Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-08-2002, 03:18 PM   #31  
Doin' it this time

S/C/G: 208.8/208.8/145

Default Question

There is a recipe earlier in the thread posted by dottijon it was for jello, cottage cheese, sf van pudding.....
sounds yummy but how many servings would that be for?

Thanks
Hockeychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 01:13 PM   #32  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

Well, here i thought I blew it again. I thought maybe stir frys were taboo, but I see it on the recipe site and it seems very much similar to the one I made last night. So I guess I am doing okay. Is there somewheres I can look to find the portion sizes. Things like how much rice or pasta is a serving, etc...
Virginia
Wanttolosealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 05:46 PM   #33  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Virginia,

To work out your portion size you can use your palm or fist. A way to test it is to fill a measuring jug with water and place you fist in it and see what the displacement is.

If you want to be more specific then look at the nutritional information on the packet and estimate what your portion size is and measure it from there. Normally depending on your size etc a portion for women is between 20-30 gms.

HTH

JC
JEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 10:45 AM   #34  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Smile a couple of my favorites

BFL Authorized Banana Bread/Muffins (I always double this recipe)

In medium bowl combine:
3 TBS protein powder
1/2 C 100% Stone Ground Whole Wheat Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/8 Tsp Baking soday
1/4 tsp cinnamon

In a small bowl combine:
1 medium banan (starting to turn brown) mashed
1 egg white
1/4 c unsweetened apple sauce

Add wet ingredients to dry. Stir until moistened. Divide batter into 2 mini-loaf pans and bake in oven at 350 for 2 minutes

OR...Put all batter into 1 mini-loaf pan and bake at 350 for 25 minutes

OR...Use a regular muffin pan and make 4 muffins. Bake at 350 for approximately 15 minutes.

this recipe makes 2 servings, so 1/2 of the batter is a meal. Each serving has 38g Carbs and 25g protein.

Pam's Chicken Soup

6 chicken breast
2 tomatoes
2 zuchinnis
2 yellow squash
4 carrots
4 individual celery stalks
4 potatoes
1 chopped onion
1 TBS chicken broth crystals
garlic pwder
salt
pepper

boil chicken until cooked. Cut into cubes. cut up veggies. Put everything into a large pot or Crock Pot and fill with water to just a bout 2 inches above veggies. Let cook on medium for a few hours. When cooked, pull out about 1/3 of the soup mixture and blend it in the blender. Pour the mixture back into the soup. This makes the soup seem thicker.

I use only 2 potatoes and drop in a 1/4 C brown rice that I keep cooked up in the fridge in each individual serving before zapping it in the microwave.
ledom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 08:22 PM   #35  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Thanks Karen. I never intended to offer up any of the meals that were on my personal plan. I paid Pam for those and I would except someone else to do the same. ANYWAY the portions are customized for me personally and some don't comply with BFL principles of portion size because I am a MUSCULAR girl - thus I get to eat more. The ones I was offering was the public ones that are through leanandstrong or the ones that are common knowledge over there such as jello cheesecake.

By the way DNW you perhaps have a short term memory but I don't, and I don't help people who sledge my friends on other threads. I would be careful where you tread in future if you want to insult people before you ask for their help. Personally I think an apology to MrsJim is in order even if she is too sweet a person to ask for it. Even if the whole situation was a misunderstanding I think that clearing the air would help. Enough said.

JC
Old 11-09-2002, 08:24 PM   #36  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Ledom: hey it's cool I think that Karen is referring to the private recipes that Pam hands out. The chicken soup is fair game in my book as well.

JC
Old 11-26-2002, 12:24 PM   #37  
Uber-Moderator!!

Here's the Pamcake recipe...first the basic:

1/2 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
4 eggwhites + one whole egg OR 6-7 eggwhites

(you can adjust these portions depending on your BFL portions - remember 1 eggwhite = 3 grams protein)

Splenda to taste
Vanilla extract (usually about 1/2 tsp)
Cinnamon

Combine all ingredients and blend well using a blender (I use my Braun hand blender).

Meanwhile, get your nonstick skillet nice and smoking hot (I heat it up on high, then turn the heat down to a touch over medium), spray with Pam Butter Spray, then pour in your 'batter'. It will be thin - not your typical pancake batter! Generally cooking time takes about 5 minutes for the first side, then flip and cook for another 2 minutes or so.

Variations:

Leave out a couple of the eggwhites and subsitute a spoonful of cottage cheese for a bit of extra creaminess.

Fold in a few blueberries into the batter, or drop them on top while the first side is still cooking.

Add some pumpkin puree or mashed cooked sweet potato into the batter.

Free Day Decadence: Add 1/2 a ripe banana to the mix!
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 09:47 PM   #38  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Let's try and clean up this soup recipe...

Okay, here's the story - at Wednesday's lunch at Viongier, I tasted this FANTASTIC Pumpkin puree soup. IT WAS SO GOOD. I poked around on the internet a bit and found this one that SOUNDS similar, due to the main ingredients (pumpkin and autumn pears) Of course it's a pure carb, so it wouldn't be considered a meal in itself as is...anyway...

http://soup.allrecipes.com/az/tmnprndpmpkinsp.asp

Autumn Pear and Pumpkin Soup

1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons instant chicken
bouillon granules
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
2 1/2 cups half-and-half or
light cream
1 3/4 cups pear nectar
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
pear slices (optional)

Now from what I see, the worst thing on the list is the half-and-half/cream and the pear nectar (which is pure sugar). I would also use fat-free low sodium chicken stock over the boullion as well. Hmmm...I wonder if puree'd cottage cheese, adding a little water for texture (you wouldn't need to add much water) or extra broth...and instead of pear nectar, how about some pear slices, pureed with a little Splenda? Any ideas?
Old 12-18-2002, 07:03 PM   #39  

Angry pancakes..

Hey everyone.

I have finally given in to cottage cheese. I really hate the look, and smell..and feel of it..has ALWAYS grossed me out..but i have decided to try the pancakes with oatmeal, eggwhites and the dreaded cottage cheese...and it was really great...i did a little bit of low-fat, low-sugar jam...this is a great option...thanks everyone..

one_sweetchick
one_sweetchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 12:18 PM   #40  
Uber-Moderator!!

Here's a recipe I made up yesterday...probably not really original but Jim liked it for breakfast!

Skillet breakfast (no measurements - just use whatever portion sizes you generally use).

Nuke a potato (white or russet - not sweet) and then chop into 1/2 inch chunks (include the skin).

Spray nonstick skillet with Butter Pam and saute some chopped onions, perhaps some chopped bell pepper, sliced mushrooms. Add the potatoes and cook until brown (I seasoned them at this point with some Spike and freshly ground pepper).

Now get some eggwhites (throw in a whole egg if you do that normally) whip with a fork a bit, then spray the potato/veggie mix with some Pam again. Pour the eggwhites over all and let cook (you can either 'scramble' them or kind of lift the bottom up with your egg turner, letting the uncooked egg run under everything so it cooks up evenly). OPTIONAL - add a tablespoon or two of non-fat shredded cheddar cheese for flavoring on top, then cover, turn the heat down and let simmer until the cheese is melted.

Jim really enjoyed this! Here are some variations you can try adding:

Fresh baby spinach
Chopped water chestnuts (for crunchiness)
Chopped green chiles
Reduce the eggs and add browned ground turkey breast

Kind of a nice weekend breakfast, eh?
Old 01-12-2003, 07:59 PM   #41  

Here is my new fav:

2c. CC , 1c frozen blueberries, 1 packet raspberry lite jello dilluted in 1/4c boiling water, blend all together with a hand blender and refrigerate... Makes 2 servings....

Yummy!!
3fcuser1058250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 07:02 PM   #42  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Yummy Protein Brownies

4 egg whites
1/2 cup nonfat cottage cheese
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup Splenda
2 tsp butter buds
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup oatmeal (uncooked)
2 servings protein powder (to equal 50 g of protein)
1/2 cup walnuts (optional)

Beat egg whites in small bowl. Gradually add Splenda and vanilla extract; beat well. Blend in cottage cheese and butter buds. Combine oatmeal, cocoa, protein powder, baking powder, and salt. Blend in blender (or with hand blender) until cottage cheese curds are gone. Stir in walnuts. Spread in a Pam sprayed tin. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 30 minutes.

This pan of brownies would be approximately 2 servings for me.

Here's the nutrition info per serving:
W/out nuts: cal = 268, p= 42g, c= 21g, f= 2g
with nuts: cal = 432, p= 46g, c= 24g, f= 18g
Old 01-13-2003, 07:04 PM   #43  
JEC
Aussie and proud

PS Those servings are Pam's serving not mine.

I divided the whole batch into 3 serves for me and I also used hazelnuts instead of walnuts. Make sure that it is blended really well.

JC
Old 01-16-2003, 01:58 PM   #44  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

What are butter buds? I just used real butter, but think maybe it is a substitute like Slenda is for sugar, is it? They are very good! Hope I did not screw up the recipe too much!
Wanttolosealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 07:16 PM   #45  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Yes it's a substitute similar to Splenda for sugar. I am not sure if you can get them in Canada??

JC