Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-10-2010, 02:08 PM   #76  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Simulpost, Shannon!
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:29 PM   #77  
Workin' It

Birch - I missed your post! How are you?
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:56 PM   #78  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia227 View Post
Well Alena, consider it a Snow Removal "fire" drill. Was it at least a more relaxing morning once you realized you had a little more time before the official start of your day?
Yes, LOL. In fact, I roasted a turkey breast and that way I did not have buy lunch today (good for the wallet as well as the waistline). This happens only rarely that I don't anything to bring with me for lunch, I was too busy last night but I did prepare my salad.

In fact, I considered grouting the wall but I found out the grout is the wrong colour (I originally bought different tiles hence the grout was ivory) and when I decided to switch to subway tiles (white) I forgot about the grout.
Also, I considered doing cardio but since I was already showered I didn't want to shower again. So cardio will happen when I get home - I don't have to cook and I got new grout at lunch time.

Lydia, I envy you that you can order stuff online. Invariably, I always end up having to send everything back so I gave up a long time ago. So it was a miracle when I ordered my Zumba shoes from Zappos and they fit. (I miss my Zumba).
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #79  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

BTW, Pat, how did your Zumba class go? Did you enjoy it?
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:37 PM   #80  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Birch - I missed your post! How are you?
I'm OK unless I move, eat or speak when I cough and cough and cough. Thank you for asking. I'm not really civilised company at present! It can't go on - it's been 2.5 weeks!

BTW: not really sure what trail mix is except it doesn't sound like clean eating to me. Could you swap it for something else? I'm putting pineapple in salad at present. And the DB is on pistachios - it takes time to shell them & look for weevils.

Last edited by silverbirch; 02-10-2010 at 04:40 PM.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:58 PM   #81  
Workin' It

Trail mix can be somewhat clean, but not the ones I've been buying lately... The best for me one I get is a planter's natural almond, pistachio, cranberry & raisin. I had some left of another one with nuts, m&ms, coconut, raisins. Not many M&Ms, so not terrible, but I ran out of both of those and went to a different store to stock up. This led to the ones I'm eating right now that are mostly just junk. Graham cracker pieces, chocolate, marshmallow, chocolate covered peanuts, a few nuts thrown in to try to make it look healthier. I do have one with dried pineapple and cherries, almonds, walnuts. It isn't too bad - no added sugar. I need to just throw out the ones that are all junk...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #82  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

The only trail mix I eat is Trader Joe's raw mix. Basically a bunch of raw nuts with raisins. Of course that is the lazy me, I could also buy raw nuts and mix in raisins. We use it mainly for hiking.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:22 PM   #83  
Working My Way Back Down

Shannon, here's day 1.

Perform a dynamic warm-up, choosing a total of 3-5 lower and upper body exercises
1-2 per exercise

The numbers are sets, reps, rest time

(1a) Explosive dumbbell or kettlebell swing 4 10-12 :10
(1b) Lumberjack squat into calf raise and press 4 15 :10
(1c) Pronated-grip reverse push-up 4 AMRAP 2:00
(2a) Chin-up 3 9 :10
(2b) Vertical thrust 3 9 :10
(2c) Iron cross 3 9 3:00

It went okay, I had to cut back to 3 sets on the (1) exercises, and 2 on the (2) - shaky when I finished, but a hot shower and some food helped.

So, this morning I went and met my friend at Zumba (got the 1st class free). The instructor turned out to be someone I know, so that was good. And - trust me - you shouldn't do zumba the day after a workout with a fair number of squats. Boy am I sore now! Anyway, I felt like I had 2 left feet, but I pretty well kept up even if I wasn't doing exactly what the instructor was. I'll go to a couple more before I decide whether to continue. I will rearrange my lifting schedule though!

Lydia - I cut out diet soda and most other artificial sweetners about 6-8 months ago, and I can't say I miss them. I agree that Diet Coke/Pepsi does seem to call out for less optimal snack. I like the dress as well. I shop online a lot, but I do have to send stuff back at times.

Nelie - Wow, that's a LOT of swings! OUr gym has exactly 2 kettleballs. I use the 8kg one (the other is smaller) and really I could use a heavier one. I'm not comfortable swinging a dumbbell of a higher weight. I like the KB handles.

Feel better Silver! Hope you and the boy enjoy your trip.

Because I rearranged my workout schedule, I don't have another rest day til Sunday. Tomorrow is upper, Friday lower, and Sat cardio (because I'm going to be square dancing 2 hours in the afternoon, and 3 in the evening).

Have a good day all.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:47 AM   #84  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Hey ladies! Sorry I've been awol, but just been busy and not much brains when I do get some time to putz on the computer. Too many pages of missed posts to catch up on this morning, so I hope all is well where you are!

My update: I've been making all my CF wods Mon-Fri, taking Saturdays off since it's gym cleaning day, and if I do that morning wod, then I'm just useless and the gym cleaning takes twice as long. This week, however is my Level 1 CF Cert, so I have to clean the gym Friday night, but will have help. Not sure if I will do the Friday night wod or take a rest day before the cert. I'll just wait and see how I feel. Yesterday, I finally got the new printer hooked up and printed out the tome that is the CF training manual. Tried reading it last night, but it's about as exciting as watching a week-long chess game...I was nodding off by page 2. I've decided to take the "skim and read the bold print" approach, until I hit on something I don't know.

My boy (13 yo ds) has been attending the CFKids class/wod Mon/Wed/Fri afternoons. Being 13, he feels it's his job to hate everything, especially if his mom likes it (aka CF), so he pretends disdain, but I can tell he's enjoying himself, and there are about 5 other boys in the class this time, so he's made some friends there, which helps. I've not only forced the poor abused child to take a CFKids class, but I've also put him on paleo with dairy except for 2 cheat meals a week. He's looking for a more sympathetic parent, if anybody wants a 13 year old.

I've been eating clean and ditched the mayo I was enjoying with my meals, to try and lean out a little more...I think the mayo was just too much of a calorie jump so was making me stick and/or gain. It's only been a few days, but the scale is cooperating nicely.

I finally got to buy some weightlifting shoes, and tried them for the first time last night. Love them! They had some cheap ones for $150, or leather ones for $200, and I'm glad I got the leather. They are super comfy.

Update on the shoulder/biceps tendon problem: It is recovering nicely. I've been doing some overhead lifts and getting back to pull-ups, push-ups, and a little tentative work on the gymnastic rings. Still a little stiff and ROM is less than normal for me, but no longer feels like i've been punched in the arm, so what we've been doing seems to be working.

I'd better get off here. Morning workout with my favorite trainer, and he's promised to help me with my footwork for the jump & land on the push jerk, if I get there early enough. Oh, forgot to say, I chopped off my long hair. Ponytail is still bagged up waiting for me to have time to take a trip to the Post Office, but I'm loving the new shorter haircut. I went to a salon my friend recommended, and the lady was awesome with cutting curly hair (which is what mine is when it isn't long)..I also got it colored. The color thing is new to me, so I'm still getting used to that, but everybody says it looks good, and I look 20 years younger..I'm 40, so I'm saying, "how old did you think I looked before?!"
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:02 AM   #85  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Cheryl,

You could tell him we eat no meat, no dairy or eggs and lots of veggies, maybe he could come visit Good luck on your level 1 cert, I'm jealous

Pat,
I have a 25 lb and a 35lb KB I've been using. I discovered though that my body is going to resist even 5k swings/month. I'm super sore yesterday and today, guess I might have to build up to it It is also the fact that I'm trying to do my normal workouts as well.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:38 PM   #86  
Working My Way Back Down

Since my legs were still sore from Tues whole body workout and Wed's zumba, I switched the schedule and did the upper body today. Much better! Hopefully my legs will be ready to do lower body tomorrow - lots of squats. Here's the upper body:

#= Sets Reps Rest AMRAP = as many reps as possible
Perform a dynamic warm-up, choosing 3-5 upper body exercises 1-2 per exercise

(1a) Bent-over alternating dumbbell row 3 9 :45
(1b) Slight-incline dumbbell bench press 3 9 :45
(2a) Neutral-grip pull-up 4 AMRAP :45
(2b) Seesaw press 4 6 :45
(3a) Barbell corner press 2 12 :10
(3b) Barbell corner row 2 12 :10
(3c) Cable push-pull 2 12 3:00

It's a pretty good workout, and fairly quick, esp since I can do most of it in one area of the gym! I only have to move for the cable station. I take that out of the (3) rotation and do it alone at the end.

Since January was such an awful month for me, I didn't make a lot of progress on the program at all - though I managed to lose 3 lbs. So really I feel like I'm getting back into the routine.

Cheryl - good to see you! Glad to hear that CF is going well for you, and that you son is enjoying it as well - even if he won't admit it.

Silver - take care of yourself!

to the rest of you.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:56 PM   #87  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

@Cheryl, SHE LIVES! You sound like your doing GREAT!

To everyone else: Doesn't she sound like she's doing great?!
And my, you have been busy. K. I want pictures. NOW! Let's see the new haircut AND color. And SHOES! Love it, Love it, Love it.

And you have curly hair, how wonderful to set it free. Let us see the pics soon. Please?

CrossFit Cert this weekend. I was thinking about that and wondering if it was coming up. (word of advice if I may...take Friday off as a rest day) No, I have no idea what Saturday will be like but there is no harm in going in fully rested and charged. Best to want to walk in there ready to bust down the door with energy and enthusiasm. I'm so excited for you. Oh yeah, and training documentation is pretty dry across the board. Just keep reminding yourself why reading this is important to you and you'll get through it. Gosh I'm so excited for you. Please let us know how it goes.

Pat: You are artificially sweet free too? I'm such a slacker. Does the PN program encourage this as well?

Silver: Not being able to speak without coughing is a horrible situation. You must feel exhausted. Please be careful during your travels and get as much rest as possible.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:43 PM   #88  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Does the PN program encourage this as well?
I can't say for sure Lydia, but they discourage processed foods in general, and advocate a lower carb diet. What I do like is that they have no bad foods, only foods on a continum from less good to better to best when you have choices.....
Old 02-12-2010, 12:11 AM   #89  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/175

Height: 5'9

wow what a busy group!!
i enjoyed reading all your pages......you gals are inspiring!
I am still working on my 'workout' room...moved the furniture around, now to clean, and set up the weight bench, and maybe try to find a different corner/spot for the mammoth treadmill (its supposed to fold up but the incline is broken and it wont lay flat)...almost done, looking forward to using the room and not looking at an unfinished room when i first wake up!( Its an add-on room to our tiny bedroom)
I have been working on cleaning up my eats, I feel so much better when eating non-processed stuff!
I have to go out of town to be with a friend who just lost her dad, any suggestions on keeping up the healthy choices while gone? I will have my 2 year old, and she has a 4 year old and a 9 month old(single mom)....I will be busy for sure!!
take care!
wkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:47 AM   #90  

wkgirl!
Re: healthy choices while on travel...you'll probabely schlepp around tons of stuff for the children...adding a cooler for yourself with fruit& snacks would be the number one strategy! Seriously, it takes away all the choices at a difficult moment because you already chose when you packed the cooler, and you can always say that eating other stuff does not agree with you (and you will not be lying either).

good luck!
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote