Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 09:29 AM   #1  

Default cardio- is interval/high-intensity the best?

Hello all!
I recently started BFL and I have a few questions about the cardio portion. Bill Phillips advocates intense, efficient 20-minute workouts first thing in the morning or on a fairly empty stomach. I find that when I try the former, I can't really achieve very highly. I don't think it's as much the lack of fuel as it is the general grogginess of my mornings, but whatever the case, I can't really do do the 20 minutes at levels 5, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 6,..., 10. And unfortunately, mornings are usually the only time I can go to the gym.

My question is, is it all right if I do the cardio at a lower intensity. Say, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 7, 4... and do more reps? I don't mind spending even twice as long as Bill Phillips' plan; in the mornings I'm usually quite free. If the purpose of cardio is to burn calories/ fat, I think that it might be all right, but Heaven knows I'm no professional. I'd certainly try to build up my endurance, it's just that sometimes I can't even reach a 9... it's depressing and even if I manage to complete the session, I'm thoroughly enervated- all I want to do is shower and go back to bed!

Evenings are better. Too bad I can only make one cardio a week around that time. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 02-28-2003, 09:35 AM   #2  

oops when I said that I'd still try to build up my endurance, I meant my intensity endurance as opposed to being able to stay on the bike for 90 minutes...
Old 02-28-2003, 11:30 AM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Everyone's '10' is gonna be different...(for some reason there seem to be a lot of folks out there who equate a '10' with either going 10 mph on the treadmill, or using the stepmill at a level 10, or whatever...

Now as far as time of day/empty stomach or not...well...I'm a morning person and I can't exercise with food in my belly personally. A lot of folks at L&S recommend that if you exercise any time other than first thing in the am, that you do it two hours after your most recent meal. To me, that's pretty darn close to an empty stomach anyway.

Have you tried drinking a cup of strong coffee or something with caffeine in it before your workout? That might help with the grogginess.

And your question as to whether HIIT (high intensity interval training) is better than long moderate cardio - I would say in my experience, an emphatic YES. Most of the latest research (and quite a bit of the older research) supports this. Call it "20MAS", "Guerilla Cardio", "Wind Sprints" or "Fartlek" - HIIT is definitely IT IMO!
Old 02-28-2003, 04:49 PM   #4  

I cannot imagine wanting to be on the d*mn bike or tread for longer than absolutely neccesary heh

I DID make it up to 11km/h for my 10 on the treadmill today! Personal best!

I think my fav. part of BFL is the 20min cardio heh

Tidey
Old 02-28-2003, 06:42 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

OMG 'Poo that is fast....that is 6.8 mph!!

Congrats...
Old 03-02-2003, 12:35 AM   #6  

wow... I'm keen impressed!
when I do the treadmill I don't really exceed 8km/h, but I brisk walk on quite a high incline, between 10-14 degrees.

Personally, I'm not trying to lose very much weight. I'm 5'6" and am currently around 125lbs, but am quite fatty(did I just violate some rule of the English language?) at 31%. I'm also quite weak, especially my upper body. So I really just want to build muscle, gain strength and reshape my body... plus lose just a few pounds(hey, I'm 17, okay? ).

Tangibles aside, being an ex-eating disorder victim, I'd like to gain self-acceptance and develop a healthy relationship with food- a little voice inside my head to tell me that food is *primarily* fuel. Good luck to me!

Only done two UBWO so far, but there is a slight difference in my arms! I can feel SOMETHING on the inside of the upper arm when I flex!
Old 03-04-2003, 07:14 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 163/163/149

Height: 5'7"

Hi Lore -

Welcome! I was at my gym last night around 4 pm and was AMAZED to find that half the people working out were 15 - 18 years old. Fabulous! You're so lucky you're picking up on the whole weights thing at your age - by gaining muscle you can avoid the whole diet mentality that defeats so many older women.

I work out in the late afternoon, but as per BFL book, time my last meal 3 hours before, and then eat again an hour after. Seems to be working fine.

I'm really starting to enjoy my treadmill intervals - up to 7.0 mph on my top speed! Yes, that's fast, I'm usually such a plodder.

Cardio today! Have a good one everyone!

BethO
Closed Thread