Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:48 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5'6

i saw/read somewhere that you burn 3 times more weight on an epiliptical then on a bike machine.. it was like 430smething vs 130something but dont do the machine if if hurts you. work your way up, like everything else.

i cant not weigh myself either... but i think i do it obsessively=p (like everytime i go pee, & when i wake up and go to bed - i like to see how it fluctuates) I dont take the number to heart, cos i know the one at WW is different, and actually the number is lower at my house than there.... (its 210 here, and 212 there.. well was...)
Old 03-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

My scale is the opposite. I'm usually about 3 lbs lighter on the WW scale than I am at home. Which is a *good* thing and it sort of takes the sting out of weighing in the evening (when of course you will weigh more than in the morning).
Old 03-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 248/167/150

my scale is a digital scale... a glass one, i feel like im going to shatter it every time i step on it LOL. The numbers are all over the place for me as well. And i too cannot stop weighing myself. I am at the point where i need to ask my boyfriend to hide it on me haha. Atleast it gives me a heads up when i do go to weigh in that if i am in a lower range than i was the week before then i lost weight most likely. If its close to the same or above... then i have myself mentally ready for the WI.

I still think i should get him to hide it :P
Old 03-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #19  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I love the idea of a weekly thread. You know what else I think would be cool? A progress photos thread for WWers - I love looking at everyone's progress photos and think it would be cool if we had our own here in this forum, too. What do you all think?

I used to do Zumba and really enjoyed it, too, once I got over the initial embarrassment and stopped worrying that I wasn't doing all the moves exactly right. The key for me was not to look at myself in the mirror. I haven't been able to go in a long while because the class times either don't work with my schedule or they are full by the time I get there. There's a spin-off class that's started at my gym called Funk Fitness, where it's the same basic concept but leaning more towards hip-hop style dancing over Latin. I am hoping to be able to try one of those classes soon. It amazes me how crazy popular Zumba has become! I see all these women at the gym in their Zumba gear (the pants with the tassles on the butts take more chutzpah to wear than I've got!) and it reminds me of the Jazzercise craze of the 80s. My spin instructor (who I think was a goth girl in a former life, haha) calls it the Zumba cult - only half joking, I think.

Right now I am getting ready to run a half marathon on Sunday and so a lot of my training over the past several weeks has been focused on running. I ran this race last year (it was my first endurance type event) and finished in 3 hours, although I'd injured my hip and had to walk a good portion of it. This year I will hopefully be able to run injury-free and would love to make it in under two and a half hours. We'll see.

Food-wise, I have been doing good this week. I haven't had the huge yo-yo swings in weight that I was experiencing earlier this year, although I haven't lost a whole lot in the last couple of weeks, either. Getting to closer to goal is great but it makes it harder to lose. I'm still calorie counting along with tracking my points and that's helping me be more aware of my food choices, where my nutrients are coming from and what foods help or hinder me.

Spooky, I hope you make that 10lbs this week! It's such a great feeling to hit those milestones. I love sushi and eat it once a week or so - focus on sashimi or nigiri; avoid tempura items and rolls that include mayo-based sauces. Dinner ideas, huh? Well, tonight I am having roasted asparagus and salmon. Last night I had tofu with spinach and mushrooms. Tomorrow night I am having turkey burgers and sauteed kale. If any of those sound appetizing to you, let me know and I'll be happy to send you the recipe.

Marianne, glad to hear you are feeling better and hope that the scale is kind this week.

Mercuryblue and jinksie, don't let your fear of not being able to dance or move a certain way get in your way of trying Zumba. I am the most uncoordinated person I know and have no rhythm, but even I can do it and it's a lot of fun! Just don't worry about getting the moves perfect, as long as you are moving, that's what's important. And take a look around, you'll likely see plenty of people who are no Michael Jacksons, either.

Mercuryblue, I don't think skipping breakfast would necessarily be a hinderance, as long as you don't find it makes you overeat the rest of the day. Some people prefer to have three meals with one or two snacks and others eat more mini-meals. It's up to you, really. The important thing is to track what you're eating and don't set yourself up to be too hungry.

Phae, welcome and good luck! That DVD sounds like a real kickbutt workout. I am an expat Canadian and ketchup chips are my very favorite. It's a good thing they don't sell them down here, although those crispy minis sound like a good substitute.

Kimberly, your weekend sounds like my weekend prior. It took me a week to get rid of the water weight from the sodium. I read one of your other posts somewhere where you mentioned having splurge days and finding that harder now that you're closer to goal. That's me, too - I am finding that one treat meal can really do some damage, even if it's just short-term. When we finally get to goal and are maintaining, that probably wouldn't be such an issue, but when you're trying to lose weight consistently every week, it's a different matter - and frustrating! I hope this week is better for you. Enjoy your run!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK, I'm going to get off the computer and go make a healthy and delicious supper.

Last edited by LitChick; 03-14-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #20  

Before weight watchers for me, breakfast befor 10am made me over eat all day. I know they say it kicks your metaolism going and boy did it for me.. I'd be hungry ALL day; but with WW, i have the points avaible to eat, and obviously i can eat all the fruit i want without guilt.. so thats an added benefit.

as for showing progress photos.. sometimes they only work a little .... not everyone wants to show off their photos... I know i dont.. cept maybe the photos from my heaviest years ago in comparison til now...and heaviest was only about 20lbs heavier... (HUGE difference)
Old 03-14-2011, 07:55 PM   #21  

Ive only lost 12 lbs in the last 7 weeks since starting this journey...i dont notice any changes in my body yet, but i cant wait to start seeing it happening. I notice my work scrubs getting a little looser for sure, but i cant afford to buy more yet, i will have to wait till they look rediculous to change them... but they are getting to that point, and they make me look heavier since they are so boxy!
Old 03-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Oooh! I'm not very far in this journey yet but I'd be happy to show before and during!

And I lost 1.4 this week so I surpassed my 10# goal and have only ounces to go to meet my 5%! I really hope I can do it next week.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #23  
Geek

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'8"

congrats on your loss this week spooky! a pound is a pound!

have you ever held a 1 lb. something and thought about that used to be on you? sometimes i hold my 5lb. weights and think about that. it's crazy!

i am doing well so far today. still have 9 pts left for the day so i might have a little night time snack in an hour or so.

i am addicted to crispy minis! i'm so glad there is something like chips that i can eat for not too many pts. what i do to control my portion is count out how many are in the portion on the label and put them into a bowl and then put the bag away so i don't over eat. it makes me savour them more.

i am also loving fruit! i bought strawberries, pineapple, bananas and apples today... yuuuummmm!!

TOM is bringing me down a bit but i'm hoping my exercise this week will make me feel better.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #24  
Less of a Better Me

Really interesting to read everyone's posts. Grats on the 10 pounds Spooky.

I lost a pound this week. Not sure how this week will go. I ate out Saturday (my weigh in day) and used 7 weekly points. Wednesday is my mom's 87th birthday so we are driving 4 hours to take her out and then driving 4 hours back home...not sure how that day will go WW-wise.

We have to drive back that same day because we have inspections the next day for our house that is under contract to sell. We are going to be living in very small quarters while our new house is being built so I threw out a lot of clothes. I threw out all my clothes that are too big for me (better not gain any weight) and even some that will fit me now or almost fit me now. I thought about packing them away until the new house is built, but that is close to a year away at best so I hope those clothes would be too big for me thin.

Very hectic this week and the next couple of weeks getting ready for closing so not much time for exercise. On the other hand...I wonder if I could count box packing as activity?
Old 03-14-2011, 09:20 PM   #25  
Geek

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'8"

Good luck with your busy week Koshka!

I got shoes in the mail today that I ordered, and of course the right one is soooo tight and will have to take some wearing before it stretches out (they're canvas). Made me wonder if my feet will shrink when I lose more weight! Haha. I have such big, wide feet. It's so annoying! (Size 11W if anyone is wondering.)
Old 03-14-2011, 09:25 PM   #26  

I have wider feet also, but what pisses me off... is that i cannot ever find a pair of knee length boots to fit me. None of them fit at the calf, it sucks! Anyone else find that too? ***shakes fists***

I wish i could design clothes... atleast these days there is some choices in plus size clothing that is a little more "hip" , when i was a teenager i had to wear old lady clothes, always felt i couldnt be who i wanted to be due to lack of clothing for larger sizes. My mom used to hear all about my frustrations. Now its not too bad, but still kinda sucks!

Last edited by mercuryblue; 03-14-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:37 PM   #27  

i have a pair of zip up boats i LURVE... cos they wont go over my calf (right now - before i got pregnant, i could (with the weightloss i'd had then); right now i just slouch them down, zip them and pull them up as high as i physically can =p
Old 03-14-2011, 09:39 PM   #28  

also, i did zumba 1hour tonight. Cardio party... and i was sweating my *** off.. breathing heavy through some of it, but i kinda felt like i didnt do anything. Maybe i was sweating cos the room was hot? (i live in Fl and dont have the ac on right now despite 80s today)... and honestly... i kept thinking "i hate skinny people, cos they can do this, and i cant" =p but it takes practice... this i know.
allow me my one evil thought
Old 03-14-2011, 09:42 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 197/see ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Hello chicks!

I take Zumba classes at least once a week--don't stress about the moves, just keep moving and have fun! The steps will come eventually!

LitChick--your story is amazing! I keep saying I am going to train for a 1/2 marathon, but I still haven't done it...maybe now is the time. We have a race in the fall in my city..Good luck!
Old 03-14-2011, 11:03 PM   #30  

Ugh my boyfriend wants to go and get stuff to make nachos tonite after i am done work and watch a movie. I think nachos are probably one of my favorite things to eat in the entire...ENTIRE world. It is sheer torture to watch him eat them. I am going to try to satisfy myself with some popcorn lol. blah!

He has been following the plan with me, but i find he gets grumpy... so i have to sweeten him up with a few cookies every now and then! Anyone else have men at home who like to grumble over eating well? its like we are torturing them lol.

Last edited by mercuryblue; 03-14-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Closed Thread