Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 06:47 AM   #121  

Happy Saturday LWL!

When I clicked on the forums just now, the top forum flashed this message: "Krispy Kreme dognuts and Diet Coke." My first thought, it's early, was 'is that how you spell doughnuts?' Ah, no. So now the next time I have an attack of the KKK, I have an association to make to dispel the craving. I'll just think of the largest male dog I've ever seen. Just thinking about it now is a turn-off.

Isn't this a great thread? I must say when LWL is on a roll, = LWL is on a roll!

Ilene - Don't know if I'm up to lunging miles yet, but I'll meet y'all there! How about raising money for us to open our own LWL gyms? I did some 'girl' push-ups yesterday for the fun of it. Ahem, time to practice and do some more.

Mel - yep, "poison" is a word frequently heard around here. The more I use it for association, the more it works in my head.

Dove - If you are going to go cold turkey, let me give you a tip. You will go through withdrawl, and like I said, "it ain't pretty." The best thing you can do is stay ready at your computer, and come here to LWL and read old threads, and some of the websites noted in the stickies. I can't tell you how many times doing that has gotten me through some tough times.

ledom - No, I haven't seen the Curves commercial. Is it being run on regular stations, like NBC or cable stations? I would like to see it.

Meg - I could see doing slow-mo maybe once a week for strength building, but. . .
Thursday when I lifted, I tried a set of slow mo for each area I was working, and I'll tell ya that I've never felt so "broken-down" as I did on Friday. I mean I was drained like I've never been before, and decided I will never do that again. It wasn't the good hurt, it was like I had been beaten up.

Well, it's finally happened to me. Someone didn't recognize me last night at my nephew's wedding, and it was my niece. They all live 60 miles away, and although my nephew has been here to visit, we haven't been down there for awhile because of being away from home so much. I talk to my (older) sister on the phone, but hadn't seen her since July. Nephew reported to them that I've lost weight, but since I don't talk about it outside of here that much, no one knew just what to expect. When my sister saw me, she cried. My niece was running late, and ran past a few times where I was sitting next to my sister. She acknowledged her mother, but looked right past me. I thought maybe she was mad at me for something. DH was out with the rest of the guys telling the groom it wasn't too late to run. It wasn't until DH came in and sat next to me that my niece realized it was me. When I stood up to hug her, her jaw dropped and she said she didn't mean to be rude, she really didn't recognize me and was wondering who the heck was that sitting next to her mother, and why DH was there without me when she looked around the hall and didn't see me anywhere. (My hair is darker and longer too.) It was a bittersweet moment.

Later on, in the ladies' room, I was checking my look in a full length mirror and kind of shocked myself at just how small I do look. (I don't mean small like size 4 small, I mean small for 180+ pounds.) I only have full length mirrors down in my lifting area of the basement, and I usually have on sweats or non-flattering garb. So I really never looked-looked at myself dressed up since the new way of life.

Yes, I did have a piece of wedding cake which I enjoyed, but again didn't taste as good as I thought it would. DH and I both were drooling, saying "caaaa-kke" since it had been so long. We also lucked out on the food as it was buffet, and had roasted turkey and veggies, which made up for the 2 beers, and a glass of punch. This morning will definitely be an hour on the treadmill!

I didn't have a chance to call the Curves lady yesterday, since she's only there from 3-6PM, and we left here at 4. But I will call this morning. DH brought home roses for "If you get the job, or if you don't" He does have his moments.

Niffer - glad to meet you and hope to get to know you!

Big HELLOS to all and hope you have a great weekend. I'll check back later with the Curves report. Stay safe!

dip
Old 01-17-2004, 07:31 AM   #122  
Meg

Morning, Sarge! We may be the only ones up at this early hour. I’ve got the stomach blues so might skip cardio this AM (don’t want to blow chunks on the elliptical ).

I was just about to duck in the shower to see if that would perk me up when I saw your post. Your story about not being recognized — this is what I meant when I said that the changes are going to start coming fast for you now. All of a sudden, you’re going to start getting the payoffs for all the hard work you’ve done so far. You know how you sloughed along in the 200s for what seemed to be forever, kind of running on blind faith that all this would work and be worth it? Well, all the good stuff is coming now. Sit back and enjoy it!

For me, for a while I decided that I had become a ghost. I could see other people but they couldn’t see me. I’d go to a social event or a school function, and people who have known me for 20 years would walk by me without a word or second glance. I’d say something and they’d look at me politely but quizzically. Once I spoke, sometimes then people said they’d recognize my voice or my eyes, but usually I’d have to tell them who I was. Even my own father walked by me at the airport when he hadn’t seen me for three months (when I went from 70 to 100 pounds lost). And every time DD came home from college, she had a new mom.

Very weird feeling, isn’t it? It’s a little bit like losing yourself and finding a new you — actually we talked about that a bit in Jiffypop's thread in Maintainers — and it can be disconcerting. Especially when you don’t even recognize yourself in the mirror — watch, you’ll be in a store somewhere and pass by a mirror and not realize it’s you … and you’ll back up and stare … not in a narcissistic way, just kind of marveling at what’s happened.

Wedding cake — I’ve yet to taste anything that ends up being as good as I imagined. And I remind myself of that a lot!

Off to the showers — hope everyone has a great weekend! We’re supposed to get snow and ice here, so we’ll just hibernate.

Meg
Old 01-17-2004, 10:51 AM   #123  

Well, here I am, over in the corner. I don’t feel too bad, but I sound like a bad cross between Jimmy Durante and Marlene Dietrich. I’m all rasp, with a tubercular cough. Thanks to everyone for their get-well wishes. I kept up with everything, even though sitting down to write a post just seemed to take more energy than I had. Actually, I did dash off a shortie midweek, but the computer ate it. I gave up and went to bed.

I’ve not been on the treadmill in a week, and I’ve sorely missed it. In fact, I’m surprised at how much I miss it! I’ve worked out off and on for more than 30 years. ( what a number!) And every time I’ve resumed after a hiatus, I’ve wondered how on earth I could forget how good exercise makes me feel. I don’t know about the rest of you, but a single workout (especially cardio) can have a telling effect on my body and on my mind in less than 24 hours! Yet, in years past, when I’ve slid out of my routines, I’ve somehow lost sight of all those great feelings. I would muddle on for weeks or months, and then one day, get back into the groove. And then it would hit me: boy, this really feels good.

It’s been different this time. I WANT TO GET BACK ON THAT TREADMILL. I miss the high. I WANT my Pilates class to start (Tuesday is the day). I WANT to get back to the weights. There are no thoughts like, “I *should* get back. I WANT to get back to it.

Frankly, I’m loving this.

So, what’s the difference? Here’s my theory. For the first time, I am really monitoring how I feel and how I react to clean eating and good workouts. This is all uppermost in my mind (sharing space, admittedly, with Airedale Rescue, a presidential inauguration and our new lot, upon which we’re going to build a wonderful new house). When you think about something, write about something, become totally immersed in something, it’s pretty hard to turn your back on it, KWIM? I can’t deny the differences in how I feel with and without exercise. And I realize that I’m beginning to partially define myself by this lifestyle. (Hello, my name is Robin and I’m a clean-eating, cardio-loving lifter.) Finally, I give much credit to LWL, for helping me keep my consciousness for finely tuned.

Even though I’m not working out this week, I’m reading about your workouts. My legs were totally wiped out after Meg’s and Mel’s workouts.

So, that’s my story for this week. Whodda thunk it – head cold turns into revelations. Everything happens for a reason.

Cindy, just one thought on your pal’s suggestion to “take a full free day one of the days, and try to get it out of my system. Eat what I want and feel comforted by it, and have a good ole pity party.” I can certainly understand the urge, but several folks here on LWL have said that a full free day can set off a binge of huge proportion. Just be careful my dear. A free day won’t heal the hurt or the heart. What about a great dinner out with a friend – that way you have good food and good talk, which is a powerful combination. And keep talking to us. We care.

There’s no way I can catch up with everyone. Like Dip said, when we’re on a roll, we’re on a roll. But I have to ask: Who’s Alton.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:13 AM   #124  
Ilene the Bean

Mel -- Ha, I'm not sore!!! I can't believe it! Just stiff and feel like Ive had a good work out which I did... After that chest workout yesterday, I did take 2 tsp. of Glutamine and 3000mg of Vit.C in divided doses...So that may have made the difference Who knows...

Robin -- For years I did WW without loosing inches or weight either... then I come here, LWL, for a full straight year and I too can see major differences... Not on the scale, but mentally...Before I always weight trained, never quit, but it was never as "focussed" as it is now when I report in... I would much prefer to report in here, than WW, because I don't have to look good, I can come here daily in my jammies and yack away, and I always come away from the puter feeling 100% better than when I went to those meetings... Another thing that WW did NOT understand was weight training... "Well, maybe you shouldn't train with weights, it makes the scale go up...." Drove me !!!! They did not understand at alllllll! I agree I could never turn my back on my health or LWL ...

I have to cut this short, MUST do housework, now there's something I CAN turn my back on...

Later!!
Old 01-17-2004, 11:49 AM   #125  

Default Happy Saturday!

Robin, Alton or AB as fans call him is a geeky-sexy TV producer turned TV cooking show host. How-eva! He is far more than a "cooking show host". He teaches the science behind the recipes. He has intelligent writings on his web site and a great sense of humor! Check out www.altonbrown.com or www.foodnetwork.com for the details. His show is called Good Eats. I love it! Last night he baked a cake. sigh............ He cooks salmon in a cardboard box. His stand mixer has those funny race car flames on it (that KILLS me!). He uses hair dryers for cooking. And he tells you why you should use a round casserole dish for making mac & cheese, never use butter to grease a baking dish, why you should beat the butter and sugar together when making cookies, cakes and the like.

Here's a little diddy on salt:
IRONY PART I
In an attempt to be fashionably healthy, you forswear all salt and adopt a twenty-five-cup-a-day water habit. You pour the wet stuff in so fast and furious that after a few days your cells become slightly flooded, diluting your electrolytes (the power workers of the body). This results in a slowing of neural transmissions. Your spatial judgment becomes impaired, as do your balance and reflexes. So instead of stepping over that cigar butt, you trip over it, falling off the train platform in from of the oncoming uptown express. And all because you didn't eat your salt. Shame on you.

IRONY PART II
You're in the middle of the ocean in a raft. You have no water supply with you so you take a nice long drink of seawater. Soon you find you're thirsty again so you drink more... and more. Trouble is, sea water is just salty enough that you can never quite get enough water to flush the excess salt. Your cells, desperate to balance osmotic pressure, dump water until they shrivel and parch. Your heart turns into a spastic drum machine and your nervous system freaks as your kidneys lose their dictatorlike grasp on your body chemistry. Tomorrow you're raving mad. The day after, you're dead. Shame on you.

Must run - lots to do today!

Last edited by Niffer; 01-17-2004 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:14 PM   #126  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default GOOOD morning!

Three day weekend for me and my better half and even better - back to 100% activity officially on Monday! YEE HAW...got a riding lesson in the AM on Monday...another one after work on Tuesday...making up for lost time big time! I have yet to figure out what kind of weight training split I am going to start with on Monday - I'll have to read Mel and Meg's posts to review the leg workout - that's my problem area too.

Jim is recording all day today, and I have to do a full-on housecleaning - the first one since prior to surgery. (I've been doing dribs and drabs but my baby sis put me to shame yesterday...she is Mrs. Clean and gave me The Clean Lecture ) Also have to go to the library and I'm going to visit Dakota and turn him out for a bit later this afternoon. It's going to be a gorgeous (cold but still nice) day out here in Cali...

Robin - hope you feel better - a lot of my coworkers are battling some sort of bug this winter. I have to agree with you on your advice to Cindy against having a full-out free day. Again - I would suggest JOURNALING. Just write down your private thoughts - also (if the weather isn't FREEZING) go out for a walk - just do something not involving eating or the fridge. Just my two cents.

Anyway...gotta get in the shower...and get started with my day...(I did go to the gym already and got some cardio in...)
Old 01-17-2004, 01:30 PM   #127  
Lovin' Zumba!

Happy Saturday ladies!

I'm feeling a bit better about things, and thus am less freaked out about what I might or might not eat. Good to feel somewhat back in control. Still afraid to go to a store though!

I have definitely decided against taking the free-day advice - I agree that it might set off a major binge. The shopping idea sounds good, but I think it's best if I stay clear of any and all stores this weekend - too much food temptation everywhere!

On a more positive note, I did make it through another week of no missed workouts again - my second since the big sickness of 2003. I know exactly what you mean Robin - when I was sick, part of my crankiness was about not being able to work out!

Oh, and my reward for these couple of good weeks was to see the scale go down again. I've seen the same number 3 days in a row, so I'm calling it official. Got to try to keep up with Sarge, you know!

Today I plan to do the usual catching up on housework, and spend some time checking out some online dating sites. I think the best cure for me may be to find another diversion! Wish me luck!
Cindy

Last edited by BfL_Cat; 01-17-2004 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:56 PM   #128  
Gym'll fix it!!

Robin, I agree totally with your post I feel great after a workout alive, full of energy like i can take on anything and yet i almost have to coax myself to darn well go and do one is'nt that ? I am getting better about it but even so i'm not raring to go yet hope you feel better soon

Dip, thats an incredible story about your niece you must have felt awesome
Old 01-17-2004, 02:00 PM   #129  
Ilene the Bean

Dip-- You've come a long way BABBEEE!! Way to go ....
Old 01-17-2004, 02:26 PM   #130  
Lovin' Zumba!

Oh, yeah - Dip, how awesome for you! Isn't that a great feeling? Hurray for you!

It is funny what you said about the full-length mirror. I'm the same way - so used to seeing myself full length in the gym, which is often not a pretty site, and then taken aback when I see myself full length in clothing.

We'll both have to get ourselves new mirrors for our bedrooms so we can keep an eye on how we're looking.
Cindy
Old 01-17-2004, 05:04 PM   #131  
Lovin' Zumba!

Ilene - no fair stealing my avatar and making it better because it's actually your back! I'm jealous because my fat% is no where near low enough to see any of those muscles yet, even if I know they're there.

You look great!
Cindy
Old 01-17-2004, 05:44 PM   #132  
Ilene the Bean

Unfortunately this is the only part of me that looks like this, my legs have a lot of fat! So I must work on that... Thanks for the encouraging words... I have no idea what my b/f is...

Last edited by Lanaii1; 01-17-2004 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:35 PM   #133  

Just wanted to pop in and say that I tried that "shanny shake" pancake recipe today. I added 1/2 scoop of my vanilla whey pp. they are VERY good!!

Question is.. is that recipe good for one or two servings?

Sheesh.. sorry again for all the questions... even I'm getting tired of them, but I neeeed to know!.hehehe
Old 01-17-2004, 08:37 PM   #134  

Oh my gosh, it's Ilene's Back - I'd know it anywhere! All Right! My BF isn't low enough either, Cindy, and I doubt I have muscles like that yet. Wow, isn't she fabulous? I bet you look great in a tank top, Ilene.

DH's latest thing is , "Flex for me, baby." He's teasing, of course.

Cindy, woo-hoo on the loss, and hurry up. I'm definitely at a plateau this week so here's your chance. Glad to see you're feeling a little better - it shows in your posts. Yeah, I suppose it's time to break down and get a full length mirror. The ones I bought for the basement are the cheapos so I don't know if they are true or not.

Sarge? Ha-ha.

Well, I called Curves this morning, and got their VM - they were closed due to the weather. So I left a message and haven't received a return call as of yet. BTW, I just saw the commerical, on Court TV. Very nice, very tasteful.

Hi Cathy the Gweight! (private joke) Yep, there's nothing like those endorphins kicking in. I had a super cardio this morning, and once I got my groove, I wasa flyin' and didn't want to get off the treadmill. Love when it happens so intensely - just wish I could get that 'high' every time.

Hi Robin - Great post as always. Now please tell me you *are* going to build a ranch. Can't wait to hear the details. Glad to hear you're on the mend.

Mrs. J - It sure doesn't seem like it's been 6 weeks already! When are we gonna see some pics???? You'll be back in those 4's in no time. I'm a biggie (no pun) on journaling too, especially when I'm angry and have to get something off my chest. I don't like confrontation, so journaling and/or imagery, with the person sitting in a chair in front of me and letting 'em have it sure helps. One thing Dr. Phil's book has done for me is made me see I had alot of anger, so when someone would make me angry, I would over-react, and then try to shove it down with food. So I had to get to the root of the original anger and work that out of me. Wow, what a difference.

Well, I need to get downstairs and work my upper - I get this urge every time I think of Ilene's, and now I have to look at hers too a few times a day. You sure know how to motivate a buddy, Ilene!

Hi to all, and hope your evening is good!

dip

Last edited by diphthong; 01-17-2004 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:16 PM   #135  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

sunluvr, yes that is one serving.

I have been on a cooking binge, I have turkey meat loat, turkey meatballs, spaghetti squash, brown rice, green beans, chocolate bread, irish oatmeal and apples, all cooked and stored in the fridge. I feel so virtuous and happy to have so much food cooked.

Cindy, I am at the end of two weeks of solid workouts and clean food. I feel myself getting my toehold back. It feels good to have those workouts in.

Dip, I bet you looked gorgeous at the wedding.
Closed Thread