Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 11:39 AM   #871  

S/C/G: 254/236.5/179

Height: 5'6

It's a beautiful, crisp, sunny day today! That almost makes up for the nippiness in the air. I tend to scurry from the nearest subway station to the office, which means I'm not getting my extra walking time in lately. I bought some hand warmers to put inside my gloves, which I must remember to try tomorrow. It's not so horribly cold, just right around freezing in the morning, but the Raynaud's syndrome leaves my hands in pain for an hour after the slightest chill, even if I'm indoors. But I'm doing well today, had a good cardio workout at home and am in good spirits--even though, like Marie, I'd rather not be working.

Carol, I'm sorry to hear why the party was cancelled. It seems especially hard for families when loved ones die during the holiday season. I've never had problems with flu shots after the first day. I meant to get one last month and hadn't gotten around to it, now I just might take my chances. You are doing a great job in handling the nibbling temptations. One of my coworkers brought in a huge tub of chocolates--including the types with liquor in them--which I love. I will just have to avoid the break room altogether for a few days, after I take a couple of candies, put them with my other snacks, and put it out of my mind. Thank God I'm not PMSing, it would be an ugly sight! Anyway, thanks for the image of you decorating the tree with the kids, that was very sweet.

Marie--you are kicking a-- with the workouts . Most gluten-free baked goods are made from flour made of soy, rice or other grains. It's fine for crunchy things, like Oriental crackers, but items that should be light and fluffy aren't the same. But I pop a frozen Van's waffle into the toaster, and it's close enough to the real (frozen) thing. Re protein shakes, I have gotten used to Arria brand vanilla w/o milk, just water and a shot of pure cranberry juice or a hint of vanilla or lemon extract. Sometimes at work I'll have the chocolate Kashi Go Lean shake (with water), which has twice the calories, about 200, but several grams of fiber. I have a little shaker bottle at work, just pop in the powder, water and ice and it's filling and vaguely chocolate-y. This is what I need to get past all that candy in the other room. For a treat sometimes I'll have an Arria shake for dessert with milk, ground flax seeds and fruit. But before I was going overboard with the dessert shakes, loading them up every evening as if I was at Baskin-Robbins . So now the default is the plain shake, so the dessrt chake is almost too rich. I find all the protein powders to be an aquired taste, but if you have it for a while, your tongue stops expecting ice cream or syrup and gets with the program.

Okay, meeting madness starts any minute now, gotta go.

judy
Old 12-06-2006, 10:17 PM   #872  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Carol - Your "Charlie Brown" tree sounds adorable! I'm sorry your Christmas party got canceled but it's good to hear your other client is happy in his new home. I hope your arm soon feels better after that flu shot. I once got a bad cold (or flu?) after a flu shot so I'm a bit wary of them now. I do get a pneumonia shot every 5 years as I was very prone to getting bronchitis and pneumonia and touch wood it has stopped me from getting that.

Marie - I hope your 'countdown to Christmas' goes quickly for you. It's hard to concentrate on work at this time of the year. You mentioned you have your bike near your Christmas tree. We have our treadmill in the living room near the tree, so maybe I'll be inspired to go on it so at least I'll get to look at the tree and the sparkly lights outside in our yard. I often have a protein/fiber shake for breakfast and it fills me up so I don't even think about food till lunch time.

Judy - Good idea to stay away from the break room. It's very hard to resist all the goodies at this time of the year. I just try to put as much space as possible between me and temptation! I'm really into having shakes too. I've tried all kinds but my favorite is Balance Shake mix (soy protein based) which I get from Trader Joes. I get the vanilla and mix it with various fruits. It's so rich and creamy. I also like Designer Whey which I also get at TJ's. It's not as rich as Balance Shake but I like to go 50/50 of each kind as I don't want too much soy protein in my diet. I also put psyllium husk powder in my shakes so that takes care of my fiber needs at the same time.

I've been busy baking for DH & DS and so far have only eaten two small cookies - quite a feat! I've also been making lots of soap as the soaps I had at the Curves bazaar sold out in the first two days. I'm happy to get the extra Christmas cash! I was so busy today I almost forgot to eat and I have about 150 calories left for the day so I think I'll have some oatmeal before bed.

Tomorrow I'm going out for lunch with some girlfriends to celebrate a birthday so I suggested we go to McCormick's (a fish restaurant) so I can have some nice grilled fish and veggies. I'll have to say 'just say no' to the bread basket (they have wonderful bread)!
Old 12-07-2006, 06:23 AM   #873  
fIREFLY

S/C/G: 179/172.5/165

Height: 5'7''

Judy I avoided the snacks did great with breakfast and lunch but dinner had a sub. Not so good and the scale showed it right away this morning. Most likely lunch meat being processed and the salt levels. I am guessing on all that no real facts looked up. Your shakes sound good. I need to try them out. I love the Kashi cereal and bars. Have just tried to eat better but last night working later and stopping to grab something at the pizza shop wasn't so good I guess. Having a piece of pizza might of been better in this case. The winds yesterday weren't friendly at all and froze me going in and out. My car has to go back to the fixit shop the engine light came on while I was driving to the land of nowhere yesterday. I called and they fit me in for 1 today before a meeting at 2:30. So I am heading to the office early to start my day at 7;30 and that way I won't lose any time add that with the hr. over yesterday. I am saving at least 3 days vac. for next yr. Can't wait to get 5 weeks vac. I have a yr. and a half to go. HURRAY!!!!!!!!!!! Penny another shake girl boy I have got to try this out. Your all maybe onto something here! Penny the lunchoen sounds like fun. Good for you staying away from the cookie jar. Remember the song who stole the cookie from the cookie jar. Don't mind me I used to work in a school for 10 years and have many fine memories of the little songs and kids. Some of the those kids are coming through the adult system now and I see them at programs. I loved working in a school just not enough hrs. and pay. Good memories and training. Still got to make my soaps. I am going to get out my stuff tonight. I have been assisting my oldest grandson with his homework the last 2 evenings. He is a smart kid but getting his thoughts onto paper isn't always so easy or easy to read. We worked on the computer to write his report. I should sleep like a bear but last night wiggle wiggle whats with that? Maybe I should try a sleepy tea before bed.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:27 AM   #874  
fIREFLY

Girls I am stopping today to get some protein shakes. I will try a couple of different ones for the times when I am rushed. I need to pick up some apples to eat on the way home as well so I am not so hungry before dinner.
Hang in there and have a great day. I hate that little white square but it has kept me knowing where I am at. I guess its a good thing but I have been checking everyday thats maybe not so good?
Old 12-07-2006, 04:34 PM   #875  

What a week! My brain hurt by the time I got home last night. Wish I didn't have to work this weekend, too, but that's how it goes. I can't wait 'til 12/20, and almost two weeks away from the office.

More on protein shakes: Whole Foods used to have its own soy-whey blend, but I can't find it anymore. Aria is made by the Designer Whey people (one of the oldest and best-known brands), it's supposed to be for women, so I guess it has more calcium, etc. I go to Trader Joe's all the time, so I'll check out Balance. I couldn't stand any of them at first, unless I mixed 'em with w/milk. Now I've adjusted, and I find them to be convenient and filling alternatives--especially if you have a bit of fruit around.

I have had a couple of chocolates, but today is easier than yesterday, and I should be able to avoid them totally in the morning before I leave town. I know that some folks can have one or two and stop, but it just leaves me wanting more carbs, and I struggle the rest of the day, especially this time of year, when it's colder and darker.

Okay, must get to work or I won't have time to go to Curves--judy
Old 12-07-2006, 05:27 PM   #876  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Hi all, thaks so much for the info on the shakes. I really looked at the Aria one yesterday at Amazon. I went to their website but it's a bad site. Basically I was trying to get whether they had just a whey one. Soy is in the same family as peanuts and I'm deathly allergic to peanuts and have ahd reactions from soy, so I can't go that direction. I'd love to get a tad more protein into my diet. The husk powder sounds good too fro more fiber.

I rode the exercycle for 10 miles this morning. I love being by the Christmas tree. so that's my exercise for December. Listening to an audiobook while enjoying the tree in the peaceful early am hours. I didn't dread it this morning so I think that will be a good break from walking. I'm going to have to do a couple miles jogging every other day or so to keep that stamina up. i'll mix the two together.

DS, DGS and I are going to our local Christmas Snowflake parade tonight. I imagine the baby will only want to be there for about 15-20 minutes, but it'll be cool. DS and I are taking him out to dinner to. We're going to Sizzlers since they make a good grilled chicken sandwich that's cheap too. good calories and good price - can't beat that.

Well, I'll chat with you later. BTW, work isn't nearly as bad today. Maybe because we're almost to weekend???
Marie
Old 12-07-2006, 07:24 PM   #877  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Carol - I hope that 'little white square' starts cooperating soon. Have fun with your soapmaking. I gave some to the birthday girl today and several of my other girlfriends want some too - so I'll have quite a little production going this weekend. I don't really have time, but it's nice to have the extra cash.

Judy - Let me know what you think of the Balance Shake mix. I've tried just about every shake mix on the market and it's by far the best tasting, in my opinion. As I mentioned, I mix it 50/50 with Designer Whey so I get both kinds of protein. I'm going to have one tonight for dinner with a ripe banana thrown in - yum!

Marie - I hope you have fun at the Christmas Snowflake Parade - we tend to do more of those types of things when we have little ones around. I bet you'll enjoy that chicken sandwich at Sizzlers afterwards. I've tried the Aria, but prefer they Designer Whey in the whey based shakes, but it's a matter of taste. What tastes good to one person may not be as tasty to someone else. It must be tough being allergic to soy as it's in so many foods these days - same thing with peanuts.

I did well at the birthday lunch today. As planned, I had fish (cod with green curry sauce mixed veggies and mango salsa). I ate about 1/2 cup of the rice it came with. I thought of you guys when the waitress brought a big loaf of warm bread and a slab of butter. I remembered I had told you I wasn't going to touch the bread and I didn't! I had two teaspoons of the birthday girl's dessert (the most humungeous and delicious berry cobbler I've ever seen) so I didn't go overboard. I still have 400 calories left for dinner - so that's pretty good.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:00 AM   #878  
fIREFLY

Judy I am going to stop at our local health food store and ck those shakes out. I am happy to say the scale has been nice today. I am now at my lowest in a couple of months. This is a good incentive for me before my party tonight to try and keep things under control. I am of course going to party but with my loss in mind. I was up on that scale and now I can see by monitoring my intakes better its made a difference. The girls at work complained about my tuna stinking up the kitchen yesterday. I put my salad together there. Well stink or not get used to it cause this girls going healthy! Last time it was broccoli stunk up the kitchen can't please them their just jealous I am eating healthy. Hah hah! Now if I could lose 2 more lbs. before Christmas that would be the cats meow! I am sure going to put the effort forward thanks for your support girls. Its not like I'v e lost a ton but to get back where I was at my MAUI trip is okay with me. More to work on before June wedding for my daughter. Then I can look seriously for a nice dress. Todays plans are eat a healthy breakfast and lunch then have a nice time at the party tonight celebrating Christmas among friends and coworkers. Its told we are getting two weeks pay as a bonus. Oh how nice that would be. I am not planning on it til I see it as you know how rumors fly around but we did get it last yr. And with my huge .45 raise mine will even be a bit higher this yr.
Marie I never knew about the connection between soy and nuts oh how dum I am. The aprade sounds like a nice treat and the Sizzlers as well. Have a good time.
Penny my daughter loves curry. What is green curry sauce? Sounds delightful. I'd like to ck it out if you don't have any recipe or idea I will ck the web. for a recipe. Always trying to find something special to make her. The little bride to be. Its getting closer than yah think we are starting to ck into flower shops oh so expensive even for something so simple. We will all have a super time at this wedding. Their such a cute couple and really have their heads together on life and long term planning. Lots of growth over the past 6 yrs. I can say in a very positive way. Girls lets keep this wt. coming off and a positive attitude over the holidays. If we can control ourselves before and after special gatherings we will be healthier and happier at the end of the holiday season. Richer in many ways other than the money in our wallets thats for sure. I'm going to make some soap this weekend and try to start my cookies so I can mail some off to the kids and freeze some. I will have to keep them out of sight afterwards to ensure I don't get into them. But I feel it will be okay and if I don't start nothing will get done. Have a super day everyone.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:20 AM   #879  
Lifelong Journey Member

Morning everyone!!! Oh how wonderful - it's FRIDAY!!!! I definitely am sick of work. One week from today will be quite the celebration. I'm looking forward to 2 weeks off. At least I'm at the time of year that I get to do fun projects instead of the irritating start of the school year stuff. Plus the new person (that replaced the bad hire evil witch) is doing great. Definitely a plus for my co-worker and me. We're able to do just our job.

The scale was the same again. I'd tried the weigh everyday routine (after what I read on MSNBC that it keeps better control of weight) and I'm stopping it. I'll go back to Tuesday and Friday weigh ins. It was getting depressing every morning. So now I've tried weighing everyday and not weighing at all. Both didn't work for me. Twice a week does. So my conclusion - nobody has a "cure-all" for what works. It's individual just like the person.

I jogged 3 miles and walked 2 miles this morning. I wanted to listen to the audiobook but I need to keep my stamina with the jogging so I skipped the exercycle. But tomorrow, I'm back at the Christmas tree and exercycle.

Almost D-I-L wants and ab lounger for Christmas so I'm going to get her that. Certainly I'll try it out too since it'll be in my living room. We're going to get it this weekend. She and I are going over the mountain for the final bout of Christmas shopping. Plus she wanted a decorated Costco cake for her birthday (on Sunday) so we'll pick it up. I ordered it last week.

The parade/dinner was fun. It was a good antedote to the irritations shared between myself and son on Wednesday night. We had a good time and laughed at the snow "flakey" floats. Small towns are so funny. And fun.

Penny, I'm starting to think you're going to have to make me some soap too. Have fun doing it. If you ever start just doing it for the money - quit. It's horrible when you lose your passion for your craft. That happened with me and stained glass. It became work, not pleasure. I still haven't recovered the love of doing it since I quit selling it a couple years ago.

Carol, good luck with the party and congrats on the evil white box moving in the right direction. You know, we're all doing fabulous so far this holiday season. Not gain and losing is so wonderful. We're just rockin'!

Judy, have a fabulous day!
Marie
Old 12-10-2006, 07:42 AM   #880  
fIREFLY

Hello everyone. Oh Christmas shopping will it ever end? I shopped yesterday all day long. Today I am baking cookies as they need to get in the mail. So my attempt to do as many or all as possible to get it done. I still need to make a gingerbread house and of course my soaps then I added in a couple of sewing jobs= cute littel stockings. I found some cool fabric yesterday and couldn't resist. I found antique hot rod car fabric with santa riding along and Hawaii looking scene I had to get it. I am making a stocking for the grown kids only one for them to share. I will pack it with little gifts, dip mixes, cocoa, candy and fun little treats. I need to ship their package ASAP. I still need to shop for them. I need to shop for them yet, gift certifcate in the end if I still have funds left for Pier 1. It will save me on the shipping. I already have some glass stuff to send. I'm almost thinking on saving it til they visit in June? My work Christmas party food wasn't so good so that worked out for me. At least I didn't over do it. I did have lunch at a buffet yesterday that now wasn't so smart. But I didn't go to crazy and shopped a lot so much more activity than sitting around thats for sure we are crazy shoppers from one place to the next sales yah know. When yah have a large family its called strech the dollar. I did get a nice bonus one weeks salary and the company is putting funds extra in our 401's. So not to shabby I say! At any rate Christmas isn't cheap and I am working hard on making ends met. The hubby and I don't go crazy on gifts for each other. Usually I buy what I want in moderation and time. So its okay with me. Its been fun buying for the kids. Got my mom's gift done and wrapped at 84 what do yah get? PJ'S and Slippers of course and a few little extras.
Girls I need to know do any of you have any ideas on a DVD or two that are good for dancing/exercise? Its on my daughters christmas list. She said rumba, salsa????????? I am a bit lost on this one and if yah have any info. it would be appreciated.I did look on ebay there was a few things. What is the walk dvd you girls use? And has anyone tried the exercise bands strech things? Oh please let me know Santas elf has to get a move on this one. Plan to eat healthy today. I am making a homemade pizza but I can control what the toppings are and a nice salad to follow.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:47 PM   #881  
Lifelong Journey Member

Carol, I have the crunch salsa DVD that is unopened. Why, because almost DIL had it in VHS. So if you want it cheap, it's yours. By the way, almost DIL said she liked it and I haven't tried her tape yet. I will, just haven't yet. Because she liked it, I'd recommend it. I also have a Dance Away the Calories or something like that and I hated it. And I'd bought Paula Abdul's dance DVD (unopened) since almost DIL had that one too but she said it was not great. But I could let you have both unopened ones for a very cheap price.

Sorry about the bad party. Good luck with the cookies and such. Will you take a picture of your gingerbread house and post it here? I know DH would like to make one. Maybe we should do that.

DS, almost DIL and I went to Medford (across the mountain) yesterday and we spent loads. Really - we bought 4 new car stereos with ipod adapters (one for my Durango, one for my car, one for almost DIL's Christmas present and DS bought one for his car). Other DS asked if we were trying to keep the car stereo industry afloat on our own. But they should be great. DH will install the one for my car today (I HOPE!!!!). We also finished Christmas shopping and returned loads of stuff.

Got to go. Talk more tomorrow!!!
Marie
Old 12-11-2006, 06:50 AM   #882  
fIREFLY

Marie yah got a sale there. You can send me a private message and we can exchange our addresses etc. not that we'd worry about our girls here but others having our info. Sounds great lets do it soon so I have them for Christmas. Hey this is great didn't think I'd shop right here. I purchased her a set of strech bands yesterday too. She isn't over weight needs to tighten up is all and wants to before her wedding.
I baked cookies yesterday a start to my list. I spoke with my son last night and he loved the snickerdoodles I sent last time. I may have to send those too. My kitchen looked like a bakery. I did manage to eat a few. But over all did okay I think. They are now wrapped and out of sight in the downstairs ref.
I will be starting my gingerbread house this week maybe Tues. tonight the GS has his first concert he plays the chello?on sp.? Oh well anyways so I got to get busy Tues. The girl friends and I get into doing these its a fun process this year we bought some wine to make it more interesting while we do it. Hah hah at least its red and suppose to be good for me in moderation. Other than my cookies and homemade pizza not a bad day. I did run to get the paper and buzzed in and out of the malls. Hope everyone one else is doing good. Marie I think I will also try to get her a rumba DVD. Got any laying around???????????? Funny never even thought someone here might have something I needed for Christmas. Hope to eat healthy and stay with in my cals today.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:55 AM   #883  

Hey, I'm back. I wanted to check in while I was away, but my brain just shut down whenever I had free time, all I could do was watch a little TV and collapse. But the meetings went well, the facility was good, and my new co-worker did a nice job on his first attempt to organize the meeting. I worked out in the exercise room, but I overate--big salads with lunch and dinner, but still big portions of meat or chicken (it was a buffet, with really good food) and even ice cream on Saturday .

Carol, congrats on continuing to lose . Check out the Collage Video site for videos. They have some instuctional dance ones, so your daughter won't be doing aerobic motions while she's rumba-ing! I have the Crunch salsa video. I like it, but the merengue is hard on my knees, so I just do it now and again.

Marie and Penny, hope you're both having a good Monday! You're doing so well, making good choices and being mindful of your calories.

Well, I took a tumble on the street yesterday, fell heavily on my hands and knees. I'm home today, nursing a swollen knee and a catch in my back. I think I'll be up and around by tomorrow. But I'll need to eat very lightly to make up for that chicken saltimbucca, etc., on the road, and not working out yesterday or today.

It's always something!

judy
Old 12-11-2006, 11:58 AM   #884  
Lifelong Journey Member

Judy, I'm so sorry about your fall. Exercise is dangerous (even if its just walking outside). My trips to the ER have been 2X from downhill skiing, 1X rollerblading and 1X biking. It's dangerous. I hope you feel better soon. BTW, it was almost DIL birthday yesterday and I was no angel - not bad, but I did have a little piece of cake. I like my light ice cream better so it won't be a temptation from this point on.

Carol, I will PM you as soon as I'm done here. I'm glad you can use them. I ordered them right before my trip and never got to returning them so this works out good. It's a good thing I wasn't helping you bake yesterday or I would have eaten your gifts. I was in a munchy mood and I'm hungry today.

I rode the exercycle 10 miles this am. I did the more resistance for several miles and worked up a little sweat. I brought an apple for mid morning snack. I think I'm going to have it soon.
Marie
Old 12-12-2006, 06:42 AM   #885  
fIREFLY

Judy it must of been tumble day! Glad you didn't get hurt any worse than you did. Hey thats not a good thing was it icy? I ran actually ran out to get the paper our driveway is quite long and on the way back thought oh that felt good so did it again.I did fine til I hit the steps a bit to fast dropped my Sunday paper all over the place and fell on my right knee and the palms of my hands. Ouch! It was a little sore to say the least but nothing too bad. Sounds like you got the worst of the fall on your knees. OUCH! Hope your feeling much better. Wierd we both took a tumble together and didn't even know it. Glad your back home again. Maybe some rest is whats in order for you today. Soak your feet do your nails relax a bit. Buffets aren't easy I know that was saturdays lunch out with the girls. Not too bad but not what I would consider healthy. I am trying to make up for it now. I have been baking more cookies. I did sample a little cut out last night no frosting. Thats later on tonight. I did start to put together my Gingerbread House. Oh how I hate doing them why do I put myself through it? I hate the part of gluing the sides, roof tog. with frosting. The decorating I like just want to skip this part. I need to ship out my box of goodies to the kids. I am doing the what ever you want to ship what actually fits in the box for 8.00. It doesn't matter how heavy it is goes by the box size and ships anywhere in the U.S.. So I am craming in lots of stuff needless to say.
Marie thanks for the DVD info. and I look forward to hearing from you. Yah could of had some cookies I bake enough to feed an army! I sealed them away but will have to get into some to send out the kids package. I am trying to figure out the best day to send. Send to early they get into it all ahead of time send to late it misses them, send to close to the weekend and then cookies sit around extra time oh no easy solution. I am making fudge later on thats a quicky. Then put it away out of sight. I want to pack some of that also for the kids. Can't have them home so I have to send a little home to them. I am making them a Christmas stocking out of old hot rod cars in a Hawaii print with Santa in some of the cars really cool fabric. I will fill it with some dip mixes and fun stuff cajun cashews etc.... Oh I really miss them at this time of year can yah tell???????????? Oh well gotta deal with it all. I went to a concert for the grandkids last night. It was really nice the school system does a great job with teaching these children music appreciation. Gotta go trying to be good in the food dept. did a little no no yesterday but all over cals weren't too bad. I got my new client and oh how different it is when your somebody out there in the big world doors open in different ways so quickly that part does make dealing with it easier. Its the rest that will be tough. Oh give me strength!
Closed Thread