Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 06:49 AM   #151  

Question Day of reconning, weigh in day

Dawny, I didn't watch all of the superbowl either, but did watch long enough to see Paul McCartney and a few of the really cool commercials, which is more my thing. I still can't bring myself to understand football, no matter how many times it's been explained to me.
I pigged out too, though. I'm feeling awfully remorseful today. Yesterday, was my quilt guild's luncheon and we all brought soups and salads and share and work together on making quilts for children with cancer. I pigged out again. I even had banana cream pie and a chocolate chip cookie, now what was I thinking?????? Lost touch with my inner diva Frisky, for sure. Time to find out where she was.
I feel so badly today, as up until the weekend, I had been doing REALLY well. Now, I blew it. Ah yes, back to the clean slate again.
Today is weigh in day and I figure I probably gained back my loss of last week. How many times do I need to do this? Feeling a bit blue about it, to be honest today. But, I knew what I was doing when I ate and felt no guilt then, why? I guess I am feeling deprived and sorry for myself. I see so many other people eating all the foods I want to have and are "forbidden" and I just decided that I needed a break. I need to figure out some things about what my life will have to be like and what I can and can't do in order to be like everyone else. Seems like so many people I know are of a reasonable weight, yet I see them eating all the foods I don't seem to be able to handle. Do you all feel that way?
Melanie, that would have been a good choice for a restaurant, on Saturday night, but the problem that existed was that I was not the ONLY person who came along and I got "vetoed" and we ended up at another place where my choices were not healthy. I was kind of upset with my family on Sat. night as I had been most clear that I "needed" to find a place where I could get a healthier meal. I wonder if, next weekend, I just should plan to eat at home all weekend and refuse to join them in eating out? It's our family tradition to dine out on Saturday evenings, but I just can't go on like this and keep "blowing it". It seems to trigger a binge each weekend and then I don't lose. I thought I made it clear to them all that I needed to be at a place where there were healthier choices, but it didn't work out that way at all.
I'm so sorry about your car, Melanie. These things seem to always hit us when we think we are getting ahead a bit, don't they? I hope it's not as bad as you think.
Abirdee, you too? Well, it's all what they say is "water under the bridge". Wonder why it is that a big game like this makes people feel compelled to eat, like we are "supposed" to eat? I had wine, quesidias (sp?), nachos, cheese and crackers and stuffed grape leaves. I know I made the wrong choices. I felt like it was part of the event and we "needed" this kind of food. AND, I was the one who prepared and presented them.... so what was that all about? Hmmm.... especially when I am not even a football fan. Well, maybe I learned a lesson about next year? Maybe next year, I will barricade myself in my sewing room with salad and not watch the superbowl?
I am not in a yogurt mood, lately, Melanie. The brands that are lower in points just don't seem good enough to waste points on, I get only 20 points a day and it's so hard to find a balance and be able to fit in the things I truly want to eat or think are good for me.
The average "decent" yogurt that I like is 3 points, and for a "snack" or with breakfast, that really throws off my day. I know I need the calcium, so I take a mulitvitamin and calcium supplements. I eat other things as well, but the yogurt just seems to add so many points and not really fill me up or satisfy me. I do like the whipped key lime and orange yogurt that Yoplait makes, think that is theirs? Also, do you guys get Stoneyfield Farms yogurt? They are really quite good and they add fiber to their smaller sized yogurts that are low in fat, so they can be 2 points, they make a chocolate yogurt!
However, tomorrow is the first day of Lent, Ash Wednesday, and as promised (gulp) I begin giving up chocolate for Lent. I hope I can do it. I think it is truly an addiction and I wonder if I will almost go through "withdrawal" for a few days? I'm going to start keeping a running tally each day of what chocolate items I would have eaten and the cost and when Lent is over with, the total will be sent to Tsunami relief!
I am shopping today and must find a few treats that are non-chocolate so I can feel "rewarded". Maybe it is time to try out some yogurts? We'll see.
Well, on to face my day and I will not be happy weighing in at all today, but one must take responsibility for one's actions. Today, I started a new journal with all 35 flex points and I smiled as I wrote in my 2 point bran muffin, thinking that it's truly the clean slate time!
Old 02-08-2005, 07:08 AM   #152  

Well last night was my WI, and I lost 3.8 pounds!!!! So what did I do to celebrate? Went totally off program!!! But it was GOOD. So here I am, drinking my LARGE mug of water like a good girl!!
Old 02-08-2005, 08:22 AM   #153  

Hello evryone! Hope you're feeling well.

mom2pittcrew- What an amazing loss girl!! It's ok that you've cheated, I'm sure I'd do the same after such a fantastic loss! You go girl!!

Linda- I'm sorry that you binged, I did the same yestersay, in fact i've binged for 3 days in a row... It sucks, I know it isn't good for me, it's not good for you it's not good for anyone. Clean slate today it is, I just had lunch and am determined to stick to my points. I don't wanna undo the good work from last week. I know you can do it, although it seems giving up choc is gonna be hard for you! I'm sure you'll find some nice alternatives, just think of all the good you'll do to your body without chocolate. And the money for Tsunami relief will make you feel good too. You really are an amazing person Linda, I'm certain you'll succeed!!

I'm probably gonna have a light yoghurt as my afternoon snack. We don't have the same brands here that you guys do, I'm enjoying "Harmony" a greek brand and I've only tried 2 flavours: lemon and muesli which is yoghurt with apple pieces, nuts, and cereal. They really are delicious and only 2 points each. I'm nota fan of yoghurt but these two are great and they help my sweet tooth.

So, today is a new day and I'm sure we can support each other and make this work. I have my cat scan on Thursday but I'm determined not to let that lead me to comfort eating. I'll let you know how it goes, hopefully all good news.

Take care girls and post regularly to kick each other's butt! We HAVE to do it, we have more power than we know of!!
Old 02-08-2005, 10:03 AM   #154  

Good Morning, ladies!

Well, I survived the first night shift without DH. Geez, that house was quiet when I went to bed! But I did 2 mi. walk aerobics and got caught up on my Bible Study. Did all the laundry, prepped tonight’s dinner, cleaned the kitchen, … can you tell I was avoiding something? At least it will make me healthier with a clean home! And, I know I will get used to it. I told someone this morning, it seems like before we were married – he lives at the house, but we don’t sleep together!

Still no news on the car, but I should find out something today. Today and tomorrow seem like they will be good days for me to walk, but Thursday, they predict a drop in temps and snow flurries. I might have to be confined to the office on that day. I really like going home on my lunch breaks though. I have warm, healthy leftovers that save money and its good just to get away for a bit.

Linda – I wouldn’t stress too much about the splurge. As you said, Frisky is back today and it’s time to start fresh. I firmly believe a little “treat” is warranted every now and then. As long as the “just this once” is really “just this once”. I’m sure the scale won’t be as bad as you expect! As for the restaurants, I would be highly ticked! DH and me always try to compromise. He can order whatever he wants, but I want to go somewhere with SOMETHING healthy on the menu. Even if it wasn’t WW related, I think it was rude to not let you have a say in where you go to dinner. I don’t expect them to put a crown on your head and let you dictate every week, but they should compromise. If your DH didn’t like Italian, I’m sure you wouldn’t force him to go to a place that just serves Italian food. They need to see that this is the same thing. That’s my 2 cents, for what it’s worth. :P

Natalie – That Muesli sounds delish! No, we don’t have anything like that here. I don’t have the yummy brand Linda suggested either. Bummer. We have different colors of glop with hints of fruit. I’ll be praying about your CAT. I know you are dreading it, but I hope they find something if there is something there to find! You know what I mean. I hope this will be the last test you will have to endure before they declare you perfect! Great news that you are back on track! It’s hard after a splurge. I read something last night that I found inspirational enough to highlight. It was something like, The thing you desire is more powerful than what is holding you back. Meaning, if we keep our eye on the goal, we can overcome any obstacle (or cake) that falls in our path. Even on Super Bowl Sunday. Because we are strong, ferocious women on a mission!!!

Meredith – Great WI!!! Sip some water for me. I’m still on the caffeine to finish waking up this morning

Let’s all send love vibes and prayers to Dawny. I know she is very busy preparing for tomorrow’s memorial service. WE LOVE YOU DAWNY!
Old 02-08-2005, 02:06 PM   #155  

Just ran my own version of a triathalon. (1) power walk home (2) get dinner in crockpot (3) eat lunch and back to the finish line. Whew! Had to lose the coat before I got back in the office! Enjoyed it though!
Old 02-08-2005, 03:09 PM   #156  

Melanie, with this extra walking at lunchtime, the weight is going to be falling off you! Wow!
Glad you kept busy your first night alone, it will get easier and feel less "funny" after awhile. I know you want him home, but it's not going to be as bad after you get used to it. I am seldom home alone in the evenings, but when I am I have actually enjoyed being my own boss. One thing that is pleasing is to have the TV remote to myself for a change!
You are right that I need to assert myself more in terms of what or where we eat on the weekends, it's not fair that I have been sabotaged. This weekend, it's going to be healthy eating or not at all for me!
Natalie, I'll be praying for you too with the CAT scan, keep us posted. That one kind of yogurt with apples in it does sound good. I bought some yogurt and a few other things to "amuse" me when I start giving up chocolate. I'm actually looking forward to it, in a way. Valentines day will be the hardest, I think. Plus, on the 16th and the 18th (mine) we have two family birthdays, surely chocolate will be an issue with cakes and whatnot. I'll have to think of a treat that is good otherwise.
Well, I was truly surprised that I weighed in this morning with a loss of .2, not a huge amount, but at least it was a loss. If I lost .2 every week, I'd eventually reach goal, but it sure would be nicer to lose more than that.
Still felling kind of defeated today, but I do go through that now and then.
Linda
Old 02-08-2005, 04:11 PM   #157  

Three cheers for Linda!! I know it didn't seem like too much of a victory, but, considering the splurges, that .2 was great! And, cheers for the 13 you have lost! And the great day you are having today! I know we all have down days. I was much larger in the mirror last night than the person I saw today. We are moody women. But, I know you are determined to meet goal. And you can do it!! Where the heck is Frisky???? I suspect she is about to kick your bottom! After all, divas demand the respect they deserve because they are worth it, Darling!
Old 02-08-2005, 04:25 PM   #158  

Hi girlies. Just a quick message from me tonight. I got the 'order of service' thingys done finally, they have gone off ready for Thursday morning. I just want to get the service over and done with now - its gone on too long for me now.

Yoghurts - love them. We have loads of brands here, none of the ones above, or maybe Yoplait, although unsure which ones are theirs. I have found some new ones, Sveltesse, and only 1 point each, although the lemon cheesecake is 1.5. They are thick full of fruit and not at all 'gloopy'. Yummy. I usually have at least one per day.

Linda, glad your scales went down instead of up, that frisky really is doing her job, even when you feel she's lost the plot.

Melanie, pleased you made it through the night shift in one piece, more than I did. I may have it again this weekend, DH may have to cover for sickness again, thankfully not a regular thing though.

Gotta go for now, thinking of you all, Hi Nat, hope your Thursday goes ok! OH, and well done Meredith, what a great loss!

By the way, glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like football! (American or English soccer!) See ya later.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:39 PM   #159  

You said I lost 13 pounds and it reminded me to go change my "counter" as it is back down to 14, a total of 148 now.... I'm STILL not where I was around Thanksgiving, but am better bit by bit. Holidays are really hard.
I'm feeling a bit less down, but not my usual self. You are right, we all are moody women. I guess that might have something to do with our weight issues? I wonder if those "thin people" (don't you all hate them?) are just not moody? I sometimes feel (maybe it's hormones?) that I am on a roller coaster and my eating is dictated. Even the "highs" in terms of feeling happy and positive make me eat, but that is more the happy and social eating vs. the I need to make myself feel better eating.
I've been having an interesting thought process about Valentines day and how it really ought not to be all about candy, especially chocolate. I might do a few "festive" things here at the house. I might bake hear shaped corn muffins, I've got a heart shaped muffin pan somewhere, I think. I think it might be fun to light some red candles and do some other silly things? I'm glad that Valentines is NOT a weekend day and maybe it will be easier to not think about candy/chocolate as much, as we'll all have our usual weekday routines.
I just had a very early dinner, I am taking Jamie to her ww meeting and then we have another meeting (a fundraister) to attend afterwards. I'm not used to eating this early, but we just won't have time later in between meetings. I ordered "take out" from a local pizza place and it's usually awfully hard to resist pizza or french fries. I am just SO sick of salads, though. Are you guys sick of salad? I just don't want it for awhile, will have to think of some other things that are equally healthy, but not salad.
I had a pita (Cyrian bread) bread sandwich with turkey, lettuce and tomato and very lite mayo, it was good and refreshing and very different from my usual. It was awfully big (and I ordered a small) so I did a huge NSV and put half of it in the refrigerator for tomorrow. I'm proud of myself for that as well, Frisky must be coming back a bit? I hope so, she is just SO amazing and makes the best of choices.
My son is very sick, by the way, I think he's go the flu, he's been sniffling and coughing and feeling just awful - home from school the last two days. I hope he gets to go back to school tomorrow, we'll see. I hope the rest of us don't get this, it's really nasty.
Well, off I go to sit for HOURS in meetings.
Linda
Old 02-08-2005, 04:43 PM   #160  

Dawny, we posted at the same time again!
Hi!
I will be thinking of you with this service coming up. You'll feel much better when it's over with! Take care and we'll be thinking of you.
Interesting how things like yogurt all have such differences around the world. I used to live in New York for awhile and there were many differences, though we were only about a 4 hour ride from here. It's surprising how many regional differences there are in foods.
Linda
Old 02-09-2005, 06:52 AM   #161  

HI there, do you know, I feel rubbish this morning. I have these awful pains around my middle, just under my rib cage. I've had it for a couple of weeks on and off, and I wondered if it could just be anxiety? Normally if I'm stressed out, I get very tight in the throat, not usually this. Of course, and I comfort eat. Linda, I was thinking about the same sort of thing as you this morning, that thin people don't seem to get the same sort of problems as us, and then, if they do, they don't comfort eat. They usually go the other way and say 'I just can't face a thing!', if only we could go down that route once in a while, then I reckon that most of our troubles would be over once and for all!

I just want to say a huge 'yay' for girl power too. I hope you heard about Ellen MacArthur's round the world amazing achievement yesterday. Single handed, in a boat in record time if you didn't. She's from my area and her uncle was one of my granny's doctors. Sometimes we just have to have a goal in mind and go for it. We need to be reminded of this goal sometimes to keep going, Ellen did this and against the odds beat a world record. We can do it too.

Anyway, gotta go, I might have pitta for lunch too, I just Lurrrrve them at the moment. I will probably have a bit of salad inside with a bit of wafer thin ham. Not so much salad though. I too, am just about fed up to the back teeth of it. Roll on summer when we can't get enough of the stuff.

Back later.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:05 AM   #162  

Hope you are feeling better Dawny, poor thing! I'll just bet it's stress, you've been through a rough couple of weeks. Try to do some deep breathing and maybe take a hot bath?
Guess what, I had salad with dinnner AGAIN last night? What am I, a rabbit? Time for some new options! We had ravioli last night (I found a brand that allowed me 9 for 4 points, not bad!) and salad just seems to go with it, it really wasn't all that bad as it seems to always go well with pasta. Tonight, though, I fancy a more "comfort" food kind of dinner as we are supposed to get another foot+ of snow today.
I wish I had some really great stuff in my freezer, but nothing appeals. Guess it's time to search through my cook books and try something new.
Maybe I should make chili? Hot and spicy! My inner diva Frisky likes her life spicy, and she's been really quiet these last few days, time for her to come back.
Well, not much else going on here today, but I plan on a full workout and to eat right!
Linda/Frisky
Old 02-10-2005, 10:44 AM   #163  

Just a short one from me today. Just got back from the memorial service. It went well, and was nice - well as nice as these things can be anyway. I think I feel a little better now its over with, but healing takes time. I'll be fine.

WI last night was good though, on a brighter note, 2# down. That leaves just 3 pounds to goal. Of course, that could well take another 3 months to achieve, but at least I'm on track. My WW leader though announced last night that next week will be her last as she's moving away, so a sad time for us, hopefully the new lady will be as inspiring as the current one and see me through to goal - along with all of you of course.

Anyway, I'll go for now, I'd like to thankyou all once again for all the lovely prayers you have sent me over the past few weeks, they have been warmly received, and now it is time for me to move on and get into stage two, getting on with my (and my family's) life. See you all soon. Take care.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:45 AM   #164  

By the way, the HUGE portion of chocolate cake with fresh cream inside at the 'wake' helped a great deal!
Old 02-10-2005, 12:04 PM   #165  

Hello. Gonna try to make this short today. Kinda feel out of sorts. I stayed home from church last night. The changes in our household and not sleeping as well (getting used to no DH) has started taking its toll. I was bummed out, no weight loss, knee hurting, tired, and frazzled from getting dinner ready before DH left. So, I stayed in and got much needed rest. Today, I will go down to 22 points. I know that last week’s lack of loss was partly due to FIL’s apple pie and other poor choices I’ve made this week, even though I stayed within points. But, I’m close enough to 174, that I think it would help. It’s going to take a while for me to get used to 2 points less, but I always adjust. Just going to have to be more creative to get in my afternoon snack and dessert!

Linda – I understand about the salad! How about green beans or broccoli with pasta? I had French cut green beans with my lasagna a few nights ago. Yum.

Dawny – Glad things are going well. Hope you enjoyed part of that cake for me too! Great WI, too!! Wow – just 3# to go!! Great work!

One last thing… my car repairs have climbed to $1400. We will have to borrow a bit from FIL, but we have most of it in savings. Good thing DH has the new job. It will take us about 6 months to fully recover, but I’m going to squeeze the budget tonight and see what gives.

TTFN!
Closed Thread