The 3 day diet is a diet that lasts for 3 days and claims that you will lose 10 pounds in 3 days by following the strict diet plan. This diet is not a good long-term diet. Most of the weight lost during the 3 days is water weight.
This is a low-calorie diet which has a menu consisting of vegetables, lean meats and fruits. The meals are very low in calories and probably won’t be filling enough. The most calories allowed on the diet per day is around 700 to 900.
The 3 day diet consists of 3 meals a day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The following are the most common meals eaten on the 3 day diet.
- Breakfast: Cup of coffee or black tea, 1/2 grapefruit and 1 piece of toast with 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- Lunch: Cup of black tea or coffee, 1/2 cup tuna, 1 piece of dry toast.
- Dinner: 3 ounces of lean meat, 1 cup green beans, 1 cup of carrots, 1 apple and 1 vanilla cup ice cream
- Breakfast: Black tea or coffee, 1 egg, 1 piece of dry toast and 1/2 banana
- Lunch: 1 cup cottage cheese and 6 crackers
- Dinner: 2 hot dogs, 1 cup broccoli, 1/2 cup carrots, 1/2 banana and 1/2 cup vanilla ice cream
- Breakfast: Black tea or coffee, 1 apple, 1 ounce cheddar cheese and 5 saltine crackers
- Lunch: 1 hard-boiled egg and 1 piece of dry toast
- Dinner: 1 cup tuna, 1 cup carrots, 1 cup cauliflower, 1 cup melon and 1/2 cup of vanilla ice cream
There are substitutions you can make on this diet. Below is a list of the substitutions allowed.
- Orange for grapefruit
- Tuna for the cottage cheese
- Frozen yogurt for the ice cream
- Cauliflower for the broccoli
- Green beans for the cauliflower or the broccoli
- Beets for the carrots
- Toast for the crackers
There are different versions of the meal plans for the 3-day diet. Some of the other plans allow dieters to use seasonings such as lemon pepper, low-sodium soy sauce, mustard, vinegar, ketchup and others to flavor up the food.
What to Get Excited Over
This is a low-calorie diet in which you will probably lose some weight. This diet is easy to follow and inexpensive. You only have to follow it for a brief period of time.
Things to Consider
It is best to be careful when trying fad diets that don’t teach healthy habits. This diet dangerously restricts your calories. While you will lose weight, this weight will be water weight and will come back when you resume your regular eating habits.
This diet is not recommended, as it is unsafe, ineffective, and doesn’t teach the healthy habits that will maintain weight loss. There are always risks with any diet you may try. It is best to talk to your doctor before beginning any diet program, especially one that dangerously restricts your calories.