Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 11:08 AM   #46  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

Default Hey girls

Sorry I have not been in touch. Seems like forever since I last posted. Have not been doing so well, not eating clean and not working out very often.. Bneding over! Someone kick me please!
Thank you! Need to get motivated again. Have not given up though, so I guess that is a good thing. Also very sore, leg pressed 300 lbs the other day and thought well I can do this again right away. WRONG!! Did not leave enough time for my body to build back up the muscle I tore down. I had 301 lbs on, did 4 and was trying to do 6 but could not get the weight back up, thank God there were big strong men in the gym because I had to holler to them to help me lift it off. I was embarrased, but they told me not to worry about it, they have done it before themselves. They told me to take a break from the heavy presses for a while. The next day, I could barely move, my legs throbbed they hurt so much.
Anyway, I will just go a little easier and work myself up slowly again.
hugs to all
Virginia
Old 02-28-2003, 01:12 PM   #47  

Default new to group

Hello to all,
I'm new to the group and hope I'm doing this right. I'm on
my 6th BFL challenge and am looking around for some inspiration.
I've hit a low point right now with my excersice and my life. I feel like I know most of you just from lurking a few days and reading past posts. So I feel like I should introduce myself.
My name is Jonda and I'm 38. I have 3 kids and we are living with my husband in my mothers basement while searching for a house. I have lost 50 lbs so far on BFL and my hubby has lost over 100. Some of you may know him as Rich on leanandstrong.
I'm really glad I found this place!

BTW someone posted a link to a site that sold fragrances that smelled like cookies and poundcake? I can't find the link and I lost it. Could whoever posted it send it to me? I would really appreciate it!
Old 02-28-2003, 01:44 PM   #48  
Mel

Default Hi Jonda!

Hi there Jonda! I was so sorry to hear about your break-in and the circumstances of your move. That must have been terrifying for you and your kids! (I'm an L&S'er and a big fan of your hubby.) Have you found schools and a gym? Getting out of the basement for workouts would sure brighten my spirits. Can't help with the "aroma" links- just sniffing would get me in trouble. I do get food scented candles sometimes- vanilla buttercream and pumpkin pie spice really make the house smell nice. Not sure I could handle a chocolate chip cookie dough candle, tho. I might eat it flame and all.

Welcome aboard- feel free to vent, we are a little huggy-feely here than at l&S. I'm sure you're living situation must be difficult.

mel
Old 02-28-2003, 01:59 PM   #49  

hi everyone,

i am still alive! i doing fairly well with my vacation recovery period....as i am calling it. i cant get my bed out of bed like i used to but i am still at the gym before work. so, i am proud....eating is ****. i am making better choices but its freaking girl scouts cookie time....UGGGG!

other than that, i have made a food budget...so, i just go to costco and buy that big bag of chicken breasts, CC, brown rice, fish, and frozen veggies....and that's it...so i am forced to eat healthy...its the only food in the house...and since there is little room for going out to eat on the budget....its a good thing!

have a great weekend!
jilly
Old 02-28-2003, 02:12 PM   #50  
Natural Health Educator

Default hey folks, i am still around

Hi everyone...it has been ages since i dropped in...well, i have been lurking about, but haven't posted since late last summer! Anyway, i am still hangin' tight, and feeling strong!

For those who don't remember me, I am from the US but living on a lovely island off the coast of South America with my DH & our Kitty-Cat. (DH has a job here but is also from the states.) I have been active most of my 30+ years, though have struggled with my weight due to an endocrine disorder since my preteens. Last February I discovered BFL and the benefits of weight training, something my mother (who is 60+ and has worked out with the BIG boys at a World Gym since her 40's) has always said is the ticket to health...And she was right because during my first two challanges I lost over 10% of my body fat and learned to love STEEL.

The past winter has been difficult, didn't have internet access at the house, still don't, but aside from lifting I managed to get a new business off the ground. (I make and sell handcrafted soap) and that has left me beat! I gained a bit of the weight back, but since December I have rededicated my self to Body Building, have attemped to eat clean (even packing up 5 days worth of take out meals in the freezer so i can work without falling prey to the deep fried food seen as a staple here in this part of the world,) and making time for cardio at 5am 5days a week. I feel great.

I wanted to say hi to everyone, and say that it is nice to pop back in after a 7 month haitus and see everyone still so dedicated!

Karen, WOW! I think it is great that you took the plunge. Looking forward to hearing how it all heals up.

Mel: That itchy thing...i had a reaction like that about 4 years ago that I could never figure out...that was until my nutritionist asked me about my vitamin consumption. Turned out that my multi and B stress vits (both were food based and highly bio available) were overloading my body with NIACIN, hence what she termed a Niacin Flush... I used to turn beet red, get all hot and itchy, and basically I looked like someone had slapped me across the face...Not sure it that is what caused your problem, but since you ate the same foods and it didn't reoccur, i thought i might offer you my 2 cents...

Anyway ladies, glad to stop in and I will try and not be a stranger...

Caio!
Meow
=^..^=
Old 02-28-2003, 02:12 PM   #51  

Thanks for the welcome,
Yes the breakin was pretty scary. I think half my problem is I haven't slept well since. And my kids are stressed! But yes I got them in schools, and they went to these schools a couple of years ago so they know a few people which helps.
I found a gym, it's strange for me because I've always worked out at home. But it was kind of fun watching other people. I'm having a BIG problem with the food situation. My mom keeps her house stocked with candy, soda and junk. Now I'm trying to cook fat free meals that my parents will eat and it is sooo hard. My kids will probably gain a lot of weight while we are here, they think they are in junk food heaven! LOL
But things can't get worse, so I guess they will get better from here. I'm just having a down day, I'm usually not so depressing I swear!
Old 02-28-2003, 07:49 PM   #52  
Ilene the Bean

Angry

Hey Gals

Jonda – Nice to meet you... I post at L&S too and was looking at your profile just the other day when your hubby mentioned that you had finally posted a profile and how proud he was of you.... and with good reason you’ve done an awesome transformation...

Hi Meow... Nice to see you again, and that your are doing so well...

Mel – the itch thing when Meow mentioned the Niacin, it clicked that my mother’s best friend got a reaction to that vitamin this winter and gave them to my mom, so my mother took some and within an hour bam she was red in the face and itchy all over... My mom’s friend said: “Give them to your daughter she may not react to them..” Mom threw them away... whew!! I would have probably thrown them out too... Last night with the bread and margarine thing, I hate white bread, I have no idea what got into me, and actually it’s probably because I let myself go 4 hours without eating... NOT a good thing girls... I tried Pam’s brownie recipe, I must have done something wrong because they were positively awful, I was sooo looking forward to eating them too everyone was raving about them at the L&S board... I just looked up Kent’s Brownies, I found Kent’s Chocolate Muffins... I’ll try those tonight...

Jiggly – hi there nice to see you back...

Shelby – I ate enough granola bars for you and everyone on this board... even the newbies... I can be such a looser sometimes.... Today I was a bit of a “food looser” (is there such a thing as a BIG and small looser??) But the difference was that I didn’t loose control and was able to stop myself... It seems that when I have a free day it always ends up as a day and a half, before I can gain control over myself again... I’ve got to work on that one...

JEC – you sound so organized... How do you do it??

Karen – take your time, but I’m a fine one to talk I’d be back in that gym so quick your head would spin... When I had carpal tunnel done a few years back I was in the gym within less than two weeks. Or gosh, a long long time back I had a laparoscopy done and was doing crunches within 3 days...

Adriana – Hope your spirits get on the up and up very soon... I good one week break wouldn’t be a bad idea...

Niffer – Miss our chats too!! You gotta get MSN Messenger!!

Kelly, Ledom, BethO, BethV, Mox, Carrie, SusanJ ....
Old 03-01-2003, 12:31 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 206/175/145

Height: 5'4"

Hi Jonda -- glad to see you here. It looks like BFL is going great for you, as well as for Rich. My husband does BFL, too (we're TeamTigger on L&S) and his parents are now BFLers, also. Maybe you can get your folks involved -- and make it healthier for your whole family. (Before BFL, our 70 lb. son visited his grandparents in Des Moines and gained 6 lbs. in a week!)

We just did a big chicken breast grilling -- 3 grills full of several kinds -- it's fun to have so much fresh food. We're both increasing our protein (me for Cycle 3 of Body Rx, Brian for his own BFL variation), so we'll see how we feel about chicken in a few days!

Hope everyone's doing great!

Carrie
Old 03-01-2003, 09:46 AM   #54  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Default Jonda,

I just checked out your profile over on L&S. WOW! What an inspiration. Sorry to hear of your recent difficulties but you're on a path to getting things straightened out. Best wishes and good luck to you.
Old 03-01-2003, 11:08 AM   #55  

Woo Hoo! Down 8 lbs of scale weight. I'll be starting C1W6 Monday.

I haven't finished measuring yet-I'm thinking I must have been retaining water. The week prior I wasn't good about getting all my water in, and last week I was. It's just weird how that works.

I had a very pleasant suprise on Thursday. I've been really bad about about doing my cardio on my in between weight training days. Anyway I 'felt' really out of shape cardio wise and chose one of my Richard Simmons tapes. Now none of his tapes have ever gotten my heart pumping-big waste of time-it was this time as well. So I said the heck with him (I am going to get rid of his tapes-they suck) and went for my taebo tape. I have never been able to finish the long workout for my taebo tape-huffing and puffing, sweating like pig, muscles in my legs cramped out big time. WELL this time-no problem. I scooted through that tape like I have been doing for a year! Woo Hoo!! My breathing was elevated, I sweated a little bit, and I got a light workout on my muscles. Hehehehee I'll use it until I buy a bike. I decided that I am going to buy one of the recumbent ones and start doing the HIIT training cycles for real.

One of the really weird changes this week is that I've actually been fantasizing about running again. I think it will be a definite go when I get to a much lighter weight-I know my knees wouldn't take it right now.

Thanks for all the good advice about the recipes. I'm not sure what a cooking powder protein would be though.

Anyway a post and run sorta thing-I just had to share.

Wishing everyone a great weekend.
Old 03-02-2003, 01:40 AM   #56  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Hello all,

Welcome to the newbies.

It's Sunday and I am just taking a quick break from studying to say hi (I have mid-terms next weekend) Life is still a barrel of laughs but the stress is starting to ease a bit. I shed a few tears on Saturday morning after the tension had got to me but I am doing fine now.

Mel: Busy as always - you know me too well! Soccer is going well. We had our last game of the summer season last wednesday and finished number one premiers. Semi-finals are on Wednesday and finals on Sunday. Then I get 4 weeks off before training for winter soccer starts. Games start in mid-april. So that gives me a bit of time to start up some long distance running to get my endurance back up to winter levels!

Lana: Organised?? I guess so, the organising isn't the hard part - it's the follow through and getting enough rest and not getting stressed out that is the hard part. Sometimes when I stop and think about how much I do on a day-to-day basis I freak myself out! I try not to think about it too much. Having my IPAQ helps though and also a dependable husband!

My news: well we bought the house I was looking at the other day. The difference with this house (I have 4 now for those who aren't aware) is that it will be my home in about 2 years time. We are trying to pay off as much as possible before we move there so that we can extend it as soon as we move. It's very lovely and is on the Sunshine coast which is in Queensland - quite tropical. That's mainly why I haven't been around much here lately. Also I have mid terms for University coming up and work has been totally mad! But I am not complaining.......

I hope that everyone is doing great! Back to net present value calculationss for me!

JC
Old 03-03-2003, 08:00 AM   #57  

S/C/G: 163/163/149

Height: 5'7"

Hi All -

First of all, Jonda, welcome! Hope your search for a new home goes well! Mamawren, we're on the same schedule - C1, W6, D1! Congrats on powering through the tape!

Hi everyone else - Lanaii1, tried your chicken spices recipe with my roast chicken Friday pm, it was fabulous! Forgot how great a roast chicken makes the whole house smell! I'd tried a meringue recipe from the L&S recipe index - yuck, tasted like nothing but artificial sweetener. Will try some more recipes this week and let you know my 'reviews' - making that great baked sesame chicken recipe tonight...Mmmm.

Things are going well here - my DH is finally getting EXCITED about the program. He was 'going along' with it, mainly to support me, but now he's seeing and feeling changes in both the Pants-O-Meter and in his upper body size, so he's a convert. Yahoo - it's so much easier when we're both keen.

Carriej, you and your DH have made it a real family affair - any tips for newbie BFL couples in supporting each other?

Scale weight has stayed spot on this week with about a 5 pound loss, but its TOM so I'm not too bothered. Have changed over all my weights workouts this past week, have pretty well worked out the kinks and have started hitting lots of 10's.

I'm finding this way of eating, and shopping to be quite expensive. Any tips from you senior members on keeping the food budget reasonable? We're buying mostly whole unprocessed foods - chicken, tuna, salmon, eggs/egg whites, ww tortillas, lean beef - and a couple of supplements (protein powder, glutamine, a box of protein bars/month). I think my food bills have doubled in the past month. Anyone else find that experience?

And yes, I think it shows there's something wrong with our food system in that it costs more to eat well than to eat crap. Enough politics...

BethO
Closed Thread