INGREDIENTS:
1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin puree
3/4 cup apple juice
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 cups Splenda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
Combine pumpkin, apple juice, spices, and sugar in a large saucepan; stir well. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes or until thickened. Stir frequently.
Spoon hot pumpkin mixture into hot jars, filling to within 1/4 inch from top. Remove air bubbles; wipe jar rims. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands.
Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

WELL GIRLS FORGET THAT IF U ARE ON SOUTH BEACH CUZ PUMPKIN IS ON THE HIGH GYLCEMIC INDEX, WOULD MAKE NICE CHRISTMAS GIFTS THO..

Glycemic Index: 75
Glycemic Index Rating: High

Last edited by curlylocks; 10-19-2005 at 04:25 PM.
curlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 04:24 PM   #1728  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Lisa...very cute picture in your avatar!!! And as for the soup? I make it ALL the time, no seriously....almost every week!!! I buy a frozen veggie that has aspargus, zucchini, carrots, mushrooms.....I LOVE IT!!! I make another one that is just chicken broth and cooked carrots, puree in a blender, then add a touch of ginger. YUM YUM....so thick and hearty!! Those soups with a 1 pt ww bagel.....can't ask for anything better.

Whats for dinner tonight? We're eating on the run, as religious ed. classes are tonight at our church and the boys are dashing right off the school bus. But I'm going to have some vegetable eggrolls. Only 2 pts each. Lisa, have you had these yet? they are by Kahiki and are in the frozen food isle. They even come with a sweet n sour sauce packet. Gotta try them!!
angel-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 04:26 PM   #1729  
soon to be goddess

Hey Curly...we seem to be posting at the same time!! My only pumpkin recipie that I have is for chocolate pumpkin muffins. Take a choc. cake recipie and add a can of pumpkin. Think thats it...and bake. Just to be sure I'll go hunt down the recipie, just in case. They are 2 pts each I think. I'll have to make these soon as its the season and its been awhile.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:38 PM   #1730  
~Insane Java Turtle~

Red face It's me at work

I have a funny to share. I was telling Deerod that I was so happy that we had two of our stragglers back in the herd and then realized that "herd" was quite possibly a poor choice of words and changed it to flock. Since we're chicks-n-all. Sometimes I amuse only myself with my warped and twisted sense of humor.

I brought my walking stick to work with me today and it's gotten me a lot of looks from sympathetic or possibly disgusted on lookers. "Oh if she'd just lose weight, I bet that leg would heal. " (they're probably thinking) Well, bite me folks! I'm working on it. But eating a whole stack of popcorn cakes is probably not the best choice for a first step. Of course, I told myself I didn't want to take Tylenol on an empty stomach. That doesn't give a reason to eat ALL of them. Do we have a rolling eyes smilie? Yep, guess so.

I didn't bring any water with me today, but I at least planned my food out (with the exception of eating ALL the popcorn cakes I brought) and I've got my new "Exercise Balls for Dummies" book to lay out a ball/weight-strength training set for myself to work around my knee problem. One step at a time, baby steps.

How is everyone doing? I'll probably check in again later this evening. I've got some threads and posts and WW recipes to cruise through. Lisa WY, I tried that WW soup once, by the letter and didn't like it, but found after I doctored it up, it was better. Maybe I should try again that could have been a long time ago. I forget. But it's worth another try. I do love soup. (Just not TURTLE soup! )
Hotcupojava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 08:53 PM   #1731  
Staying in 1derland!

S/C/G: 288/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"

Default turtle turtle turtle.....

Turtle am i gonna have to come up there? Girl u weigh 230 and some change NOT 450!.. thats a lil heavy but its not enormus.. geez i myself think i look quite sexy at 240.. lol

Hey guys have u read the "biggest loser thread" Jillian the trainer from the show is actually posting in a thread there.. answering questions about her new book! cool huh?

P.S. doesn anyone ever use the chat feature? Oh and i had to go buy a top to wear for an interview cuz none of my clothes (nice ones) fit! lol

Last edited by curlylocks; 10-19-2005 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:40 PM   #1732  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Wow, what a busy day on this thread. Good to see our lost flock members finding their way home.

L2L-I'm like Lisa and more of a butt kicker than a hand holder. Have you considered Overeaters Anonymous? It's free, and the price doesn't get better than that. The best plan for any one person is the one you can stick to FOR LIFE. You need to get out of the dieting mindset and remember that you will be eating differently forever so take some time and decide on a plan you can think you can do FOREVER. I would also venture a guess that your real problem is with refined sugar and not all food. I doubt you are bingeing on broccoli. You may want to page back and read some of my diatribes on refined sugar.

Curly-pumpkin may have a high GI but it is not all that high in carbs so I can have it. How about that? However, you lost me with the apple juice in those recipes. I made a pumpkin custard/pudding recipe over the weekend that is awesome.

Lisa-I made that soup several times when I was on WW. Like Turtle, I had to doctor it up. It was too bland. I don't know if you have that WW cookbook or not but there is a spanish pepper soup in there that I really liked and made it several times. I think it was quite low in points.

Went to power yoga tonight but I think I have tendonitis in my foot.

I'm really challenged with ticker making. It took me about 10 tries to make the one I currently have so I'm concerned I wouldn't be able to make a new one.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 10:00 PM   #1733  
Staying in 1derland!

now custard sounds really good!!!!

ouch hope your foot is soon feeling better! i am fightin my heel spur again... its fine as long as i keep going! ( and just when they upped our insurance deductible to 800$)
Old 10-19-2005, 11:18 PM   #1734  

Petra: I add a can of tomatos juice and all to my WW magic soup..plus I used fresh thyme and something else I can't remember right now. THere is one posted on the website and one in our 1st week book..I sort of added them together to make it.I used broccali, califlower, tomatoes, celery, cabage, shredded carrots, green beans and a can of tomato sauce(I didn't have any paste) I also added some other spices. LOL FIgured they were free. LOL I liked it..I had it for lunch all week...very filling and ZERO points. LOL

I have some fresh pumpkin.. ANyone know what to do with it? Dh wants pumpkin soup?????????????? I think I might just throw some stuff in it and try to make it. I bought some squash soup..Campbells makes it..it is good but I couldn't figure out what else was in it..it was a sweet soup. I also love the tomato basil soup too. Oh Peta that is what I used fresh in my garden soup..was basil. LOL

Turtle: You only weigh a few pounds more than some of us.. I feel sexy.. I feel good...even with my gain.. I am actually smaller. On a WW board that I am on..one of the posts in the "men's" section but mostly women posted... umm...do you have more drive. LOL.. Umm..most answered YES!! They found it easier..men said they found it easier if both of them were on WW. Try the soup..it is good.

Curly: I watch teh biggest loser. Just started this season. I downloaded both the diets from Bob and Jillian and the exercise..OMG!! His is only about 800-1100 calories and hers I think is a no carb type diet but around 1400 calories a day. The exercise..is about 3-4 hours a day.. THey actually think you can do that???? I did follow some of Bob's advice today on the treadmill. I am doing the walk/jog thing. I even put it to 9mph..LMAO..I thought I would die..but he says to do that for as long as you can. LOL MY long was 30 seconds. LOL I am wondering if I can puree my pumpkin?? Why not. LOL I love splenda.. Have you bought the brown sugar kind?

Angel: Before when I was on WW..I was doing the WW the fast food diet. LOL I never cooked. MY ex hubby would of never eaten the soup so I never made it. Actually how I ever lost 65lbs on WW before..with only fruit and very little veggies. My ex was one of those people we all hate that can eat anything and no gain..he never ate a veggie in his life. But I do get the last laugh because last time I seen him. (he was a 27/32 when we met.. yes waist was 27 and the heaviest he ever was a 30 waist.. now I think he is a 34. LOL) I shouldn't laugh..but I can because he is an EX. LOL

Zoey: I wasn't saying that friends don't help any but it does need to come within first..but real friends will give you a kick in the pants.

Ok..now that I am done with my trip down memory lane..I will have nightmares if I don't think of something besides my ex husband. LOL

Lisa
Wyoming
Lisa_WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 11:27 PM   #1735  
Linux Lady

Yeah, Lisa_WY, I understood that. Friends can give the best pants kicks because they are given with love!

zoey
~zoey~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 07:39 AM   #1736  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Lisa- I have several pumpkin recipes because it is considered a low carb fruit. Lots of fiber too, and beta carotene so it is really good for you. If I have time tonight I'll look them up for you.

I'm wearing my sneakers to work today. I hope I don't get any grief about it but my foot hurts.

BTW, I like turtle soup! LMAO! It's quite popular in new orleans.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 09:00 AM   #1737  

S/C/G: 264/190/150

Height: 5'8"

Hey Gals,
super busy board, I love it! To anyone trying to make pumpkin soup or squash soup, I make some and its so good, what I do is sautee some onions and garlic, then pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil. Then add to that the pumkin in cubes and let it simmer for a while, until the pumpkin is tender and falling apart. At this point, you can either blend it in a blender or while a hand blender, or just mash it with a potato masher. Some times I put curry in it if I want it spicey, or sometimes, sweet kinds of spices like pumkin pie stuff if I want it more sweet. It becomes very creamy and thick and oh so easy.
I think we all benefit from the kicks in the butt once in a while. It seems like its almost a dialy roller coaster ride for me. One day I'm like yeah I can do this, the next, I'm sad and bloated and like oh I should give up. But i'm not, and we're not!
I'm down for the turkey take off challenge but its very soon, and I lose so slowly that I'm not going to guess to much will come off but its a good motivator.
Yeah, I'm so happy to see so many people back and all the others full of steam!
Jennie
jennie934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 12:21 PM   #1738  
Staying in 1derland!

i tell ya the challenges really do help .. cuz i was thinking here i was see sawing but .. looking at my spooktacular ticker.. i have lost 11 lbs since we started.. so i am making progress.. no where near what i had stated as my goal but .. i'll take it .. lol
Old 10-20-2005, 01:19 PM   #1739  
Linux Lady

Good afternoon ladies!

My real name is Margo and I think that maybe by the time I get to goal, I will be saggy maggie or maybe baggy maggie! Sixty-eight year old bods don't tighten up very well. People don't call me maggie but they do call me meg.

I should probably join the TG challenge because we are going to our daughter's for TG. This is the daughter who is a great cook and who looks a bit like Mrs. Santa Claus.

I hope that you are all doing well and OP.

zoey
~zoey~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 03:17 PM   #1740  
soon to be goddess

Hey everyone!! How we all doing today? Just got back from grocery shopping and taking ds to the dr. again. She still doesn't like the wheezing in his lungs, so we are to continue using the nebulizer treatments and next week when PE starts up again; I need to drop off an inhaler before he goes to class. Holy cow!! He has never been like this before,...never even had bronchitis before.

Lisa....I was thinking about you and the ww's soup. Just made some, yum yum!! I was all out of bagels, so I had some crackers and cream cheese with it. I was thinking about the little blip of a gain I had, and I wonder if I wasn't eating enough. Gotta keep an eye on that. Question for you Lisa....??? Where were you able to download the stats/diet on The biggest Loser? I'd be interested to read up on that. There's another thread here I've been reading on it, and just like curly said....Jillian Michaels has been posting on it.

I went to class this morning, the iso-ball. Gosh, thats a killer!! Yesterday I thought I would start using the weight machines.....oi oi oi....am I feeling it today or what!! I ache just about everywhere, very tender to touch. No pain no gain though, or so the saying goes. I'm sure it'll subside by the time I do it again.

Curly......Good job girlfriend!!! 11 lbs is awesome!!

Zoey.....I know the feeling!! Sometimes at 44 I feel the same way!! Things just seem to go downhill at 40 for me...let alone 68!!!

Jennie......I 'm still up and down motivation wise. I just try not to slip up too much during a day and hope for the best some times!! Slow and steady!!

Petra.....Hope your foot feels better soon. Nothing worse than standing on your feet all day and having intense pain.