Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-24-2010, 03:49 AM   #61  
Taste the rainbow

S/C/G: 299/241/175

Height: 5'9

My last straw was being so close to 300. I've been over 200 for as long as I can remember, early 200s when I was younger and it slowly crept up as I got older. When I hit 20 I was about 230, then I met my husband and amazingly girls are not supposed to eat as much as men, something it took me forever to get used to lol. But I started thinking about losing weight and bought a scale and saw 299, that scared the heck out of me. I lost 30 lbs in time for my wedding (wish it had been more but oh well >.>) and have been floundering since. I gained almost 10 lbs back and seeing myself get close to 270 again is scary. So I'm back in business
Skittlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:28 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 266/216/166

Height: 5' 1"

Okay this might sound pretty dramatic as I type it but when it actually happened this is how I felt:
I went to the summer fair in like...August. I had been trying to lose weight for a while, kind of not really. Well there was this one really cool ride, it's like a pendulum and it follows that motion pattern but it swings you kind of when you get to a peak, it's one of those ones where you have the bars above you and you pull down. Well my friend convinced me to go on it even though the line was ridiculously long. We waited for like an hour, the whole time I was actually worrying if I would even fit and my friend told me the whole time that I would and that I should stop worrying (anyone see where this is going?). Well we finally get up there and I realize one big problem. I can't get myself up there. So this one worker comes over and he shakes his head and has me step on his knee so I can get up ( I felt SO bad for him, I really did because I was at high weight at that point). It took me a while and then finally I got up. I tried to get the bar thing down and it snaps closed but it doesn't really 'fit' if you get what I mean. Well right when the ride is suppose to start the guy who helped me up shook his head (like 'this is a bad idea kind of thing') and then came over and unbuckled me and I got off.
I felt SO awful because there was a crap-load of people, like there literally had to be around 100 people waiting and watching and I was so embarrassed that I cried after. I'm glad I got that out, but I wish for that to never happen again and I'm trying to work my way towards it never happening again.

Last edited by bunnythesAINT; 02-24-2010 at 03:31 PM.
bunnythesAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #63  
Started IP 2/8/2013

S/C/G: 290/187/110

Height: 5'1"

The last straw for me was reaching 242 lbs.Not only did I hate myself, but I was gasping just from walking upstairs.Plus, my older brother proposed to his girlfriend on Christmas Eve, and upon learning I would be in the wedding party, I wanted to look pretty for the wedding.So now I'm determined to lose the weight once and for all by May/June 2011 in time for the wedding.But I'm not doing this just for the wedding, I also want to lose the weight for me.For my health and happiness, and I'm sick of being overweight!
cmk79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:56 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 225/183/155

Height: 5'7"

good post!

Last Straw for me was May, 2008. I had a miscarriage while we were vacationing in Hawaii. I was 225 pounds. It was my 2nd miscarriage in 6 months and I thought to myself, "forget it, I can live with just having one wonderful baby". Got back from Hawaii - recovered a little, found a personal trainer and started loosing weight. Flashforward to September, I was training for my first Duathlon (run, bike, run), weighing about 200 lbs, and got PREGNANT!

I made sure I worked out the entire pregnancy and only gained 25 pounds (the ones I lost) and started hardcore working out after 6 weeks postpartum. Now here I stand - 185(!), ready to lose 30 more pounds by July!!!!!
lights76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:30 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 189/186/125

Height: 5'5"

My last straw was realizing that all of my pants were no longer fitting. At first, I wanted to blame it on the dryer. Crazy, but I really did blame the dryer for "shrinking" them. Then I bought a new pair of cargo pants from old navy. When I got home, I realized they were freaking maternity pants! I don't want to have to wear the jeans with the elastic band! I want my cute clothes back!
Brittany1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:34 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 174.5/163.6/125

Height: 5'3"

My last straw was when my fiance and I got engaged. Its more than just the bridezilla thing. I couldn't help but feel like I just made real commitment to my future and to his. I don't want to hurt our futures together by being overweight.

On a lighter note, when you put an old prom dress on for kicks and it doesn't zip up in the back, it can really really bring you to tears.
Chubzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:57 PM   #67  

S/C/G: 196/196/140

Height: 5'5

My last straw was gradual as well. I've gained and lost weight over and over for years now, but I've never weighed over 180 pounds. When I met my now husband, I weighed 140 pounds. I wore a size 10 and felt great! I even got rid of all of my "fat" clothes. Well, during our courtship and engagement, I got comfortable and gained 50 pounds over the course of a year that was my first clue. My second clue happened at my first dress fitting when the seamstress said that I was the first bride that she'd had to actually gain weight and not loose it. The final straw happened a few days ago at work when a student laughed behind my back at my fat hanging out from my shirt.
I'm finally dedicated to loosing weight and want to do it the right way.
Mrs Daigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:32 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 315.6/Ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

I've had a few moments where I felt like it was the last straw. But really the last straw came back in October. This is my final straw story. The reality that divorce was at my door because of how miserable I was and how miserable I was making those around me slapped me in the face.

I still struggle and have days where I fall off. But I remember that day and I make myself get back to what I need to do. I have to be healthy for myself and my family. I HAVE to be comfortable in my own skin. I have two beautiful children and I don't want me to still be hating myself when they reach an age where they understand.
justaloozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:50 AM   #69  
Mrs. Brady

S/C/G: 283/259/180

Height: 5'6"

My last straw is my health.

Because of strengthening exercises, I can now walk without a cane. This tells me it was NOT the car accident itself that caused the continuing need for one; it was me not exercising myself back to strength. In short, if I don't exericse, I hurt, and I can't walk.

Blood glucose levels can get ridiculous if I don't stay right on top of them, and insulin makes you *gain* weight. My only solution is to lower my carbs. That way I don't have to take as much insulin.

And the scariest thought: I was told by a doctor that I was "looking at dialysis in 15 years" if I didn't get the glucose readings under control. The other day I realized it's been 5 years since she said that....

I do so want to live to see my grandchildren grow up.
LovebirdsFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:23 PM   #70  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

When i went to Great America and was asked to leave the roller coaster cause I didn't fit. A couple weeks later, I went to be fitted for my sisters wedding, and I had to order the largest size they carried and was told I might have to add material.

Ended up having to take the dress in twice once the wedding did come along 8 months later.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:32 PM   #71  

I saw pictures of myself from when I was on vacation in Nov in NC. I really looked at the photos and thought "who's that" at first. Not remembering this "stranger" on our trip, 30 seconds later when I realized it was me I wanted to die. I have one of the upsetting pictures on my twitter. One of the first entries if anyone wants to see. I look like a linebacker
KellyGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:40 PM   #72  

Location: Orignally from Central Ohio area now going to school in Utah

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5

When I saw a picture of myself 6 months after I had given birth to my daughter and my friend asked saw it and asked how many weeks that was until I delievered Lydia... I then realized I still looked like I was 8 months pregnant and it was embarrassing
BrittniMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:53 AM   #73  

S/C/G: 294.5/276/190

Height: 5'2"

I have been overweight for 50 years. I hit morbid obesity in the 1980's and still said that I would do something about my body and weight when it became medically necessary. That day came in 2004 when I was diagnosed with cancer...a cancer that is directly related to obesity. This still was not enough for me to stop rationalizing. Finally after getting the diagnosis of hypertension, high cholesterol and diabetes type II I got it. If I want to live I have to lose weight.
chicpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:12 AM   #74  

Height: 6"1"

My last straw is when I got tickets to see a talk show in NYC in December. We had to dress up because it was a special Christmas party show. I thought I looked pretty good. Went out and bought new clothes. Had to buy a bigger size than normal. But I blamed it on the way they made the clothes. Of course.

When my friend and I got seated, they put us in the corner. If there was a spot behind the corner, they would have stuck us there. Then I saw it. I TIVO'd the show. When I watched it, I caught a glimpse of myself. OMG. I looked huge. It was horrible. Horrible.
Sockerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:18 AM   #75  
banned

I've had plenty of "final straws". Just none that ever motivated me to do anything about my weight. When I was either in the beginning of high school or middle school, I kept going to the doctor because I always felt sickly. Well, once there, the doctor went into detail about how I was overweight, and how once I got into my 40s I would need a hip and knee replacement. I had another doctor stress this too, but I always felt defensive and embarrassed. I usually ended up crying afterward.

Then there were other things, like being made fun of because of my height and weight, seeing pictures of myself, barely having stamina when I did exercise, and just never having energy. I always felt tired and depressed.

A month or so ago, I found out that my aunt (mother's sister) has cancer. Obesity runs on both sides of my family, and I knew that if I didn't change my diet and start exercising regularly then this might someday happen to me.

I still skip exercising some days, and haven't jumped into changing my diet yet, but I have been exercising several times a week. And for me, that's really good. I plan to change my diet next month when I get my food stamps.
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote