Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 12:03 PM   #766  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Ha Judy - lower 50's??? When I left for work this morning, the thermometer read 18 degrees!!!! It is so cold and still October. Luckily it doesn't go much colder in the dead of winter.

I'm glad that your dr. has ideas for you. Gluten free, huh??? Even if you weren't intolerant/allergic you'd lose weight since that's all the good stuff. Maybe adkins diet would work for you since that's definitely gluten free. I'd love a foot massage - someday when the obnoxious wart is finally gone. And no, I'd never planned exercise flowing minor surgery - I would have gladly looked forward to a valid excuse not to exercise. Very interesting perspective you enlightened me on.

Carol, I like the proverb. I believe this is my 8th diet and I'm not going to fall. Okay, maybe 800th diet but who's counting???

Today is the official 6 month anniversary since I joined Nikki's challenge. Since April 25th I've lost 37.6 pounds. I did re-weigh in this morning just because it was the anniversary - same weight as yesterday's official weigh in. It's so cool. I figure it'll be much slower for the next 39.4 pounds and that it'll take another year. I can wait. Losing weight is awesome.

Well, I'm at work and should probably work. although I really don't want to...
Marie
Old 10-25-2006, 08:56 PM   #767  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Marie - Wow, you've lost a lot of weight in a relatively short time. It's taken me about 2 years to lose the same amount, probably because I don't do any where near the exercise you do. I also have around 40 lbs. to go - race ya! (but I know you'll win with your track record!!) I sympathize with the wart on your foot (I assume it's a plantar wart). I had several on my foot when I was a teenager and had to go to the foot doctor once a week for a couple of months to get them treated and scraped. Eventually they went away, but it was quite painful. I'm amazed you do all that running with a bad foot.

Judy - Those stressful meeting must be tough when you're still feeling poorly. Take care of yourself - you don't want to have a relapse. I was on a gluten-free diet for a while because of my IBS (unfortunately, it didn't help). There are lots of bread substitutes out there but most of them don't taste good. The only one I liked was sprouted Ezekiel bread which still has some gluten in it but not as much as regular bread. I hope this approach works for you.

Carol - Congratulations on your good review - it's good that you received this recognition for all your hard work. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a good Christmas bonus for you! I like your motto - "Fall down 7 times, get up 8". Mine is "Quitting is NOT an option" and I've had to tell that to myself many a time on this weight loss journey!

I'm still having a bit of bladder pain but it's not as bad. I went to Curves today and felt great after my workout. I've lost a pound so far this week. Now I'm only 1 lb. away from 'halfway to goal' so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the scale will be nice to me on Friday.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:31 AM   #768  
fIREFLY

S/C/G: 179/172.5/165

Height: 5'7''

Well Judy I happen to have a client whom has to have a gluten free diet. It isn't always easy but much more do able than years ago. She has been on my case load for 6 years. Thank goodness the good stores carry a lot more gluten free products than years before. The health food stores are great resources and if you have one locally checking it out would be a great idea. Having arthritis at such an early age yuk! Your a good sport though cause you don't let it get in the way of activities. Your always so busy. The diet sounds awful but really do able. There are many things you can have. But going out to eat and being out of town will be a bit tricky. But once you learn the in's and out's you'll be surprised at how much is allowed for regular foods. Just the flour made products are the hardest ones to stay away from. But there are many choices available gluten free. If this helps you to discover a health problem then go for it. The 6 weeks will fly by. Time lately seems to fly doesn't it. Seems like we just celebrated the holidays and here we are again. Thanks for you congrats. Yah it was sure nice and I did thank them that was for sure. She even said that the company is lucky to have me and took up my whole space to write any comments as she wrote about me. Well I didn't have any comments this year I told her not with that review. I will take the low 50's Judy we are into the 40's and 30's at night. Now that is not so nice.
Well yesterday I did pretty good staying on track with my calories. I did add in a sweet but made sure the calories were allowed for. I had a yogurt with walnuts when the rest of the folks had a big bowl of ice cream last night. I just read an article about adding in more milk products for better wt. loss. So I am on my yogurt kick. I am not a milk drinker. But love cheese. Healthy dinner last night too.
Today I have a crock pot of sauce going for dinner tonight. It has been awhile since I cooked spaghetti sauce. So it will be nice to come home to a pot of that cooking. I had my first spinach salad yesterday after that big spinach scare. It tasted really good a nice healthy salad with cottage cheese too. Well take care everyone Marie hope your feeling better too. You sure don't let much keep you down.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:33 AM   #769  

S/C/G: 254/236.5/179

Height: 5'6

Go, Marie . Congrats again on losing enarly 40 pounds in six months, and doing it the old-fashioned way--you've earned it.

Okay, I know some folks (like my family in OH) are already dealing with snow, and I'm a Midwesterner, so I know what cold weather really is! The weather in DC is nothing to complain about. But this time of year, the temperature fluctuates so dramatically in the course of a day. A 50-degree day can mean 40 when I head out for the subway, nearly 60 if I step out for lunch, and 35 as I wait for the shuttle from the subway back home when the sun goes down. I look at my coat closet in the morning, and dither for 15 minutes over whether or not I need a light coat, a wool jacket, hat or not, etc. I'll get the hang of this soon--just in time for it to be flat-out cold all day .

Penny, I will trot over to Trader Joe's this weekend and re-aquaint myself with sprout bread, etc. I have to do a couple more tests, but I don't think I have anything as serious as celiac disease or IBS, so I hope that after this trial period, at the most I'll just need to minimize wheat consumption over the long run.

Carol, I've jsut begun experiementing with my new crock pot...yum!!!

judy
Old 10-26-2006, 09:24 PM   #770  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi everyone,

Well the dr. didn't do the carve out today. It's scheduled for the 21st. Wonderfully, he also didn't freeze it again because he said after this many times it wouldn't work. So my feet are happy. Heck so am I but I was pysched (ready) for the procedure. Now I have to think about it again. Oh well. I also did my 5 miles this morning so I have the evening free. I decided I like not exercising twice in the day so I'm going to get up 15 minutes earlier and be fast at getting ready after my workout. We'll see how tomorrow goes...

Judy, oh I understand about the swing of temperatures. It was 20 this morning and 65 this afternoon. All I can say is layers. But I'm always cold so I rarely take the layers off. Good luck at Trader Joe's at finding foods to fit the gluten-free.

Penny, you're on. Forty to go. Tomorrow is weighin so maybe 39??? I've had plantar warts all my life and I just don't have the antibody to fight them. I'm hoping when this one is gone that maybe I'll never get another (ha, likely...NOT).

Carol, I have sweets every day. I have a half ounce of darck chocolate M&Ms after lunch (about 70 calories) and every night I have an ice cream cone (Oreo cone) with 1 cup of ice cream (light). It is my savior on the diet. About 320 calories. So of my 1500 calories I eat nearly 400 non-nutritious calories. But it works and I'm happy. Such an understatement.

Well, time to work on dinner. TTYL.
Marie
Old 10-27-2006, 06:58 AM   #771  
fIREFLY

Marie hey thanks for the good info. I also crave some type of sweet most of the time but sometimes something crunchy. I bought some pretzels Paul Newman brand with pepper in them kind of different and only 120 cals. I dipped them in my hummus yesterday. I did make some better for me choices yesterday. One of the girls asked me to go to the store with her its a huge chain store with everything under the sun there. I ordered subs for some of my coworker oh how I really wanted one but I went with a bowl of chili instead to go with my spinach salad. I did know that for dinner I was having spaghetti and Italian bread. Which I started in the crock before work what a nice idea. It was great to come home to. I had a half of choc. bar afterwards but that was it. The hubby got the other half. He is too thin wish sometimes I would have that problem. But some of it is to do with his activity level even with his disability he keeps active, doesn't always stop to eat and certainly could careless about eating healthy. Oh sometimes we can be so different but it makes the world go around I guess. Today I am off from work and planning a fun day with the girl friends. Then this evening with the grandkids to the zoo. Its called the boo zoo all set for halloween we haven't ever been at this time of year. Should be fun and some more walking. The little grandson and I were hanging out last night and did some floor exercises together. I just cracked right up he is such a little love.
Take care and have a great day. Congrats to you folks who've lost I am hanging in there going for a monday scale day. I figure it might keep me better on track this weekend. I have purchased some apples to eat before meal time their suppose to fill you and add fiber. Kept my cals under 1500 yesterday and 1400 the day before. Hurray!
Old 10-27-2006, 11:38 AM   #772  
Brit Chick

The scale finally moved and I'm down 2 lbs. to 185 - my 'halfway' mark! I couldn't believe it at first, so I got out my old ''backup" scale and it showed the same. I've lost 40 lbs. since I started this journey 2 years ago and it's finally sinking in that I CAN DO THIS!

Carol - I hope you and the grandkids had a good time at the boo zoo. Good for you for avoiding temptation - it's always a good idea to have something delicious but healthy to look forward to when you get home.

Marie - I feel for you with the plantars. You are very stoic to keep going with all the walking and jogging. I'm with you about having something sweet every day. I don't think I could have stuck to my 'diet' without a treat (or two!) every day. My typical treats are a patisserie stick from Trader Joe's (60 calories) with my mid-morning latte and a small slice of Amish friendship bread that I make from a starter my neighbor gave me (200 calories) in the mid-afternoon with my tea. I don't think I'd ever be able to cut out my treats! My new program on *********** is a bit more flexible (1450-1750 calories per day). I tend to eat in the higher end of the range, but it seems to be working as I've lost more weight in a shorter period of time than I have before.

Judy - Crock pots are great and easy - there's so many good recipes on the web. I hope you are doing ok with cutting out gluten. Even if you reduce it a bit I'm sure it will help you to lose as foods high in gluten are also high in carbs. The weather is changing here too - very foggy and 37 deg. this morning brrrr!

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 10-27-2006, 11:56 AM   #773  

Hooray, Penny! That's wonderful news, congratulations. And I love that smilie, too. But I would amend your victory statement, since not only can you do this, but you are doing this!

Carol, the National Zoo here has fun stuff for the kids, too, as do some of the Smithsonian museums, which are hosting outdoor nighttime programs. Your grandson sounds like a sweetheart, I know he loves his Grandma! I wish I could remember what it was like to feel so free and unselfconscious in my body.

Marie, I agree with you on not wanting to feel like you can't have something you really love. And they say that dark chocolate is good for you, anyway, antioxidants or something...the trick is just having a little bit. I can't be around M&Ms. I want to buy some candy for the trick-or-treaters in my neighborhood, and I always get stuck with a lot more than I need. So this year I will purposely buy something I don't like, like licorice, so I don't feel at all tempted to eat any of it.

I'm still coughing too much in the morning to work out. I am feeling better each day, so the end is in sight....I changed my avatar again, I seem to be down two more pounds. After this, I'll go back to my old practice of waiting until Sundays to change it. Who knows, if I'm going to start losing again, maybe I'll reinstate my ticker. It was the opposite of motivating to have it sitting so long and not moving in the right direction, so I just stopped using it. Something is good is happening internally, after just a few gluten-free days. I'm eating less than ever but I'm not at all hungry, even in the evening. It will be interesting to see what happens once I start working out again (which I hope will be this weekend).

Have a great weekend, y'all!

judy
Old 10-27-2006, 06:34 PM   #774  
Lifelong Journey Member

Happy Friday my friends,

Judy, glad you are feeling better and I saw on your s/C/G that you went under 230. WAY TO GO!!! That's awesome that you're not feeing hungry. I'm hungry at the moment. I'm pretty sure there is something miscalculating calories in the dinner I cooked last night and had for leftovers this lunch. I'm literally living with a growling stomach. Very odd for me.

Carol, great job on the 2 days of lower calories. You're on your way. Have a great time at the boo zoo that such a cool name.

Penny, WAY TO GO!! You loser you. Why's the name of your program starred out **********? Half way to my goal is 38.5 pounds - I'm .3 short. Maybe by Tuesday.

I lost .6 pounds since Tuesday and I did another 3 mile jog and 2 mile walk/kickboxing before work. and it's Friday. One would think I'd be bouncing off the ceiling but I'm in a mood today. Very easily ticked off. Very strange for me. Hopefully it'll go away by the time I get home (1 hour from now).

Marie
Old 10-27-2006, 07:03 PM   #775  
Brit Chick

Marie - You are sooooo close to half-way! I'm rooting for you! I think they starred out the website because they feel it's competitive in some way - though I don't know how. Anyway, in case you want to know, I'm gonna cheat - it's S p a r k P e o p l e. Ha Ha
Old 10-28-2006, 04:25 PM   #776  

Hope everyone is feeling good today!

The sun popped out after torrential rains (and some really cool-looking clouds, all silver and unreal, somehow), so it felt good to out walking around for a while. I'm breathing better and coughing less, although the perpetual sinus headache is still with me, after over two weeks. I will do an "intestinal permeability" test and start taking a thyroid pill tomorrow. Perhaps this will help me figure out more about what's been going on. Since the end of the summer, I seem to have full TOMs every three weeks or so, which may be yet another factor to throw into the mix of my body's peculiar behavior this year. What next, I wonder?

Life without gluten isn't so bad, I just have to pay attention to the small print. Alas, even Ezekiel bread has gluten, so I bought gluten-free "french rolls" from Trader Joe's. They're okay if you split one in half and toast it. Meanwhile, I'm going to try a new crockpot receipe tomorrow--and clean house, I've been too listless to even run my Roomba, and you can't get much lazier than that

Good luck with the scale on Monday, Carol! Maybe the little ghouls at the zoo helped to scare off a few more calories.

judy
Old 10-29-2006, 09:18 PM   #777  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi Judy, sorry you're still a little out of it. 2 weeks of a sinus headache would push me over the edge.

I'm glad it's weekend but I'm still a little bit in a funk. Not bad, per se, but still a little touchy (easily pissed off). I don't like it and I hope it goes away soon. Usually exercise cures it but not the last 3 days.

I didn't feel like walking/jogging today so I rode the exercycle 10 miles. Took 46 minutes. I put in my Elton John DVD and watched a Madison Square Garden concert while pedalling. I'm thinking that perhaps I'll add exercycle once or twice a week for variety and working the muscles differently.

I cleaned like a maniac today. I can't keep up with DH, DS, DS's GF and DGS. Mess bugs me so that didn't help the last couple days.

Tonight is steak night and homemade bread (Isorry Judy). Others are having potatoes, but I haven't been an angel and need to make sure I don't blow my calories. I also made a Mint Fudge cake that is too die for and only has about 150 calories a slice. No added fat (applesauce). I used Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder and it should be great. So I still should stay within the calories - maybe...
Marie
Old 10-30-2006, 10:02 PM   #778  
Brit Chick

Judy - I hope your sinuses clear up soon. You've been suffering too long with that awful cold. I was diagnosed with intestinal permeability by my naturopath, but I didn't have a test - he just went by my symptoms. I'm curious what kind of test it is if you don't mind sharing the info. I was told that it was the cause of some food sensitivities (not allergies) that was causing my IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). It still flares up quite often and I never know exactly what will set it off.

Right now I'm trying very high doses of acidophilus (Continental brand). It's kind of like liquid yogurt but very concentrated (7.5 billion good bacteria per tbsp.!) It tastes good - strawberry flavor. I take six tbsp. per day. Most health food stores have it in the refrigerated section. My doc thinks the permeability was caused by me going on antibiotics so many times, killing off my 'good' flora & fauna which caused the protective coating of my intestines to become worn off. I just finished another course of very strong antibiotics for my bladder infection, so I hope I'm not screwed up even further! There are some schools of thought that believe intestinal permeability is responsible for all kinds of ailments, such as autoimmune diseases like arthritis. I hope you get a good result from your test.

Marie - That fudge cake sounds good - not too bad in calories. I'm baking up a whole bunch of mini loaves for an upcoming bake sale that my ladies group has every year. Unfortunately, they are NOT the low-cal kind and of course I have to 'try' them to make sure they're turning out ok. That's a good idea to switch to a different exercise now and then. I'll have to dust off my exercise bike. If only the seat wasn't so darned hard! I hope you've gotten out of your funk and are feeling more upbeat.

I've decided to get weighed and measured once every two months at Curves so that I have some accountability and motivation to lose the next 40 lbs.

Have a good Tuesday everyone!
Old 10-31-2006, 06:28 AM   #779  
fIREFLY

Penny congrats on your loss. Boy its not easy lots of temptations this month too many birthdays at once. Judy were you on thyroid meds before? I have been for about 25 years now wow! I have also had the surgery about 20 years ago due to a tumor. I have been pretty good with the regulating with meds but lately its been a bit out of wack. Finding the exact dosage isn't so easy for me. But it could be why you have been so sick. When mine is off I tend to catch everything my imune system gets off. It also is a time when my wt. is off too. So I hope for you that it helps give you a new start to feeling good and have more energy too. Thats when its really working hard for us and regulated just right. Sounds like you have a good doctor. Sinus infections yuk I have had my share of mine over the years. Hope your all feeling better. So far I have been lucky I guess. Everyone in my office seems to have sinus or allergy problems they think its sick building syndrome. But the company says no but really hasn't ck'd it out. I wish they would though. I wish we had a Traders Joe here. We do have alot of health foods though. We have a big store chain Wegmans and they carry alot of health foods. Gluten free bagels or english muffins Judy. Nothing is ever easy to give up but thank goodness your didn't have to do this years ago when stuff wasn't so readily available. I am glad to see the end of the month as far as parties go. I love them grandkids but 2 birhtdays and then a friends at work today. Wow! We are planning a lunch in at work. I am bringing salad and made homemade dressing. I will eat a lighter dinner tonight as they are bringing in baked zita I will have some but watch my portions today. Its halloween and time to walk the neighborhood with the little one tonight at my daughters house. That will be todays exercise. Not the best but some other than walking into work and doing the stairs. Good luck with your efforts girls God give me strength. Have a super day and HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-31-2006, 10:50 AM   #780  

Boo! I'm wearing my bat earrings today. They're more tasteful for the workplace than my jack-o'-lantern earrings or my big purple ghoulie hunchback earrings, I think . I usually have just a few trick-or-treaters stop by, so I bought a few mini-Oreos and Fig Newtons--and will wear my tacky earrings!

Marie, I hope you're feeling a little more centered today. Maybe you need to do a little something special for yourself, or take a mental health day away from home and work...

Penny, you've nailed what the doc from the clinic (not my primary doc) is thinking about how my body is reacting to foods and meds. For some people, sensitivities and allergies mess up the walls of the small intestines, in the worst-case scenario leading to celiac disease, and of course affecting IBS. Too much "permeability" or leaky intestines (yuck!) keeps your body from absorbing nutrients properly, and along with interferring with the digestive process, sets off other reactions like inflammations elsewhere in your body. The test is basically collecting pee, drinking a lactose/mannitol solution, collecting more pee for six hours (and not eating several types of food in the meantime), and sending "specimens" to the lab. I have to say that I've never had a doctor tell me more than eat more and exercise less, so the investment I've made in this integrative medical clinic is already money well spent!

Carol, this my first time on thyroid meds. I've always been told that I'm on the margin, but maybe it will make a difference. I feel a little pukey in the mornings, so I hope my body adjusts soon. Are you going to go in costume tonight with your GS? One of my co-workers is sad because her young son doesn't want his mama to go with him tonight....I think she plans to skulk along behind him anyway.

judy
Closed Thread