Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-23-2010, 07:44 AM   #151  
Mel

I think our CF trainers are reading Kim's blog!!!!

Here is today's WOD:

"Tabata Tuesday"

Tabata Row

Rest 1 minute

Tabata KB Swings 35/53

Rest 1 minute

Tabata Push-ups

Rest 1 minute

Tabata Box Jumps 18/24

Rest 1 minute

Tabata V-up

The Tabata interval is 20 seconds of work followed by 10 seconds of rest for 8 intervals at each station.
Tabata score is the least number of reps performed in any of the eight intervals. Unit for the row is "calories".

I will sub something for the box jumps. My knees are about done in and I am leaving for a ski trip next week.

I start the new job March 15. Right now, my commute is great! 8 minutes. That's hard to give up

Have a good one!
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:19 PM   #152  
Workin' It

Hi all!

I have been reading but not posting... Shoulder and arm feeling somewhat better, bad posture still makes upper arm hurt. I feel improvement every day though, so I'm giving it a couple more before doctor. DH is having some eye surgery tomorrow, so I just can't get to the doctor for myself anyway... Thanks for the good thoughts guys!

Tabata.. Wow, I hate them... Love them.. No, really hate them. I do them often in my kickboxing and end up feeling all mushy and lifeless.

Mel - That commute change is going to be tough. New job will be great though!

Birch - I have been wondering about you. You have been fighting sick for a long time. Hope it turns soon.

Alena - me, I want the snow on Monday so I can stay home. But that might not work where you are. Good luck with the laptop decision.

Kim - I dig your blog. And your abs.

Susan - I hate burpees, but they sure are effective...

Good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:26 PM   #153  
Working My Way Back Down

I'm back after 3 days away and 3 days that got away from me - just doing "activities of daily living" which of course include the gym. I had 3 days at a quilt retreat which was tons of fund. Food was fairly awful, so I had no trouble with it. They had lots of salad at every meal - whew. And a TV so we could watch Olympics (but no internet).

Did a LBWO yesterday, and UBWO today and will do zumba tomorrow morning. Thurs I rest, and Fri/Sat get a whole body routine and cardio, don't know which is which yet. Sunday is rest again. Good thing as I have tickets to a play with 2 GFs in the afternoon.

I'm really enjoying the Olympics, but they're on at a reasonable time here! Over by 11 pm. Speaking of which, they come on in 1/2 hour and dinner isn't even started!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:44 AM   #154  
Mel

Welcome back, Pat Funny when awful food is a good thing

I had what may have been my worst day of work ever, and spent the afternoon thinking about a raid on the grocery store (for an unmentionable amount of chocolate) then gorging at home instead of going to Cross Fit. Somehow, I managed to drive straight to CrossFit (the stores would have required a detour) and a CF friend grabbed me and made me stay there and do the workout. Thank heavens for friends!

We are bracing for another huge storm here- this time I don't think I'll be there hero digging out and going to work.

BTW, Tabata Tuesday was quite a workout. There are 2 approaches to that kind of WOD:
1) go all out from the start, and barely make it through the last round
2) set a reasonable pace and maintain it through each round.

There are advantages to both, but this time I did the second option. It doesn't push you metabolically to your absolute anaerobic and exhaustion limit, but it does make for a satisfying workout

Mel
Old 02-24-2010, 08:58 AM   #155  
Workin' It

Mel - I'm so sorry you had a terrible day at work. Trouble with the merger?

I tend to approach the Tabata from an 'all out' standpoint, but I've never done more than thre in a set, and all three were different, not much other exercise. If I were doing that CF workout I would probably opt for the pacing!

Pat - welcome back! Glad you enjoyed your retreat. The Olympics are kind of reasonable here, not ending until a little after 12. We've made it to the end of the prime time stuff most every night, until last night. Went to bed at 11:15 in prep for DH's eye surgery this morning. I haven't started your PN workouts yet with this shoulder mess, I'm hoping to get into them next week. Well, I'm actuallly sort of dreading starting them, but am looking forward to it in that crazy way. Do the reps and sets change from week to week on this round?

Really terrible about that Dutch speed skater disqualified last night. I would be out of the world mad at that coach... I know that things move fast, but that seemed like an obvious error.

Sitting waiting for DH at the eye doctor. Didn't go back with him - I'm kindnf worried actually. He hates anything touching his eye. Hope it goes well back there.

Good day all.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:45 AM   #156  

Hi all,

Shannon - thanks for mentioning the dutch speed skater ....AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

I'm on a conference in california with an 8am - 9pm program. I did not make it untill the end yesterday, fell in bed before 9pm. But I've delivered my paper so i can lean back and enjoy for the rest.

to everyone,

Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:05 PM   #157  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I'm watching a hockey game ... I already know who wins

Did anyone see Cynthia Phaneuf skate last night? Holy beautiful back!!! I wish I could find a picture of her opening pose. Fabulous!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:45 PM   #158  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I read about the Dutch speedskater in the paper. Sven Something ... right? I think his last name started with K. Yeah, I would have strangled the coach with my bare hands, it seemed silly to disqualify him when he did nothing wrong. Terrible.

I ripped out a power supply from a long-dead old PC at work and brought it home. In spite of not having all the right connector pieces I managed to connect all the important components and got my PC working again on the first try. Woohoo! It has been a while since I played with hardware big time and built my own PC from scratch. I kinda miss the old times when you could spend half a day configuring the jumpers and still not be able to get it right LOL.
So I am operational again and I can copy my HDD. My photos are really the only thing I care for, it would break my heart if I lost pictures of my dogs, especially those at the Rainbow Bridge.

I am not allowed any weight lifting for a while (orders from today's therapy session) after the last attempt threw my lumbar area out of balance again. I am sick of being all broken up.
I am getting on the treadmill (just a power walk) and then I will watch some TV.

I have to say, it feels goooooood to be able to get online again and pay some bills!

Mel,
Sorry to hear about yet another storm. We are supposed to get 5 cm tomorrow, another 5 cm on Friday and another 5 cm on Saturday. That is quite manageable in such small doses but I would not want to get that all in one dump.
How long will be your new commute? Full TEN minutes??
I thought you were staying with the same company?

March is around the corner - yay!!!!

Alena
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:07 PM   #159  
Working My Way Back Down

Shannon - the sets/reps increase each of the 4 weeks. But I'm liking the 4 days lifting/2 days cardio/2 days active rest schedule. People my age need a little more rest! Went to Zumba again this morning, and forked over the $$ to up my membership. It's only $20 more a month, and 2 Zumba classes would be $16, and now I can take any class - yoga, pilates, body pump.....

Rabbit, welcome to this side of the pond. I'm not surprised you were so tired. It takes me several days to acclimate to another time zone (well, any over 1-2 hours).

Alena - great job on the PC repair. I did IT Support for several years, and I sometimes wish I'd kept up better. Still, I have no hesitation to digging into things.

Okay, I'm having dinner with 2 GFs in an hour or so, and I need to go fold laundry before I go.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:09 PM   #160  
Mel

Good job Alena! My hardware skills pretty much consists of making sure all the power cords are actually connected in the right place and that the machine is plugged in. Dh is the hardware guy around here. Our first PC was literally built on a old linoleum tile in 1977. His favorite present ever was the wire wrap gun I bought him once :rolleye: And my commute will be 10 minutes to the train station, then a 35 minute train ride if I catch the express.

Shannon-What is DH having done to his eyes? Hope all went well, whatever it was.

We are hockey, hockey hockey here. Except for dh's strange fascination with curling. *(Oh well, he's Canadian... ) How in the world did that ever get to be an Olympic sport???? Currently watching the Canadian NHL vs. the Russian NHL.

I did kind of a place holder workout today. Got through it, not really into it. I just feel blah. My current manager is trying to keep me in my current position for another month before he "releases" me and I'm alternately in hysterics or deep depression. According to HR, he can request I stay for up to 2 months if the new manager agrees. I hope she hangs tough.

Mel
Old 02-24-2010, 10:05 PM   #161  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Speaking of Place Holding..

Mel: So many transitions right now. I'm sending you all the strength I have to spare. :

Shannon: So glad to know that the shoulder is feeling a little better. Don't mess with it though. If it seems to linger, get it checked.

Alena: IMPRESSIVE. Flat out impressive. (fixing your hardware needs) DH is the Techno God in our house. Quickly followed by the crowned princes currently tucked into their beds. Really sorry that you've been grounded from lifting for the time being. Is it the problem with the SI joint?

Cheryl: How are you doin' over there? Ready to climb the walls yet (no and I don't mean it as part of the WOD.) Hope all is going as best it can for your current challenge. I keep thinking about the Paleo thing but right now I just can't make the commitment.

Workouts are going well. I'm doing this really cool walking plank thing where I move seven 5lb plates lined up in a row from left to right. When I get to the bottom I walk it back up. Problem is I'm getting serious friction burns on the bottom of my forearms. Need to tape them or find some sort of sleeve.

Food is okay. Could be better but I'm maintaining. I'm reluctantly taking my head out of the lifting/training books and blogs and back into this relocation project. Time to get busy again.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:57 PM   #162  
Workin' It

DH had a chalazion cut off of his eye yesterday - basically a stye gone bad. It had swollen up to about the size of a pea at the base of his eyelid. The eyelashes had fallen out around it and everything. His turned out to be on the outside of the eyelid, not on the inside where most of them are. They cut into it, cut a piece off, drained a whole lot of gunk out of it. He is pretty swollen and sore still today, a little blurred vision. Hoping that when the swelling goes down the bump is actually gone - I've read about some that still have the bump even after draining. He will not be happy if that turns out to be the case...

My shoulder is better every day. Only minimal aching in the upper arm today - it seems to get more noticeable as I get tired as the day goes on. My deadline is the end of this week - if I don't see a change by then I got o the doctor. Or the chiroracter. Or both. Which scares me a little...

No exercise yesterday - I stayed home with DH and took a rest day. Planning a run at the park, unless the wind is still high. Treadmill and some shoulder work otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
But I'm liking the 4 days lifting/2 days cardio/2 days active rest schedule. People my age need a little more rest!
Pat -that adds up to 8 days per week... maybe more rest is a good thing...

Rabbit - enjoy your conference!

Alena - good job getting your computer back running. With my dad & DH both being computer guys I have cables and components in boxes all over the house. Haven't had to use any of them in a while, but I remember piecing a PC together out of junk from several others before... Sorry about your exercise limitations. Take care of yourself...

Mel - hope your new manager does hold strong. Being stuck in the current place for 2 more months would be hard. I accidentally tuned in curling the other night while I was folding the laundry. Went to the wrong channel for coverage and it was the boring one... I lasted ten minutes before I had to change it. Now, the Simpson's ep where Homer and Marge made the curling team, that was funny. Real curling, not so much...

Lydia - I can't even visualize that exercise you are talking about, but the friction burns are kind of scary. So of course I'm going to have to try to find a video so I can try it when I'm back to 100%.

Good day everyone!
Old 02-25-2010, 07:22 PM   #163  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Pat -that adds up to 8 days per week... maybe more rest is a good thing...
Um, yeah, it does. Shows you what my math skills are like. In reality, I'm lifting 3 days a week, cardio 2, rest 2. TOday is a rest day, and a good thing too. My hips are sore from Zumba.

It snowed here all morning, about 4" total, but very slick in our driveway as it was all ice. I'm staying in all day, but DH has gone out to the gym. He leaves on the 13th for a week long hike in Marble Canyon, which is at the NE end of the Grand Canyon. He gets very serious with his cardio before these hikes. It includes running up and down a 5 story staircase in his hiking boots several times a week! Today he's "just" running for an hour on the treadmill.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #164  
Mel

Quote:
I'm doing this really cool walking plank thing where I move seven 5lb plates lined up in a row from left to right. When I get to the bottom I walk it back up.
I'm having a really hard time putting this together. Picture please! Lydia, I thought you were romping around Costa Rica in that lovely dress When do you leave?

Ugh, Shannon that sounds horrible for dh. I hope he is feeling better and the lump is gone. Eyes scare me.

Pat- I need 8 days in a week, too!

I was nearly in a huge pile up coming home from CrossFit tonight. I was on a really snow slicked road and didn't realize how horribly slippery it was. I had a stop sign at the bottom of a slight hill, and the the traffic to the left and right had no stop sign. When I stepped on the brakes, absolutely nothing happened except a little bit of skidding. There were cars going across the intersection in both directions, a car stopped on the other side of the road at the stop sign, and a telephone pole in a snow/ice bank on each corner. Somehow, everyone managed to miss me- I don't know how- I had ZERO control over the car. I was waiting to get hit from the left and the right and hit a phone pole in the front. I'm still amazed that no one hit me and somehow I turned the car onto the other road, missing all inanimate objects! I was shaking so hard afterward that I had to just pull over for a few minutes.

Mel
Old 02-25-2010, 09:12 PM   #165  

Yikes !!! Mel that is scary!!!
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote