Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 06:10 PM   #16  

Congratulations Mrs Jim.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:31 PM   #17  
Uber-Moderator!!

Wink

Awww jeeez...you guys...

I can't tell you how many times I started to post...then stopped...to tell y'all about the surgery. But bottom line is - that if I can be of any assistance - then it's worth it.

I also wanted to dispel one of the 'myths' that even I was sucked into last year - "as long as you eat clean, work out, drink a lot of water and take your EFA's, your skin will shrink up." I gotta tell you gals - I wouldn't say I was depressed, but last year I was pretty upset that I was doing everything right and those stupid thighs and tummy pooch -- even though they were obviously getting smaller - weren't going away. Now after doing a ton of research, I know better...some of us (especially the ones who didn't start gaining bodyfat until their adult years) will shrink back alright, but others (like me - fat through childhood) who spent their childhood and adolesence fat (and that is the prime time when fat cells develop - and once they're there, they STAY there unless you have them sucked out) probably won't be as fortunate.

Kind of reminds me of a quote from Laura Fraser's book "Losing It" when she was interviewing Susan Powter (remember her?):
Quote:
"Susan Powter does not look like a genetically fat person who's lost weight," observes C. Wayne Callaway, a George Washington University endocrinologist and obesity expert who sees a lot of fat people in his practice. "She had one event in her life where she gained a lot of weight; those people lose it more easily. Someone is 260 at 18 years of age is not going to get down to her weight. It's grossly misleading."

I asked Powter over breakfast whether indeed she had been fat as a child, which is a good way to find out whether it's in the genes. "I wasn't morbidly obese as a child," she said, picking at her salmon. She went off on a rant about yo-yo dieting, gaining and losing 20 or 40 pounds, eating lettuce for four months...

"When you were 5 or 6, were you fat?" I interrupted.
"I was a normal kid," she replied.
Right now my bruises are fading rapidly (yup, been using Arnica - both the gel and the pills). I still have to wear the 'garment' for another couple of weeks - but I'm used to it now. I get swollen if I sit for long periods of time at my PC - so I get up and walk around a bit, or lie down with my feet up. Tomorrow I definitely get the stitches taken out - I have about six tiny incision areas where the cannula went in - and then I'll talk to Dr. Clark about when I can start hitting the gym again - she initially said three weeks which would be March 3. I must say that she was VERY impressed by my overall muscularity - she said once the swelling goes down and I start working out again that my legs should be lookin' pretty darn good! (final results take 4-6 months to appear BTW).

I would say to any of you considering PS - or wondering about the status of that loose skin - to at least go for a consult with a PS. If you don't like the one you talk to at first, then find another one...make sure that he/she is Board-certified (the website is at www.plasticsurgery.org ). Even if you wind up never getting the surgery, at least you will KNOW what your options are...

Can't wait to hit the gym again!!! OH and next plans are for a Tummy Tuck in 2004, God willing Don't know about the boobs yet...
Old 02-25-2003, 02:17 AM   #18  

Default Karen !!

i really appreciate all the information that you have given us in the last couple of days.

i've known for months now that all my skin won't just disappear one day and i've also been thinking about the day that i can start looking for a good plastic surgeon. there are excellent ones here in israel (they have too much experience from all the terrorism!). i just hope that i'll be able to afford it one day

you just keep taking great care of yourself. i can only imagine that you're getting a bit antsy to get back into the gym. but you're such a smart cookie that i know you won't rush anything !

all the best to you Karen !

adriana
Old 02-25-2003, 03:12 PM   #19  
ebe
noob

what an interesting story mrsjim
definately thank you for sharing it with us.
you've worked so hard you really deserve to look the best possible!
i hope your recovery continues to go smoothly, i do hope we get to see some after photos on your website one day!
Old 02-25-2003, 07:00 PM   #20  
Mel

Default oooooh am I sore!

Changed my split this week and new exercises. Pass the glutamine!

Also have gone back to basically BFL eating- I think trying to stay on a comp diet indefinitely is impossible for me. The binges it caused and the obssesive despair are not worth it. Hope this works, cause after this, I'm out of ideas.

Tomorrow am I'm having my basal metabolism tested. I can't eat or drink anything, or do anything more strenous than get dressed, and drive to the gym (ha- they haven't seen the way I drive!). Then I sit and breath quietly into a machine for 20 minutes. I don't know how accurate this is- but it's worth a shot.

Nice to see everyone come out of the woodwork. We just need someone to drop a bombshell every Monday morning!

mel
Old 02-25-2003, 08:54 PM   #21  
Ilene the Bean

Angry

Hi girls

Mel -- Did you say you were going to be a bombshell by next Monday? Or that you are going to be next one to drop the bombshell on Monday?

I don't have time to post very long, (vor a change) but just had to put my $0.20...

Later all...
Old 02-25-2003, 09:10 PM   #22  

Default BAHAHAHAHAHA

Mel you crack me up! Lana too!

Well, I did cardio today and felt great - until about 4:30 when I swear my eyes started slamming shut. I went upstairs and fell asleep for an hour and I am still tired. I think I know why - not eating enough. Yesterday I had only 3 meals a far cry from the required 6. Today not a good choice for meal 3 today either. Met with a lender for lunch and he's buyin' so we go to his fav place. Great food, just nothing authorized.

Workouts have been great. Nothing knew other than.......well, nothing.

See ya, Susie (Bombshell By June! )
Old 02-26-2003, 06:17 AM   #23  

Talking

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I woke up this morning, and it seemed like I had less A$$ then I remember, so i tried on a pair of low-rise leather pants that I bought (sale!) that I could never do up (far cry from it, actually)

THEY FIT! I nearly cried!

Im wearing them now, and Im not taking them off. Ever. lol

So whatever obstacles present themselves KEEP GOING!! Yesterday I felt huge and today my pants fit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love everyone!

Tidey
Old 02-26-2003, 07:28 AM   #24  
Ilene the Bean

Tidey, your post made me so happy..... I saw your updated profile at L&S and the great progress you've made... But then I read on L&S that you weren't happy with your progress... Now here I read that you are happy.... So you musta posted that before trying the pants....

Quote:
So whatever obstacles present themselves KEEP GOING!!
Ain't that the TRUTH!!

Have a great day, whick I know you will now!!

Will post again later... I'm off today... I love to be off !!
Old 02-26-2003, 08:15 AM   #25  

Lana,

I felt like I couldnt see any real tangable results, but then I tried on the pants! I really couldnt believe it!

I guess we're always our own harshest critic eh?

Tidey
Old 02-26-2003, 09:19 AM   #26  
Mel

Default Wednesday (I think)

Me a bombshell? Somehow I don't think so....
Last night I had my third bizarre alergic reaction in a row- first 2 nights were hives then last night my lips swelled up and I lost my voice. I took 2 benadryl, and am still walking around in a haze. Didn't try to lift this morning- WAY too dangerous in this condition. If I'm not more alert this afternoon, mya have to take a day off and shift my split this week. I have no idea what I'm having these reactions to- nothing has changed! Boy, if I've developed an allergy to egg whites I'm in BIG trouble!

Tidey- CONGRATULATIONS! That's great! You're right, we are our own harshest critics. Sometimes it's deserved, but usually not. I can't wait until I'm comfortable again in the pants I was wearing 2 months ago.

Niffer- Go eat! on 3 meals a day, I feel like I'm going to keel over. I don't know how I used to exist on my 1 meal a day diets.

Karen- How are you doing? You must be going stir crazy from no gym. I had the BMR test this morning. The numbers came out right where I thought they'd be- so depressing. At rest I burn 1340 cal/day, 1750 with all the exercise I do. He said that is 1% higher for my age than someone who doesn't exercise at all. Usually heavy lifters (women) with this much muscle come out 5-8% higher. The meds I take may be contributing, as well as history of yo-yo dieting and anorexia/bulemia. Suggested I have bloodwork done next time I see my doc ( which is usually never) but didn't think it was low enough that it would be classed as clinically low. Just harder to shake the last 10 lbs. Which haven't shook for almost a year now.

hi everyone I didn't address-
gotta go pack food, go to work and try to stay awake!

mel
Old 02-26-2003, 10:29 AM   #27  

Angry hi guys

good to see you all here.

Niffer - EAT !! i'm with Mel.... i wouldn't make it with only 3 meals. don't let your body be hungry like that or else it'll turn around and kick you in the butt !!!

Mel - YIKES ! that's also scary i hope you get to the bottom of this allergy reaction real soooonnnnn !!

Tideypoo - that is just SOOOOOOOOOOOOO cool !!! it really does happen all of a sudden many times !! i had that about 10 days ago and i've felt wonderful ever since. you're absolutely right JUST KEEP GOING !!! it all pays off in the end, doesn't it?

Lana - how are you lately? hope your family is good too

i'm feeling a bit down-trodden lately with this horrible weather. my 10 year old just isn't used to being this housebound and it gets on her nerves too much, and in turn she gets on our nerves. a lot of sibbling fighting has gone on this week i'm praying for better weather tomorrow so i can just throw her out into the street !! she'll be one happy little girl.

today is legs day -- YIPPIE ! don't really know why i love it so much, it's so painful but i DO love the pain then, because i didn't make it to a morning workout, i'll do some good cardio to make up for some of the lost time.

now, if i could just figure out exactly when to go to the gym today a business meeting kept me from my morning w/o -- i might just have to go late this evening.

hope you're all having a good day!!

take care,

adriana
Old 02-26-2003, 10:31 AM   #28  

Yay, tidey! That's great to hear. It's so hard to see progress on ourselves, so rock on, sister!

meliris--that happened to me last year. For some reason last fall, I had several allergic reactions to [i]something[/]. I would break out in hives and be all itchy. I would get these huge welts. I have know idea what it was from and it went away mysteriously as it appeared. It was weird. And Benedryl sucks. I hate that stuff.

Yesterday, the kids were home from school due to freezing rain. It was my cardio day and I made myself walk on my piece o' crap treadmill. Yay, me! So for the first week, so far, so good.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:51 AM   #29  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Good morning!

Well, got my stitches out yesterday! My PS said that as soon as the bruising is completely gone I can start working out and riding again! YIPPEE! So I'm really doing the Arnica and Vitamin C big time. I'm still waking up early though, so it shouldn't be such a shock to get back in the swing of things. I AM going nuts without the gym though - the other day I was at Draeger's and ran into one of the 'regulars' who said I was missed! I just told him I was recovering from 'female surgery' (just because I told YOU guys doesn't mean I want my whole GYM to know )

Tidey - I know the feeling so well. Now it's time to hit the mall, right??

Mel/Shelby - actually my legs have been itchy, itchy, itchy - especially last weekend. My PS recommended Benadryl - the reason for the itching (in my case anyway) is the nerve endings healing themselves. The thing with Benadryl as I found out this weekend is that it knocked me out big time - but hey, I needed to rest anyway! But it DID stop the itching.

I guess I'd better look into that BMR test after I get back in the swing of things. Was it the BodyGem? That does seem really low, considering how much you work out - I would think you'd need more calories rather than less. Oh well...

Gotta get back to work - more later I hope
Old 02-26-2003, 12:29 PM   #30  

Woo-Hoo Tidey!! I wouldn't want to take them off either!

I hope you find out what is making you react Mel.

I'm happy that you are healing so well Mrs Jim.

I'm am still hunting for those 10's. Had a ho hum lower body workout today. For some reason nothing is tasting good. I've lost my appetite. I keep gagging everytime I try to eat cc or tuna or the myoplex. I've been eating fruit and veggies and forcing bites of protein. I'm guessing I'm either on the verge of getting that flu, or my body is protesting the clean eating.
Closed Thread