Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 05:54 PM   #181  

Meg,

forget bathing suits! If I was as lean as you I would be nekkid all the time LOL

I was actually looking at bathing suits in the store today and HAPPY about it! (despite still being WAY too fat for wearing a bikini!)

I am determined to eat super clean this week, and Im going to try for extra intensity on my 20MAS tomorrow! Week 10 (i think! lol ive lost track) and only 2 weeks till final pics! must "give the iron" as they say here in Sweden

My thoughts and hopes are with all of you with family and friends overseas. Until yesterday I was sure a close friend of mine was there also, but he is stationed in Washington at the moment (much to my great relief). Big hugs to all of you and Im sure your loved ones have extra angels watching them right now.

Tidey
Old 03-23-2003, 06:43 PM   #182  

Default Chelly...

Quote:
I keep wondering if this is the right plan for me. Should I be doing something else to try and lose fat first and then when I am no longer as heavy then start on the weight lifting?
From my own personal experience, I'd suggest you stick with BFL.
When I first started losing weight, I was following Weight Watchers, and I shyed (sp?) away from lifting because I didn't want to compromise pounds lost on the scale, but as you get further into this, you'll realize how meaningless those numbers are. Just to give you an example of this, I have only lost 2 pounds on the scale since Christmas, but I'm down almost 2 pant sizes. People keep asking me how much more weight I've lost, and are disbelieving when I tell them that I've only lost 2 pounds in the last 3 months.

And if you've got a lot of weight to lose, you'll be SO thankful later on that you not only kept the muscle you already had, but built even more. I lost a LOT of lean muscle mass when I initially started losing weight (lots of cardio, combined with very little protein will do that for a gal :-) - and I'm *just now* getting to the point where I feel more comfortable in my skin, but know that I still have a long road ahead of me.

Although lifting may *seem* counterproductive to your overall goals, you will be *so* much better in the end for having started early on. (And all of the muscle will help you to burn off even more fat!)

-Colleen

263/183/who cares!
(beginning weight/current/goal)

24/26 / 12 or 14 / 6
(beginning dress size/current/goal)
Old 03-23-2003, 08:09 PM   #183  
Banned

Default Catching up a bit...

I LOVE all the pics!!! You guys look great! What amazing women you are!

How many of your DH's are in the military here? I keep seeing more mention of it and have lost track...4-5? More? I pray everyone's loved ones stay safe.

Terry, I can be my own worst enemy if I allow it. I have quite a few knock-down-drag-out fights with myself! Luckily, the "good" me generally wins!

Yes, I do like living here. I'm not originally from Lakeland but I've lived here for over 17.5 years. It's big enough that I'm not bored, but not too big & it's close to the major attractions, too. I was born in PA and grew up in Green Bay WI and Park Forest IL. The Civic Center is great. I enjoy going to concerts there. When did you live here?

Mel you can almost squat 300 lbs? I wanna do 300 lbs. squats, too! Wow, that is amazing! You're one strong Lady!

Was it you who said you do leg press with a spotter so you can go very heavy? I would love to try that but after a certain point don't you need like-2 spotters? If I run into trouble at my highest weights on the leg press, I just don't think I know a trainer who could keep it from coming down. That's why I haven't asked for one; I don't think it would do any good. Or am I missing something?

Don't dwell on the things that didn't go right this week. Think about the positive things you're doing now and will do in the coming week. If I let all the negative stuff going on in my life get to me I would be in serious trouble. When things go wrong, it's very important to seek out the good things in your life. (reading what I wrote, I think it sounds like just a bunch of nice words, but it really is true) I hope you got some quiet time reading. You could use some relaxing time!

I'm in the same place as you with my lifting-doing it alone. I'd love to have someone to workout with and talk with about face-to-face.

Jamie, you asked if there's anyway I can workout in the mornings or on my lunch? No, not really. I get up at 6 or shortly after to get ready for work. Getting up earlier is out of the question because I don't get enough sleep as it is (my biggest abyss). what with having to wash my hair after working out, I'd never make it. I only get 30 minutes for lunch and need it to eat & my gym is on the other side of town near my apt., so that wouldn't work. I think if I make out a plan when I get my schedule for the week, I'll be ok. I think I'll get used to working and be less exhausted (hopefully).

You lived down here too? Wow! I agree, Clearwater Beach is beautiful!

Wonderbra bathing suits...I figure I'll be shopping for one in a year or so. I seem to lose a cup size every year. I'd really rather keep what I have but somehow I don't think that's going to happen!

Karen, I read your comment about Free Day, planning & not feeling guilty and I completely agree. I always enjoy my treats 100% and don't feel any guilt about them. If I felt guilty afterwards it wouldn't really be free!

Sandy, you're doing great!

Jayne bellydancing sounds like so much fun!

Adriana, how are things over there? Stay safe! I'm keeping you & yours in my prayers.

I think you've had a great week if you have been eating clean with all that is going on. That's not easy!

Mindi thanks for the MayoClinic link & for the butt crunch idea!

How's your jiggly fat? I agree with the others; it is most definitely a good thing!

Susan!!! OMG, your accident sounds awful! How are you doing now? It sounds like you're in good spirits for what you've been through-and very determined!

Sel, periodization interests me! I have been looking into it and if I could do UBWOs right now, I would be doing a periodization workout. Which one are you planning to do?

Karen & Meg, congrats on your post-surgery progress! I'm watching closely & taking notes. I'll be asking lots of questions. One of these days when I have more than two cents to rub together, I'll be going through what you are now.

Meg, you're my hero! I hope I can look that good someday! I love the "big clothes" pic! I wish I'd saved some of mine!

How much did your feet shrink? Mine have gone from 7.5E to 6.5 or 7B. I measure 6.5 but most of the time 7 feels better. I took a lot of good, barely worn shoes to consignment. All of my shoes are mules (except my gym shoes). I can wear them longer when they're too big! I need to get some "regular" shoes though, one of these days.

Ilene, it sounds like you had a great time with your friends! I can feel that big grin of yours coming through the monitor! Way to go Muscles!

Susie, I like Title Nine's things-in the catalog at least! They are supposed to great!

Ebe, I'm sorry you injured yourself! No advise to offer, but I hope you're feeling better soon!

Welcome ChellyBella! What a wonderful promise you've made to yourself! I was scared and seriously overweight, too, when I started my journey! I was worried that if I continued, I'd end up in a wheelchair. My feet were always in pain. Yesterday I took the stairs to my Mom's apartment 2 at a time and remembered when it was a struggle to get up them at all.

I agree with Colleen. Don't wait to start lifting. The muscle that you will build is what will help you burn fat the fastest-and it will reshape your body too! I wish I had been lifting from the start of my weightloss journey!

A quick lok at your menu tells me you are probably not eating enough.

Thanks for all the good wishes about my cousin. We haven't heard anything yet. They didn't release any names. Hopefully he wasn't there, but it was an officer's tent that got hit so it increases the odds that he was there. I'll let you know when I hear anything.

I've got good news & bad news. I didn't get my legs workout in today because it has been pouring all day! My only way to the gym on Sundays is my bike. I don't work tomorrow so I will get it in tomorrow as well as one later in the week. The good news is ALL my measurements are down and I lost 4 lbs. this week! As unbelievable as it sounds, considering the huge amount of food required for Cycle 3, I'm actually hungry after feeling stuffed for most of the first 2 weeks! I guess my metabolism is kicking in! My clothes are starting to get a little loose.

Time to get cookin' the next meal!

Deb

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 03-23-2003 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-23-2003, 09:07 PM   #184  

Default DEB

I read that it WAS a Cpt., but his name is Christopher Scott Seifert. You said Chad was your cousin, correct? I am sorry for Cpt. Seifert's family.

Yes, my DH is in the Army. However, is in a class at the moment and not in the Gulf. I think he'll be a Peace Keeper when all is said and done. Thanks for the well wishes.

Susie
Old 03-24-2003, 10:13 AM   #185  
Peace with body and soul

Hi everyone. I took a bit of a sabbatical from the computer this weekend. I also avoided the news as much as possible, I don't know about you all, but the war is draining me, so I can only imagine how all of you with enlisted family and friends feel. My heart goes out to all of them and you as well.

I hope to get some time later today to go back and have a good read and catch up w/all of the weekend posts, I myself did well this weekend, got in a couple strong workouts, ate well. I managed to start incorporating a little more 'good' fat into my diet which I hope will kickstart a bit more fat loss. I noticed when I do eat more 'fat' my cravings for carbs tend to drop considerably, meaning pasta, bread, etc. I crave those a lot! I'm rereading the first Schwarzbein book and it appears that my carb cravings could be due to a lack of the combo of protein/good fats which are necessary to create serotonin and since the brain DEMANDS sugar and usually get what it wants, we often indulge in simple carbs because they are a fast way to get sugar to the brain. Sadly this effect doesn't last and by eating too much of a low fat, high carb diet, the domino effect takes over.

hehe I best stop before I sound like a freakin' textbook!

I had one fun episode this weekend..bf lives in the country and has pygmy goats and a pgymy donkey sooo he sent me to the local farm store to get them protein/salt blocks which I did. The salesguy had a **** of a time lifting two of them into my cart and I thought, damn they must be WAY heavy..so I went up to pay for em and the cashier asked if I could move em around so she could get the SKU and I thought oh right..so I tried to move one and voila! NO BIG DEAL! HAHAHAHA I moved the block easily and refused help to get them into the car. I figured they each weighed bout 50lbs. Picked em up and tossed them in like they were nuttin!

We strong women ROCK!
Old 03-24-2003, 11:07 AM   #186  
cac

Hello,
I have been lurking all week - wit no time to reply.

My heart and prayers go to all those who have love ones or friends in the military. It is a hard time for all.

Thanks all for the recipeis on the other thread, the banana bread is (was) great and the suggestions for the protein drinks , shure make them go down easier.

This is my first time doing BFL. I am begining to understand about peopls comments about getting tired of eggs. I am. I'll try some of the other suggesting soon.

I am allittle overwhelmed with all the people on the thread. It will take me awhile to figure it all out.

Hope all is well,

cc
Closed Thread