Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 08:52 AM   #31  
Meg

Quote:
Okay I WAS on my way out to the gym but I couldn't resist pointing out that I'm GLAD you're not one of MY sweaters Meg - they have very little personality and all the arms have pills and cat hair on them!
But Karen -- I have very little personality and am all covered with cat hair too What's the difference?

Meg
Old 01-13-2004, 08:53 AM   #32  
Peace with body and soul

Default Thank You Meg!!!!

For both the welcome back AND the brilliant rant!

I'm SO glad to see I'm not alone in my thinking here!

I decided on J-1 of this year, 2004 would be the NO EXCUSE YEAR!

I hope I can keep it and if I make excuses, please, please, PLEASE set me straight, all of you!

I wish the same for all others who are still creating disorders for themselves.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:57 AM   #33  
Meg

Adorable avatar, Mindi -- are you a biker babe now?

Meg
Old 01-13-2004, 09:11 AM   #34  
Peace with body and soul

Cheaper than driving! LOL
Old 01-13-2004, 09:15 AM   #35  

Mornin' Everyone!!

Woke up this morning with my puppy (she's actually 6) leaning over me with her ears perked forward swiping her paw on me - "let me out.. let me out.. or you'll be sorry......".. this was at five am. Although, judging from the early am's every one is posting, this seems kinda normal

Meg.. thank you sooo much for the great advice! CLA? I'll check it out today. Someone told me I should buy some glucosamine and chondroitin because when I was younger, hurt my shoulders (stretching arms in a doorway---stupid..stupid..) so when extra effort is placed on them, or cold weather.. they hurt. So, I bought some with chewable tablets that also have added MSM... what was I thinking??? Chewable Tablets?? They are chaulk full of sugar, and each one is roughly loonie (dollar coin) sized diameter and about four times as thick. I'll be taking those things back.

The thyroid problem did cover alot of laziness for me for a long time. Then I just realized.. well, I could continue to use my thyroid for some pathetic excuses and remain unhealthy and overweight.. or I could ..ohh.. i dunno... get off my a$$ and just do something and see what happens. Every time I see the doc, she is still trying to regulate it, and wierdly enough, when I was quite a bit thinner (130#), I was tested, and I was fine...... no thyroid problem. I always thought hypothyroidism was a disease for life... but well,, whatever. Either way, I feel its no longer a barrier. Although.. it would be GREAT to lose at the rate Meg did!!

I took some pics last night (gooooood gawwwwdd). Glad I documented this, however, they are NOT for the faint of heart!! hehe. Looking forward to ANY change that is to come

I have bought some protien powder ( R&L Health, vanilla flavoured whey protien from Costco - is this a good choice?) and I have to choke it down. Was thinking of adding some frozen melon and berries to it.. would this be ok?

Sorry for all the questions and long posts. I'm happy to be here tho.. and can REALLY feel the sense of community and friendship that is expressed on this forum.

Ledom's comment to me regarding "keeping your eyes on the prize" was something I'd never heard and loved it. It keeps me focused Thankyou Ledom for letting me use it in my signature

Ok.. off to do the dreaded bike,, its calling my name. Have a GREAT day everyone!!!
Old 01-13-2004, 09:32 AM   #36  

Oh, Mz. Meg. I read your early AM post and thought about that while I did my cardio, came back and saw more. All I can say is AMEN! You put out there the exact thoughts and words I have been wanting to put out there for about 20 pounds now, but I didn't want to offend anyone. Well, sometimes the truth hurts, but only when you're not willing to face the truth.

My delusional excuses were my legs and the circulation/vericose vein problem I had developed over the years. Before that it was my back that I seriously injured in a car accident when I was 19. Those were just the excuses for not exercising. I couldn't understand with all the heavy-duty home maintenance and construction things I do that I could gain so much weight. The eating was about shoving down anger, and making the wrong choices, and too many of them. I am now in the process of "recovery," that is recovering myself, the person I lost because in my mind I had to be someone else to please another. It was "stinkin' thinkin'" because the person I wanted to please likes me better now because I am, once again - me.

As for "I will NEVER go back," I just posted this last night in another forum-
>>" As for not being pleased and want to keep going, I feel that way too. Like there's no stopping me now and Lord help anybody who tries to get in my way. The return of self-confidence is there also. We will know when we get *there,* whatever our final destination as individuals, the way we feel about ourselves. It's been my experience that external forces like compliments are not my driving force."<<

A pound or two gain from inappropriate carbs triggers me to work harder until it's gone.

I'm betting you thought when I first contacted you and stated "I am a fan," you thought, oh-boy, another one. I was very *fortunate* that I found 3FC at the right time, I found the LWL's at the right time, and Dr. Phil's book hit the shelves at the right time. Anybody still wrestling with themselves about their obesity, and doesn't attempt to apply the 7 Keys laid out in that book is only compounding their own denial. If you can master the first 2 Keys, the other 5 are a piece of cake, no pun intended. IMO, it's the difference between making it about you, and not just the eating/exercise. You can't just use one of those Keys, here or there, you have to apply them collectively, every waking minute of the day. It's what's necessary to take it off, and keep it off.

I am beginning to rationalize my distorted body image with the words placed in her '04 goals, by our own Ms. Mel: "Stop thinking of myself as a fat lady temporarily in smaller clothes. I am who I am now." Powerful.

OK, I just got done with a heavy-duty cardio and need to eat. Back later to say Hi to everyone and catch up.

dip
Old 01-13-2004, 11:50 AM   #37  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Well now, there is a rant or two for you. I'm sure I am in the "slacker" category w/ some of you ladies but I'm still hangin' out here. For me it is a process, one that I am having success with however two steps forward, one step back my progress may be. I do appreciate everything you say Meg and Dip, you ladies are great prototypes for how to "just do it". Dip, you just convinced me to find the Dr. Phil book.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:28 PM   #38  
Uber-Moderator!!

Awesome post today Dip!

Incidentally - speaking of Dr. Phil - anyone else catch the show yesterday? VERY inspirational - I bet that the book (there are two now actually - one is a paperback food guide) sells out this week or maybe the people out there who bought the book earlier and just never READ it will be inspired to do so - those of you who have read it will know it's not just reading, but doing the 'homework' in each chapter. Even though what Dr. Phil says makes a whole lotta sense IMO, each individual still has to do the work. I've been following the Weight Loss Challenge on Dr. Phil since it started and to me, it seems as though there are at least two or three folks of the 13 selected for the Challenge who felt that Dr. Phil would just take their hands and do all the work for them without them giving it much thought - there are a couple of Challengers on the show who I thought would have lost MUCH more weight by now without half trying. Oh well. Just goes to show that losing weight is HARD WORK and keeping it off is more so - but 90% of your success or failure at it (heck, with anything) is determined by your mindset or 'attitude'. Accentuate the Positive...KWIM?
Old 01-13-2004, 01:56 PM   #39  

I apologize if any one here took my statements as directed at them because indeed it was not. One of my past-times is reading other forums here, and my opinion is based on observation, and personal experience with another group.

Anyway - Hi Everyone! Hope all are having a good and healthy day! When you all talk about "legs" I always have a flashback to the first time I did squats with a barbell, and couldn't get off the toilet without holding on to something for 2 days. Funny how it motivated me to do it again.

ledom and Robin, you've inspired me to get my butt out to the gym for the combo Yoga/pilates class. DIL2b is stopping by there to pick up the current schedule and we both are going to go, since she only has one class this semester.

Speaking of sweaters, this tale goes back to the distorted body image thing. When I cleaned out the closet a few months ago (dr. Phil's orders), I left back some winter slacks and sweaters. Before sweater season hit, I bought 2 in smaller sizes that I have been wearing. Sunday morning we were just hanging around the house and I went to put on one of the old sweaters, a pull-over. When I put it on, DH busted a gut laughing because it was so big. I loved that sweater! So I blurted out, "When did my arms get shorter?" because the cuffs were hanging down about 5 inches. I couldn't immediately accept that the whole sweater was too big. So out came the remaining sweaters and slacks, and suits too that I *thought* I still might be able to wear. I also cleaned out my bra drawer. I realized that I had a sick attachment to my clothes because it was so hard for me to discard them initially, and it was almost as hard to discard the remainders on Sunday. After thinking about it, the attachment came from the careful shopping and selection of tasteful and complimentary styles to the former body/shell that I used to call me. That person, as the clothes are now just a memory.

Meg, sure hope those big babies get well soon! My DS had the flu for about 5 days and he was a sick cookie. Sure glad I don't have to do much than send over soup. You have my sympathy.

dip
Old 01-13-2004, 02:03 PM   #40  

*I forgot* to add that I started taking CLA about 6 weeks ago, after reading all the good things about it too. It's suppose to take a month to kick in, but so far I can't say that I see or feel any difference. I will be following any new research or news on it though.

Ah, and Mrs. Jim snuck a post in there too. I saw yesterday's show too. It made me wonder just how the others were doing. I saw the food guide in the store when it came out a few weeks ago, but thumbing through it, I thought that I'm not ready for that yet since what I'm doing is working. But, the closer I get to Maintenance, I will definitely buy it.

Robin pointed out how far I've come. Well, IMO, the weight and body fat are on schedule, but what blows me away are the inches. And most of all, the inches I've lost in comparison since body building, then before body building.
The first 40# was 25 inches, but the second 20# was 15.25 inches overall. I'd like to see that continue!

dip

Last edited by diphthong; 01-13-2004 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:44 PM   #41  
Uber-Moderator!!

Dip - I actually purchased the Food Guide on half.com before I knew what it really was. I wouldn't say you 'weren't ready for it' at this point, not by a long long shot. Most of the book consists of food lists - "High-cost, High-response foods" and "low-cost, low-response" foods (e.g. good foods and bad foods). There's also a 2-week 'rapid start' plan in there as well. My own personal opinion is (judging from quite a few reviews of the first book at Amazon.com) is that there were a lot of folks out there who thought that Dr. Phil should have spent more time on telling folks what to eat and what not to eat (personally, I think he spent enough time in the first book doing just that, but then again I've been doing this for awhile! ) and so the "food guide" was published. The Rapid Start plan is fairly decent - and Dr. Phil has said time and again during this that he's not trying to reinvent the wheel or try and say anything new about food - it's basically lower in calories (I wouldn't say SUPER low) no complex carbs after noon, and lots of veggies and lean protein. Kind of what a lot of bodybuilders eat, although if I were doing it, I would DEFINITELY change the breakfast selections - generally they consist of a healthy cold cereal, a cup of skim milk, 1 egg or 2 eggwhites, and a fruit. Of course for us bodybuilding babes, that is FAR from enough protein - I'd probably subsitute oatmeal for the cereal, toss the milk, and add in a bunch more eggwhites - save the fruit for the snack
Old 01-13-2004, 04:12 PM   #42  
Peace with body and soul

Dipthong, for what its worth, I tried the CLA for several months w/no reasonable results. Maybe it was just me? Maybe I didn't do something right, but I can't recommend spending money on it and its not cheap where I live.

I enjoyed your posts as I'm trying to catch up here on my reading. Congrats on your success!

Speaking of cereal MJ, I found a 'high protein' cereal last night in the ever-expanding organic/low carb section of the market. Its called "Hi Lo" and its low carb! (Imagine that in THIS day and age! LOL) One serving is still only 12gms of protein tho.
Old 01-13-2004, 04:16 PM   #43  
Gym'll fix it!!

Hi Ladies,

Hi Sunlover i'm glad you're here because you're asking a lot of the questions that i want answering too I bought some PP too from the Superstore and although it is very sweet it does'nt taste half bad I hate when i buy stuff to try only to find that i can't stomach the stuff

Ladies, Are there any recommendations out there for a really great tasting PP? it is so hard to choose when you go to a store I also bought a couple of cans of the ready made stuff and i'll be trying one later. I'm having a hard time upping my protein intake and i thought it would be a doddle if i drank shakes but alas it is not..CARBS seem to win everyday
Old 01-13-2004, 04:35 PM   #44  
Lovin' Zumba!

Dip - I took CLA for about 3 months myself, and didn't see any real change in my results. I think that starting to take Udo's oil definitely made a difference in losing from around my middle, but nothing from the CLA. Let us know how it goes.
Cindy
Old 01-13-2004, 05:50 PM   #45  

Despite my very best efforts, it got me. I feel cwumby. Stayed home today, trying to beat it. Whatever it is. Determinedly hoping that a good night's sleep will whup it.

No exercise today. So far, clean eats. And working on remembering that eating junk will not make me feel any better. Aaarrrggg.

The talk about excuses hits home. My overriding excuse has been lack of time. But Geez Louise, I finally realized that I always manage to find the time to do other things that I want to do. And if I could find the time to do them, then I certainly could find the time to work out. Sheesh. I am embarrassed to admit how old I was before I figured it out.

Regarding protein powders ... you just have to experiment and keep in mind that it's a case of different strokes for different folks. One thing that seems to help ALL of them is COLD COLD COLD water (use ice) and good blending. For what it's worth, I like Myoplex Lite these days. You'll find lots and lots of recommendations if you go through previous threads, some of which are even labeled "protein powder recommendations," or something.

Cheers.
Closed Thread