Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 09:49 AM   #121  

I had WI last night and lost another 1.8!!!!!!! WOO HOO!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2005, 09:52 AM   #122  

Great news, Meredith!!! Hope I can say the same tomorrow night! Good job!

Where are the other early birds, today?

Well, not much to report. I’m sore because GYM beat me up last night, but that is good. I’ll probably go back for a while tonight. A friend is a member of the Y and invites me as a guest sometimes, since the membership isn’t in the budget for a few months. Though, this is the third trip in a week and I’m starting to feel a little guilty. I need to make sure they are okay with this. I don’t wanna be a thief!

Day 2 of DH’s new job. So far, he likes it okay and will get on the shift and crew that he wanted. But, this company is so weird. When he finishes training (probably Monday), he will start on the 4Star shift. For 6 weeks, he will work M, T, W 7p-7a. Then, he switches to Th, F, S 7a-7p. After 6 weeks, he’s a night owl again. I don’t know how people do this! Change from days to nights every 6 weeks and rearrange their lives! But, I know this company has been doing it for at 10 years, so maybe they know better than me. But, geez!

I’m really dreading this. In addition to the 3 days a week, they have mandatory overtime, and he will sign up for OT so we can get out of debt ASAP and maybe he can look for something with better hours. Unfortunately, this is one of the best places to work in our area. So, we will do what we must do. But, starting Monday, I will get home at 5p. Cook dinner real fast so we can eat by 6. I will pack up leftovers and send him out the door at 6:30. Only 1 ½ hours together a day! Ick! Not happy! We will just have to make the most of his times off. And, I will have to lock up the cookies and ice cream when he leaves for work!

So, that’s my sad story of the day.

Hey, Frisky – Cherri says hi! She just finished her light bagel w/ ff cream cheese and is proud of her achy muscles caused by a good workout last night. My goodness, she was proud of herself when she tried on that swimsuit she wanted to wear last summer and now it was too big!
Old 02-01-2005, 12:55 PM   #123  

Hi there girlies. I'm back.

I feel much better today - well as good as you are able to feel under the circumstances. We went to granny's apartment today to do a bit of a clear out. I got a little box with some keepsakes in. There wasn't alot piled high in her place for 81 years worth. The memorial and cremation aren't until 2/10 so quite a wait (a bit of a backlog apparantly) so we are in limbo for the time being. Until then, You got my undivided attention.

Ok, my diva has been born. I'm pretty sure she wasn't lurking in the background before, but at least she's here to help out now. Her name is Tiggy Falls. She's done good today, I've eaten fruit etc and so far am within points for the day. She made me avoid those biscuits which I've been 'scoffing' for the last few days and 'encouraged' me to have the better alternatives instead. I'm proud of her.

Melanie, you will notice my 'ramblings' are back. Can't keep away for long you see. Congrats on the swimsuit, isn't it just great when that happens, especially with swimwear of all things. Great NSV! Glad DH is happy with his new job. I'm sure it will be pretty tough to get used to the new routine, for both of you. It will be worth it in the end. My step-daughters fiance is a policeman and works 3 night shifts, 3 day shifts and then gets 4 days off. That seems a tall order all in one week (or more really) especially considering they have little baby Ella keeping them awake at all hours. Sorry, its not funny, I'm trying not to laugh, I've been there and done that, but my Step-daughter is always telling us how well she's coping and all the 'big' things she's intending doing over the next few months. Anyway, what was I talking about? Oh yeah, Melanie, I do think you are doing very well going to the gym! I know its only a short term thing at the moment, but even so, those achy muscles must mean you are doing something right! (or wrong as the case may be!) Take it easy, don't go too mad too soon, and you will be fine, running marathons before you know it!

Meredith, good news on your loss this week. Keep it up. I also have no idea how you stay away from those scales. I am like Linda and visit mine sometimes several times per day.

Linda, I like Frisky. I think she's doing you good, hope WI went well, speak soon.

My WI is tomorrow, I will still go despite the last few bad days. Got to see the damage before I can put it right.

Oh well, gotta go now, Tiggy is calling me to the fruit bowl again... See you later.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:46 PM   #124  

Hey girls.

Dawny, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I hope she rests in peace and isn't suffering any more. I'm thinking of you, take care of yourself.

Linda, glad you're enjoying your new house guest, the inner diva of yours! I hope she helps you make good food choices, she does sound a bit bossy!!

Melanie, I hope you DH adjusts well to the job and keep up the good work with the gym!!! It does a world of good, and that's coming from someone who doesn't exercise. Oh well....

Meredith- Great loss!!! Good for you girl, keep it up!

As for me, i'm struggling this week. I'm trying to eat as healthily as can be but my appointments with doctors don't help at all. I went to the neurologist yesterday, he did some tests on me, and concluded that I should get a brain scan. I was really depressed and I had to fight back the tears when I got out of there, I'm really scared something is really wrong with me. He said I may have some balance problem. I don't know, I'm dreading the scan... And he also gave me pills, 3 times a day, to help give more oxygen to my brain or something. I get dizzy easily so thay should help. I'm really scared, have I mentioned this? Anyway, TOM came today as well, at least I'm not fainting again! Well, sorry for the ramble girls, I'll keep you posted.

Take care!!!
Old 02-01-2005, 01:57 PM   #125  

Oh Natalie.... I hope everything is ok!!!! That would make it a very difficult week having to deal with all of that!!!
Old 02-01-2005, 03:05 PM   #126  

Oh, my! Natalie. So sorry you have to deal with all this! Of course, you shouldn’t worry yourself into a fright either. A lot of times they do a bunch of tests and it turns out to be nothing. Please just try to take it a day at a time and don’t try to guess at the end result. When is the scan going to be done? Is it what we call CAT scan? If so, I had that done in Jr. High and it wasn’t bad at all. Just scary if you think about it. They checked for a brain and found nothing. I’ll keep praying for you. Take care.

Dawny – I’m sorry to hear that you have to wait for the service. But, it sounds like you are coping well. Great NSV on the biscuits (aka cookies?) Geez! Here I was complaining about 6 weeks of nights! I can’t imagine switching during the same week! I would not function properly; and noone would want me to carry a gun! I hope you and Tiggy have a good WI!

Well, I think I will go again to the Y tonight. Probably the last time this week because I need to spend some evenings home with DH before he starts the night shift next week. Considering yesterday’s workout, I think I will spend some time on the treadmill and then play in the pool. That counts as exercise, right?
Old 02-01-2005, 07:37 PM   #127  

Quick post from me.... a very busy day. Will catch up on all the reading tomorrow afternoon, I guess.
I lost .6 at my weigh in, not great but at least it was a loss!!!
Linda
Old 02-02-2005, 07:24 AM   #128  

Red face Wednesday morning, tough times, but we can get through them

Hi guys!
Melanie, thanks for your ideas on the heart shaped box thing, might work out. I'm going to start scouting out heart shaped things that would "fill the bill". I hope things straighten out of you financially, and that you can join the Y, that would be nice.
I have seen the WW oatmeal at meetings, but I think it's ridiculously overpriced. Just my humble opinion. I have heard it's good, though. I won't buy it, I think it's something like $7.00 a box, wonder how many packets are in the box? I can buy non-flavored Quaker Oats instant packs for probably less than half that price, I could add extracts to get different flavors and Splenda and save tons of money if I wanted flavored oatmeal. Actually, I like the healthy taste of plain oatmeal anyway.
Melanie, I am worrying about you.... you seem to be taking on so very much at your church. I know it's a good thing and I know you love it, but be careful not to burn yourself out. That happened to me with church and volunteer work, I do still take on things, but have learned to balance it all in my head, a bit, before I say yes all the time. Be careful please. Sometimes doing one or two things really well is better than doing everything, if that makes sense?
Welcome Robin, glad you are trying. I think you are making a wise choice to try WW. Try to get to some meetings, though, as I think we all would agree that group support is very important. Of course, we are a group too, but there is nothing like getting weighed in front of a stranger every week, believe me! So self motivating, it is, the day or two before your weigh in as you are so much less inclined to accept temptation into your life!
Meredith, great job on your weigh in! You are very disciplined if you can only weigh in once a week, I'm just terrible with the scale. But, I don't think my scale addiction affects my success, or lack thereof, it's just a different "compulsion" - maybe even a vice? Well, better than cigarettes or something like that, I guess!
Interesting shift your DH will be on, Melanie. Maybe this company finds that if they pay well enough and people don't HAVE to work the night shift all the time, they are more willing to take turns? I hope it works out.
My DH is so sad right now. He hates his job, he hates his boss and is about ready to quit. I hate seeing him this unhappy, but I am so fearful that if he quits he might not be able to find something else right away and we'd go "down the tubes". But, he is in "purgatory" when he is at work and it is so wrong. I am thinking of getting something part time to help our finances along, if he does quit then we'll have something at least. I am already thinking hard about ways to cut down on expenses in case this happens. I may have to quit going to WW, as between Jamie and I going to meetings, we spend $22.00 a week on that, plus I buy 2 points bars and fruities (which I love) and they are costly. I need to figure out all of this. I need a plan, as with a plan I can be less worried and less emotional. So far this has not affected my eating, at least this week, but I don't know if it will.
Frisky says hi to you, too, Cherri. Frisky is holding her own emotionally, while Linda is very fearful. Frisky keeps telling Linda, it will be OK... it will be ok, it really will work out, no matter what.
Dawny, hope the mementos you took from your Granny's apartment will help you to recall what a lovely person she was. I'm so sorry.
Glad you are back with us for awhile and maybe it's better that the memorial isn't for a little while so you will have a bit of healing time. Sometimes, I think services ought to be a bit delayed to let people get used to the shock of a loss, though you guys were not necessarily shocked that she went, but you know what I mean about an unexpected death? The services can be very difficult, though can give closure. But, maybe just waiting a few weeks to gather strength and get used to it all might be better?
At any rate, back to some fun stuff.... Tiggy Falls is a great name! Wow!
Good luck with your weigh in Dawny, if you gained don't worry, it will come off later. I would be doing my share of emotional eating as well. Time for healing and don't create additional worries for yourself.
Natalie, it's been so long since we heard from you. Here is a HUGE HUG <---> can you feel it all the way over there? I hope these tests come out ok. I could tell you not to worry, but I worry about everything and I know you are too. Just hang in, take care of yourself and try to think positive thoughts. When are these tests? When will you know more? Keep in touch, keep busy! Watch very funny movies! Stay around other people so you don't have time to be alone and get scared.
Now, a quick update from me. Yes, I lost .6 at my weigh in, I think it would have been better results, but I weighed in at an afternoon vs. a morning meeting. I had a doctor's appointment in the morning regarding my arthritis. I'm pretty disappointed that there is virtually nothing they can do for me as my arthritis is Osteo vs. Rheumatoid. Rheumatoid is more serious, though, so maybe I am lucky I don't have it?
At any rate, Frisky has been a bit quiet, but I have been a "good girl". I think my DH's work problems are weighing heavily upon me right now and it's hard to be as perky and fun because of this. I hope he finds another job soon. He did have an interview a week and a half ago (think I mentioned this) and we've heard nothing other than they are seeing other people, but are very interested in him.
Well, on to face my day. Hang in there everyone!
So glad that some of our lurkers and newcomers are posting!
Linda
Old 02-02-2005, 11:47 AM   #129  

Hi there, thought I'd pop in before I have to go and face WI. It may not be as bad as I initially thought, maybe a maintain perhaps. I think the last couple of days I have been watching more what I've let pass my lips and it must have evened things out a bit.

Natalie, this is going to be a tough time for you, probably as much psychologically as physically. The thing with these scans is that they are not just checking for the awful things that we don't really like to think about, but all sorts of other problems that just can't be spotted any other way (like Melanie's brain - sorry!lol) Like the others have already said, try not to dwell on it too much until you go for your appointment, keep yourself busy and get on with life. Whatever they find, better to know and get it treated anyway, than live in ignorance and be suffering.

Melanie, just get swimming! Play does count I think though! Have a great time and spend some much needed time with DH before those long nights arrive. Also, ditto what Linda said about your commitments. I was thinking this the other day that you seem to take so much on. I can imagine that you may even take on more when DH gets into his new night shift routine, just to pass the time. Be careful though, we don't want you to make yourself poorly.

Linda, hi, thanks for the lovely words about my Granny. It is really nice to have a few little belongings of hers scattered around. They still have her smell, which is strange. I think I, too, am now pleased about the wait for the funeral. I definitely feel that with each day that passes I am getting my head around things, and now everything for the day is completely organised, we can just turn up on the day and get on with it. We have had a terrible job organising getting rid of her old furniture though. Nobody wants it, which is a shame. The family have shared out some of the stuff, but the rest is quite dated, although in good condition, and even the charities don't want to fetch it to sell for a good cause. It will end up getting scrapped which is a big shame, but as we have to hand over her keys by monday, there isn't a lot we can do now, in the short amount of time we have left.
Well done on your loss this week, Linda, by the way. .6 is quite a respectable figure, and going in the right direction. Tiggy tells me that Frisky is doing an awsome job, yet I feel Tiggy does need to buck her ideas up a bit, and although she's doing quite well with some things, she does need to recognise the fact that AJ's leftovers are banned as well - something she hasn't figured out yet!

Whether or not I get a loss this week remains to be seen, but a new skirt I just bought for the funeral is a size 10. The first one ever to hang in my wardrobe - EVER.
I am chuffed. I don't know what our size 10 is in US sizes, but I am pleased anyway. To say that my losses have been very few and far between recently, it goes to prove that the body does keep changing anyway. I'm not going to argue with that! Who needs scales when the clothes sizes keep going down? The thing is, we don't really see many clothes below a 10 here. Some stores do 8 in adult sizes but thats about it, so I mustn't go too thin huh? As if! There is no way I could ever go too thin, I'm just not made that way.

Anyway, waffle over, I'll go and get AJ's tea ready, and I'll see ya later.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:13 PM   #130  

Hello all. Today’s been a good day (even with the dreaded yearly doctor’s visit). I’m starting to get my mind around DH’s new schedule and the changes it will call for and got some good sleep last night/this morning. One thing I like about the yearly visits is it gives me a chance to sleep in a bit!

Thanks for the concerns on my over-doing. I know I have a tendency to do that. One of the reasons I’m adding things is because other people have dropped some things due to them over doing! Looks like I would learn. One of the main reasons is that I would rather being doing the volunteer work than my “real” job right now. That’s where my passion is. Often at my desk I’m thinking of skit ideas or decorating ideas, and that’s just not fair. Oh, well. One day, Good Lord willin’, that will be my full-time occupation. Until then, I promise to try to prioritize and take a break now and then. I’m in the process of getting out of the kid’s club and into youth (teens), so while it is a bit doubled up at the moment, this summer I will drop the kid’s club all together.

Aw, Linda – I hate to hear that DH is still having trouble at work. I hope he gets another offer soon. Also hate to hear that you might have to drop WW meetings. I completely understand the expense problem though. That’s why I’m not attending meetings, and there’s just one of me! Maybe soon you can qualify to be a leader and won’t have to pay? Or maybe there is an opening you can get as receptionist or assistant? That would be a part-time job and keeping the meetings! Either way, I hope you find someone else to meet with. If you can get together with a group of friends once a week to WI and exchange recipes, that would be good accountability for you. It is something some friends and I considered before the group started at church. And, great WI!! Especially for going to an evening meeting!

Dawny – Just a thought… Have you called any churches about the furniture? I know we are constantly looking for items for the youth department, and we aren’t very picky! And, when I worked at the youth center, we needed sofas and things then too. Good luck resisting the leftovers!

I have no prediction as to what my WI will show. I will either maintain or drop a little. Either way, I think tomorrow I will start on 22 pts. I’m within spittin’ distance, so I might as well make the plunge! Eek! And I’m just getting used to 24 after the holiday glutton fest!

Well, I’ll report in tomorrow!
Old 02-02-2005, 05:29 PM   #131  

Talking Hi

I'm not new to the website, but I am new to this thread......I started WW on 01/10/05. I train with a Fitness Trainer 4 days a week, and in between days I walk 2 miles on the treadmill (except Sundays)....I hope to get to know some of you and share your in your success...

Have a good one!
Old 02-03-2005, 08:31 AM   #132  

Hi everyone, hope you are all having a good day!

Melanie, HI, yeah, we have tried the local church,most of the stuff, wardrobes etc are no use to them, and the sofas and chairs aren't fire resistent, so are illegal to pass on. They are old, very good quality and in great condition but the only place they will take them is the dump! Everything else we will deliver to one of the local childrens charity shops, and if it just turns up on their doorstep they can't turn it away, can they? Glad you are also thinking of 'downsizing' your activities a bit too. I know that's where your heart truly lies, and who wouldn't rather follow their heart rather than sitting at a busy desk all day, but for the time being at least, just be settled and enjoy whatever life has to throw at you. Hope you had a good WI. Take care.

Welcome to you 'Abirdee' on our little thread. You have made a good start with WW, stick with it and you will be getting your 10% in no time. I do think it will help alot because you are really stuck in with the exercise. Good luck with that. We all have great intentions and rarely stick with them, if you need any help with the 'sticking' part, just shout, we're always around here somewhere.

Oh, nearly forgot, I went to WI last night, and I stayed the same. I think thats quite an achievement considering the amount of comfort food thats gone in the past week, so this week, starting this morning, I am going to concentrate full on on the programme and do my best to get a good loss next week. I will be back at work tomorrow (took a few days off after granny!) so while I make the most of a day to myself,(AJ is at nursery), I think I will get the exercise video out and get sweating for a while. See you later.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:25 AM   #133  

Good Morning! Great WI, Dawy! Staying the same is definitely a blessing when you are stressed, deprived of sleep, and comfort eating! Hope your workout goes well.

Welcome, Abirdee! 9# down is excellent! Looks like you are doing well and I’m glad you’re joining us.

Results of my WI…………. 2# down! It still amazes me to see the scale. I was on the treadmill at the Y last week for the first time in a while. When I was entering my weight, I settled my finger on the up button, as always. But, when it got to 200, I jumped and realized I’m much less than that now!! I had forgotten! That was fun.

But, now, I’m at 175.2. According to the chart, at 175, I go down to 22 points. But, I’m thinking maybe I should wait at least one more week. Considering I had a 2# loss, maybe my body isn’t ready for less points, and doesn’t seem to need it. Any input? This is when I wish I was attending WW meetings so I could ask the leader!

Well, bragging time is over. Gotta get to work. I’m leaving for a few hours in the middle of the day because my boss is allowing me and a co-worker to attend a funeral in a neighboring town. A legal sec. at another office lost her husband. They are so young and she is 3 months pregnant. It was a drunk driver. Makes me furious! It will be a sad day.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:48 AM   #134  

Red face

Good Morning Ladies,

I hope everyone is having a BLESSED day! Once again I'm glad to be a part of your circle and everyone has had such great success....My weigh in is tomorrow and I'm hoping for 2-3lbs down . Question: I drink a gallon of water everyday, can you ever drink to much water?
Old 02-03-2005, 09:57 AM   #135  

Well, I have heard stories about drowning from too much water intake, but I myself have never had that fear! I keep a cup on my desk all day at work and still only get in around the minimum! But, I cut out sodas Monday – Wednesday and rarely keep them in the house. Just Crystal Lite and water for me at home. Good luck with WI! Hope your work shows up on the scale!

Have you done WW before? Are you finding the plan easy to stick with? I know I have only felt deprived once or twice on the FP plan. I had to pass on the Blizzard from DQ the other night, but was well satisfied with my soft serve & strawberries. I think it’s fun to find ways of getting what I want in a healthier way!
Closed Thread