Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 06:57 AM   #706  
fIREFLY

S/C/G: 179/172.5/165

Height: 5'7''

Penny ground bee's aren't nice at all. About 14 years ago my son mowing the lawn ran over a nest. He was stung several times and ended up in the emergency room. The poor guy ended up with an allergic reaction. His face looked like something from a monster show. It was so bad and deformed looking. I never ever saw anything like it. My heart went out to him. Tell your hubby I am so sorry you two had to go through that. By the way what kind of cookie is that is there one I haven't heard of or ever baked? I am sure you burned some calories and afterwards laughed at the way you must of looked.
Judy and Penny that fried chicken was something huh? Well today I have a lovely turkey breast in my crock pot with a bit of apple cider and canoli marg. on it. Judy soon they will discover what is up at the clinic and help you to lose more quickly most likely. There has to be some underlined problem as you really do pretty good.
Well today is the beginning of another week so I will try my best to get in some exercise, eat healthy and keep motivated. Other than a walk and some digging in the garden not an over abundance on exercise this weekend. I did go apple picking way back in the orchard that counted for my walk. I picked a half of bushel of lovely apples. Which I will take for my daily snacks. I have to try the ww baked apple recipe and ck online for some new recipes too. Penny I would like that chicken recipe. I use a lot of chicken. Well take care and stay health and wise throughtout your week.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:14 PM   #707  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Morning everyone, things are going good here. October has hit and I'm glad September is gone. In no way was it a good month - weightloss, health, walking wise. I've started October off with 3 miles both days. Food wise, I'm getting a little hungrier - hmmm, not to sure what to do about that. I've thought of raising the calories to 1600 from 1500 because if it take a month longer to reach goal, that's not a big deal and I do like where I'm at. But increasing is hard - might lead to failure. See I'm paranoid.

Judy, good to see you. Good luck on the tests and I hope the clinic helps. Last year I had a battery of tests and they were all normal. The reason I couldn't lose weight wa because of my mental health meds. Got rid of those and the weight now comes off (except not much in sept).

Carol, turkey breast - did you check the package for the % of additives??? That's the one that got me with tons of salt. It was a butterball turkey breast from costco. Still a healthy food, I just couldn't weigh afterwards.

Penny, hugs to your DH. We've had a ridiculous amount of bees this year in Klamath. They're buzzing my pool and the skimmer is filled with them. Of course it's dropped off now, but in August it was hard to swim.

Well, I suppose I should get back to work.

TTYL.
Marie
Old 10-02-2006, 06:45 PM   #708  

S/C/G: 254/236.5/179

Height: 5'6

Oh, good, Monday's almost over! I didn't get to work until after 1PM, after a morning of blood tests, drinking glucose (ewww, gross!) and cooling my heels at the doctor's office. The lab tech told me that I "have the blood pressure of a teenager" and scored higher than anyone else she's ever tested on some weird 'bioscan' that measures betacaretenoids or something. The little overachieving teacher's pet inside me was squirming with happiness, isn't that pathetic? I'll know the results of the bloodwork in a few weeks. In the meantime, I'm back to measuring my portions on the electronic scale and being strict about not nibbling in the evenings. I'm in town all this month and I want to make the best of it.

My techie wasn't able to work on my home computer after all, but thinking that he would forced me to clean my apartment. I rearranged more pictures and tchotchkies--it's funny how you stop 'seeing' things until you put them someplace else. So right now I'm happy with my little space.

Wow, I can't imagine being chased by a swarm of bees! I used to work with kids on the playgrounds in the summers, and some of those poor kids went into hysterics anytime a bee came within sight of them, so I had to be really cool and nonchalant (despite my own terror). I've only been stung once my whole life, so maybe my casual advice to the kids was true after all .

Marie, good work on the scales! I knew this would happen!

Penny, I hope you got some rest before the week started up again. I'd love to see you in your bee-killing garb--mauve, no less!

Carol, I've been lusting after crockpots for a while now. It seems indulgent for a single woman to invest in one. But I love cooking up big pots of stuff and freezing them for later on. And the new ones with the timers are better for me, since I tend to be gone for 10-11 hours or more on workdays.

Speaking of long hours and hot food, time to head home. I took some beef stew out of the freezer this morning, so that will be dinner, along with green beans. I had a good workout this morning, and got the week off to a good start.

be well--judy
Old 10-02-2006, 08:42 PM   #709  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Judy - I hope all your tests come out ok. I'm getting the results of mine on Wednesday. The waiting is always the worst part with tests. You did the right thing telling the kids at school to stay calm around bees. If you run and wave your arms about you get more stings! I think I've been successful destroying the nest. I put out a hornet trap for the rest of them that came back after I sprayed the nest wearing my special mauve beekkeeper outfit! I didn't want my DH to do it as he was stung pretty bad and some of the stings swelled up. If he were to get stung again he could get an allergic reaction as your body builds up antibodies after you've been stung the first time. My neighbor got stung on her arm the same day and her whole arm swelled up twice normal size!

Marie - I also get the munchies as soon as the weather gets cooler. I've started eating less for breakfast & lunch and saving the calories for later in the day and it was great this afternoon when I realized I still had 600 calories left for the rest of the day! I think it's a good idea to take it slower and have enough calories so that you don't get hungry. You are doing a lot of exercise so your body probably needs those extra calories. We had some Hormel turkey breast slices with gravy the other day and it was SO salty - won't get that again! It was quick and easy, but way too much bloating sodium.

Carol - Apple picking is fun this time of the year. We have lots of bosc pears this year (don't know why - we usually don't get many on our bosc trees).

Here is the recipe for the oven baked chicken. I clipped it from a magazine some time ago (serves 6):

3 lbs. skinless chicken pieces (I used thighs)
2/3 cup orange juice
grated zest from 1 orange
2 cloves garlic, crushed
4 cups cornflake crumbs
2 large eggs
salt & pepper
1/2 cup flour

Put chicken in a large bowl. Whisk oj, garlic and zest together and pour over chicken, turning to coat. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours turning chicken occasionally. Preheat oven to 350 deg. and line a large baking tray with foil and spray it well with pam. Put cornflake crumbs on a large plate, beat the eggs on another plate and put the flour on a third plate. Shake juice off the chicken pieces and dip each first into the flour, then egg, then the cornflake crumbs. Put the coated chicken pieces on the baking tray making sure they don't touch. Spray the chicken on top with pam and bake for 1 hour 10 min., or until cooked through. Put under the broiler for a few minutes to crisp up the tops. 312 calories (good sized portion), 32g protein, 24g carbs, 9g fat, 1g fiber, 155mg cholesterol and 360mg sodium.

If you don't care for using orange juice & zest, just soak in buttermilk instead.

As I mentioned to Marie, I'm saving some of my calories from breakfast & lunch for later in the day now that the days are getting cooler and I get hungrier in the afternoon and evening.

Have a good week everyone!
Old 10-03-2006, 07:15 AM   #710  
fIREFLY

Marie oh that pkg is in the trash I should of ck'd huh? Oh well to late now. But it was tasty. Yeah yah think something is so healthy and they go and ruin it with adding junk to it. I don't think they really need to go to the extemes with that junk. Glad to hear your back to your normal self with walking etc. Try to add in some higher fiber it is to keep us fuller longer. Try an apple or pear those are both higher and healthy. I am adding a 10:00 snack fruit most of the time as I eat breakfast by 6;30. Then an afternoon snack around 2 which helps me til I have dinner. Maybe you already do this?
Judy see your younger thatn you thought. I hope good things come your way with all these test etc. and the clinic. I got into a few dill chips last night now there in the downstairs ref. out of sight. When the kids come they will get the rest. I need to do some fall cleaning as well. Maybe this weekend we have mon. off too. Hurray a break! Saving vac. for the holidays now. I will take a little time off to enjoy it all. We keep hearing calm winter hope their all right on that matter. But I save a few days in case there needed. Penny thanks so much for the recipe I copied it and will try it soon. Sounds so yummy. I like new things like that so feel free to con't sharing. I am going to make some jam this weekend my grapes are so plentful. I have some pears from my tree but their so green and hard. I put them away to ripen up a bit. Well gotta go to work. I have another appt. with one of my guys for blood work this a.m. Getting it all done before winter time.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:33 PM   #711  

ummm...salty ham....I try to stay away from the deli meats with liquids and other stuff added, since sodium seems to be a main ingredient. Carol, you actually make grape jam, how cool! When I think upstate NY I think of grapes, so that makes sense. When I was a kid, I had a few relatives who 'put up' jams and jellies, but I think that's a rare thing anymore.

Penny, thanks for the recipe--it will help me the next time I get a mad craving from "fried" chicken. It doesn't happen all that often, but when it does, I gotta have it!

I'm haved a jumbled-up sort of day, not easy to focus on any one of the many things I'm supposed to be doing. Okay, time to concentrate on getting one thing done and off the do-do list in the next few hours....

judy
Old 10-03-2006, 08:09 PM   #712  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi Everyone, Judy, I know what you mean. The multi-tasking was at a high level today. At one point I just stared at my computer and wondered what in the world I was doing. Tuesdays aren't usually my favorite day so I'm glad it's over.

No weight loss to report form today's weighin. Not too surprised, I'm not sure the plateau is really over. 1.5 pounds for a month for me is very little (but I was happy) so I think my body is still fighting the losing.

I did walk 1 mile and jog 2 miles this morning. I also pulled out my lightbox and had it on while I exercised. A double whammy of happiness.

Carol, I'd love homemade grape jam. I made strawberry jam (freezer jam) in summer 2005 and I still have tons. So I didn't make any this year. I ordered some really lo-cal bagels based on the recommendation from my Hungry Girl newsletter. I've gotten stuff they've tried and liked before and have never lead me wrong. These bagels are 110 calories so I'd love your jam to top it.

Penny, I haven't figured out what to do calorie wise. For now I'm at an impasse. I hate plateaus and hunger. It's sort of a downer.

Well, we're going to interview again on Thursday. Icky.

TTYL.
Marie
Old 10-03-2006, 09:39 PM   #713  
Brit Chick

I started out today so great and had extra calories left over and then I blew it! My DH is out of town, so I guess I was a bit bored and also maybe it was the margarita I had after dinner, but I started snack, snack, snacking. Oh well, tomorrow is another day. I hate it when I have a major binge. Only getting 5 hours sleep last night might have something to do with it too!

Marie - I hope your job stress cools down a bit soon. I hope the interview gods are with you on Thursday!

Carol - I used to make a lot of blackberry jam - we had about 100' of blackberries. I would strain out all the seeds and the jam was wonderful. However, my DH decided to wage war on our blackberries and sprayed them all because they were taking over. I miss having them, but then again, at least I don't have to eat all that jam! I think I'll have to take up knitting too - at least it would keep my hands busy so I don't use them for stuffing food in my face!

Judy & Carol - I hope you enjoy the chicken recipe. I just bought some frozen chicken pieces from Trader Joe's so I think I'll make some for lunch tomorrow. Got to get back to healthy eating.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:34 PM   #714  

Okay, so I must be the only person who doesn't put up jams and jellies! I'm happy to eat them, though, and blackberry is just about my favorite. This is the time of year when we'd go to the apple butter festival in Ohio, where they would make enormous cauldrons of the stuff and slather it, still steaming hot, on warm baked bread. I haven't been in long, long time, but I still remember how wonderful it smelled and tasted.

Penny, I love margaritas on the rocks, but they are usually so sweet I might as well be drinking soda, so margaritas definitely set me off on a carb binge. Just stick to straight tequila .

Marie, I'm glad you're still losing, even if in the slow lane for a while. It's so cool that you're jogging now!

This morning was like an early summer morning, so I really enjoyed my walk to work. I'm thinking about what to do besides videos once the weather turns cold. The used rowing machine I bought may be a piece of junk--or at least not the best for someone my size--and my apartment building's management company still hasn't fixed up our so-called fitness center. I'm thinking of contacting the shopping mall that's near my subway stop and asking if they have a mall-walkers program. I'll come up with something!

judy
Old 10-04-2006, 08:43 PM   #715  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi Judy and Penny,

I love blackberry jam. Yummy!!! I do know what it's like to be overwhelmed by berries though. I planted way too many strawberries. I didn't finish the 2005 berries in the freezer before I started to add the 2006 berries. Of course I didn't mark any so who knows which year is which.

Judy, You should see if your local library has any Leslie Sansone's WATP videos. For some reason I like them and never mind exercising. At no point in my life have a kept exercising for 10 months without wanting to take a day or week or month or forever off. For some reason, they're great for us full figured gals. Easy on the joints and not hard to do.

Work was ok. I wish I'd win the lotto then I'd stay home and knit all day (on the machine seeing that I have no patience for taking 6 months to finish something). So Carol, yes I am knitting again. I'm making a Boucle wine colored cardigan. In a much smaller sized pattern than last year.

I'm lo on calories this late afternoon but I must keep my friend Penny's experience in the forefront of my mind. Made it this far without cheating I can do it. And so will Penny.

Talk to you tomorrow.
Marie
Old 10-04-2006, 09:15 PM   #716  
Brit Chick

Marie - is WATP just walking at home? I've heard it mentioned here on 3FC quite a bit but don't know much about it.

Judy - I don't use margarita mix - it's way too sweet. I use Paul Newman's limeade and mix it 50-50 with water and a shot of tequila. I only allow myself one of these a week as it tends to put me in binge mode!

I'm glad to say that I'm back on track today. I had 1576 calories, within my range of 1470 - 1770. I had a protein shake for breakfast and that seems to keep me going all day.

I got my results today. Thyroid - ok, blood panel ok, cholesterol - up a tad to 203 but I still have a healthy HDL/LDL ratio of 3.2. My C-Reactive Protein (a measurement of inflammation in the body) is UP! from 11 to 12 (anything over 3 is bad news) so my doc has suggested another supplement to try. I really don't want to go on statin drugs as my cholesterol is good. I was disappointed, because I figured losing the weight, working out, eating right, etc. would pay off . I've been trying to get it down for three years (highest was 14). I'll get rechecked again in two months and see what happens. At least I know I'm doing all that's humanly possible for my health.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:47 AM   #717  
fIREFLY

Penny even with eating healthy I still remain to not beable to get my chol. down under 223. Its in my family I guess as my skinny little sister has it too. So its not always what we eat or exercise. I also said no to adding any more meds. as then it only causes other problems. The Tricor is keeping my tri. glc. at a normal level before they were in the 400's not so good at all. So I guess we just keep trying our best to eat healthy and have better habits. By the way the knitting does help curb my evening snacks. I had an apple the last two evenings from my venture into the orchards last weekend. I loved it sliced up with peanut butter measured out of course. Last night I had it with caramel measured out 140 cals + apple cals. Still with in my range.
I haven't made my jam but will this weekend coming up. Lots of grapes. Wish I had your strawberry jam Marie. I didn't get any berries for that this year. I thought about doing freezer jam for the grapes? I may try one batch to see how it works out. I did have mom's applesauce with splenda and even the hubby couldn't tell the difference it was great. Judy we love yah anyway even if you don't make jam! Wish you were closer I would share with you anytime. Sounds like your trying really hard to move on the exercise. Congrats! I am going to take my sneakers today and walk after work if it doesn't rain. I have to get into a routine again. Penny I wish those blackberries were in my yard. I have some raspberries but not enough to do anything with I just eat them before the darn birds. The garage project is coming along just have to do the shingles and put the door on. Then I will ask my brother to ck it out for me before the final payment to the contractor.
Work was stressful after my intake yesterday but the positive thing is I didn't turn to food for comfort. I did have a couple of glasses of wine with my friend next door though. But that is suppose to be good for us in moderation. So far I didn't take on my new client. I am going to set up some resources for him and see how he follows up. If he truly wants the help and does what he needs to then in 3 months I will take him on. This is the first case I have ever had like this. But the demands and needs are so much different than anything I have ever dealt with. Its somewhat out of my field and more Mental Health issues. I just hope I can be of some help to him. He seems like a real nice kid just lots of need. Sometimes people just get dealt a bad hand in life. For some reason he ended up on my plate and I feel the need to assist as much as I can. Say some prayers I will need them this time around. I woke up at 4:30 thinking about how can I help him? So today I will start the process and it will hopefully make me more comfortable with the situation.
Have a great day! I will need that walk at the end of my day huh?
Old 10-06-2006, 07:21 AM   #718  
fIREFLY

Well good morning everyone. Thank God its friday what a week its been. My work week has been so busy this week. I am grateful for monday being a holiday. Today I am going to do some catch up stuff and an afternoon visit which will be difficult but I need more info. in order to serve this new case. Then the weekend starts and its a long one. I am going to start a little christmas shopping today. Buying pj's for the little guy and see what else I can get at a good price. I have been given an extra 30% off at Kolhs and thats on top of sale items so off I go. Sometimes its easier to buy than make. I am working on my sweater and the hubby really never had a homemade one so I will buy some black yarn and start his soon. If he doesn't wear it then there will be trouble since he keeps asking for one. He neve has been one to wear a sweater but after 33 years I guess he has a right to change. Hope your all going to have a nice weekend as well. The weather is to be beautiful here the girls and I are going to take a day trip casino, shop have breakfast maybe lunch. Just a fun day. Monday I will most likely do something with all the grandkids maybe they will build a scare crow for the yard, pumpkin picking and apple picking. I have been better with my cals. this week. Yesterday I ate a healthy breakfast, lunch was a bit higher than norm. as we had lunch out, but I adjusted my dinner cals and no snacks afterwards. I almost ate a late snack then thought why do I need that tonight? Went to bed. So better judgement calls this week. No scale today as I ate something salty and didn't want to mess up my train of thought on moving forward. Have a super day and a nice weekend if I don't touch base but I most likely will to try and stay on track. It helps for sure!
Old 10-06-2006, 02:21 PM   #719  

Penny, I'm sorry that you're disappointed with your test results. But all you can do is all you can do, if your genes are a factor in some of the numbers. The best you can do is make healthy choices and keep moving. You've done a great job of doing your part by keeping your weight down .

Marie, I tried Leslie Sansone many years ago. All video instructors are talkative, but she's a little too much for me, especially when you are listening to the same chatter over and over again . But her routines are good, and obviously she's wildly popular with lots of folks. I have a plenty of videos to choose from at home, plus my cable company offeres Exercise TV. I would like to find a small, inexpensive but sturdy cardio machine that I can crank away on while watching Jeopardy or something, but I'll figure out something.

Carol, I hope that you have a lovely long weekend, after so much stress this week.

I am doing okay today. I bought a salad for lunch, but I didn't try to resist the mini-loaf of cornbread, which was really yummy but not on my program! This weekend I will tackle switching over to my cool-weather clothes, and continue the search for shoes.

bye--judy
Old 10-07-2006, 06:49 AM   #720  
fIREFLY

Judy the stress has pretty much been lifted as my company has decided to not have me pick up this one. Only give some direction to ensure another company which better can handle his needs does so. Thank God for upper management. This time it made a big difference for the client and the worker. So today I am up early and dressed ready to play a bit. On sunday I will have my mom for dinner and also work around the house. I did a little christmas shopping last night and will do a little more today. I purchased my mom some new pjs and slippers. If she needs surgery I will give them to her early if not then for christmas. Great deals at Kolhs. I just love that store it could be dangerous if you know what I mean. A couple of girl friends came over last night lots of laughing good way to end the work week. I ordered lunch out yesterday chicken salad with ranch dressing I should of asked for low cal. Oh! At any rate a little bacon in there but not too bad in cals over all. I did make homemade pizza last night but overall my cals were within my limits. I still haven't done the scale I will on monday morning. Trying to becareful over the weekend. Work mornings are now hot oatmeal, few dried cherries, little br. sugar, cinn. and walnuts 1 T. So that is going well. Still need to hop on board with exercise routine better. Judy have fun sorting through you clothes. When I did that inventory was taken and a few new things in order to look good if you know what I mean. I did buy two new tops this week and some socks. Still need some new br. shoes and what ever else is a great buy. Have a great day grape jam day is also sunday maybe mom will help me?????
Everyone else hope you have a great day. Lets keep it moving. I want to lose 5lbs by thanksgiving thats a lot for me. Hopefully I can do it.
Closed Thread