Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 02:33 PM   #106  

Hey... I don't know if this has been discussed yet when they first came out, but you know those 100 calorie snack things? They have Chips Ahoy, Oreo,Cheese Nips, and a few other snack crackers. Well, they are only 2 points for one bag and I LOVE them!!!!! I bought a Chips Ahoy one, and it helped tremendously. I didn't feel bad about eating them, and I didn't feel like I was being deprived, either.

So I now have Oreo in my cupboard. I'm lovin' them.

So you probably already talked about that little find already somewhere, but just thought I would talk about it!

I have WI tomorrow night and can't wait to see what happens. I am SUCH a freak with keep track of everything, and I love to come back here and change my ticker, change my sig, etc. I just hope I am not changing in the opposite direction. I shouldn't be... but you just never know.

Have a good Sunday. I have to get back to my work...
Old 01-30-2005, 05:24 PM   #107  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Good luck with weigh-in tomorrow Meredith! Do you truely weigh in once a week or sneak a peek?

I always sneak!
Old 01-31-2005, 05:25 AM   #108  

Hi Jenn!
Wonder where the rest of the people on this thread are? Though, I know Dawny (poor thing) is having a hard time right now. We miss you guys!
At any rate, yes you did answer my question. I think you are doing the right thing as well. I tried SB and Atkins for awhile and must admit that I am just not able to give up certain foods or food groups and be successful. With Atkins, in particular, I didn't feel well. I got horrible leg cramps, in fact, and if you really read the Atkins book (scary that so many people I know that have been on this don't thoroughly read the book) a small percentage of people who are on this program have this problem due to a lack of potassium. I guess I'm in that percentage and the leg pain was bad and scary. I wondered if it was just that one time and tried Atkins again and the same thing happened again, even when I started taking potasium supplements. So, WW is best for me!
I struggle, though, as I am really tempted by the treats that I know are high in points and I used to have. It's hard. But, I just had a more successful weekend than usual, so I am enthusiastic today!
Linda
Old 01-31-2005, 06:19 AM   #109  
Closed

Hi ALL!!!! I haven't posted in a while HERE - still out on the "Core" fence...but after much thought and hemming and hawing...I have made MY decision to stay with points...Much, much better for me and MY lifestyle and much easier on the brain :-) Be it Wendies Plan way of counting points or Winning points or even the 'dregged' (for me) Flex points - it's point for me. I feel MORE in control and I need that. At least I know that when I measure something I can EAT it all and it's all accounted for. Instead of trying to second guess that "am I satisifed or full" thing. I can't do that anymore. I like to know exactly how much of what I am eating, and then when I sit down to eat I don't have to think about it. I have been BACK to it since Saturday and am doing great, I might add : -) Good for me!! So if you all don't mind I will be coming back here to get the support and inspiration that we all can use and need.
Let's face it, it really is a lifetime struggle. I am 8 lbs from goal and it is just as hard if not harder then the first 50 were!! BUT I feel a renewed sence about it all, after struggling for so long thinking I was turning my back on Core.
Jenn - I have seen you at a Core board, did you try it and then decide to do points. You are doing fabulously...good for you!
Sorry for the loss of Dawny's Granny..very sad....that is always hard. My condolences.
I haven't quite caught up on all the reading just this last page or so.
I hope you all have a great day.....and that we ALL stay focused - together....
Talk with you all later............ L.J...........(the other) Linda :-)

Last edited by L.J; 01-31-2005 at 06:21 AM.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:52 AM   #110  

Hi LJ, glad to have you back. I remember your struggle. I went through exactly the same thing. I'm on point.
I know exactly what you mean, by the way, in terms of turning your back on CORE which you and I both know is a very healthy way to eat. I seem to need the controls and just couldn't have "free reign" and know when I was satisfied enough. I am still eating better than I was before CORE, though, on points. It created an awareness in me of the quality of my food.
Yes, you are correct that the last few pounds are just as hard, if not harder, than the first weight you take off. I think, near the end, it's even worse as you have less to lose and the body doesn't let go of the fat so easily, at least I found that a few years back when I made Lifetime with WW. As a Lifetime member, who went off the wagon, I am remorseful. I knew better. I can't even understand HOW I allowed myself to gain all the weight back, and then some, but I did.
This time, for me, though it has to be for a lifetime. I'm older, wiser, and in danger of all the weight related health issues that come along with getting older, sadly. In fact, I turn 50 in about two weeks. We ALL know that a better diet and a person who is in their weight range for their height and age will do better as they age. I want to live a long and healthy life. I certainly do not want to be "checking out" early. I have teenagers and a husband, and I want to enjoy them all for years to come, and maybe hold a grandchild one day in my arms. Maybe even enjoy a long and FUN retirement when my husband finally retires. I need to get control, and learn how to adapt this all into my life and stick with it.
I do know, now, that the most important thing about keeping weight off for me will be to continue to go t ww meetings and not stop that. That was the biggest mistake I had made as a lifetime member. I lost touch with it all and figured I could do it on my own. No way.
Please do catch up on reading back a few pages on this thread. I was playing around with this new "inner diva" idea and it's really fun as well and helpful. I was totally in my "inner diva" mindset over the weekend and it really helped me accomplish a few things that have been very hard for me.
Now, I am going to have to "place my order" with my husband for Valentines Day. Usually, it's a "chocolate orgy" in this household. We all get heart shaped boxes of chocolates and there are tons of bad choices here on hand.
My daughter, age 14, is also going to WW and struggling too. She and I don't need the chocolate this year. I will feel deprived (especially if I am giving up Chocolate for Lent) this year, but I need to find a substitute and FUN thing.
Let's all brainstorm about what else can be done, foodwise, to celebrate the day?
I know the usual jewelry, flowers and whatnot things, but we like to all include foods in our holiday celebrations. So, what can be done without chocolate?
Take care,
Linda
Old 01-31-2005, 06:53 AM   #111  

Hi all, just popped in for a quick 'catch up'. Thank you all so much for your kind words, they are much appreciated. I'm ok I think, actually. All cried out, so to speak. Still a little numb I suppose, but when the funeral is out of the way, don't know when it is yet, I'm sure that will help. In the meantime I am trying not to go too mad in the food department. I will admit to LOTS of comfort eating over the weekend. Stuff I really know I should avoid like the plague. But I guess sometimes its needed and you can't stop anyway. Today, I feel like its time I took control again. I know I may well have 'relapses' over the next few days, weeks etc, but at least if I feel in control of things I will feel a little better about the situation in general. I am currently not looking to lose weight particularly, other things are obviously more important at the moment, but, if I can at least stay stable then thats something.

Welcome to Jen, hi, good luck with WW, I'm sure you will enjoy the programme, and find it quite easy to follow and a healthier way to eat and live your life. you have done a stunning job so far, so keep it up!

L.J. - welcome back, good to see you are still working hard at it!

Linda, Hi friend! Glad you have had a better weekend, that 'frisky' diva of yours is doing her job well!

To everyone else, Melanie, Meredith, and any others I just can't think of right now, hope you had a great weekend, speak soon. Take care.

Last edited by dawnydw; 01-31-2005 at 06:54 AM. Reason: terrible spelling as usual!
Old 01-31-2005, 07:00 AM   #112  

Hey Dawny, our posts arrived at about exactly the same moment! Great minds think alike?
I suspect losing control and having comfort foods may happen in the next week or two for you as well. I am reminded of when Natalie lost her friend during the summertime and had a real struggle afterwards. You need to relax a bit and allow yourself a bit of time, with no worry.
Certainly, if there is a family funeral, there are usually lots of comfort foods around as a family gathers to support each other after a funeral service. Just give yourself a bit of rest from this and take each day, one day at a time.
I'd try to remember to exercise, if it's nice outside, get out and take a walk as well, the sunshine will be good for you emotionally.
Take care,
Linda
Old 01-31-2005, 09:15 AM   #113  

Linda--

I was confused as to there even being 2 plans - I thought core as in "main" board. LOL. I started points my first time on WW, which was the 20th of this month. I weigh in on Thursday for the first time in a week. Although I peeked this morning and am up. I have to learn not to weigh in until Thursday because i get so frustrated, you know?

ANyway, Dawny, my heart goes out to you. I am off to fill up my water bottle, throw a lime in it, eat some yogurt and start working. TTYAL.

Old 01-31-2005, 09:19 AM   #114  

Hey Linda in NH -- sorry didn't meant o ignore your post!

See, I don't like chocolate (unless its that TOM) or cheesecake. LOL. My temptation is potato chips. So I've been trying to eat pretzels instead. Or I will buy Pringles FF or something and only eat them for lunch and bring the one serving with me to work. I try not to binge on them when I am home during the week! It's hard, expecially if there is a weekend in there somewhere!

Anyway, what about buying Hershey's miniatures? Or don't they do LESS sugar (not Sugar Free because those make you, um, poop for lack of a better term) candies? Whitman's sells boxes with 5 pieces in them, right? How about just buying a smaller box and using your Flex points that day (or over 2,3,4, or 5) and have the chocolate then?

How about chocolate sorbet? Or fudgcicles?
Old 01-31-2005, 10:13 AM   #115  

Jenn, good luck with your weigh in, don't keep weighing yourself - thus said from a person who has weighed herself twice today already. It's kind of a "do as I say, not as I do thing". I have to admit I have a scale addiction. Is there an AA kind of thing for that? Ha Ha!
Just so you know, I am giving up chocolate for Lent. I'm not doing this as my religion forces one to do this (not being Catholic) but I like the time period as one of reflection. I have done this in recognition of the sacrifices made in my own faith. Don't want to get into religious philosophy here, but it's what I want to do. The last two years, I gave up salt. I pick something that is most important to me. This year, I feel chocolate, in all forms, are what has been in the way of my weight loss. It is what leads me down the wrong path and out of control. I can lose control with potato chips, or anything, though, but chocolate is the consistent thing for me.
I am giving up chocolate this year and will be donating what I did not spend on chocolate to Tsunami relief. It's my own personal sacrifice and I find it is a battle of wills and self control! This is why I was seeking suggestions of chocolate alternatives for Valentines day.
At any rate, off to face my day now....
Linda
Old 01-31-2005, 11:12 AM   #116  

My goodness, I am soooo far behind! I’m gone for the weekend, and everyone posts like crazy! Time to catch up!

First, Dawny – I’m incredibly sorry for your loss. I’m sending you hugs and cocoa (sugar free). It is hard to do or think of anything else until at least after the memorial service. Cutting up a salad may be too hard to work in right now. If someone brings a casserole, I vote you dive in. Don’t worry too much about it. What is that saying, “Life happens while you are making plans”? Take care of you and get back on program when you can. You’re a slim and sassy hot-mama, anyway! So close to goal! Love ya!

Frisky – Glad your diva guided you through the weekend. Mine seems to like napping and take-out. Hmmm… So temperamental. But, overall, it was a successful weekend for me too. I only used 3-4 FPs each day, and ordered my half of last night’s pizza Canadian bacon, pineapple, and onion. Yummy. Valentine treats, huh? Well, I liked the cheesecake mentioned by Jenn! If you’re looking for more the gift idea, how about yogurt covered raisons or nuts, dried fruits, hard candies. Oooo… how about buying a heart shaped box of the stuff we will not mention, take the stuff we will not mention out and deliver it promptly to your quilting friends. Then, fill the box for Jamie with hard-candies, tiny gifts (keychain, earrings, etc.), and stuff. I would love something like that! You could also get a mold and make a strawberry heart-shaped soda cake.

Jenn – Hello! Glad to meet ya! Great job so far! We are about the same place on our journey, but I’ve been doing WW points since June 04, and I meet weekly with a group at my church. I try not to get too caught up in weighing at home, or even at the meetings. A couple of weeks ago, I was obviously bloated and carrying around some water, but almost got upset when the scale said a .4 gain from my weight a few days before. It can get crazy. That weight was gone and more the next week. I find that even when I don’t think it will happen, following the plan really does work. Hope you are enjoying the Y! I went with a friend to our Y Saturday and hope to get invited again this week. Hopefully, DH and I will be joining soon. He started his new job today and says that after 3 months, if finances look good, we will join. Of course, I will try to get it sooner than that, but within 3 months I should be a member. I am getting kinda bored with the home workouts. I want some variety and good weight equipment to help with the toning. Plus, several friends are members, so that will add some fun.

LJ – I love the 100 cal. Packs. I haven’t gotten them in a while because I’ve been extra-tight on the budget, but I really like the Chips Ahoy. I think there seems to be more of those in the bag than oreo. I want to try some of the others too. I think they have come out with some new ones.

Well, I have discovered that WW cereal is sold at several stores, but none near me yet. Has anyone here tried it? I have heard mentioned that there is WW oatmeal being sold at meetings. Tried this? Anything else new I need to check out? I usually go in for supplies when my journal is about to run out, so about every three months. Maybe I need to head over this week to check out some new stuff. What about the snack mixes? Any reports?

This morning, I got up early with DH to fix him a good breakfast before he headed out for his first day on the new job. I am praying he will be happier there than he expects. He is really dreading it, but we look at it as a means to an end. In a few years, we should be out of debt with a little extra and that will free us up to look for full-time ministry. Already, we are sooo busy at church. I got added to the decorating committee last night. I think the older ladies are looking for some young ones with good joints to do the grunt work. Little do they know, my muscles come with opinions! Anyway, I have to start organizing well to get things done around the house, Bible reading and study, drama ministry, teaching Sunday School, AWANA club, youth helper, and make time to eat healthy and workout.

Speaking of being busy, I’ve chatted long enough. I have to get back to work!
Old 01-31-2005, 12:24 PM   #117  

Just a quickie. Thanks Melanie for your lovely words - and the cocoa! Much needed and appreciated! Ta me duck, (as we say in this neck of the woods!)

See ya later.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:35 PM   #118  

Hi!

I just posted over in the Monday chat thread, but wanted to come over and say hi here too!

I've been lurking for awhile. I've been reading over all you posts and it's nice to see you ladies being so supportive of each other. Mind if I join in here with you all?

A quick intro... I'm 36 and happily married and a mom of 4 ages 18-20mos. We live in Indiana. I haven't officially joined WW yet. I'm winging it on my own. But I hope to be able to join and go to meetings in a few weeks. I have struggled with my weight most of my adult life and have tried mostly low carb. I just couldn't stick with it. So far I love WW I don't feel deprived or hungry and best of all I'm losing weight.

I look forward to getting to know you all.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:42 PM   #119  

Glad to hear from you Dawny! Keep popping in, even if you can't chat. We will miss your ramblings (as you call them!).

Hi, Robin! Welcome to the board. We love it when lurkers speak up! Looks like you are off to a great start! Since I've been doing this for about 8 months, it's refreshing to talk with people just starting up. Oh, my! 18-20 mths! You must be a busy lady! DH and I are planning to wait a bit before we start our family. Must have a bit more time before I change my name to Mommy! But, I keep saying that around the time I hit my WW goal, I just know I'll end up preggers! Anyway, just wanted to say welcome!
Old 01-31-2005, 01:08 PM   #120  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenne1017
Good luck with weigh-in tomorrow Meredith! Do you truely weigh in once a week or sneak a peek?

I always sneak!
I truly weigh in once a week. I find that if I sneak a peek, it takes all the excitement out of it for me, or depresses me! LOL!
Closed Thread