Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-12-2014, 07:40 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'

Happy Friday, everyone! I just updated my stats. I'm down a pound from where I started. We're in the middle of our summer transitional program for incoming college freshman. I teach M/W/F. I'd like to think it's my super-savvy, conscientious calorie counting and amazing exercise ethic that took the pound off, but, no I think it's more about trying to keep my head above water and numerous meetings. There is something to be said about constant busyness, I guess.

Looks like folks are showing good progress. Kudos! Last night I got caught up in The Biggest Loser and sat slack-jawed when one contestant dropped 38 pounds the first week. I know, I know, so many pitfalls to the show: severe calorie reductions and fluid intake, exercising 6+ hours per day, not having day-to-day responsibilities, a week not really being a week IRL, blah, blah, blah... But still, c'mon, are you kidding me! Okay, thanks for letting me get that out of my system

Hope everyone has a healthy, happy and safe weekend!
curvynotlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:33 PM   #92  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Biggest Loser....

I often wonder if that show does more harm than good for the contestants as well as the general public? Just hear me out.

1) I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that 1 in 3 American's are considered Obese these days. So 1/3 of America could really use exercise and eating right. Imagine thinking you need to lose weight and turning on the T.V. to see people trying to lose weight and all you see are trainers yelling at them, them vomiting and crying and... well.... looking COMPLETELY MISERABLE. It kind of makes you get a negative out look on exercise and I personally went to "I think I'm ok being fat... if that's what it takes."

2) Now, maybe the show continues and you keep watching. The before and afters look stunning, the contestants are feeling better. ON screen romances are blooming, people are feeling healthier and the exercise doesn't look so bad anymore, you still have trainers freaking out, but it's not so bad. So you decide to lose weight. First week, you lose 1lb, and then compare it to someone contestant's 38lb loss in a week. Yea, mentally you think "Awwww, it's a show, and they have trainers and experts." But at the same time... you're let down your loss isn't anything NEAR that, and you feel you've been doing nothing but working out.

3) The contestants literally walk around with a shirt declaring them a "loser" the entire show. I know I know, it's a "clever" play on words for the name of the show. But come on, it's basically using the term "loser" to refer to people that are overweight. When I first saw previews, I felt sorry for the contestants, and it looked like a show that mocked fat people. It's grown and changed, but the title still reminds me of that. There are also so many times you watch and it makes the obese people seem more... "weak". Like they were incapable of being strong without the show. It opens up a new level of fat shaming.

4) Most of the contestants put all the weight back on. They lose so much so fast, without really being tested in real life situations. How demoralizing is that? When you search the "where are they now" and the first thing that comes up is the season 1 winner gained it all back. It makes it seem so hopeless. The contestants literally wait years to get on the show and then they get off and just gain it all back. Most of us know what it's like to go out to a restaurant and be tempted by the menu. We know what it's like for that office worker to bring in donuts and we learn to say "no." A show is entirely different. Suddenly they aren't working out as much, they don't have the support they were use to, they have to deal with the real world. It's too much, they usually gain it back.

With all that being said.......

I totally watched this show when it was on Netlix. It's entertaining and at times, it can be motivational. For the most part, it's just crazy drama and hope. But it really made me scared of personal trainers and I always wondered if it put a positive and happy spin on weight loss, actually bringing hope to people trying to lose weight, or if it turned people off of working out as well as gave leeway for thin people to mock the fat ones.
kurisitaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Word, kurisitaru! Preach it sister!

I'm in complete agreement with all you wrote. I do admire that the contestants want to change their lives, but I often wonder what, if anything, they've tried in the past to lose weight and get their health back on track. I'm curious to know if for some this is their last resort or if it's their first and only attempt at weight loss. And if it is their first attempt, why is it? Why this route? There is a 'freak show' aspect to the show as well. Having contestants remove their shirts and do a public weigh-in. For me it wouldn't work. And in comparison to the ****s-to-the-wall workouts, very little attention is paid to proper nutrition and cooking. Honestly, that's where the real battle is won, but who wants to watch someone at their local Safeway choosing their leafy greens?! And like you, I would love to see a 'Where Are They Now' episode with ALL the former contestants. Where did they start, how much did they lose, and how much of their weight loss have they maintained?
curvynotlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #94  

S/C/G: 185/155

Height: 5'9"

You make a great point kurisitaru!!! I love watching The Biggest Loser... however, I hate it when they pass me up, I always feel like I should have been able to keep up.

Last edited by Cheyenneb4u; 09-13-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Cheyenneb4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:00 PM   #95  

S/C/G: 101/ - /58.8 kgs

Height: 1, 58 m

My wife is a personal trainer, and a really good one! She was shocked when she first watched The Biggest Loser and said it was a disservice to her profession! Lol! She was really angry and i still laugh alone when i remeber her crazy angry eyes! Lol!

Last edited by Marina Brasil; 09-13-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Marina Brasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:27 PM   #96  
Getting my life back

I'm told a lot of personal trainers get annoyed at the show. ^^ Which helped me with my small little fear of them. I don't think anyone needs to be yelled at to get motivation.

I still like the show, because reality shows are my guilty pleasures. Horders? Nothing is more motivation to clean your house. America's Got Talent (is that reality category or more "game show"?), I like the acts and the stories of the people wanting to chase their dream. Some reality shows I can't stand, but the ones that show people for what they are, people. Flawed, sometimes crazy, needing help. Some are extreme and I hate the beauty pagent ones, but a lot of them... I don't know... make me feel more normal, and more empathetic to people around me. Even if sometimes I'm pretty sure of them are scripted. I also don't like the "Dating" ones, those ones feel so fake!
Old 09-14-2014, 10:38 AM   #97  

kurisitaru - I also LOVE reality shows with real people! I hear you on Hoarders being a huge motivation to declutter and clean! Recently i've been a watching a reality show that's shoot in UK in which a very underwheight person and a very obese one trade their meals for a whole week.

Today i'm going to have lunch with some close friends at their home and the main dish is going to be four cheese lasagna. I'm a vegetarian since i was 14 and it's common for people to cook pasta filled with cheese for me when they serve me a meal. I'm really grateful for the invitation but i know i'll have to deal with some pressure to eat more than i want to (in fact it's possible i'll WANT to eat a lot, so it will be even more dificult to have a reasonable portion).. The friend who is cooking is really into greasy stuff and i'm not sure if there will be a salad or any other dishes, because she hates vegetables. Her husband hates vegetables in general too. Wish me luck! I'll come back here to tell you how it was...

Last edited by Marina Brasil; 09-14-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:44 PM   #98  
Getting my life back

Marina Brasil Fat vs Skinny! I know what you mean, but I wasn't as into that show as I thought I would be.

Bring a fruit bowl. I often bring food to a friends gathering. One, it seems respectful to bring a bottle of wine or a side, and two... I have snacks to fill up on. It's usually a veggy tray, but it seems your friend hates them, so go with a fruit salad!
Old 09-15-2014, 06:46 AM   #99  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Held it together through the week-end and down a couple of pounds. Still have about 65 days until I turn the big 5-0 (and 13 pounds to go).
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:35 AM   #100  

S/C/G: 155/124.5/135

What does everyone else do if the weigh-in date falls during TOM? If i enter my weight today it's going to show me having a gain, but it'll all be gone in a couple days. Not sure if I should enter my weight for today anyway or wait until it settles back.
underanalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:55 AM   #101  

kurisitaru - This a very particular couple who gets ofended whenever i offer to bring something. They feel that if they're throwing a party of some sort they must provide everything. Turned out they didn't pressure me at all and it was a lovely lunch and afternoon. That goes to show sometimes the obstacles are on our own minds!

Today i weigh in 178.1 lbs. Thanks again Cheyenneb4u for updating my numbers!
Old 09-15-2014, 10:02 AM   #102  
Warrior Princess

I'm showing a gain, probably from sodium. I'll wait a day or two and then check again. I don't think I will make it out of the 140's and if I do it won't be for long. Still worth a shot though.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:33 AM   #103  

S/C/G: SW:283 /GW:150

Height: 5ft 5in

Natlyne thanks alot the weekend was not good for me bu ti am trying to FIGHT BACK!........and one thing i see you declare that even though the 5lbs may me small still rejoice and commend yourself and THIS I DONT DO! so i will take your advice
fightbbrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:32 PM   #104  

S/C/G: HW:276 Restart 242.6/148.2/140

Hi everyone
Down 1 lb. this week, which is small for me, but considering the week that I have had, I am happy with that 1 lb.!!

I don't know what's up, but I have been so emotional this past week, which leads to lack of focus, which leads to making bad decisions which leads to feeling crappy about yourself and onandonandon... This is not ME!!

However, this is a new week, and I am determined to slow down, focus and take it one day, one hour or even one minute at a time if I have to, to get myself back on track.

Thanks for the space to let me vent a bit.

Hope it is a good start to the week for everybody!
jollyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:43 PM   #105  

S/C/G: 232/227/187

Height: 5'6"

Woo I am also excited.
withuashish is offline   Reply With Quote