idea! I agree, also, with the bit about Germans. I went there this summer and couldn't believe how small the portions of everything were! I guess that's how it should be!! But back to your approach. I did this in high school! Basically dinner is my toughest meal because it's generally the only one that is home-cooked and delicious! So right before I ate I would chug a glass of water. When you do start eating this water becomes absorbed into the food and the food expands to be bigger in your stomach and make you feel fuller. Then when I prepared my plate I made sure I had everything that I wanted to eat before I touched ANYTHING! Eating while preparing gave me an excuse to cheat and put seconds down. Next, I made sure I had a BIG glass of water (preferable really cold because your body burns calories trying to cool it down to your body temperature), and I would take a drink of water between every other bite. This also helps the sponge effect and it forces you to slow down a little. I heard somewhere that it isn't until 20 minutes after we finish a meal that we feel the fullest, so slowing down will allow your body to feel fuller faster! You could also try putting your eating utensils down in between every bite for at least a few seconds, so you don't start shoveling food into your mouth! I guess my biggest suggestion is to be very conscious of everything you're doing while you're eating! Try to stay away from the tv or other things that could serve as distractions during your meals. Hope this helps!

I lost 25 pounds in high school doing this, so I do believe that portion control works! Like you said, this should be longterm and crazy diets never hold for very long.

Congrats on the gym and pilates classes. I've always wanted to take a pilates class, but I'm a little intimidated by them. Maybe some day...
Kristi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #167  
HijabiMommaBear

S/C/G: 335/ticker/316

Height: 5' 8"

id like to join!!
jessica2231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #168  
Here We Go

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'7"

ChouKoe - I'm sure it'll fix itself soon.

Kristi22 - 11 years? I think I would have ripped it out myself! :P As for pilates, maybe you could try pilates at home? Might be easier to go to a class if you try it out on your own first I know Netflix has something with pilates on instant stream.

neenie - I think starting off slowly is an excellent idea! Personally, I think it'll be easier to stick to in the long run.

jessica2231 - Hello!

Not much to report in on. Ordered a study manual for the TEAS V exam. Not taking any classes over the summer, but figured I should get some studying in for that. I did get my exercise in for the day, which is nice. It seems to feel easier this time around, and even a little more fun. I plan on starting 30 Day Shred next Friday. Last time I tried it out, I couldn't do it for long, but I figure if I keep doing it I will eventually be able to get through it.

Last edited by t0rn; 05-25-2012 at 05:48 PM.
t0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #169  

S/C/G: 220/213/199

Height: 5'4''

i've been calorie counting for 8 days and lost 7.2lbs already...i'm eating 1300-1700 calories a day and haven't exercised. it's crazy to think of how many calories i was eating everyday before, upwards of 3000 some days. anyway, i know it'll slow down soon but portion control really is everything i guess!
jayferks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:54 AM   #170  

S/C/G: 157/157/140

Height: 5'7''

Kristi22 You should check out Pilates! I'm sure there are beginner classes or even some videos on youtube you can try with. I just started this week so I know the intimidation feeling but I'm sooo happy I tried it anyway.

Last edited by neenie; 05-26-2012 at 04:36 AM.
neenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #171  

S/C/G: 154/149/130

Height: 5'4"

Ahh I've been away from here for long enough lol. I haven't worked out in.. 4 days. Because my knee hurt every time I went to do something. I'm going to start swimming soon which will help A LOT not much new on my end, my eating habits are slowly slipping, again, cannot wait until my mom can buy groceries at the end of the month I got paid this week which is always a good thing. My stomach got bloated after eating certain foods, like chicken roti. So I'm going to try to eat cleaner now. I might start a low carb diet, because I just realized that I eat so many carbs! I'm just curious as to how a low carb diet would work with me. Tata for now~
spiritualflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:04 PM   #172  
ADL

S/C/G: 175/169/140

Height: 5"7

Hey I just signed up. I have been trying to lose the same 35 lbs for years now but I just keep losing and gaining back the same 10 lbs. This time my husband and I have vowed to just do it. Plow right through and don't stop until we reach goal so we can just be done with it once and for all and stop letting dieting and our weight be a presence in our lives. I am really excited to take this challenge because September is just in time for a lot of Jewish holidays where I will be seeing ALL of my family and friends.
ADL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:40 PM   #173  
Jenn :)

S/C/G: 248/ticker!/148?

Height: 5'11"

Hi everyone!

I'm excited to start this summer challenge. I started my weight loss journey last summer on May 31st at 248 pounds, and have lost about 63 pounds so far. I actually got down to my first goal weight of 178 before exam season hit and.. well, I lost a lot of motivation for diet and exercise and became one of those people full of excuses.

BUT, I'm back on the bandwagon, because I want to get rid of these last 20 pounds, and what better time than now? I ate on plan today, and even did some resistance training, so I'm off to a good start.

Looking forward to being on this summer journey with you ladies, I can use the inspiration! Good luck to everyone!
pinksparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #174  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Ahhhh you guys, I did it!!! 100 lbs lost!!!

I had to step on the scale 8 times to make sure it wasn't playing with me. Now the next 11 should just fall off, right??? I'd been stuck at 168 for like 2 months!!! Woooooohooooooooooooooooo.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #175  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

Congratulations ValRock!!! I know it's been a while for you being just 1 pound away!!! Go you!!!

Hey I just signed up. I hope I'm not too late. I'm not actually a student anymore but in my defense, I love academia and have major student envy and I flirt daily with the idea of going back to school for my PhD. In fact even though I finished grad school 3 years ago, I still think in semesters which is a little sad in the real world, but oh well...

I've put my end date to be the 1st of September since everyone seems like they'll be in school by the first week in September at the latest, I just went with that. I want to lose 12 lbs by then. I'm thinking I have 3 months and if I lose a pound a week, that should be pretty doable and I should be into the 140s by then: Ahhhhhhhh! Okay so here's hoping we all meet our goals! And getting to know everyone on this challenge.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #176  
Here We Go

S/C/G: Ticker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValRock View Post
Ahhhh you guys, I did it!!! 100 lbs lost!!!

I had to step on the scale 8 times to make sure it wasn't playing with me. Now the next 11 should just fall off, right??? I'd been stuck at 168 for like 2 months!!! Woooooohooooooooooooooooo.
Congratulations!!! That's amazing!
t0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #177  

S/C/G: 228/222/160

Congrats ValRock! That's terrific!

As for me, I've had a pretty good few days! More hikes gathering data for my job and yesterday I went to Carnival with my friend in San Fransisco! It was super fun, we walked all around the Mission and ended up going to the Castro too, lots of walking!

On Saturday I went to the farmers market and basically got free lunch eating all the samples of fruits, vegies, and other foods. I almost bought kettle corn but was able to resist, just barley! The funny thing was that the next day at Carnival, they were also selling kettle corn but it didn't seem nearly as tempting because I already knew I could resist buying it!

I'm down three pounds this week and feeling accomplished! =)
Suzll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #178  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

I'll join. I'm going back for my last year of undegrad in September.

My name's Kat, I'm 24 and live in Saskatoon, Canada. I wanna lose 30 lbs by start of the semester. I'm excited to see if I can!
Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #179  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

wow CONGRATS ValRock!!!! You should be so proud that's an amazing accomplishment!!! Good luck on the remaining 11lb!!

Sorry I haven't been around much lately, but I'm trying my best to stay outdoors and enjoy the summer. We all know its no longer fun when winter comes around lol
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #180  
I wanna be so hot that...

S/C/G: 242/188/145ish

Height: 5'4.5

Hi everyone. Im joining the summer challenge too, the names Rachel. I have already lost 33lbs over the last few months. I am looking to lose another 30 lbs over this summer which would put me in about the 180 range. If I can do better than that, well that's great but I don't want to push my self too hard.
celticrae19 is offline   Reply With Quote