Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-28-2002, 07:01 PM   #16  

Chicken Tortilla Soup

1/2 c. chopped onion
1 [28 oz.] can of whole tomatoes, undrained
1 [15 oz.] can of kidney beans
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. worcestershire sauce
1 can of fat free tomato soup
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 can corn, drained and rinsed (you can use frozen too)
1 tsp. dried cilantro
1 tsp. chili powder
1 [14 oz.] can of fat free/low sodium beef broth
2 c. cooked chicken breasts, cut into thin strips (about three chicken breasts)

I start out by using a hand blender to blend up the whole tomatoes (you can do it right in the can, makes for a much thicker broth). In a stock pot combine the onion, tomatoes, kidney beans, cumin, worcestershire sauce, tomato soup, garlic, corn, cilantro, chili powder, beef broth, and chicken strips. Bring all to a boil then reduce heat cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.

In the winter, I double this recipe and put into Gladware containers and freeze, take them to work with me and microwave them for my meals.

Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional stats per serving:
Calories:225
Proteins:25g.
Carbs:27g.
Fats:2g.

Protein Pancakes

1/3 cup cottage cheese
3 egg whites
1/3 cup oatmeal
a little vanilla
a little cinnamon

Blend together and pour into hot non-stick pan sprayed with Pam. You can make one big pancake or several smaller pancakes. I have also found that if you let the batter sit for a few minutes (like while the pan is heating up), the pancakes don't run together.

Sometimes I will microwave a few little blueberries and then pour on top. I use a little sugar-free maple syrup too.

Egg White/Oatmeal scramble

a portion of egg whites
a portion of cooked oatmeal
one-two packets of Splenda
a little vanilla

Stir together and pour into a hot non-stick pan sprayed with Pam. Keep stirring until the egg whites are cooked completely. Sometimes I add a couple of teaspoons of peanut butter or a handful of raisins. This falls under the category of "it tastes way way better than it sounds". Very filling and satisfying.

More to come
Maggie
moxiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 06:23 PM   #17  
Uber-Moderator!!

Hey everyone!! I notice no recipes in awhile...

thought I'd add a stir fry sauce...

Here's what I do...

Combine together:

1/4 cup low-sodium fat free chicken broth
about 1 tablespoon of lite soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon or so cornstarch
1 packet Splenda

And stir until lumps are gone.

My favorite stir fry veggies are frozen veggies by C&W called "The Ultimate Stir Fry" http://www.c-wvegetables.com/products/279op.html (website). I don't know if you can only get them in California or what, but they are TASTY.

Here's what I do: Cut up a chicken breast into bite-size pieces, and sprinkle with a bit of soy sauce and rice vinegar. Let them marinate for a few minutes.

Get your nonstick skillet or wok smoking hot (spray with Pam). Toss the chicken in and stirfry until brown. Now a lot of folks like to take the chicken out at this point and toss it back in later, but I don't - I just toss the veggies in and stir, stir, stir...when the veggies have been cooking for, oh, maybe 3 minutes, make a sort of 'well' in the center of the wok or skillet and pour in the stir fry sauce (you might need to give it a quick stir to blend it right before). let bubble, then combine with the veggies and chicken. The cornstarch is important - it gives you a thick sauce.

When it looks done (veggies tender-crisp) remove from heat. I always like to add just a smidgen of sesame oil - it tastes great and it IS a healthy fat. Maybe a few drops.

Yummy way to get those veggies in!
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 01:39 PM   #18  
Uber-Moderator!!

Thumbs down Rich's Mom's Plump Juicy Chicken Breasts

Great recipe from Rich's mom...

Quote:
Every time I visit my mother she has ziplock baggies with these white, juicy, plump lightly seasoned chicken breasts!

She uses them for everything.

Chicken salad, casseroles or just plain.

So, one night I was doing some cooking and HAD been using my George Foreman or even the broiler pan in the oven and the chicken was good, but by a day or two later the chicken was getting hard.
I WANTED CHICKEN LIKE MY MOM MADE!

So, I called her and ask just how in the heck she does it.

Here is what she told me:

Take your broiler pan bottom
Line it with foil the long way
then line it with foil the short way
spray with pam
put in 8 or 10 big fat juicy chicken breasts and kinda roll them up a bit. (the edges tucked slightly under themselves)
put the juice of a lemon or about 1/4 cup of chicken broth over the top.
Season lightly (salt and pepper, garlic, ginger whatever you fancy)
cover the pan with foil the long way
cover again with foil the short way
(yes, this seems like a lot of foil, but it's worth it)
This thing is sealed as tight as a drum now.

Place into a preheated 350 degree oven for 60 minutes.

Tada! You now have the most plump juicy chicken breasts you have ever eaten. They keep in the fridge for days or in the freezer for weeks.
Old 09-17-2002, 06:57 PM   #19  
JEC
Aussie and proud

I was looking for this for an hour yesterday over at L&S!

Thanks chicky!!

JC
JEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 03:38 PM   #20  

That one sounds really good, I don't use anything but cottage cheese blended with spices for my dressings.
mzhallocksweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 06:04 PM   #21  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Susan asked me to post my version of the CC/jello recipe so here it is. This is the lemon flavour.

a portion of low fat CC (no FF in Australia)
3 teaspoons of WW lemon jello dissolved in hot water
some splenda
a little fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons of vanilla SF/FF pudding (I get someone to send it to me from the US.

I blended it up in the blender all together and then put it in the fridge for a few hours. It was INCREDIBLE!!! Even hubby loves it!

JC
Old 09-23-2002, 10:52 AM   #22  
One day at a time. :)

S/C/G: 254/248/165

Height: 5'9"

Mrs. Jim, I just wanted to thank you for the recipe for the chicken breasts. They truly are to die for! My whole family was LOVING them! And they were still juicy the next day, when I took one to work with me. Delicious!

Tiffany
Tiffany123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 11:37 AM   #23  
Uber-Moderator!!

TIFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So great to see ya post here!

I know you're busy at your other thread but please don't be a stranger - you are ALWAYS welcome, chick!

BTW I took a cooler of chicken breasts with me on our road trip to San Diego this weekend and they were GREAT road food - at meal time I just grabbed one with a napkin and chowed down.

I'm making another batch this evening for the week - yesterday I was a tired gal and snoozed most of the day after we came back.
Old 09-23-2002, 11:45 AM   #24  
One day at a time. :)

S/C/G: 254/248/165

Height: 5'9"

You know, I LOVE cold chicken too...and what a great idea for road trip food! We always take grapes and pretzels, etc...but then still have to stop for something...this way, you eliminate that!

Thanks for the welcome...I'm glad you had a great trip, it sounded wonderful!

Tiff
Tiffany123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 10:05 PM   #25  
Ilene the Bean

Here is my recipie for vegetable soup:

In a large pot with FF and low sodium chicken broth add: 2 lbs of carrots, a small cabage, a small turnip, a bunch of green beans, onions, 10 peeled and seeded fresh tomatoes, add any veggie you like more or less to your liking...cover it all with water, bring to a boil and let it simmer for a while till veggies are soft....oh and a bay leaf too... let it all simmer till done. .... I cut all the veggies in cubes...

I then added fresh garlic, basil, oregano, hot pepper flakes... I also added some chicken flavouring but not too much of that because its high in sodium.... simmer a bit more...then if you want a creamy kind of soup take a hand mixer and make it to your favorite consistency...

It IS a great way to add veggies to your meal... When I reheat it I will sometimes add brown rice to it or chicken or beans.... Whatever you like really.... At lunch I had ground turkey leftover and kidney beans and added it to the soup it was a great meal in a bowl.....

Moxie your soup looks delicious too.... I will have to try that soon...

Later all...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 12:26 AM   #26  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Thanks Lana!

JC
Old 09-26-2002, 09:59 AM   #27  

My printer is getting a nice workout this morning, thanks for the recipe ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!
mzhallocksweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 02:11 AM   #28  
JEC
Aussie and proud

I am not sure if anyone is interested but I was thinking of putting up some of Pam's food ideas and recipes from my new menu.

Would anyone be interested in that? Also I would love to see that Waldorf salad recipe Mel I think it was???

JC
Old 09-28-2002, 04:02 PM   #29  

One of my favorite recipes for chicken:

Pineapple Chicken Salad
portion of cooked, diced chicken
portion of drained, diced pineapple (canned or fresh)
a little diced onion (i like sweet onions)
a little diced celery (optional--I hate celery, so I leave it out)
1-2 Tbsp low-fat mayo
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all up, eat by itself or over lettuce and tomato or in a ww pita (if you're looking for extra carbs). Definitely one of my favorite lunches.
Old 09-29-2002, 02:41 PM   #30  

Default Baked Corn Tortilla chips

1 package corn tortillas (make sure the ingredients are corn and salt. nothing more)
Pam olive oil spray
salt

Preheat oven to 350. Using a pizza cutter, cut the tortillas into eight pieces and place on a non-stick cookie sheet. Spray the chips very lightly with the Pam and shake salt onto them. Place in oven for 4 1/2 mins. Remove, flip over the chips, and then switch the racks in the oven (if you're using two cookie sheets). Bake for 4 1/2 minutes or until just brown on the tips and crispy in the middle (break one in half to test). You may have to adjust the cooking time depending on what brand of tortilla you're using. Store in a ziploc bag.

Variations:
cumin and salt
Splenda and cinnamon (haven't tried this one yet)
lime and salt