Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 06:30 PM   #901  

S/C/G: 254/236.5/179

Height: 5'6

I'm back from a very fun trip to NYC. The folks I met with surprised me with a special dinner Thursday evening (I'm ''retiring" from the board of directors), and gave me a huge bouquet of flowers and a massive piece of artwork which they'll have to ship to my office. Needless to say I ate and drank like a person who's not trying to lose weight....but I made better choices the rest of the trip. I stayed at a lovely Brooklyn guesthouse, and had fun gift-shopping before I left on Saturday. I've been housecleaning, and just mailed 50 Xmas cards. The skin on my poor knee looks like something out of the leper scene in "Ben-Hur," but I walked a lot in New York, as always, and I walked nearly an hour this afternoon. I think I can climb in and out of the machines at Curves on Monday without cursing , and I am desperate to get back to my workout schedule. It doesn't look too good for my New Year's goal, but if I can end the year with some momentum despite the setback, I'll be content. Not happy, but content.

Penny, I'm so glad that you're feeling better, and that the storm wasn't too terrible for you. It's such a drag to lose power for an extended period of time. I don't know how those cavewomen did it .

Marie, happy vacation! Mine start's on Wednesday, and I won't be back to the office until 1/2, yippee! I do love Cesar the Dog Whisperer, although I've never owned dog. Sometimes I see people on the street talking with their dogs as if the mutt was fluent in English. Remember that old "Far Side" cartoon, of what a dog hears ("Blablablablabla...")? Plus Cesar's kinda cute and moves like a dancer.

Carol, I hope you're pacing yourself! It would be a total drag to be sick by the time the big day rolls around. I wold be hard pressed to do all that baking and not nibble all the time. Officially avoiding wheat is the only thing saving me this year, and still I find plenty of gluten-free alternatives, like chocolate...

Gotta run, back tomorrow.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:54 PM   #902  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Happy Sunday Everyone!!! The snowshoeing was great. So are you ready for this??? Last year we went once and I was miserable - I could hardly make it to my tree (I have a tree there even though noody but my family and now my co-worker know it). Anyway, I made it to the tree last year but had to climb back up. It was horrible. I'd say it's what started my new year's resolution and the walking since then. So fast forward to today and zoom. I had to wait for my co-worker and his wife. I knew the points that I would ahve been ready to pass out so DH and I stopped and waited. I did great. I hardly breathed ard although I did sweat (even though it was 20 degrees out - sunny and no wind). It was a great workout but it wasn't hard. I CAN NOT wait to go back. Last year I didn't want to go back ever. To be honest, that was better than the losing weight happiness all year. This was so significant. By the way, I checked my whole spreadsheet and have less than 30 miles to go on the walking/jogging to hit 1000 miles for 2006. I am going to make it even though I'm enjoying the cycling so much. Pretty amazing.

Judy, sounds like you had a great time and you're healing from your fall. On the missed goal idea, keep in mind your body will only lose weight at the rate it wants, pretty much no matter what we do. I've been on a plateau for 6 weeks and it seems pretty stuck with me. Doesn't matter that I exercise like a fiend or that I cap my calories at 1700. I just am not losing. So the moral is to just keep on track and strive towards the destination no matter how fast or slow you arrive. And being part of real life means that you live occasionally without worry of the calorie content.

Last night we went to the Winter Lights display at a local park. It was awesome (my favorite part of the holidays is the decorated houses). So it was like a feeding frenzy for my eyes. We had a great time. Some of my favorite baroque music was piped through the sound system so it was wonderful.

Penny your soap designs sound so pretty. The extra touch is great. I'm glad that your electricity wasn't out for long. My father called in a panic about the weather and I said it was all north of us. He was relieved and then told me he almost called in me in the middle of the night because he was worried. Nice that I'm loved but I would have been mad if my night sleep was interrupted.

Well, it is dinner time so I should go but that reminds me - my co-worker and wife packed a nice picnic and I totally forgot to. I brought no food. None, zip, zippo. I brought plenty of water but thought of food never crossed my mind. Who would ahve guessed???
Marie
Old 12-18-2006, 06:53 AM   #903  
fIREFLY

S/C/G: 179/172.5/165

Height: 5'7''

Judy NYC sounded great and you deserve the lovely gift from the board. You do a lot and put yourself right out there everytime they needed you I bet. Well Marie and you are on vac. I am jealous. Working til thurs. but another Christmas Party on wed. I did get into those naughty cookies yesterday! Nutmeg logs are a favorite right next to the cutouts with my family. I made a double batch. The little grandson did well helping and he really did help. Thank God he knows how to roll snacks with play dough cause thats what he did with the dough then I assisted him with cutting to the proper lengths. He helped with the clean up. In another year the four grandkids can all help together and I will have my own cookie factory going. I think its great to have them assist. Some of my favorite memories are helping my Polish Grandma Rose in the kitchen especially on Christmas Eve. We'd always go to Kmart for a few last min. things while the dough was rising. Now I make the bread for Christmas Eve with like 12 cups of flour. Its great to pass down traditions and I can say we have quite a few and I am grateful for them. At any rate the party went well shopping is almost complete and my youngest wrapped presents for me while I baked cookies with her little one. So my wrapping is almost complete. Now I have to go shop for a few clients I requested funds for a special gift to give to make them feel good too. I am grateful for the funds that are being donated from other organizations and food basket for one family. So I will wrap those up today or Tues. and del. that makes me feel great. We have a office party on Tues. I am going to the gym this afternoon. I also found a nice dress to ck out after Christmas for my daughters wedding. Gotta go try it on and have her see it. Time is flying by. My calories intake this weekend is pooo! But I did rock in the marthon walking contest shopping my feet and hips hurt afterwards so I know I wore off a few cals. saturday. But not sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The soap idea is one I will keep in mind thanks for your thoughts on that Penny. Yes I loved the way they looked after wrapping them in see threw wrap we finished them off in a white shiny netting and put a nice bow on top. I did a few jar mixes last night as gifts. Yah can find so many recipes on the web. What did we ever do without it years ago?Marie big congrats to you on that snow shoeing! I bet you were so pleased with yourself and have every right to be! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! Keep it up and think where you will be at by next Christmas! Marie thanks for the DVD's they came Saturday and wrapped last night. Thanks and did you get your ck.? I hope so let me? Take care everyone and have a super day!
Old 12-18-2006, 05:37 PM   #904  

Marie, congratulations for setting a personal best in snowshoeing . You must have been on Cloud Nine. Thanks for the pep talk. I will just focus on doing my best each day, and it will all add up (or subtract, depending on how you look at it!).

Mrs. Claus, you are still at it, I see . Penny, I hope you're doing well today.

I did a full aerobic workout this morning, hooray! I don't know how those football player do it, pushing themselves to play when they are bruised, bleeding and cracked. Drugs, I guess . It felt good to sweat. I'm off to Curves in a few minutes. My colleagues celebrated my birthday with one of those big fruit boquets. The pineapples, strawberries, etc., were amazingly fresh, yum, yum. Our office party is at a nice restaurant tomorrow. I've already decided what I'm ordering, more or less, so I should be in good shape.

See you tomorrow--judy
Old 12-18-2006, 09:08 PM   #905  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Judy - Welcome back from your trip to NY. It must be gratifying to know that your work is appreciated so much. You deserve to celebrate. I got a kick out of your comparison with football players re your hard workout! I bet you worked off a lot of those extra calories. I was recently at a party where they had one of those 'fruit bouquets'. What a great idea - it was a big hit. They also had chocolate dipping sauce with that one - a bit of a no-no but still a lot better than a big slab of cheesecake!

Carol - I know you're already known as Mrs. Claus around here, but I'll call you Christmas Carol! You certainly know how to get in the spirit of the holidays and I admire all your energy and creativity. Your soap wrappings sound lovely. What a cute idea to get all your grandkids involved in making cookies. They will always remember that tradition.

Marie - It was great to hear how much easier it was for you this year to do the physical exertion required for snowshoeing. I'm glad you made it to 'your' tree with ease. What a difference a year makes. Your commitment to exericse is really paying off - a great Christmas present to yourself!

I'm back to exercising regularly and it feels good. I made some more mince pies and ate just one which I worked into my calories. I'm up 2 lbs. from my lowest weight, but not too worried as I'm getting lots of compliments from people I haven't seen for a year and I intend to get these couple of pounds off as soon as the festivities are over. Considering I usually gained 5 lbs.+ (and kept it!) in the past during the holidays, I think I'm doing quite well.

I made a nice smoked salmon fritata from some of the big Alaskan salmon filet that one of our clients sent us and it was delicious. It has potato, eggbeaters, chives, smoked salmon and cream cheese bits on it and works out about 250 calories for a BIG portion. Great for breakfast or a light meal.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:41 AM   #906  
fIREFLY

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JUDY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How did I miss that? Yeah I am still at it. I had a phone call from the oldest daughter last night. She said my grandson needed 24 cutout cookies for the school party and the kids were decorating them. I said D I am all done baking. She is in the middle of remodeling the kitchen no sink etc. Well she said I will use that dough from the store and just throw some together. The hubby was up at 4 to take his brother to the airport. This crazy Mrs. Claus got up at 4:30 a.m. and said I'm going to do his cookies he can't take store bought when gram makes so many its just not right. So they are all baked , kitchen back to normal and there ready to go in a tupperware container. Sometimes it feels good just to beable to help out and now my day has started off nicely. Thats my christmas story of the day! Hope you all are feeling chipper this a.m. and off to a good start as well with something fun to do. The count down is here! I still have to shop for a few clients but thats no pressure easy to do they will be happy with what ever I choose. And I feel pretty pleased to beable to help out. I lneed to sew a little hand bag for my SIL to carry with velcro to hold it closed it will be really easy. Judy good for you pre thinking out what you will have. We are having our lunchoen today everyone is bringing in something. I am of course bringing a plate of homemade cookies and chicken wing dip with scoop chips. It will not be a calories free day by any means. My breakfast was a broken christmas tree cookie I had to taste them different recipe and a banana. Lunch will be my higher meal of course and dinner a salad with some blk beans in it for protein. Penny that strata sounded wonderful. I have never had smoked salmon but like broiled salmon with lemon and dill. No one else here likes it bah hum bug on them. So fussy I tell yah. Last night I made homemade chicken noodle soup from the broth of cooking up my chicken breast for todays dip. I used the pressure cooker. I have one of the newer ones and the little nob stays attached and the kettle won't open from lock til its cooled off enough. Its a quick way to cook soups or a roast etc. I really should use it more often. Well haven't gotten on the scale I think it will be a friday thing this week. Need to increase my water intake I am slacking off in that area I know. Well take care girls and everyone keep up the good work and we will all be happy and heatlhier than ever! I feel good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh I am high on life this morning I will probably crash at some point today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-19-2006, 11:02 AM   #907  
Lifelong Journey Member

Morning everyone. I had a nice surprise this morning. I lost a little over a pound. How??? I have no idea. For the last 3 days I haven't logged my food even though I've been relatively so-so. But since it is Tuesday, I made myself get on the evil box even though I swore it would be up. Wow, it wasn't. I re-weighed 3 times thinking it was tricking me. So I'm going to change my tracker. I've now lost 40 pounds. Let's hope I can keep it off the next week. Christmas eating is a downfall for sure.

I walked 3 miles this morning and will walk 2 more with the doggies a little later. I don't feel great - perhaps a touch of a cold. I've lost my voice two mornings in a row but so far it seems to be coming back. Just a little sore throat. So I decided not to jog. Oh and I started using my almost DIL's ab lounger today. I don't hold high hopes for my flabby mid section after years of being overweight and having 2 kids, but I can try - right???

Yesterday was Kody's second private lesson and I made DH come with me as well as Blizzie. He is such a prince in the training center, but take him outdoors with Blizzie (my Alaskan Husky) and he's back to being a donkey. So the trainer went outside with us and saw first hand what a donkey he is. She actually worked with him for most of the lesson. Then after he gave in, she gave him back to me and had me work with him. Now she sees what I meant of what a jacka$$ he is. But he definitely learned a lot yesterday. The walk today should give tell to whether I can do what she does.

Judy, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! How did we miss it. I was reading your post going "HUH???? When was it???" I'm glad your friends were thoughtful and did the fruit bouquet. I love when people don't sabotage me when they know lots of foods are forbidden. Those are friends to treasure.

Penny, I'm glad you're feeling better and back to exercising. Even though I feel a little down, I did an easier workout (hence the walking not jogging). It almost always makes me feel better. Now the salmon frittata sounds icky, but my belief is that you swim with the fishies, you do not eat the fishies. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Carol, that was so cool that you made your DGS the cookies. To be honest, I would have been shocked if you hadn't. Mrs. Claus would never say no!!! BTW, I got the card and check yesterday. Thanks much and I love the card. Penny is right, you definitely are in the holiday spirit.

I'm trying something new this year. I'm wrapping a couple presents every day. Usually I postpone until Christmas Eve (I've been up to midnight trying to get it all wrapped in the past) but I thought I'd do a better job if I had fun doing it. So I took out the wrapping stuff and put it on my craft bench and started yesterday. My packages look better so far this year.
Marie
Old 12-19-2006, 05:48 PM   #908  

Thanks for the b-day greetings . Since it's so close to Xmas, I've always been kinda low-key about my birthday. I spent the evening at Curves, and went home to wait for the annual round of call from my mom and other family members.

Penny, when I was a kid, mince pies were one of those things I'd heard about, like figgy pudding or blancmange, that I figured ancient people from days of yore ate in poems or whatever. I got to have mince pies when I was an adult, and thought they were pretty good! I love smoked salmon, too. You can get it here, but the quality is so much better (and a better bargain) in your neck of the woods, I always bring some back whenever I'm in the Northwest. I think you're doing quite well, too .

Carol, who would have though that pressure cookers would ever come back in style? For years people couldn't give them away at a garage sale. Oh, well...I hope you're getting some rest this evening.

Marie, you are doing so well . Take care of your sinuses, you may have the beginnings of a little post-nasal drip. I get that when the air is too dry. Maybe you need to break out the humidifier? Sounds like doggie school is educational, for you at least, if not for your furry ones.

Good news and bad news re the office party: the good news is that we had a great time, I got a pair of beautiful amber earrings, and I ordered a small salad, tilapia, rice and veggies. The bad news is that I also had two glasses of wine, not one, and some incredibly good flourless chocolate cake. So I'll walk extra tonight, have a plain protein shake for dinner and work out extra in the morning.

See you on Wednesday!

judy

Last edited by judydc; 12-19-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:48 PM   #909  
Brit Chick

Judy - Oops, I forgot to say Happy Birthday in my last post - my bad!! So HAPPY BIRTHDAY! . I hope it was a good one. I guess I'm one of those ancient people of yore because I love mince pies - but only around Christmas. I don't crave them any other time of the year - it must be a childhood memory thing. Now, if only I didn't crave other fattening stuff throughtout the year! Your office party sounded good. I like Tilapia too and we have it about once a week. The amber earrings you received were a nice gift.

Marie - Yay for you losing a pound+! Congrats on losing 40 lbs.! It's funny how we think the scale is tricking us when it shows a loss. Except I think it's tricking me all the time! That's why I have this weird habit of weighing myself, kicking the scale twice and then weighing again. Talk about compulsive behavior. I'm glad your doggies are making progress in school. I hope you sinuses clear up before Christmas.

Carol - You are the baking queen! I'm amazed how you turn out the cookies from scratch at 4:30am without batting an eyelid! I hope the shopping for your clients goes well. You sure go above an beyond the call of duty. Your upbeat attitude is a real inspiration at this hectic time of the year.

I'm doing better calorie wise today and we're going out for sushi with our DS tonight so that's a nice light supper. My DH is flying to Oakland, CA tomorrow morning very early for a couple of days. They're predicting freezing rain so it's going to be a bit dicey for him driving to the airport. Luckily, he's had lots of driving experience in bad weather, since we lived near Toronto for a couple of years and he's originally from Switzerland, where they drive in all kinds of weather. It's the other people on the road who won't slow down when it's icy that you have to watch out for.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:00 AM   #910  
fIREFLY

Oh shopping on a strick budget of 20 a piece is tough. But my cool younger man go a Yankee hooded sweat shirt really nice, the other two a polar fleece zip up. Oh one girl to go and I want to find her something special today. Well my DIL called yesterday evening and asked if she could open the boxes that arrived. I said one has cookies that one is from us and the other everything is wrapped so put it all under the tree. They are trying hard to stay out of the gifts til christmas. Thats really cool and will be more fun that morning having a few things from us. She was so excited like a little magic came her way oh how I loved that call. Christmas is giving and I love it. Wish I had more to give! But with limits we all find other ways to give of our selfs. Last night I made a little hand bag for my sister inlaw she is always losing her change purse. Now a little cloth strapped bag will help her out. Hope she likes it. I lined it with satin from some old PJ's hah hah! It will help her hand to slide in and out better. Judy, Marie and Penny this time of year is really hard on the calorie end! Party again tonight lunchoen yesterday. Too much food! Hey grandma used to make mince meat pie. I never had the course at a young age to try it my dad loved it. What is even in it? How dum am I? Well wrapping is done here Marie I recruited my youngest. She knows and recognizes all I do and always is willing to lend a hand. Of course she only has one child v.s. 3 etc. homework etc.... So I totally understand. I have wrapped a bit myself but the tree is loaded underneath. Well gotta go have some breakfast.
Have a great day and Marie how in the world did yah lose at Christmas I WANT the secret to that.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:52 AM   #911  
Lifelong Journey Member

Carol, you make me laugh. The secret - don't lose for 6 weeks before that. My hubby likes mince pie but I've never made it and it never occured to me to make it. Bad me...

Penny, eeks, the roads were bad yesterday. Almost DIL and I did an impromptu trip over the mountains. It was a beautiful, sunny day and we had a couple last things to get. As soon as we were about 5 miles out of Keno (where I really live), the roads deteriorated. Then as we descended in elevation (much to my ears dismay) the roads improved, but Medford was a little foggy. When we left, their temp had dropped and the fog froze on the roads. It was a long drive home. So I hope your hubby has better luck. I would never have guessed bad road conditions yesterday. Ah, but we did have fun.

Judy, one extra glass of wine certainly isn't going to do you in. Just think how much more control you're having this year than in years past. Come January you'll be right on board and losing like a hot chickie!

I am definitely sick - I feel blah and tired after being up for almost 2 hours. I did walk 3 miles and that was the only time I felt so-so. My voice is gone again this morning but maybe it'll come back when others wake up. My doggies don't care if I whisper.

I shall chat wiht you tomorrow.
Marie
Old 12-20-2006, 07:11 PM   #912  

Be careful in that awful weather, Penny and Marie! It looks pretty scary on the news.

Carol, the little changepurse sounds really sweet. I barely have the patience to fix a hem. But my how-to-knit DVD came just before I left, so I will have something to do with my hands.

I had a good workout before leaving town this afternoon. I brought my workout DVDs so I can move a little while I'm here. We're going grocery shopping tomorrow, so I can make sure that I have plenty of good choices.

I'll check back in tomorrow. Keep it going!

Judy
Old 12-20-2006, 08:53 PM   #913  
Brit Chick

Carol - Sometimes shopping on a fixed budget makes you creative! That's how I got into making soaps for a 'pass the parcel' gift which was limited to $15. I found a lovely Mikasa Christmas plate on sale for $10 and made a bunch of soaps to go with it. It was the most popular gift and looked like I spent a lot more. Mince pies are made with a rich pastry crust (I make mini ones in a mini muffin tin) and filled with mincemeat, which traditionally has raisins, apples, cinnamon and other spices like nutmeg and cloves. The original kind also had beef suet in it but that's hard to find these days. I buy the Nonesuch brand with added brandy and rum which is very good. No wonder the guys love them!

Marie - Take it from me - don't start making mince pies for your hubby as the cook tends to sample them too! Your trip over the mountain sounded a bit sketchy - luckily it went ok for you and I'm glad you had fun. I hope your sore throat clears up soon. My Dad's favorite remedy for a sore throat was to tie a pair of smelly socks or panty hose around your throat! How weird is that??? One day they'll tell us that dirty socks can cure the common cold. He also believes in hot lemon juice and honey which is a lot more pleasant!

Judy - We just dodged the bullet with the ice storm as it stayed in the Columbia Gorge. I was on the way to the mall today and the temp was 34 deg. and it started raining. Thankfully, the blacktop wasn't cold enough for it to stick as ice.

I did my workout at Curves and some vacuuming, so hopefully that burnt off some calories. My DH is getting back early from Oakland tonight, so I'm glad the temperature has warmed up a bit.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:04 AM   #914  
fIREFLY

Marie hope your feeling better soon. Not fun being sick near the holidays. So far one storm is all we had and we are back up into the 40's and low 50's just crazy weather for us snow belt people here. Penny and Marie at least you will have snow for christmas I think this one is going to be green??? Judy enjoy your trip and have a wonderful holiday. Knitting is fun and does keep us out of food can't put food in your mouth and knit without stopping of course. I am still making a sweater never finished it yet. Boy I wonder why??? Oh Penny glad yah got home before the rain froze. I hate the driving in bad weather too. So far we have been unseasonably lucky and I love it. Driving to work is so much less stressful. I always save a few days off for bad weather conditions. So far I haven't had to use them. I also would be sampling the mincemeat.. The Christmas party last night was okay I didn't do really bad had a bit of cheese and some rye bread dip but at least had fruit for dessert and only a dash of pasta, one small slice of cheese pizza. I am glad I went as my client had no family come. Thats hard when everyone else has someone there. Well take care girls and oh my dang hips are aching again. What is with that no change in my exercise etc. hopefully not arthritis. Well Marie have some green tea and knock that cold out of you. I am only working a half of day as my hrs. are over at this pt. from shopping and parties. Oh my guy loved his sweatshirt with the Yankees. I get to play Santa today and del. the rest of the gifts.
Take care.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:21 AM   #915  
Lifelong Journey Member

Morning everyone, Judy where did you fly off to this time? I must have missed it. I blame the cold making my head whoozy. Good for you on bringing the workouts. I loaded mine on my computer and brought it with me. I'm going to convert a few to my ipod so they'll always be with me.

Penny, careful on the wet blacktop at freezing temps. I didn't expect it in Medford and when we slid, I almost tossed my cookies. I'm glad your DH will be home soon. And the plateful of soaps - that is creative. Great job!!!

Carol, I'm glad your guy liked the sweatshirt. That must be fun playing Mrs. Claus with your clients. Enjoy the half day.

I'm feeling just a tad better. I faded fast yesterday and went back to bed after breakfast. Today, I'm feeling a bit more normal. Of course, I still exercised. At a reduced amount (3miles) and reduced intensity. I think today will be Christmassy since it is snowing very lightly. I downloaded from iTunes many Christmas carols, so I'm ready.

Talk to you later.
Marie
Closed Thread