Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-06-2010, 06:03 PM   #46  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Actually, a lot of people lost power. Over 100,000 people don't have power or at least didn't earlier today.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:52 AM   #47  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia227 View Post
Dang

Hope no one loses power during this storm.

....meanwhile Pat's over there thinking "amateurs"
....meanwhile Rabit's overhere thinking "WHAT??? 3 FEET???"

(From a country where 2 inches of snow will give national weather alarm...they will then air the official message to not go into traffic unless you have serious business to do so)

Pat is probably laughing her head off since most likely you all got her snow!

On another note:

Another believer here in the "a clean house is vastly overrated" section. Lydia, you don't want your sons to grow up with a seriously impaired
a) immune sytem (never challenged by household dirt)
b) value system (that mums are here to pick up what you drop)
Right?

DS actually learned to clean his own room once every couple of months.

Everyone in the snow..stay warm!

Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:30 AM   #48  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up Beck Diet Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rabbit View Post
How is Beck working for you? WTG on the wo and pantsometer.
Thank you for asking. I've been reading through the (pink) book for 32 days now. (The Beck Diet Solution: train your brain to think like a thin person. Judith S Beck.) And I've lost between 8 and 10 lbs.

It's interesting how Judith Beck (daughter of Aaron Beck, founder/inventor of cognitive behavioural therapy) has systematised much of what maintainers say and do. Plan ahead. Stick to the plan. Other stuff.

I'm pretty good at carving out time for myself in the headlong hurtle that seems to be our lives during term-time. But what reading through this book is doing is carving out for me ... let's call it 'study time', for want of a better phrase. I'm taking time to look systematically at what I've learnt about weight loss from hanging around 3FC for years but without the rest of the (interesting) chatter which goes on here.

So reading the Beck book and incorporating some of the ideas in it seems to have given me time. Time in a very busy, often over-tasked world. I was already writing a menu for the week. Now I am planning food for the day. But the most powerful thing for me concerns eating when standing up. Don't. You eat quite a lot like that. And I have been, for years. So I've written a response card (that’s a Beckian tool) which reads: 'When I feel like eating standing up, I'm going to find a seat and sit down.' I wouldn't say it's an ingrained habit yet but I haven't eaten standing up for 30-odd days.

Much of the book doesn't speak to me much. I don't have cravings, for example. And I find some of the language a bit alien. I cannot get my mind around 'mindset' although, intellectually, I know what it means and I could probably use it plausibly in conversation.

Some of it is downright useful and gives reasons, on the page, for comments which are thrown around like 'take your time to eat slowly', 'think through what you are going to do in ... situation', ‘try only to lose 5lbs at a time’.

This past month has been slightly out-of-the-ordinary for me. I’ve been ill. Too much coughing, achy joints, pounding head and all the rest have meant little to no exercise. There was a lot of snow at one point. I’ve got a lot of work and a deadline. Things are likely to change in the next fortnight. I’m getting better. Exercise is being added back into the mix. And the deadline will have passed. So let’s see how I do when life is more ‘normal’ during the next month or so. (Although I am away for 10 days or so from Wednesday.)

There’s a Beck Diet Solution forum on 3FC if anyone’s interested.

Good for me for getting this far (giving credit is another Beckian tool). I'm feeling pleased with myself. I've got the makings of a fit, strong body (viruses aside) and a healthy future seems easily within my grasp.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:48 AM   #49  

Hi Birch,

AWESOME results!!! I'm glad to hear that the Beck seems to be resonating with you. I learned a lot from Beck, including the use of the cards etc, but I did not manage to follow the entire Beck way and put it into a workable system for me at this point. I did manage to pick up a few good things tough, like giving credit for what went well.

Good luck on the next month, and stay healthy!

Rabbit
Old 02-07-2010, 09:51 AM   #50  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Birch: I'm so glad that you are able to set this time aside to reflect upon your weight loss journey. Find a sunny window, brew some green tea, and write it all down to remind yourself how awesome you are for those days when the world tries to convince you otherwise.

Lots to do today. Attempted to get on my bike for a little cardio this am but was called back to duty for breakfast. I got a half hour in with a couple of warm up intervals. Better than nothing. Best keep the eating squeaky clean today.

Tomorrow its back to the gym. Thank God. Four days without a workout and I'm a little (There must be a hormonal cause for this...anyone well versed in this...)
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:08 AM   #51  
in development

Hormones? Sorry, Lydia, no idea. Have you tried wikipedia?

Thank you, rabbit and Lydia, for your kind words. It's all a day at a time, whilst keeping a weather eye on the Big Picture.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #52  
Workin' It

You know, I've noticed I feel sore and stiff when I am cleaning house too. Unless I can time it after a workout, but who has time to clean and workout in the same day? Yes, perfectly clean house definitely overrated.

Lydia - I notice that I feel whacked out crazy when I miss a few days of workouts, too. DH has theorized that I'm addicted to the endorphin rush and feel withdrawal those days. Or that I'm just crazy.

Birch - I'm glad that Beck is working for your. Interestingly, when I first read your post this morning I was standing up eating. I promptly went to find a chair.

Rabbit - I'm saying the same thing as you - "3 feet of snow? WTH?" Thankfully that just doesn't happen here. A hard frost shuts us down...

Mel - I'm going to look up that thing your chiropracter was talking about. The shoulder pain is getting old. And yes, I've wondered if other people see our forum with all the injuries and tiptoe out without comment.

Nelie - hope you have power!

And all the rest of the snowed in strong women, hope you are all okay!

I have had a good few days, will post an update tomorrow. But, the high point - 13.34 miles at the park. Woo hoo! Go me!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:11 PM   #53  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia227 View Post
Dang

Hope no one loses power during this storm.

....meanwhile Pat's over there thinking "amateurs"
Not a word, I said not a word.

We had about 6" of snow interspered with freezing rain yesterday (what's up with that - it was 10F on Friday, 35F Sat, 10F again today). Shoveling was interesting - it had crusty layers. I was sort of stuck in yesterday til the street and my driveway got plowed. Fortunately the street guy was first, so the driveway guy plowed the berm left by the street plower. But I still haven't been anywhere, and it's just after 7 pm. I did get my office rearranged and all the paper at least sorted. I cannot believe how much paper - and catalogs! - comes into this house.

Too bad your DH had to leave early Lydia. I know it's hard living apart.

Friday night when I drove home from square dancing in ANchorage (in the snow) I tied my shoes too tight and now I have a horribly sore place on the top of my foot. I haven't tried gym shoes yet. (shoveling has been my exercise du jour this weekend) I keep expecting to see it bruise, but it hasn't. Weird, there's nothing to see,but it sure hurts!

I'm about to venture out to the grocery store - there's nothing fresh left!

Last edited by WaterRat; 02-07-2010 at 11:12 PM.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:58 AM   #54  

I had a planned rest on friday, did a wo on saturday, did no normal wo on sunday but did clean house for 4-5 hours, steam cleaning my kitchen fronts, utensils drawers, oven,microwave & windowsill. I got stiff and sore from it, so i call it a wo and another week OP.

Food has been bad. ever since I actually saw the lower scale weight there is a devil on my shoulder whispering "you can have this, you have already lost weight". This is a pattern for me, loose a couple of pounds & then self sabotage. I went through a rough patch at work last week (HRM would love to lay me off and tries every year, and I stupidly let this get to me) and also thought it was OK to medicate with food. So...this counted as an OP week, and in this new week no weigh-in, and back OP with food. Thanks silverbirch for reminding me of the Beck tools.

to everyone, stay warm!

off to see what the wod is, and what I can adapt from it.
Have a great day all,
Rabbit

Last edited by 4rabbit; 02-08-2010 at 01:01 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:51 AM   #55  
in development

Re housework and stiffness: I wonder whether it's because you don't warm up first. Just a thought. I say 'you' as I try to do none at all.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:13 AM   #56  

A clean house is vastly overrated
AND you are priming your boys immune system up to the gills

I OTOH had to clean because my parents will be staying with DD and DS at the end of februari as I have a business trip. Anothers filth is much dirtier than your own, so I cannot stick my mother with the mess of several months of neglect.

Rabbit

Last edited by 4rabbit; 02-08-2010 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:23 AM   #57  
Mel

After a weekend where exercise was dealing with snow, I'm dug out and ready to head to work. Guess what is supposed to happen tomorrow? You got it! MORE snow!

No formal workout since Friday. I have to admit that although I feel like a slug (and eating hasn't been great) my knees are feeling much better.

Silver- I keep saying I'm going to get the Beck book. Everyone who has read it says it is the most sane set of tools and very useful in examining and changing your own behaviors. I'll order it and add it to the huge stack by my bed.

Today I will attempt to get away from work at lunch and go to the gym, then do cross fit. Today is our deadline for a HUGE project- my part is done, but my boss is a horrible procrastinator and I suspect I'll be doing HER part most of the day until our drop dead deadline at 8 pm tonight

Rabbit- I have the same problem with the scale. Part of the reason I so infrequently weigh.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:40 AM   #58  
in development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
I'll order it and add it to the huge stack by my bed.
Nice to have a huge stack of books by the bed. Don't you find they attract dust?

Seriously, yes, get the Beck book and read it. Worth a go if it holds out even a glimmer of making things easier.

Good luck with your deadline. I've just made one and feel smugly virtuous.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #59  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Ahhhhh. I feeeel soooo GOOD! :

After four days of slugging around here with the boys,(yes we did go sledding and I did the snow cardio shuffle but it aint the same) I got in a wonderful two hour workout this am. No formal plan. Broke all the rules and just did whatever I wanted: lifted a few heavy sets, switched from lower to upper, a little reactive training, some yoga, foam rolling, running, interval cardio on the AMT and not in that order. Just took in my four egg white omlette with berries and ready to hit the shower. Why can't every day be like this.

Just for the record, I've come a long way from being the Martha Stewart of Housekeeping that I once was. Imagine, all the energy we put into our workouts...yep, I poured that into my house. Silly I know. You know how I know I'm better? Because I met a version of myself. I wanted to hug her and convince her of another way...but she just isn't ready for the message. Close. But not yet.

Anyway, hope everyone is enjoying the same sunshine I have here today. Very beautiful reflecting off the snow. Brace yourselves though. Mel is right, we got another six to eight coming within the next 48 hours.

Mel: Glad the knees are doing better. Not ignoring the fact that your workouts are demanding but do you find that this weather kind of aggravates them too. It can for me. Just a thought. Summers really are best for me.

Everyone else: Love to get that Beck book but I've got a stack that I actually intend to get through. (Duck and Run)
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #60  
No description available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rabbit View Post
A clean house is vastly overrated
AND you are priming your boys immune system up to the gills
I just really felt the need to quote this.

My motto is "I can do ANYthing, but I cannot do EVERYthing." A whole lotta people live here and they can all help out too. I've abandoned ANY sort of notion that I am soley responsbile for the condition of the house. My 2 little ones actually cleaned their rooms reasonably well. We're ALL busy, so we all get to do what we can. And at the end of the day, I'm not NOT working out so I can clean something that will get messed up again in 24 hrs.

The best thing for a family is a healthy mom, healthy of mind and body. That whole martyrdom schtick is for the birds.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote