Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 10:17 AM   #106  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Hey Red - Congrats on doing SO well with your challenges!! Christmas isn't celebrated in Japan? Well, I'm here on Christmas morning, but not for long. I have to do a couple things on the computer and then, go downstairs and workout with my Wii Fit, then shower and go celebrate Christmas with my DH's aunt, uncle and cousins! Should be a really fun day!

Merry Christmas everyone!!
Old 12-25-2009, 02:34 PM   #107  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Hope everyone has had a good Christmas Day and will be back in the New Year.

I've dropped the ball on everything now. I'll be back on the exercise today and back to normal in the next 5 days or so.

Meantime have a safe and happy holiday season.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:53 AM   #108  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Wink seven is heaven...

One week done!!

No Sugar Challenge Day 7 completed 0 pauses taken

diyana -- It's celebrated or at least recognized a tiny bit, eating cake on Xmas Eve, maybe some people in international marriages celebrating or Christians, but that's about all. There are lots of decorations though. The big holiday here is New Year's and the days around it. Hope you had a good day!

Shad -- I hear you on the dropped challenges. I am keeping at mine though. It's easier since it's not a holiday here and New Year's is not a eating holiday either....actually, there are none in Japan. Sure, there is special New Year's food but it's fish and beans and stuff...and I don't eat it anyhow. See you around!

Last edited by redballoon; 12-26-2009 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:32 PM   #109  
Never give up

Cool fight!

Well, it's the start of Day 8. I am also going to start a calorie awareness challenge because my weight has steadily climbed since I stopped counting. I know I was eating way too much but hated the counting and the fact that I tend to sacrifice nutrition. The last time I did a counting challenge I was allowing myself sugar though so this next step is to aim for a limit while not eating sugar. It will be hard as I overeat to compensate for the feelings of deprivation. Allowing myself sugar ALWAYS leads to an escalation for me. I cannot control myself with the stuff.

Yesterday and today I forced myself out of bed instead of allowing myself to lie there for hours and hours. I think it may have helped or maybe I have taken a turn for the better and can pull myself up by the bootstraps. I rode and went to the gym and jogged 5 whole minutes (!!) for the first time in months after doing some leg weight training.

Today's a big race and an emotionally trying day for me as there are problems with the press club...but I won't go into that. I am not depressed without reason. It's always been so tough here but I keep fighting...don't really know why though....anyhow, wish me luck on a sugar-free day!
Old 12-26-2009, 07:42 PM   #110  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Wishing you luck and a better time coming up Red

Back with challenges soon
Old 12-27-2009, 10:49 AM   #111  
Creating a Healthier Me

Sorry for being away for a couple days. I spent all day yesterday working on websites...and here I am back at it again. DH is snowblowing the little bit of snow we got yesterday.

Red - Good for you for attempting a calorie limit challenge at the same time as a no sugar challenge! Are you allowing yourself artificial sweeteners? Does no sugar include no alcohol? Do people in Japan celebrate New Years the same was as Americans typically do - by gathering with friends at parties or bars and drinking a lot? DH and I don't like to go out on New Years because it's amateur night....all the people that aren't used to drinking feel obligated to get hammered and then try and drive. And if there's snow or ice on the roads...well, that just makes the situation more trecherous. Good for you for getting to the gym! Hope you're having a good day today!

As for me, I'm doing my cardio on the Wii Fit - using Step, Rhythm Kung Fu and Running. Now that I know more or less what I'm doing, I can get a good workout....and the Yoga and the Balance exercises are really challenging too. I haven't done the strength training yet, but they look like a challenge as well. The weather is supposed to be halfway decent this week so I'm going to try and get to the gym a few times.

Drink 64 ounces of water - 3 pauses left- Day 15 completed
5 servings of fruits and veg - 3 pauses left - Day 15 completed
1/2 hour of cardio - 3 pauses taken, 0 pauses left - Day 12 completed
Old 12-28-2009, 08:06 AM   #112  
Creating a Healthier Me

Hi all,

Another day down. I'm sure my food has not been as good as it could be as I'm feeling bloated today and I think I discovered a bigger muffin top when I put on a pair of work slacks which I haven't worn in 4 days. But it is nearing the eve of the New Year.

Here's my results from yesterday:

Drink 64 ounces of water - 3 pauses left- Day 16 completed
5 servings of fruits and veg - 3 pauses left - Day 16 completed
1/2 hour of cardio - 3 pauses taken, 0 pauses left - Day 13 completed - I love Wii Fit!!
Old 12-28-2009, 02:16 PM   #113  
Taking care of me.

Hello Ladies,

Glad to see everyone made it thru Christmas with challenges (mostly) intact.

Let's keep at it - only a few more days to go for the year.

I love me - day 8 completed 1 pause used
Old 12-28-2009, 05:52 PM   #114  
Never give up

No Sugar Challenge Day 9 completed 0 pauses taken

Last edited by redballoon; 12-28-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:43 AM   #115  
Creating a Healthier Me

Drink 64 ounces of water - 3 pauses left- Day 17 completed
5 servings of fruits and veg - 3 pauses left - Day 17 completed
1/2 hour of cardio - 3 pauses taken, 0 pauses left - Day 14 completed - 45 minutes yesterday actually - I love Wii Fit!!
Old 12-29-2009, 08:01 AM   #116  
Never give up

No Sugar Challenge Day 10 completed 0 pauses taken
Will try to write tomorrow.
Good going, diyana!
Old 12-29-2009, 09:13 AM   #117  
Creating a Healthier Me

Good going to you too, Red! Wow! 10 days no sugar! I'm extremely impressed!! YGG!!
Old 12-30-2009, 07:19 AM   #118  
Creating a Healthier Me

Drink 64 ounces of water - 3 pauses left- Day 18 completed
5 servings of fruits and veg - 3 pauses left - Day 18 completed
1/2 hour of cardio - 3 pauses taken, 0 pauses left - Day 15 completed
Old 12-30-2009, 01:23 PM   #119  
Taking care of me.

redballoon and diyana - great work on the challenges - KEEP IT UP

I love me - day 10 completed 1 pause
Old 12-30-2009, 10:30 PM   #120  
Never give up

Thumbs up

New Year's Eve here. I'm going to head out to the gym in a bit. They have special hours (and an additional fee) over the next three days, but I'm happy to pay and get a workout in.
I notched another day. I did allow myself a little bit but this round I am allowing for a slightly loose interpretation. I think my skin is better because of it. Don't really know though. But plan to keep it up. And slowly, I believe it is becoming a habit, a lifestyle...this of course after rounds and rounds of no sugar.

No Sugar Challenge Day 11 completed 0 pauses taken

Wishing you all an enjoyable New Year's Eve. Be aware that it is a BLUE MOON, the first in over two and a half years. On New Year's Eve, it's especially romantic. Look up and realize it's a truly rare night.
Here's some links for you to listen to... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4218R...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCL5x63OvUY

Move -- Good for you for keeping up with your challenge. I see you had a pause in there. Did you just forget? I hope you weren't feeling especially unloving to yourself or anything.

Shad -- Things may be looking up. I went to a new riding club yesterday, one that I hadn't known about that an acquaintance of mine runs with her husband. It could be the answer to my dilemma with my horse. Keeping my fingers crossed.

diyana -- Good work there! No, I'm not doing no alcohol, just no sugar. Yes, I know that the body reacts to both the same, but I have to take them separately. I'm not drinking much though, but this time of year there are parties and, heck, a bit of the brew is called for. Also, sugar seems to affect my skin far more than alcohol. I went off alcohol totally and didn't see any improvement in my skin. But when I stopped sugar it always improved. Something, however, didn't click with me. Maybe I didn't want to see it.
As for New Year's here, it's the exact opposite of the States. It's a solemn occasion, with people going back to their hometowns to spend time with family. At all the temples, big or small, at midnight, the large temple bell is rung. It's a solemn, eery slow gonging. I love it. Then for the first few days of the new year, people go to the temple to make wishes for the year. Of course, here in Tokyo, you can find loud parties going on at the foreign hangouts. I always made it a combination night, standing for hours in line at the big temples to await midnight, but also getting pretty drunk. Tonight I have no plans but I don't really care either way. Except I love the fact that it is a blue moon...I am a diehard romantic!

Here's a good video that shows the bell ringing. It's slow because the bell is not hit until the sound dies away. You can also see people drinking sweet rice wine (non-alcoholic). It's truly cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0wq0_TJPwQ

Closed Thread