Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-27-2003, 02:28 PM   #76  

Default Jello CC cheese cake

I have been living the BFL lifestyle for almost 2 years now and never really had a need for puddings, cheesecakes, whatever. Now I am a fitness trainer and I'm trying out new things to recommend to my clients. I tried this

1 package jello dissolved in 1 cup hot water
1 lb cottage cheese
2 T. vanilla sf instant pudding
Blend away, and chill.

I used only 2teaspoons pudding and the texture is GREAT, but I don't like the oversweet taste of the sugar-free jello. ( I used lemon.) Has anyone tried using just CC, PLAIN gelatin, splenda, lemon juice and vanilla?

Also, what about cc, plain jello, and frozen berries? How much would I reduce the hot water by to make sure it jells??

Thanks for any help!!
lyndaesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 03:03 PM   #77  
Uber-Moderator!!

Ya know with blended cottage cheese these days, I skip the jello powder (like you, I think it's way too sweet). I just blend my CC with some Splenda and a little vanilla extract (don't ask me the measurement - I just eyeball it). Sometimes I'll add some vanilla sugarfree instant pudding mix too - I think it gives it more of a cheesecake-like consistency.
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 06:21 PM   #78  
Ilene the Bean

Lyndae,

My fav concoction for CC is :

2 c. CC
Raspberry Jello (lite of course)
1 c. blueberries OR
2 c. strawberries

I dilute the Jello in a half or full cup of water... it just depends how I feel... in the half cup it'll gel firmer, in the full cup it'll be creamier....

I suggested this to my g/f's and they thought that they could taste the sodium in the cottage cheese... I dunno but I've never noticed it all....(they did not use any fruit because they are doing Atkins)

Now I'm not sure but Jello in Canada I think tastes different than in the States, this happens alot with different things !!?? Because I don't like the texture at all when I add pudding to the CC....

Hope this helps...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 01:31 AM   #79  

Okay this is so good that lots of people must have discovered it, but I find it so good for combating chocolate cravings that I'll run the risk of repetition. Simple too, but my measurements are fuzzy)

Mix plain cocoa powder with splenda(about 1:1, depending on if you like your chocolate dark or not) and then pour a little warm water into the mix until you get icing consistency. you can eat it like that or put it in the fridge till it's a bit firmer.

not sure just how clean this is, though. suppose if you added some protein powder and cut down on the cocoa it might make a protein bar too.
lore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 01:16 PM   #80  
Banned

Default Ways to Liven Up Protein Shakes!

Plain shakes can be so boring...Here's a few flavorful ideas..add any of the following to a serving of protein powder, water, ice & sweetener to taste, then blend. If you like them a bit thicker, add a tiny bit of xanthan after you've blended the other ingredients. Use too much and you'll end up with glue! BTW, these ideas are adapted from LC recipes at www.eatprotein.com that made me a shake addict long before I dreamed of bodybuilding!

Pumpkin:

2 blocks of frozen pumpkin (ice cube size)
1/4 t pumpkin pie spice
1 t sugar free maple syrup or maple extract to taste
pinch of salt.

Butterfinger:

1 T cocoa powder
2 T natural peanut butter

York Peppermint Patty:

1 T cocoa powder
Peppermint extract to taste (usually 1/8-1/4t)

This has got to be my all-time favorite flavor for anything using protein powder!

Mounds:

1 T cocoa powder
Coconut extract to taste

Chocolate-Banana

1 T cocoa powder
1/2 t banana or banana extract or to taste

Blueberry:

1/2 cup blueberries
Lemon or coconut extract to taste (I always use the coconut)

Eggnog:

1 tsp. Rum extract
pinch of salt
You may want to add additional sweetner
top with nutmeg

You may not want to wait for the holidays to try this one!

Strawberry-Peach:

1/2 - 3/4 cup fruit (combo of strawberries & peaches, frozen or fresh)
1/4-1/2 t almond extract
1 1/2 T dried mint (fresh would work, too)

This one is so good I can't begin to describe it! Try it once and you'll be addicted!
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 01:33 PM   #81  
Banned

These are good for BFL/BRx nutrition though some, especially the Green Bean Chili, may be suitable for CDK/TKD as well.

ALL recipes posted by me are going to be very easy. I promise! I can follow a recipe, but I'm not a cook and hate spending more time in the kitchen than absolutely necessary! If you're looking for something easy, try these.

Buffalo Black Soybean Chili

This is a great original recipe from AHM from another board. Try this once and you'll be hooked!

This recipe is VERY easy and takes no more than an hour or so to cook. Have things chopped and ready though, as to be ready to throw them in when needed. Also, it freezes and travels well. I love taking it to parties and announcing what's in it after it's gone! No one ever can believe it's buffalo and soybeans!

2 tbl. olive oil
2 cups chopped onions (vidalia or red are good)
1 tbl. chopped garlic
1 pound ground buffalo (or beef if you can't find buffalo)
1 tbl. cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano (preferably mexican)
2 tbl. (or to taste) red chile powder (I use new mexican chimayo, sometimes ancho, but you can use whatever kind you like)
2 cups chopped tomatoes (either fresh or canned are fine)
1 can Eden black soy beans
2-5 chipotle chile en adobo with some of the sauce, chopped (to taste!)
2 cups chicken stock (or to taste just enough to provide a little extra liquid)

In a 2 quart saucepan, saute onions in olive oil until wilted down, add in garlic and saute a couple minutes. Add in ground buffalo, breaking up with a spoon. When buffalo is almost cooked through, add in tomatoes, chipotles, and spices and simmer a few minutes. Add in beans. Simmer a few more minutes and then pour in chicken stock (or substitute beef stock or water). The longer you simmer, the more blended the flavor would be, so, depending on time you can use more or less stock but you will need to cook it down until there is just a little extra liquid. Add in salt to taste in the middle of the simmering process.

Serve with lowfat cheddar, avocado, chopped tomatoes, onions, fat free sour cream as you wish.

*Note - the more chile, the hotter it is, so add to taste. After years in New Mexico, we like it pretty hot.

Also, you could use regular black beans if you'd rather (my GI system prefers these though!). However, if you are using dried and not canned, add the soaked beans prior to the salt, chipotles or tomatoes - the beans WILL NOT SOFTEN otherwise (neat trick, huh?) Obviously it isn't a problem with canned. Also, it will take longer to cook until the beans are soft and you will need more stock. I have also added fresh corn kernals which is REALLY excellent!

White Chili

This is a BFL authorized recipe that I got from a BFL party my trainer had a while back. It is very good! It's perfect for those nights when you want a healthy meal but you aren't in the mood to cook.

4 servings

2 lbs. chicken
48 oz.-1 jar white beans
16 oz.-2 jars medium salsa
2 T cumin

Steam the chicken, then cut into small cubes. Place in a saucepan and add the rest of the ingredients. Stir together over medium heat until thoroughly heated. Serve with a salad.

Green Bean Chili

This one sounds awful, IMHO (it took me a long time to try it) but I had it at a friend's home several years ago and was sold on it! It's been a regular for me ever since! I think it's great for BRx Cycle 3 when your yellow carbs are low. ALL the ingredients are green!

Ingredients:

1 lb. lean ground beef or turkey breast *
1 large onion, chopped
1 large can (28 oz.) tomatoes
2 14. 5 oz. cans green beans
2 cans sliced mushrooms
1 t each salt, pepper and chili powder or to taste
1 T garlic powder

Brown meat in dutch oven, drain. Add onion, then remaining ingredients. Simmer for about 20 minutes. This always tastes even better the next day! I've used both fresh and canned veggies for this.

* If you use turkey breast, try adding 1 cup of beef broth or bouillon.

Serves 6, aproximately 1 1/3 cups per serving.

Per Serving:

Calories: 165

Total Fat: 4.2g
Saturated Fat: 1g
Carbohydrates: 22g
Fiber: 6g
Protein: 19g

Orange Sweet Potatoes

Peel 4 large sweet potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes. Place in a large saucepan and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10-12 minutes or until fork-tender. Drain. Add the zest and juice from 1 orange, 2 tablespoons butter (if butter isn't allowed on your plan you can substitute Butter Buds), and a dash of salt. Beat with an electric mixer until the potatoes are light & fluffy.

This is another authorized BFL recipe that I got from a BFL party I attended. It's the favorite breakfast of Bill Phillips!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Proatmeal

1 serving

2/3 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
1 cup water
1 teaspoon natural peanut butter
1 scoop chocolate protein powder
1 serving sugar-free, fat-free hot cocoa mix
1/8 cup skim milk

Combine oats with water in a microwave-safe bowl (use a big enough bowl so it doesn't overflow when it boils). Cook on High for 4 minutes. Add peanut butter, stirring until the peanut butter "melts" and appears smooth. Add protein powder, cocoa mix & skim milk. Stir & enjoy!

From Maybellene on another board, this one is wonderful!!!

Baked Chicken With Stuffing

Stuffing

3C Quick Oats or Old Fashioned Oats
1C chopped onion
1/2C chopped celery
1/2C green bell pepper
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup (undiluted) try one of the flavored ones. I used the herbed...
1C chicken broth
1 1/2 tsp ground sage
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 taspoon ground black pepper, optional

Chicken

1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tablespoon seasoned salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper, optional
3 pounds chicken pieces.

Preheat oven to 375. Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. IN a alarge bowl, combine oats, onion, celery, green pepper, soup, chicken broth, sage, garlic powder, salt and pepper; mix well. Pour into prepared pan. Sprinke garlic power, salt and pepper on chicken pieces. Place chicken on top of oat mixture; cover tightly with foil. Bake 1 hour or until chicken juisces run clear. Remove foil; bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken is golden brown.

Serves 8

I (Maybellene) opted for pork loin on this. I can't believe I found this very normal recipe and its BFL OK!!! YUM YUM!!! eat the grub...

Stuffing: calories 107, fat 3.25, carbs 16, protein 4

Chicken: calories 157, fat 3.1, carbs 1, protein 29.5

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 04-21-2003 at 01:38 PM.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 07:32 PM   #82  
Ilene the Bean

Here is a recipe I found in a Prevention mag years ago by Dr. Weil..... I love that guy!

Broccoli:

Bunch of broccoli
¼ c. water
1 T. olive oil
¼ tsp or to taste hot pepper flakes
pinch of salt
fresh garlic cut in large chunks or dry flakes

In a pot bring water, oil , pepper, salt and garlic to a boil, add broccoli and cover tightly, take off the stove, and let sit for 5 minutes.

Try it!! You like it!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 01:56 PM   #83  
Uber-Moderator!!

Mexican salad...

This is what I've been eating at lunch this week. Yum!

You can figure out the portions...

Shredded romaine lettuce
Chicken breast, charbroiled and cut into bite-sized chunks
Shredded red cabbage
cooked pinto beans (or black beans - but I prefer pintos)
diced/sliced jalapeno peppers
Salsa...lots of salsa
Chopped tomatoes and onions (forget what they call this in Mexican restaurants, but they serve it like salsa, it's just not liquidy)

Blend everything together VERY WELL and devour!

CONFESSION TIME...there is this new chain that opened up near my work called Baja Fresh...what I do is order the "Baja Ensalada" (chicken salad) without the tortilla strips (it comes with dressing and cheese but it's placed in cups on the side, easy to avoid!) and a side of whole beans...I raid the salsa bar for jalapenos, salsa, chopped tomatoes, etc. and toss it all together in a big delicious mishmash (just using 1/2 the beans though - Jim eats the rest...)
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 09:30 PM   #84  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Apple pie.....

1/2 cup oatmeal
splenda and cinnamon to taste
a small apple

a portion of CC
splenda and cinnamon to taste
a dash of milk

Place the first batch of ingrediants in a big bowl and fill with hot water until it is all covered. Microwave on high for 2 minutes and the mix and add more water as necessary and nuke it again until its all soft. Usually 3-4 mins in total. Place in fridge to cool slightly. Whip up CC and other ingrediants in a blender with the dash of milk until smooth. Once the apple mix has cooled enough to eat (so still warm - about 5 mins in fridge) add the CC mixture on top and then eat.

This is a staple of my diet and absolutely delicious.

JC
JEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 09:31 PM   #85  
JEC
Aussie and proud

OOPS!!

peel and dice the apple into small chunks!

JC
Old 05-29-2003, 04:02 AM   #86  
a work in progress...

Wow! What a great thread I just stumbled upon! So much good info here! I can't wait to try SO many of these recipes!

Keep up the good work, gang!
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 01:48 AM   #87  
JEC
Aussie and proud

For Susan & others: This is the official recipe from Shannon. In my version I add half a banana and 1/2 cup CC and split the portion into 2. I usually make 2 thinner shannycakes and use SF FF syrup on top and sometimes a dash of yogurt on top as well.

This recipe makes one BFL portioned meal for most ladies.

4 Egg Whites
1/4C Cottage Cheese
1/2C dry measure Oatmeal
Cinnamon - 1tsp or more to taste
Splenda - 4 packets or to taste
(optional) 1 cap of Vanilla Extract

Place all ingredients into a blender for 20-30 seconds. This makes a very thin watery batter. Preheat a non-stick pan on low to medium low. Spray with cooking spray and pour in the batter. I make 1 large pancake but you can make several smaller ones. The pancake is ready to flip when small bubbles appear on the top of the batter.

** Gentlemen would need to add another 4 or so eggs and another 1/2C or so of oatmeal (or fruit) to this recipe.

** Add 1/2 a banana (or other fruit) in the batter for a change of pace and a boost in carb count for this meal.

** Try adding canned pumpkin and some additional pumpkin pie spice for another variation of this meal (thanks Robb P)

** I cook up 4-5 pancakes in advance for a tasty and very convenient on-the-go meal! As soon as the pancake has finished cooking, flip onto a sheet of plastic wrap. Roll the pancake like a fruit roll up or a burrito, cover in plastic wrap and store in the fridge. This will keep your ShannyCakes soft and moist.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:15 AM   #88  

I need ideas for fast breakfasts (besides shakes!)

Call it being too tired to figure out where I saw these recipes....but I know Karen makes a oatmeal/eggwhite pancake, and someone else bakes some sort of oatmeal/egg recipe for breakfast. Can you guys please post those (again?) Or tell me where to find them?

Thanks

Robin
RobinBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 12:04 PM   #89  

Mrs. J, how does that recipie with the cottage cheese and yogurt mixed in a blender taste? (or anyone that has tried it)
calipc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 08:09 PM   #90  
Mel

Default Coleslaw

Mel's Coleslaw

2 cups shredded cabbage
1.5 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon udo's
1 teaspoon agave syrup (or sweetener of choice)
.5 oz slivered almonds
shake of powdered ginger

Mix it all up, let it sit for 10 minutes or so, then slice chicken over it. For those of you who insist on a starchy carb, I bet cubed cooled sweet potatos would be tastey. Or shredded carrots, which I consider a carb.

Ok- next day. Tried it without almonds and with 1/2 cup shredded carrots. Still good, missed the almonds, tho. But definitely less fat.

Last edited by meliris; 07-08-2003 at 01:52 PM.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote