Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 08:59 AM   #31  

Hello ladies.

Welcome newinspiration! It's always good to have someone new to the group. You seem to have a lot in common with a few of us. Let me introduce myself. I'm a 27 year old mother of two and wife of one. My son is 3 and my daughter is 5. I've been married for almost 7 years. I'm a nursing student. I live in Wichita, Kansas. I started here around the end or October or first part of November last year. I am weighing in right now at about 193. I had gotten down into the 180's before school started in January and then I kind of dropped off radar. I was so stressed all the time and I'm a stress eater. I'm also a sad eater, a happy eater, a scared eater and an angry eater. hmmmmmm.... My goal weight is about 145. I can do it. Again, Welcome to our thread!

Well, ladies, I know I'm about to start my period. I'm having cravings and I'm breaking out. Also, Monday I didn't workout because it was a holiday and the gym was closed. Yesterday I didn't workout because my daughter is sick and I can't take her to the gym sick. I could've gone in the evening when hubby is home, but I didn't because I ate really bad yesterday and felt like crap. Today my daughter is still sick and I will be working out later when hubby gets home. It's not even an option, I HAVE To get some exercise.

Well, It's almost 8am hear. I got up to assess my daughters sickness. I have had a horrible night sleep with hubby snoring, pig whining, and kids getting up at all hours of the night to get a drink or something. I could hear their little footsteps all night. So, I'm going back to sleep!

Have a great day everyone!
WHERE'S LADY RIDER??? CJUNK???? TAIWAN?????
Lisa
Old 05-28-2003, 09:34 AM   #32  
I will make it!

Angry Good Morning Ladies

Well last night I went off to play badminton for a good hour...what a great workout! So this morning I am a little stiff but managing quite nicely.

My food intake was good ...and so were my fat grams although I was so hungry all afternoon until I scoffed down a ton of sushi..ok 14 pieces...boy was that ever good...yum yum

Well today I plan on cycling and doing my ball exercises...I love that ball...totally rocks.

Well as usual I am at work...so talk to you later

Lisa...hang in there...those cravings could do you in ....so stay focused and stay on top of things.

LadyRider, Taiwan, Cjunk, Determined Annie...come back soon...we miss you.

Cyan
Old 05-28-2003, 06:10 PM   #33  

Hi ladies,

Miki, I got the First magazine with the carb in the morning, protein in the evening diet...do you want to try it with me for a week or two to see if it works? Anyone who would like to join us ...just pick up a copy of this month's First magazine.

Well, I got my period today so at least it explains why I was eating so many sweets and felt bloated the last two days. For some reason it is easier for me to control what I eat when I have my period..not before. Today I was good. I had whole wheat toast with blueberry jam, lunch was carrots, one slice ham with mustard and a slice of whole wheat bread. Mid afternoon snack was 2 cups of Chai tea with non-fat milk. I just finished dinner which was chicken with diced tomato, garlic and another cup of chai tea. I feel full and happy not to search out junk food. I also threw out the chocolate and now the only sweets in the house are lollipops and ice cream for the kids.

For exercise today I did some gardening before it rained and planted some more ferns and hostas. My next project tonight is to sew some cushions for a wicker set for the vacation house. If I keep busy I will not be tempted to reach for food out of boredom.

I hope Ladyrider comes back soon... she must be busy with her new business.

Taiwan, how are you doing with no eating after 8p.m....I didn't forget our challenge!

Lisa, I am glad to see you posting more.

Cyan, you have been great with the exercise. It also sounds like you are having a lot of fun.

Newinspiration, it sounds like you are getting motivated to make your goals.

I hope on friday I can show a loss even if it is.5
Old 05-28-2003, 10:10 PM   #34  

Debee, sure we can do this together. Definitely wont hurt to try. I've pretty much been doing it already this week. My sis and I even made the 'miracle snack mix' and the 'slimming salad'. We went together and bought the stuff then made it all up and split it between us. I'm going to give it at least 10 days then I'll weigh and check the results. Seems like a lot of eating really because normally I dont fit in morning and afternoon snacks. Hope I dont find out I GAINED rather than lost. Seems to be a healthy menu tho. I bought mixed nuts too for my afternoon snack and measured out the half cup and put into individual sandwich bags to make sure I dont eat more than one serving. We also did that with the snack mix. Makes it much easier and less tempting to eat too much.

Cyan, you seem to love your exercise ball. I've been thinking of getting one but not sure of all the exercises you can do with them. I did read about one in "First" that is supposed to be a great help with the part under your belly button, a big problem area for me.

Lisa, great hearing from you! How does it feel to actually have a break from school for now? I hope you made it to the gym today. I know from experience the more days you miss exercising, the harder it is to get back into it.

Newinspiration, that's cool that you're able to tell already that the walking and carrying the extra weight is giving you more strength. Keep up the good work! Like you, I"m having a hard time getting my water in. Alot of the time, I honestly just dont remember to do it. Other times I'm too busy to get it in. That's my number one goal for now, to get better at that.

I do hope LadyRider, Cjunk, and Taiwan check in soon. I cant imagine what is up with Cjunk. Cant wait til they all get back with updates. I really do miss Determined Annie also. I hope her illness is improving and that one day soon, we'll sign in and have a surprise post from her.

I only walked 2 miles today. The only time we could do it was 5:00 this afternoon and it was so hot, we just couldnt make it another 2 miles. My face was RED!! From now on, we'll have to go really early or wait until 7 or 8 pm.

Oh, newinspiration...I'm from southeast Arkansas not far from the Louisiana line.

Well all, better run for now.

Miki
Old 05-29-2003, 03:34 AM   #35  

Default I am ALL here...

no weightloss to report. Actually, kinda keeping away, but I missed you all We have had some busy weeks. Last week we had fosterparent classes, 12hours!!, smack dab in the middle of the week. Messed me up bigtime with eating and my exercise routine. Now I am just plain down right LAZY!!! It is so stinkin' hot here and we are trying to save money and only use the a/c in the evening so we can sleep--just love the tropics. Anyway, I haven't been exercising, drinking my water or eating properly. I am back up to 187lbs So much for my prepregnancy weight by end of May. Maybe by his first birthday??? Someone kick me good. I am not depressed just LAZY!!!! Debee, I have been eating after 8pm, I admit it. WE do eat out alot as it just seems to hot to cook. Asia is carbo capital of the world I think. Ok, enough whining. HEy, I want to see this article from First magazine. I am willing to take a challenge. Can I see it on the web?

Newinspirations, welcome. I am Deana. An American married to a wonderful native of Taiwan. He is actually aborigine, of the Atayal tribe here in Taiwan. He is a pastor/home missionary. We have 2 little ones, both boys. Joshua almost 5yr and Josiah will be 1 on June 18th!!! we are also fosterparents/work with teen girls. So, needless to say we are busy. My highest has been 210lbs,that was after giving birth to Josiah (pregnancy weight was almost ALL me!!!). I am down to 187lbs, though a few weeks ago was down to 186lbs. Losing sight and determination here. But I just love this board, couldn't keep away. I love you all

That's all for now. Josiah is waking up from his nap.

Deana
Old 05-29-2003, 07:25 AM   #36  
Blooming Day by Day

Hi, everyone! Yesterday was one of those difficult days. I started out not walking--there was something else I REALLY wanted to do before work--check out a summer dance program for my girls--and also, even though I felt great lifting that box of 100 sheets of posterboard the day before, yesterday morning I was really sore and tired!! But yesterday I helped unload a truck containing boxes of desk calendars, which I think helped with the soreness. This morning I don't feel sore and WILL head for the track after dropping the girls off to school. I also got a good night's sleep last night!! I kept the window open a bit--had been very sweaty yesterday--oh, those perimenopausal symptoms!!--which helped me get the rest.

I really do think that whether or not I eat some kind of snack in the late afternoon has an effect on how I eat in the evening. Yesterday I didn't have really good snacks to take to work--good whole wheat carbs--only sweets, and it was a no-sweet treat day, so by the time I got home at 5:00, I was STARVING!! I also noticed a spaciness in my brain starting about 2:30 that I just couldn't shake. I ate a healthy dinner, but I just wasn't satisfied. I craved something sweet!! I had a hair appointment at 6:00, and after my cut I went to the local Walgreens to pick up a few things I needed at home. I decided to satisfy the craving with something special so I wouldn't inhale a bunch of cookies at home. I had a Snickers ice cream cone, which I slowly ate while driving around the neighborhood. I didn't want to share--I was also feeling like I needed an emotional treat for me and me only. It took care of the craving for sweets, but I did have an overly full stomach for the rest of the evening.

A bunch of things came out of that experience for me--1) Eat something late in the afternoon--maybe half a peanut butter sandwich--so I am not roaring with hunger at dinner--is that low energy level/blood sugar part of the craving?--maybe--, 2) nurture myself emotionally--my job as full-time working woman, wife, and mother don't do a lot to give me nurture, and I need that--I had been feeling deprived of "self" time for several days--3) Get that exercise--it usually makes a difference in my energy level AND mood. Yesterday was not a good mood day for me. Now don't think I am being really hard on myself because yesterday wasn't a good day for me--I don't regret my choices of the day, given the situations I was faced with--going through it all just helps me learn for the future. I will tell you, though, it was great to find a summer dance program for my girls yesterday. During the summer, they stay home in the house three days out of the week while I am at work--I hate the low cost day camp options that are available, and I can't afford the better camps--they visit Grandma the other two days--and I wanted to find something fun for them to do. And that ice cream cone tasted absolutely wonderful!! All in all, yesterday was what it was supposed to be. Maybe I can make today better. Thanks for everyone's input. It gives me "newinspiration" for my day. I know as time passes, I'll get to know everyone's name better. Bye for now.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:25 AM   #37  
I will make it!

Angry Morning Ladies

Oh this morning.....I took my vitamins as usual ..on an empty stomach...and one of the supplements I take is cayenne pepper...well ...let me tell you..I thought I was gonna die! It dissolved in my stomach before I could eat something and it was soooooo painful...it felt like I had drunk acid and it was boring a hole in my stomach Man...I had to rush and drink pepto bismal to coat my stomach....ugh!

Anyway...thank goodness the pain is gone! Oh I was very very bad last night for dinner...I had mcdonalds! My coworker had it for lunch so the seed was planted. And I didnt exercise...I just sat infront of the tube and watched tv all night long.

So tonight is badminton...thank goodness and I am ok for junkfood binges for awhile.

oooo....gues who is filming outside my work building! Angelina Jolie and Ethan Hawke....and arond the corner.....Halle Berry and Penelope Cruz....its hollywood over here in my neck of the woods

Well I am off to star gaze...later ladies

Cyan
Old 05-29-2003, 10:55 AM   #38  

Hello ladies! Yesterday, my daughter was still sick but I did go to the gym at 7pm. I did 60 minutes on the treadmill walking a total of 3.66 miles and burning 556 calories!! After that I did my weights. I felt great.

I too started my period yesterday. I knew it was coming. I was craving sweets and very moody. I was tired and my breasts were hurting sooooo bad. Boy, as I get older, my PMS gets worse! Oh well, at least I'm not pregnant!!!!

It is very nice to have a break from school. I start back up again next Monday. I will be going in the evenings though, so I will have time with you guys all summer!!! Also, I'm very excited to have the days with my kids.

I'm still trying to get a job at the hospital! I'm very distressed as to why I haven't heard anything!!! It's very annoying. Three students from my nursing class started their new jobs at the hospital 2 days ago!!!

Well, that's all for now. I'm off to the gym again! YIPEE. I really enjoy going! I had burned a CD on the computer of good songs to workout to. Last night I listened to it while I worked out and it made all the difference. It kept me going! It was great. So, if you're getting bored with your workout...put on some great workout music!!!

Okay, that's my tip for the day !

Lisa
Old 05-29-2003, 09:40 PM   #39  

Hi ladies,

Newinspiration, when I read your post I could relate. I noticed when I do not take time for myself that is when I start to overeat. The time that I was losing weight the best was a few months ago when I was going to a spa with a gift certificate I got last Christmas. Sometimes being a wife and mom just does not leave any time for yourself. However, next time instead of a food reward like an ice cream cone try a hot bubble bath or buy yourself something a size smaller or even some flowers...it works for me.

Cyan, maybe you can see if you can be an extra in one of those movies! Last week I had a day like you were describing ...just felt unmotivated but those days pass and youy just have to move on and keep moving toward your goal.

Deana, I'll post the diet from First magazine in my next post and then anyone can join in. I started yesterday and did some of it today. Like with most diets I tend to modify it to fit my tastes and lifestyle.

Lisa, I know you get a job soon! Great tip about the CD's.

Today was for the most part agood day...I ate oatmeal for breakfast, lunch was hummus with carrots, mid-afternoon snack was two teaspoons peanut butter with celery and dinner was at an Indian resturant (hubby got home early and wanted to eat out) I just had some rice and chicken and some nan (indian bread) I had no sweets today and didn't even crave any. For exercise I spent the day gardening...I love to garden and since today was warm and sunny it was nice to be outside. As I was sitting planting herbs in window boxes for the back porch and my cat buttercup was purring next to me and Jake was kicking a ball ...I felt very happy and tried to really "feel" that moment so next time I am stressed I can remember that moment and relax (I know it sounds "new age" but I wonder if it will work.

On a sad note, my neighbor is back in the hospital...about a year ago she had ovarian cancer and had radical chemo treatment two weeks ago she wasn't feeling well and went to get it checked and they found over 30 cancerous tumors on her liver...doesn't sound good. Made me think a lot about what is really important in life...

Oh well, hope to post the diet and more positive news along with my weigh-in results on Friday.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:26 PM   #40  

Ok, confession time. My sis and I and all of our kids went out of town today shopping. We ate brunch ( it was around 10 am) at IHOP. We didnt do really badly since we ordered one thing between us and shared it. It was a Santa Fe omelet that came with a side order of pancakes. We split both. (I mean just between me and sis..not ALL of us ) Anyway, that would have been fine except when hubby got home at 5 and had only had a sandwich for lunch, he was starving and wanted to go out. Soooo I had chicken tips with bellpeppers and onions, a baked potato, salad and bread. That was way too much after that omelet and pancakes. Also, didnt get to walk. I did play basketball with Josh for an hour tonite but I rarely got my hands on the ball.

Debee, guess I blew that "no carbs at nite" part of our new plan...I'm getting back with the program tomorrow tho. Sorry to hear your neighbor's news. I'll put her in my prayers.

Deana, girl you better quit keeping away from us when you get off track. Don't make me head to Taiwan. It's totally understandable with all you have to do but come in here and we'll talk you back into gear, k?? Not gonna kick you this time, but cant make any promises about the next one, young lady.

Lisa, Yeahhh...so proud of you making it to the gym. Dont worry about the job...when the time is right, I'm sure you'll hear from the hospital. Just look at it as a little more time with your kids...and us! Oh and you are so right about the music. It makes ALL the difference!!

Cyan, how exciting having the stars all about! That's very cool. I think Halle Berry is gorgeous. Now THATS the kind of body I want...not going to hold my breath tho Wow, that pepper episode sounds awful. Glad you got it under control.

Newinspiration...sounds like you learning alot as you go along on the journey toward weightloss. That knowledge will help you succeed for sure. I think getting our mindset right is about 90% of the equation for success. Once we get it right mentally and emotionally, the eating and exercise will also fall into place.

Have a great Friday everyone!

Miki
Old 05-30-2003, 07:41 AM   #41  
Blooming Day by Day

Angry Good morning--it's Friday!!!

Hi, everyone!! I am so-o-o glad it's Friday. It's been a very busy and hard-working week for me. I've decided that after work today, I am going to blow off the evening--that is one of the things I do for myself when I've had a hard week. I'll treat the kids to McDonald's (I'll have one of those new salads they are talking about--no junk, I promise) and make something very simple for hubby. He comes home late on Friday nights--goes shopping for an hour or two after work to miss Chicago's Friday rush hour traffic, so it's a girls' night at our house till about 8 p.m. Then I'll either curl up in bed with a book/magazine, crochet, or work in the yard.

Thanks, debee, for the suggestions of what to do when I am feeling need for "me" time. You hit a nail on the head for me that I never really noticed before. I too tend to eat when I am not getting time for myself. I am feeling very empty emotionally, and somewhere I think a full stomach is going to fix that. As a matter of fact, I did an alternative activity yesterday after a very frustrating day at work where I either had to struggle with every project I undertook or fix other people's mistakes. I also spent 30 minutes vacuuming our store and 45 minutes loading and unloading our company van with boxes of stock for one of our stores--lots of calories burned there--both very physical. I first made up my mind at one point that "tomorrow is another day" and didn't try to finish everything before leaving. I left work exactly on time--I usually don't do that. Then I went straight to the local Wal-mart to do some browsing and shopping for an hour. I would have liked to stayed there about 3 hours, but I had to pick up my kids at Extended Day Care at school. Anyway, I bought some pretty plants to put in pots on my deck, and it was good to be out alone for a while. I still wasn't completely better at home after a reasonable dinner, so I spent a few minutes telling hubby about my day, and then I went to bed and read/napped. I did much better at food for the day--only ate 2 cookies not on my schedule and had a bit larger bowl of cereal before bed than usual--I wish I could go without food before bed, but I can't sleep on an empty stomach. I did walk too in the morning. I tried something different with my weights. I will share in the upcoming days.

I wish I could keep up with the names of everyone here. I'm sure I'll get there soon. Here are some thoughts from what I read on yesterday's posts.

For the person hoping for a job at the hospital--the right job will come for you at exactly the right time. Just believe that and be at peace with it. I've found out that it all works out right in the long run.:

For the person having trouble with motivation and having a bad day with the food, just start over today. I don't know if I am getting anywhere poundwise or inchwise, but I made up my mind this time that I'm not giving up, no matter how messy it gets at times or even if I don't reach my desired goal. At the very least, I will be healthier and stronger--both physically and emotionally. DON'T LET DISCOURAGEMENT GET YOU DOWN!!!

Well, anyway, ladies, thanks for all your ideas. I'm going to try to put them to use today and get "newinspiration" from all of you!
Old 05-30-2003, 09:15 AM   #42  
I will make it!

Talking Happy Friday Everyone

I love fridays..yes I doooooo! To bad its only 9.15am and that I still have a whole day of work...arhg!

But tonight we are having...yes...Sushiiiiiiiiii....yum yum and then we are gonna go shopping...I love shopping.

I played badminton last night and once again...what a workout..I also ate very well...having a greek salad..tomato, onion and low fat feta! drizzled with olive oil, oregano, salt and vinegar...sooooooooo good.

Well as much as I would love to post all they long..I'm afraid my work awaits me.

Good to hear that everyone is doing well and stay movitvated and inspired to do well

Have a great friday and I hope your weekend rocks too

Cyan
Old 05-30-2003, 09:40 PM   #43  

Newinspiration...Here's a little secret that I didnt figure out for weeks when I first started posting. If you click on the "Post reply" button and post from there rather than the quick post, once you're on the place to post, you can scroll down and see all of the last several posts. That way you can scroll down and read, then scroll up and type, then back down to read the next one. I couldnt believe it when I finally realized I could have been doing that all along. That's how I keep up with who says what and am able to reply individually. I dont always post to each individual tho cuz at times I'm too lazy and at others I'm just too busy to take so much time. Anyway, hope that helps you.

Cyan, my workout tapes finally arrived!! Only 3 weeks past the time it should have taken but at least they're here. I did the Ab workout tonite. I'll let you know how I feel tomorrow. (if Im able )

Not happy with today's weigh-in...I was up a pound. Oh well, maybe next week. Still not giving up!

Happy Friday all....hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

Miki
Old 05-31-2003, 07:12 AM   #44  
Blooming Day by Day

Angry The Weekend--Finally!

It's finally here!! Boy, did I need the Saturday! Thanks, MikiG, for the info on how to work this screen so I can see all the recent postings. Normally I do use the Post Reply so I can use the smilies, but I never scrolled past the message I was typing, or even for that matter looked at the side scroll bar to notice that there was actually something to scroll to. I just tried it, and it was really cool! Thanks for clueing me in!! Now I won't have to rely on my memory and sticky notes! Also, hang in there with that pound. It will come off again. Just don't give up!

I am so proud of myself. I got take-out from Wendy's with my kids last night, and had a sour cream and chive baked potato and a caesar salad. I ate the stuff that came with it--dressing, croutons, butter, sour cream--but I didn't take any extra from the fridge (I had considered doing that). I did have one chicken nugget from the girls' dinners, but only because it was an odd one after nugget division between two kids. I did have two sandwich cookies in the evening and a reasonable snack before bed, but overall I did very well, considering the temptations I felt inside--won't go into it.

I didn't walk yesterday, but I did buy "WATP for Abs" 3 tape set with waist resistance belt. I considered not buying the whole set because I thought tape 1 might be too easy, but I thought I might use it for getting into the habit--that's the hardest part for me. It's only a 15 minute commitment per day, which I thought was doable to create a habit. The price for the whole set was ridiculously low too, which made it more inviting, not to mention that it is supposed to work on my big-time trouble spot--abs. I also think that it might give me an extra workout, as well as take the place of outdoor walking if I don't do it on a day for some reason. Well, I'll do it this morning before anyone else at my house gets up, and I'll let everyone know how it seems to be.

Thanks, everyone, for all your posts. I go on-line early each morning, and it's great to start with everyone's news and encouragement. Have a great day!!
Old 06-01-2003, 12:50 PM   #45  

Hello everyone!

Cyan, I went out yesterday and bought a Badminton set. I cant wait to try it out.

Newinspiration...I did the same as you. I just never noticed that I could scroll down. Happened to see it by accident and had to laugh at myself. I was working so hard to try to remember what everyone had said and who had said it and it seemed that everyone else could post forever in response to the others. It was nice to find out it wasnt that my memory was so much worse than theirs.

Well, so far I've done one day of abs and one day of thighs with my new tapes. Today is arms and I previewed it. I have a feeling it's gonna kill me. It's lots of pushups etc and I dont think I can even do ONE. I"m sore but not as bad as I figured. Of course, it's only been 2 days too.

Had a good day yesterday. Had lunch with my 2 best friends from high school. Just like old times.

How is everyone else's weekend going?? Anxious to hear from you all.

Miki
Closed Thread