Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 01:01 PM   #31  

Thanks EVERYONE for your kind words and celebrating my new pants (party in my pants? hehe) I wont be buying any new clothes until June-ish cause 1) Im poor and 2) Im going to Canada to visit my family (clothes are cheaper there)

Im just so happy today, AND it helped me work extra hard for my 20MAS and ab boot camp!

Mamawren, I hit the "food" wall a while ago, and it has passed. Go over to www.leanandstrong.com and check out the healthy recipies section. There are some muffin recipies that just might save your life!

I dont really like straight CC anymore either. Try incorporating it into other recipies (mix with celery and a hard boiled egg and use as sandwich topping, blend it smooth and add it to tomato sauce for creamy pasta sauce [my favorite!])

Make a "hamburger helper" recipie with your tuna. Just modify and keep it as clean as possible. I found that the closer I eat to "normal" food the happier I am. CC and apples doesnt do it for me anymore.

Hope this helps!

MrsJim, YAY for you! Glad you're on the mend and we cant WAIT to see the results!

Tidey
Old 02-26-2003, 01:03 PM   #32  

Default I know, I know!

I'm eating already! Thanks guys. I knew that was the reason I was feeling like crap. So, last night I could not sleep. I tweaked my right leg somehow and every time I take a step, it flops down and a little out to the right. Strange. I took some Tylenol and went out on the couch - then to the kitchen for a few bites of ice cream, some crackers w/ Nutella on them and 4 strawberries w/ choc syrup. Then right to sleep. I never have cravings when I eat clean and all 6 meals !! Hmmmmm, back to planning planning planning for me!

Karen~ nice to see ya. Hope you're doing well.

Tidey~WAHOOOOOOOOOOOO for you! I just knew something like that would happen to you soon! It's so cool, id'nit?! It happened to me, and I didn't even realize it! HAHAH - I just thought my jeans were stretched out! What a dope I am!

Mel~Sometimes chicken will make me itch like that (swelling of mouth/lips) sometimes, it's swiss cheese or celery of all things! Can't figure it out. Maybe it's what's in the chicken - you know all the crap they inject them with. Have you changed brands, perhaps buying a different brand on sale? I guess the next step is allergy testing? Good thoughts heading your way.

See ya - Suz

Last edited by Niffer; 02-26-2003 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:41 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 206/175/145

Height: 5'4"

Hi, everyone!

It's just a few days until I change "cycles" on my Body Rx eating plan -- then I'll need to eat more protein and fiber, and less starch. Lifting changes a little, too (more sets and reps per set), and I'm still trying to get over that flu-type virus that's been going around and catch up on my current lifting.

I haven't weighed or measured recently, but some friends at the gym today thought I had lost weight while I was out sick. It's actually just eating clean (unlike last month!), since a cough and sore throat didn't affect my appetite much. The new body Rx cycle should also help burn more fat too, so hopefully the pants I wore in November will fit again soon.

Tideypoo -- Congratulations to you on fitting into your leather pants!

Mel -- I hope you figure out what is causing your allergic reaction. It's probably something you eat fairly close to when the reaction occurs -- try eliminating those foods, especially ones you don't eat at other times during the day. Also, the swollen lips and throat involvement are sounding like the kind of thing you need medical attention for -- just want to make sure you stay safe!

Hope everyone is doing great!

Carrie
Old 02-27-2003, 07:16 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 163/163/149

Height: 5'7"

Hi All -

So much going on on this board - progress going on all over the place! I was musing the other day on what makes the BFL program different from other programs, and I think it's the 12 week time frame that makes the difference at least in the beginning - we FINALLY accept that it's going to take 12 weeks to see a significant change in our bodies. So many programs try to measure results on a day-to-day basis, which is completely impractical and misleading, to say nothing about frustrating.

Mrs. Jim, glad to hear your recovery is progressing well.

Tideypoo, great news on the pants-o-meter. I'm lurking over on L&S, too, you're definitely on your way!

Carriej, what's BodyRx?

Week 5 this week and all's well. Working on new routines for UBWO and LBWO - didn't hit many 10's yesterday on my LBWO, will have to change it up some. I miss my squats! The quad machine just ain't cuttin' it! I'm starting to feel more and more like every workout counts - like I can feel the 'finish line' looming, and I want to walk out of every workout feeling that my muscles have worked their little buns off! Anyone else?

Mamawren, I have to double what Tideypoo said - spend some time downloading some cool BFL recipes and check them out - I've been going back and forth weekly between chicken/rice and hamburger/potato combos to keep things interesting. Also working on doing BFL versions of tastes we like - like stir fry, Mexican roll ups, shepherd's pie, pastas, etc. Tomorrow night I'm going to roast up a chicken and make some mashed potatoes and roast veg - Mmmm.

Mel, hope you track down your allergy trigger, don't know anything about food allergies, can't even guess.

Hope everyone has a great day!

BethO
Old 02-27-2003, 08:04 AM   #35  
Mel

Default Thursday

Whoo-hoo! Cardio done, and I'm done for the day. Thursday is my mini-rest day, just cardio. Ended up going back to the gym yesterday afternoon and did chest and quads with my occaisional trainer- he near killed me yesterday feels great! I was still a bit dopey from the benedryl and he get making cracks about letting drunks in the gym, but aside from getting lost going between pieces of equipment, I felt strong and had a good workout. Not sure I would have without him tho, since mostly I felt like sitting in the leg press and falling asleep Luckily, no allergic reactions last night, and I ate EXACTLY the same foods I'd had the day before just to see what would happen. I guess I should go get allergy tested- hives are annoying but swelling lips and throat can be dangerous.

Beth0- BodyRX is another program writeen by Dr. Scott Connelly. It's broken into cycles of different eating patterns and lifting. You start out with a fairly high level of starchy carbs in a stregnth building cycle, and progress thru dropping starchy carbs and upping protein and fiber as you move thru the cycles. No cardio is required. I tried it very briefly, and it was not for me, but my friend Laura, who sometimes posts here as "semmens" has gone through all the cycles and done spectacularly. Maybe she'll pop in today and answer your questions. There is also a BodyRX board on L&S.

gotta go-
mel
Old 02-27-2003, 10:56 AM   #36  

Hi again everyone!

Everyone sounds like they are doing well. Mel, I must say that your journey is inspirational. I've known you a while and I know you have struggled now and again but you keep on doing it. Thanks for that.

Karen, glad to hear you are progressing nicely! I'm sure you will have spectacular results. I am actually considering facial plastic surgery (or something) because I am starting a legal career at the age of 46 and feel old enough as a "young attorney". I have a couple of consults with SF drs in the next few weeks. I will definitely be a TT candidate (and probably lipo on the legs) when I get close to goal. Thanks for the inspiration (as always).

Adriana--I love legs day too. I don't know why but it's the favorite workout.

Tideypoo: the pants-o-meter is the most trustworthy vehicle. Congrats on a milestone!

Everyone: Thank you all for the nice thoughts and wishes. My son called me from Boston yesterday and he is settling back in. He sounds very happy to be home. I am both sad and happy that he is so happy if that makes any sense. It is tough to not be able to see him every day and know he is okay, but the loving thing to do (as a parent) is sometimes the hardest thing to do (let them go). My emotions are a bit ragtag but he's okay and I'm getting back to what was once my life (fully moved back into the office).

I went to see my doctor yesterday as I am still struggling hormonally and had some medical issues over the winter BUT he thinks I am doing well. I saw him in November about a month after my son's ordeal because I was having heart palpitations, skyrocketing blood pressure, spiked cholesterol and stress related hair loss (I cut my hair from waist length to shoulder length because of the loss) and other things that were probably due to the stress of dealing with Michael's medical stuff and trying to study for law school finals and exhaustion.

This week I had several tests done, including a stress test, and he prescribed new hormones and said I am doing WELL and everything came back looking good and I am OKAY to take on a more strenuous workout. During the fall bootcamp, I was trying to cross train and had been swimming two nights a week after weight training and he wants me to start with walking and swimming (which I have been walking 2 miles a day over the past 2 weeks anyway) and I can start weight training but he wants me to start lightly and build up.

I feel like I am always "beginning again" since I first did BFL in March 2001 but I don't think there is any other option. I LOVE working out and I LOVE when I am in the groove. The biggest groove I was ever in was right before that dreaded day in October so I want to return there.

To the newcomers: BFL and Body building is the greatest. I have had numerous personal and medical struggles over the past 2 years but I always return because it is so GREAT. I always feel so good when I am in complete compliance. So, don't mind me.

To the veterans: thanks for being here, once again.

Susan
Old 02-27-2003, 12:35 PM   #37  
Uber-Moderator!!

Susan - always great to hear from you! You go girl!

I don't know if you saw the other thread at the Success forum - but I would HIGHLY recommend the book "Two Girlfriends Get Real about Cosmetic Surgery". It's a fun read with tons of info. Hey, if you want a facelift, why not? I say go for it, girl! Maybe you can get away with just Botox for now. Read up on it - you might find the book in your local library system - then you'll be all prepared with questions when you see the PS. Glad to hear that your son seems to be doing well. I know you miss him but I bet you're glad to have your 'normal life' back, eh?

I am so jealous!! I miss the gym so much - I started massaging my legs to speed the healing process with a little hand-held massager from Brookstone (recommended by Dr. Clark). I massaged Jim's back with it and now HE wants one to keep in his desk at work... And my scars are healing quite rapidly as well - Dr. Clark just took the stitches out two days ago and the scabs have already fallen off - gotta tell ya that Mederma gel works wonders too!

Leg Day is my favorite workout too, but obviously I'll have to take it kind of easy - instead of going right to squats, I'm going to use the leg press until I'm more confident. And of course I won't be doing 600 lb leg presses or 200 lb squats right now...since I haven't worked out since, OMG, the 9th of Feb, I'm sure I've lost a lot of strength...If the bruising keeps fading as rapidly as it's been doing this week, I'm thinking about hitting the gym and doing VERY LIGHT cardio (we're talking walking here!) and some upper body lifting...

Jim still won't let me do any 'real' cooking...last night he had Kraft Mac & Cheese...he could probably eat that stuff every night of his life if he had to without a whimper! As for me, the easiest stuff to make is eggwhite-based - protein pancakes, or "skillet" dinners. You know I use those frozen Potatoes O'Brien and Southern Cut Hash Browns - they're basically just taters (with just a trace amount of dextrose). I just put them in my little nonstick skillet with some frozen chopped onion and spray with Pam, then let them cook, add some sliced mushrooms and/or baby spinach, then stir in the eggwhites (I do 4 eggwhites + one whole egg for a serving) and lots of pepper (gotta keep the sodium down right now due to swelling otherwise I'd use Molly McButter too). Yummy and filling!

A shout out to y'all before I get back to work...aaghh...
Old 02-27-2003, 02:06 PM   #38  

Cool beans, Mrs. Jim! I bet you haven't lost that much strength and I'm sure you'll gain it back very quickly.

Hey, is lowfat ricotta cheese okay to eat? (I hope). Mixed with some splenda and a dash of vanilla it is quite tasty.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:20 PM   #39  
Uber-Moderator!!

Thanks Shelby

Dunno about that ricotta cheese question - what are the stats? (I just don't care for the texture - too grainy for me...eyw).
Old 02-27-2003, 03:11 PM   #40  

per 1/4 cup serving: 60 cal, 3 fat, 2 sat fat, 20mg, chol, 150 mg sodium, 3g carbs, 2g sugars, 7 g protein

thanks!

I'm just looking for different proteins to eat cuz I hate, Hate, HATE seafood!
Old 02-27-2003, 06:35 PM   #41  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Hey guys,

Sorry that I haven't been around much lately. Life has been chaotic to say the least and it ain't over yet! I am glad to hear that everyone is doing well and Karen - you seem to be healing up ok which is great!

Just a quick one for Mox: I don't manage any of my own properties I have various property managers in each state that take care of them. The cost is minimal compared to the peace of mind it gives me. It's quite 'uncommon' in Australia to manage a property yourself but I believe that our costs are different to the US. Anyway I am trying to build a portfolio so I don't have the time or the inclination to do the day-to-day management stuff. HTH

Well I am off - I have to go sign some mortgage docs at the bank!

JC
Old 02-27-2003, 08:00 PM   #42  
Ilene the Bean

Hey girls

I can't believe it's the first time I get to my computer today!! I'm getting CWS (computer withdrawal syndrome )

Today food wise was NOT a good day... Firstly, I had to work... Secondly, I ran out of CC... Thirdly, I let myself go 4 hours without eating, and then I ate, here goes, drum roll please.......

THREE not ONE, not TWO, but THREE slices of white bread with margarine on it... then, MANY, MANY, MANY, chocolate chip granola bars.... so now I feel like a and a , I actually feel like the whole farm....

The sugar has gotten to me too, I've been yawing like crazy...
Ok, I've vented I feel better, now I will drink water for the rest of the evening, and go get some CC for my last meal tonite...

The one good thing was I had a great workout this morning, thank goodness for small favours....

Thanks for listening, Survivor is on, and I'm a grougie for that show....

Later...
Old 02-28-2003, 01:52 AM   #43  

Thumbs down hey guys!

it's sooo good to come on to this board and hear the familiar voices and terminology !! i'm on another weight loss board and it's a bit different when not that many people do much weight training. they are a wonderful group of people, but it's a bit different than here.

anyway........ glad to hear that everyone is doing fine.

Karen - good for you and your recovery !!! i'm so impressed with all that you've been able to do lately

JEC - you amaze me ! build up a portfolio girl !!! too cool

i've been a bit down these past few days. i can't figure out why..... i'm just starting to think that it might be that 7 week down that a lot of people experience during the 12 week program.

Lana, i can completely relate to your eating fest yesterday. i didn't over-do it, by a long shot, but i did eat some really strange things. i actually felt better afterwards; maybe this is all hormone related and the chocolate i had yesterday fed the problem!!

i decided not to do my workout today. i want to take today and tomorrow off, re-group and start out strong again on sunday. i'm very happy with the way my body has responded to this Boot Camp of mine. i'm not exhausted like i thought i would be. i am thinking of switching up next week though, just not to over-do it. i'll think about it over the weekend. maybe *by the book* BFL is the way to go now for the next 5 weeks.

i gotta go and start organizing this disaster area called home. i've been too busy and/or apathetic lately to do anything around here and now i'm paying the price.

take care everyone,

adriana
Old 02-28-2003, 08:34 AM   #44  
Mel

Default Friday

Ugh, more snow. 2 hour delay for school which messes up my workout schedule. Now I have to be at work the same time as ds has to be at the bus stop. I got up early and did cardio, but have to get in a back and hammie w/o somewhere. May end up doing it tomorrow. The winter stinks! I'm soooo sick of it. I refuse to shovel that stuff, sooner or later it's got to melt!

Susan- So good to see you back, and that you're heading back toward that groove. I don't feel very inspirational, other than sheer stubborness, but thank you. I have had struggles and don't really feel I've made significant progress in the last year and few months, but as I said a few weeks ago, I've discovered there are worse states to be in than "lack of progress." Right now I feel I'm just getting back to where i was in November. Feeling good about it, tho.

Lana- Ooooh baby! you had a time in the kitchen last night! Boy, have I been there. Don't think I would have bothered with the bread with margarine, tho. I'd have gone straight to crackers with cheese or chocolate or... well, you get the picture. have you tried "Kent's Brownies" recipe on L&S? I make them with an extra 1/2c cottage cheese and 1/2c fiber 1 cereal. I also Use 1/2c. agave syrup instead of spenda (can't stand splenda), and it make 4 perfect "meals" for me. Perfect for the last meal when you want something slightly decadent. It takes like a cross between brownies, bread pudding, and cheesecake. I imagine splenda would make it a bit sweeter, but since I don't eat much sweet stuff, it does it for me!

Adriana- You sound totally burned out. When was the last time you took a whole week off instead of just a day here and there? It sounds like the funk I got into when I went about 18 weeks on Camp PB without a break.

Shelby- I used to love ricotta, but I don't think it has enough protein for the amount of calories you get. I'd need to eat 3/4 -1 cup to get my protein, then add a carb, and it's pretty high. Course, I have no idea what your targets are or your current weight, so it may be fine.

Karen- I'm sure your strength will come back really quickly. Don't rush it, but I think you'll be surprised at what your muscles remember after a few workouts. Just get that glutamine ready for the first couple

JC- Glad you could check in, I was just thinking of you yesterday. You sound busy and exhausted as usual! How's soccer season going?

Ok ladies- gotta scoot,

mel
Old 02-28-2003, 10:43 AM   #45  

meliris--re: ricotta cheese. I want to lose about 35 pounds. I carry a lot of muscle and just need to lose the fat. Or in other words, I want to be able to get into my size 3-5 pants that have been collecting dust in my closet for the past 5 years!

adriana--sorry you're down. I get that way sometimes to for no reason and then have a good cry and feel better. And I hear you on the house disaster. I look at my kitchen and think, "eff it". I wish someone would invent a dishwasher that automatically puts away the dishes. That's my least favorite job in the world.

Lana--I hope you ate some of those granola bars for me!

Okay, i really need to go try out my clorox wet mop and see if it works. Blech.
Closed Thread