Old 04-01-2005, 07:36 PM   #31  

I will be going to London, Paris and Rome! I have never been to Europe and it worked out that a girlfriend knew of a tour, so we grabbed it! Going in June....so I have time to work on my knee and get it back in shape....actually now that I think of fit....I hired a trainer for 10 sessions and she had me doing squats a lot.....that may have done it! I remeber telling her it hurt my knees....hmmmm......well like I said...I think a few days off to heal it up and I will try the glucosamine and see what happens....
Lilybutt
lilybutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 08:38 PM   #32  
Staying in 1derland!

S/C/G: 288/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"

ok lets all copy off Cristi and have a mini goal of 10 pounds by may 9th??? hehehe!

curlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 09:06 PM   #33  
No Excuses~Better Choices

S/C/G: 14st 6lb/13st 12lb/10st 5lb

Height: 5'2"

Hi Everyone!

Can I join in too?? I'm 42, married with two kids aged 16yrs and almost 13yrs. I'm from the UK but have been living in Hong Kong for nearly 4 years due to hubby's job. Have been overweight for a number of years, but as I'm getting older it really is having an effect on my life ... feel old, fat and frumpy, always got aches and pains etc. My friends who are all around the same age are slim and active and look years younger than I do. I don't want to look and feel this way anymore.

Over the past few years I seem to have been constantly starting new diets ... losing a few pounds then gaining them back again .... never being able to stick with it for more than a few weeks at a time. I definitely seems much harder the older I get. I realise that it's time to start a new lifestyle before it's too late ... healthy eating and exercise. My husband is very fit and active, he does a lot of walking, taking part in charity walks etc. I'd love to be able to share this with him but I'm so totally unfit that it's not been possible. He's very encouraging and I have started to do more walking but I can't pretend it's easy.

I'm up for any challenge ... I've got skinny friends visiting from the UK this summer who I haven't see for some time and I don't want to look like this when they arrive!!!

Nichola
Fat in Hong Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 10:16 PM   #34  

Love seeing the 40's club here.

I am 47, married with one daughter, 6 going on 26, and work full time. I have recently restarted Nutrisystem to jumpstart myself. My minigoal is 170 by June 1st. NS really helps with my hectic work schedule and portion control. I just eat out of the box.

My exercise goal is to get to the gym 4 out of 7 days in a week, since I go when they open at 5:30 am, I am not yet making the habit.

CURLYLOCKS - Love the husband part and staying home.

I hope we become a sticky.

It is way harder to take weight off in my 40's, married and a mom. The last time I had to do this, I lost 2 pounds a week and kept it off because I was only answering to myself. I was at the gym for 60 minutes 6 mornings a week, and socialized at the gym on Friday evenings. Now, I am picking someone up, making a meal, or folding laundry, love it all, but it does take a toll on my self control.

LYNN - Hi love the Hawaii ticker, very cute.

I know what my problem is, too much food, that is why the portion control is so important for me.

RIGHTWAY - Are you doing Body For Life as well as the Eating For Life? I like the workouts in BFL, they make a lot of sense.

LILYBUTT - You are right about the knees, I find that the squats if not perfectly done, can cause lots of problems. I even had problems when I was a buff 126, ended up traveling with a knee brace so I wouldn't miss any fun.

10 pounds by May would be my mini goal, I need to get there to be on my way to my own goal on June 1st.
Sugar Cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 10:20 PM   #35  
Staying in 1derland!

we sure would love to have u join us!!!! they say there is strength in numbers!!! we can boost each other up!!!

mini goal >>>

Old 04-01-2005, 10:29 PM   #36  
Staying in 1derland!

lol i'm eating outta the box also but its the "healthy choice box"

i have cereal with fruit for breakfast, soup or salad for lunch, and healthy choice or lean cusine for dinner, with a side salad or xtra veggie.. then fruit or single serving jello or fat free pudding as a snack some place in the day...

i need that portion control too! and there is nothing else in my house!! friends at work gave me easter candies and and i promptly dumped them back into their community candy bowl !!

making myself eat breakfast and lunch has been the hardest part of then entire journey so far.. But i find that i am not picking and hunting in the evenings now!
Old 04-01-2005, 10:55 PM   #37  

Hi,
I've been visiting this site for over a yr. I've been up and down 10lbs over and over during that time.
I'm 45, with 3 sons, 27,23 & 22. All still living home Happily married almost 28yrs. As far as menipause or perimeni, not really. Just started showing some signs but the doc said that it's probably from my diabetes. I still get it every 28 to 40 days. up until about 8 mos ago I used to get it every 28 to 30 days. No hot flashes either. My problem is the weight is keeping my blood sugars up. I've been really down in the dumps. Diet wasn't helping. The loss was too slow and no change and I've also been going to the gym 4-5 days a wk. I work full time and I'm up early with a new puppy.

Curlylocks, I'm sure you know how that is. We are up at 5:45 and walk for 30 minutes. After work I go to the gym for at least 30 minutes of cardio.

Lillybutt, I hired a trainer for 5 sessions. I thought he was going to kill me. Young guy that just didn't get it. Those squats...aaahhh! couldn't move for 2 days.

Anyway, they keep changing my meds to no avail and I'm so depressed that for the last week I've been blowing the eating big time. I really need to get it together. My mom died at 49 from complications of diabetes and heart disease. My youngest son is getting married in July of 2006, and I want to be alive, healthy AND LOOK DAMN GOOD IN MY GOWN!!!!

So, I am here to try and get myself motivated again. I love the fact that we are all in the same age group.

And to all of you that have lost soooo much in the past. How? I've been carrying this weight around for yrs and the most I ever lost was 33 lbs. I can't imagine what a significant amount of weight loss must feel like but I'd love to find out.

I'm in!

Nice to meet you all.

Last edited by DonnaD; 04-01-2005 at 10:58 PM.
DonnaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 08:41 AM   #38  
Staying in 1derland!

Default hi Donna

After a ton of lab tests the dr told me that some marker in my blood says that my blood sugar is normal BUT that it shows my body is working too hard to keep it normal and making too much insulin ( he says becuz of my weight) and the dr put me on Metformin 500 mg 2 times a day..

I guess when u are overweight your body has to work harder to control your blood sugar levels... and thats where u get those sugar and carb cravings from!!
the metformin really gets them under control becuz it helps your body regulate your blood sugar..

I would never have known i had a problem becuz visits to my regular dr always showed normal blood sugar levels.. and even when i tested with a meter myself they were normal it was only with more detailed testing that i found out that i was having a problem with the way my body was getting my sugar levels down to normal...

so this is something all you ladies may want to ask your drs about.. or ask your family dr to refer you to an endocrinologist...

Last edited by curlylocks; 04-02-2005 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:50 AM   #39  
Staying in 1derland!

P.S. How did i get 40 so fast? lmao
Old 04-02-2005, 08:55 AM   #40  

Hi can I join too?
I'm Lisa, 41 yrs old, widowed mom to 3 kids, 13, 11 and 9 (boy, boy, girl) 2 dogs, a rabbit, a hamster and a fish named Bob. I teach pre-kindergarten and Stress is my middle name!! I started South Beaching it 4 weeks ago and so far so good.
I live in MA where it is raining buckets today.
Lisa
LisaBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 09:06 AM   #41  
Staying in 1derland!

Default Hi lisa

Im actually Lisa also! lol a fish named Bob! its trying to rain here also! I had big plans for playin in the yard... now im tryin to type with a tabby on my keyboard and a german spitz trying to knck the cat off the keyboard... when he isnt attempting to knock over my bottle of water! ... Great to have u join in with us!!!!!
Old 04-02-2005, 11:34 AM   #42  

Hi Curlylocks,I am glad they were able to pick up on the elevated blood sugars before they became a real problem. I'm sure as you lose, (which you will ) the need for the metformin will deminish. I'm on the max dose if 1000mg 2x a day and they just increased my altose to 45 mg and it's still not working. So it's really important to lose the weight. But the altose increased hunger and causes weight gain

I've starting to think drastic thoughts, like medifast or some diet program.

Any thoughts anyone?

Nichola, I've never traveled much. How exciting it must be. it's hard when skinny friends visit in the summer...shorts Walking is a great way to start an exercise program. You'll be suprised at how fast you'll build up to more miles. It's so great you DH is supportive. Mine isn't unsupportive, but doesn't get involved.

Sugarcube, I would love to get to the gym in the mornings. I've been going after I get home from work and walk and feed the dog. It's been getting harder and harder. I'm a morning person. I'm trying to make the switch but with the pup it's hard. I guess I could get to the gym around 6, leave by 6:45 and that would give me and hour and 15minutes to shower and feed and walk the dog. It would be a struggle but then when I get home after work I could take him for his long walk that he normally gets in the morning. I feel guilty either way. I'm sure it's a challenge with a 6 yr old and I keep going on about a puppy. (the kids grow up and I obsess on a puppy )
Anyway, maybe we can do a check in to see if we've gone to the gym each morning. I would like to do 4-5 x wk. Let me know what you think..

Lilly, as I said to Nichola, I don't travel much..but that sounds soooo exciting.

Queenofdenial, Love that name. If you lost over 320 lbs before, you must have such willpower and I'm sure you'll do it again. I've never been very successful. I tried so many plans: SBD, SB, WW, LAWL and yrs ago:Nutrisystem, Medifast, JennyCraig...if I had kept all the $ I spent, I could buy a new body

I'm sorry I went on for so long ladies.
Hi Cristi, Lynn and Squishy.
Hope I didn't miss anyone.

Well, we are supposed to get a months worth of rain in the next 24 hrs. So it looks to be an inside weekend.

I hope everyone has a great weekend no matter what the weather.
DonnaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 12:32 PM   #43  

Quote:
Queenofdenial, Love that name. If you lost over 320 lbs before, you must have such willpower and I'm sure you'll do it again.
Gosh, I am so sorry.. that should have read I WEIGHED over 320.. I didn't lose that much. I actually lost somewhere around 140-150 lbs..

But yes, I agree if I did it once I can do it again. I'm all over the mini goal of 10 lbs by May 9th!!
Queenofdenial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 12:37 PM   #44  

What kind of exercise do you all do? I try to treadmill during the week. I used to treadmill every day 4-6 miles but then my knees buckled up on me and that is sort of when my weight gain began to come back slowly at first.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:38 PM   #45  

Just want to add - it's really hard to follow everyone's posts with so many going on in one thread.. I'm sorry if I dont' get to everyone's thoughts or respond. Hopefully they will see us blabbering on and give us our own forum.. woohoo!