Old 01-11-2006, 01:39 PM   #121  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Hi everyone, I'd like to join your thread if I may. Last summer I was on a 40 something thread that just dried up and went away. I know that we all share some common problems with weightloss at this age, so I definitely want to be here. I also post on 2 other threads.

A little about me, I'm 44 yo, married with two kids (20 and 19). 20 yo and his GF are having a baby in February so I will be putting Grandma in my list soon, and my 19 yo is going to basic training next week. It should be interesting. My DH and I have been together for 22 years. I work for a school district as the webmaster/database manager. It's a good job that allows me a lot of time off. I have a 200 day contract. I have 3 dogs and 2 of them are huskies (and Alaskan and a Siberian). I just love them to death. My hobbies include stained glass, knitting (machine), quilting, and drawing.

I've been overweight most of my life. Lost all the extra once in my life and let it come back (all but 25 pounds) over 15 years. Exercise isn't my favorite (what an understatement) and food is my great comforter.

Bette, I just had to tell you that you inspired me to buy WATP on Amazon just a couple minutes ago (with one day delivery). On the other threads I've read, WATP was mentioned but for some reason, your dedication to it inspried me. I've been bummed that I couldn't walk anymore since it's been so rainy in Oregon this winter (our dirt roads have started to wash away and there's nowhere to walk on them). So I ordered the DVD and tomorrow I'm going to start doing them. Thanks!

Foodwise, I'm not as dedicated as I need to be. I'm trying for portion control since I tend to not stick with eating lo-cal food substitutes. I like the real stuff, so now I'm trying to reduce the amount I eat. We'll see how it goes.

Well back to work. Talk to you all later.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 02:05 PM   #122  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

You are more than welcome Marie. It's great to have you here.

You come here and check in once in a while and we'll coach you past your food problem
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 02:17 PM   #123  

Marie's comment on aging reminded me of two conversations I've been in on just lately. I had a chat with a personal trainer the other day and last night at work, some of the girls got to talking. Here's a sort of synopsis .... or ... what I thought about it all.

There is a natural progression to aging. We become less active (we're not chasing small children), there is muscle wasting, loss of bone density, loss of strength, loss of skin elasticity ... and hormonal fluctuations that make all of those worse. And because of all of the above, our body needs less calories.

Theoretically then, can we not deter these changes by making a couple of lifestyle changes?

Increased activity seems to be a given.

And so does eating better and making sure we're taking calcium and vitamin D.

If weight lifting prevents muscle wastage and prevents bone loss then we can help ourselves there too.

And maybe, hopefully, better general health will help with skin issues and hormonal things.

Anyone have any other thoughts? For me the most frightening concept might be that if I intend to age healthfully ... it might take a bit of work.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:08 PM   #124  

lol yea it will take work I think Susan!!! as I too work in health care I see it often - i work as continuing care assistant in an old folks home.
Well very short today,we left for the city a 9 am and got home at 7. whew tired. did well but not great. went to gyn and said all is fine and go back to reg. activities. did give me two more weeks off work so that is good.
then groceries, running around, checking in on parents. so now been on here on other site listing stuff. anyway gotta get upstairs and have a cup of tea and relax. I can have a bath tonight!! LOL after 6 wks of showers, lol dh says and I can have something else!!! lol I was teasing and said no dr said that wasnt till valentines day, dh laughed said knew I should have went in with you. haha.
have a great night ladies and hope to get here in the am.
onwward and downward!!! cya

Cindy
fit4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 08:14 PM   #125  

MMarie, I hope you like them, I have the WATP Express with the stretchie band, and I like them alot. I'ts impossible to walk outside in the winter here (Iowa) I guess I could, but I really can't take the cold anymore.
Anyway today I was feeling really lazy and tired, just didn't want to get out of bed, but made myself get up and did the 1 mile WATP. I still don't feel like doing anything, but I'm glad I did it.
Bette k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 09:06 PM   #126  
kjkas10

Hi All

I was reading that there is about 3500 to 3800 calories in a pound. Something to ponder. If a slice of bread has 80 calories, if that 1 slice of bread was eliminated from your diet for a year you could loose 7 to 8 pounds over the course of the year. I know, who cares. I just found that interesting

As for looking younger, I know for myself gravity has not been nice to me. Things are no longer perky. My girlfreind thinks we should have been sleeping standing on our heads then gravity wouldnt have been so unkind.

Have a good evening and remember tomorrow is always a do over.
KJKAS10
kjkas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 08:40 AM   #127  

kjkas10 ... I've read a whole list of things like that ... I think it was in Readers Digest one time. The impact of the little things like one less slice of bread, one less tsp of sugar in your coffee ... It was neat to know.

BetteK ... I'm just like that most days. I don't want to exercise but once I do, I feel so much better. It was worth the trouble to start.

Cindy ... there's nothing like looking after a few little old ladies who have horribly crooked shoulders to make you want to go home and do some weightlifting!

Marie ... those WATP programmes seem to be very popular and are working very well for folks. I think they are a great choice.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:11 PM   #128  
Lifelong Journey Member

Morning everyone, thanks for the warm welcome. KJKAS10, I love the idea that we should have been sleeping standing on our heads. I wonder how much that would have helped.

Bette, I saw that Amazon shipped my DVDs so I should get them sometime today. I'm looking forward to them. I rode my exercycle last night and that was a step in the right direction. Good for you doing the 1 mile. I exercise when I get home from work. I can not get myself out of bed in the morning for work, more or less exercise.

Cindy, sounds like you had a busy day. I bet you fell into bed exhausted.

Susan, I definitely agree with the theory of aging healthy. This past 6 months, I realized that I will never be slender and svelte. I'm past that since I've been overweight most of my life. I also realized that dieting didn't work - I always regain it. So I decided to not diet, just eat when I was hungry and try not to overeat by eating smaller amounts. And to exercise. I decided to exercise regularly since it helps with depression and I'm bipolar. I went off my meds last August and am trying non-drug methods of dealing wtih bipolar. Exercise is one of them. So I'm exercising and eating better. Neither are at the point I want but I keep trying. What I'm not doing is setting weightloss goals that I can achieve but will lose. It was definitely an interesting realization and decision to give up the goal of being thin. Healthy is my goal now.

Well, I better get back to work. Talk with you all later.
Marie
Old 01-12-2006, 03:05 PM   #129  

Tsk, tsk, tsk Marie! What do you mean, you'll never be slender and svelte? Check out posts by Ilene, Meg and Mel! Never underestimate yourself my friend!
Old 01-12-2006, 05:38 PM   #130  
Lifelong Journey Member

Susan, I just have way too much excess skin to be svelte and slender. I definitely don't plan on staying fat, I'm just accepting nature and the damage I've done over the years in regards to the amount of skin. Thankfully clothes hide a lot.

BTW, I got my WATP DVD and I watched it (can't exercise at work...) and it looks good. I look forward to doing it tonight.
Marie
Old 01-12-2006, 06:04 PM   #131  

again Hi all in the evening. Boydont seem to have time for this dial up biz. lol
Did good today, only got 1.5 walk in . ( cos I can just walk the square or add the 2 side roads so did the square and sides once) ate well and am pleased. now tomorrow busy day as going to the city and taking my mother shoppiing.eeek hope she behaves find as she gets older she gets more pi$$ed off and louder lol
well best go want to have a bit of time with dh. cya later
Glad you are all doing well!! keep it up and try our best.
fit4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 08:35 PM   #132  

Back at 2 miles on the WATP today . It helps me feel better to know I can do it. I think the weather is going to change, I started having some pain in my wrist and can't figure out why, so it's probibly old age and the weather.
DS is sick with strep throat, I just hope nobody else gets it. He cam home from working on a school project last night really tired and feeling sick, went to the dr today and yep it's strep. He felt bad when a classmate called and told him that the other people who he worked on the project with blamed him for it being short and not done real well because he was so tired. I think they had plenty of time to work on it, but only wanted to get together and do it the night before it was due. He tried to get together several times before that but no body else wanted to. He felt bad about being blamed for it.
Bette k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 08:31 AM   #133  

Good morning everyone! What's everybody up to today?
I have a feeling our extraordinarily mild weather is not going to last much longer, so I think I'd better go for a walk outside today.

Marie? and KJKAS10
I still want to you go read threads by Meg and Mel, they often talk about excess skin too. But you are right about the clothing. It can hide all our ... um ... secrets.

BetteK? Kids can be nasty, yes? Teachers can see through most of the group project cwap. Most often I found that my kids were accurately marked according to the effort they put in.

Cindy? I just spend a waaaay too much time here on dial up too. Do you have your hand weights or knitting or something with you? Sometimes if it's really slow, I go make my bed or empty trash cans ....
Old 01-13-2006, 11:36 AM   #134  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi everyone. Happy Friday!!! It is my favorite day of the week. I just love it. So I'm happy - even though I'm at work and DH hast he day off. I usually get jealous and bummed. But today is Friday and there just can't be anything wrong with today. Also it's the 13th, so it's really special

I got my WATP DVDs yesterday and did the 1 mile walk. I really liked it and the time flew by. I used 1 pound cans for the weights but decided to buy 1 pound weights today before going home. Easier to hold. I think I will try the 2 mile walk tonight since the 1 mile seemed a little short. But I still liked it and liked that I now had a video with a short workout for time crunch times. It might be a while before I do the 3 mile walk, but who knows???

I'm going to look into buying high top walking shoes today. I have really narrow heels and I always wear dress boots but my tennis shoes are regular tops. I think I'd get better support with high tops. So I'm going shopping today.

Dial up - I live in the middle of no where and had to buy (satellite) DirecWay for halfway decent interneting at home. It's still pretty slow, but it is better than dial up. Pretty spendy though. At some point Qwest is supposed to instal DSL - I'm looking forward to that.

Well, back to work. Talk with you later. Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!
Marie
Old 01-13-2006, 10:33 PM   #135  

Hey Girls,
Sounds like lots of walking going on. I just did the one mile WATP. Only my 2nd time. I really like it. I'll have to get me some more later on. I have the one & two mile express using the stretchey bands. Those that are doing the WATP could you tell me which ones you like and recommend.
Everybody have a great weekend and keep up the good work.
Later,
Rivergal60 is offline   Reply With Quote