Old 09-14-2009, 08:44 AM   #121  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Wow Michelle - you are doing GREAT with the steps! That's a pretty intense committment. Sorry to hear the meds are giving you the crazy munchies - hope that doesn't last too long. Good for you for planning ahead with the veggies.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:54 AM   #122  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Happy - I hope you get a little relief at work so maybe your nights can be relaxing this week. Sorry about bragging about the Packers win. It was a close game...way too close for my liking. Scary close. As for planning ahead with the crazy munchies...I was pretty much out of control on Friday night and Saturday until I got to the store. Luckily, I don't keep too much junk in the house....But it was like I would just finish eating one thing and in a few minutes, I'd be fixing something else. Stupid Prednisone! It can really mess with a person (or at least with me). Hopefully, I'll just need this one course, which will be done after tomorrow.
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:58 AM   #123  
Creating a Healthier Me

Annie - I just got an email that contained instructions on two exercises that relieve shoulder tension. Here you go: http://www.practicalyoga.tv/showcont...entID=72086373
Old 09-14-2009, 10:15 AM   #124  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

morning every one
back at work this morning and it's raining.

Week end went by to fast. I did get to go shopping Saturday in Jonesboro, AR at JCPenny's. Bought 2 top's by Alfred Dunner and a pair of those new Sketcher shoe's they are advertising on t.v. They felt good on but did no wear them today.

More later.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:55 AM   #125  
Creating a Healthier Me

Ceejay - please let us know how you like the Skechers shoes. They look really cool. I'm curious to know if they really work your legs as advertised.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #126  
Choose your hard

I bought a pair of MBTs earlier this year - DH got a pair also. I saw the Sketchers but honestly I have never had a pair of Sketchers that fit me comfortably (and I have tried on many, many pairs) - so I didn't even try them. Both DH and I like the MBTs so far. His is an oxford leather than he can wear with jeans or Dockers. I am jealous. I first ordered a pair of Mary Janes from Zappos but the top rubbed uncomfortably against my instep. I found a local store that carried them and DH and I went shopping. We happened to hit in between seasons so there was not a big range in choice. I settled on a cute brown canvas lace up pair. It's great for jeans but unfortunately I can't wear them to work so my use is limited to the weekends. I did find that the leather shoes - even the open Mary Janes got very warm after a short wearing - that's another reason I went with the canvas ones. I also felt that different styles fit differently and I did not wear the same size consistently so that makes shopping online kind of a hassle unless you go to a store, find a style you like and stick with re-orders online. The shoes are a bit heavy and it doesn't take long to get used to the rolling motion. I find it kind of like walking on springs - makes you sort of want to actually jog - I would not drive with them on - soles too thick. I also would not walk on uneven surfaces as in grassy lots - ok to wear on paved walking paths but I myself would not wear them on gravel or grassy areas because of the slight instability that is part of the design. I wear mine on the weekend because (once I get up from the computer ) I am on my feet for most of the day and evening on Saturday and Sunday and my feet used to kill me when I finally sat down or went to bed. Not so with the MBTs. DH needs cushy shoes too and said they also ease the stress on feet and back. Because I pretty much only wear them on the weekend, I can't speak to the toning benefits touted with these shoes. As the weather cools and the bugs calm down and DH and I can go for evening walks, I will wear them more and let you know if I see any muscle benefits.

I guess the Sketchers are much cheaper than the MBTs - given your back issues Michelle - you might want to check them out simply to ease the strain on your back and knees - they are like shock absorbers for the feet.

Last edited by happy2bme; 09-14-2009 at 01:24 PM. Reason: typos - brain thought one word, fingers typed something totally different
Old 09-14-2009, 01:42 PM   #127  

Hello everyone. Back to Monday. What gorgeous weather we're having here! I've been taking dog walks a lot lately just so I can savor this weather. This morning I attended an off-site industry meeting and I'm working the rest of the day from home. I'm out in the 3 season room with windows on 3 sides, looking out into the yard. Not as well-tended as Shad's, to be sure, but green and sunny and pleasant nevertheless. (Trying to ignore the jackhammer sound coming from a block or two away.)

Annie – Oh, I don't envy you on the work front! I sincerely hope you find a way to wind down after your two jobs and get some sleep, otherwise you'll be worn down and sick in no time. How about one of those massaging chairs or chair pads? Compared to the cost of an actual masseuse, it could pay for itself pretty quickly

Ceejay – Nice when you have a successful shopping trip. For people like me who don't do it for pleasure, it's frustrating to not find what you want. Let us know how the Sketchers work for you.

Happy – Sorry you got cheated out of your weekend. Yep, one more month until my vacation too! I like the idea that the MBT's are cushy. Having had some foot problems this year, I'm looking for a cushy shoe!

Mel – Keep holding down the fort (yet again)! Wow, both elevators broke down! Not good for people so dependent on them! Thanks for the link w/ the menus. That's the reality of what it takes.

Michelle – Glad the prednisone is doing the job, but that side affect is the last thing anyone needs. Good job getting those smart snacks. Aargh, don't wanna talk about Sunday's football game!

Shad – Lovely photos! Must be happy to see the end coming on the loo project! Thought of you this weekend when I was cleaning the floor behind the commode, LOL.

I have to exercise more control at the book clubs. One school of thought is to stick w/ the healthy stuff, and there's usually fruit & veggies available (just have to avoid the dip!). The other school of thought is too only eat a bit of the special stuff that you particularly like and ignore the stuff you can get anytime. Unfortunately I don't subscribe to either school – I eat a bit of everything and then some more of the really tasty stuff (everyone brings something). And let's not forget the drinks. I've discovered that I really like Absolut Mandarin Orange vodka mixed w/ pineapple juice. Groan. Would weight management be easier if there was a food meter inside me that tallied my calories throughout the day? Or would I go into shock when I saw how quickly the meter spins, LOL?
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:16 PM   #128  
Creating a Healthier Me

Happy - Thanks for the suggestion and great review of the MBTs. Shock absorbers for the feet sounds great!

Laura - It's gorgeous here too! Warm (low 80s) and sunny! How nice that you can work from home. I love your idea about the internal food meter! Too funny! But that would be helpful.

I just went for a 2 mile walk at lunch which brings my steps for the day to 7400 (so far). I was planning on going to the gym tonight after work, but with it being so nice out, I think I'll go for a walk around the neighborhood instead. That should put me well up over the 10,000 steps mark for the day. No doubt the really cold weather will be here way too soon, I'd better enjoy the 80 degree temps while we have them. It's supposed to cool down to the upper 60s/low 70s by the weekend.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:51 PM   #129  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

IT'S BEEN A VERY BUSY DAY AND I JUST GOT DONE FROM THIS MORNING. THEY SENT FORMS FOR THE REGULAR FLU SHOT FOR NEXT WEDS AND I FILLED THEM OUT FOR A BUNCH OF PEOPLE TODAY. THIS WAY IT'S DONE. SOMEONE ELSE IS RUNNING THE SHOW BECAUSE I GAVE THEM MY NOTICE A FEW MONTHS AGO. JEN AND I ARE WAITING TILL THE CROWD DISPERSES AND THEN GOING TO GET OURS. I JUST READ EVERYONE'S POST AND PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR NOT DOING PERSONALS. JUST BEAT AND BLIND! SENDING LOVE TO EVERYONE AND I THINK MY DAUGHTER LIVES IN SKETCHERS. ARE THEY THE SNEAKER TYPE SHOE WITH THE CRISS-CROSS STRAPS?
HAVE A GREAT NIGHT. TOMORROW IS FOOD SHOPPING. SEE YOU AFTER THAT.

Last edited by MELODY525; 09-14-2009 at 03:52 PM.
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:02 PM   #130  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Morning all,
Let's get the bad news out of the way first. No I did not get the job. Apparently I was not a good team fit! WTF. The recruiter was going to get more info, but I doubt I will hear from him again. It almost seems as if someone out there is gunning for me with these interviews and maybe they are after the last job in Sydney. But something will come up, probably when I don't want it to - that's life.

Other than that, I get to go back to the hearing place today to pick up my right aid and get the other adjusted as necessary. I have a few questions and niggles. The DS2 keeps telling me it is turned up too far because I keep asking him to tone it down - he's too loud.

Michelle - good to hear that the prednisone is almost done. I know my friend Chris used to get very anti on it and she was always looking for food. We used to go through various countries, eating our way around the world.
Well done on the 10000 steps. It's around 10k from what I can gather.

Laura - walking th dogs is good exercise, particularly if you can throw sticks or balls for them at the same time. All that bending, tugging and throwing. Good to be able to work from home.

Patty - hope you have settled into the office now.

Ceejay - The new clothes sound nice - don't think we have Sketchers over here. If we do, I haven't seen them and I am big on comfortable shoes so I think I would have seen or read about them.

Happy - are you going on vacation again??? Oh that's right you said something a while back about going back to the yurts area. It's nice to think that the loo will be done by next weekend. I have some painting left to do and decorating. I have a glass jellyfish picture that I got while in Monterey with Carla a couple of years back. That will fit in there, also I want to put in a glass shelf and a basket for the spare rolls and maybe a magazine rack for those that like to linger!!!
Are the hummingbirds still swarming?

Mel - sorry to hear the peepers are not performing as well as the skin is Go for it maintenance lady. Adding elevators to the equation now are we? Are well I guess they are not being serviced regularly (or are they) and therefore hot spots and potential problems are not observed. Things we do to save a $.

Annie - reckon you deserve a massage and pamper after the hours you are pulling. Our taxes are so high these days that it is not worth getting a second job - wear yourself out and pay more out in taxes is not conduicive to getting ahead. We used to do it but no longer.

Okay - I am off to do some more gardening and more cleaning - trying to clear the mess DS2 is making with his electrical project. My goal for the day is to get at least two things permanently off my list.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:25 AM   #131  
Choose your hard

Good morning chicks,

Yesterday was another awful day at work. This project is cursed, I swear. Can't wait until it's over and I'm just on the fringes of it.

Shad - I do hope you have not been blacklisted amongst the tongue waggers. Then again, it's it like here over there, the world does not make sense any more. I'm pulling for you - as you say, something will come along. The jellyfish pic sounds perfect for the loo. And yes, the hummingbirds are in full swarm - it's dangerous to walk in the back yard - the autoban of the hummingbird world. Neat to watch and we placed one feeder right outside the big kitchen window so now I can see them up close.

Mel - DH was cleaning the pool yesterday and a little froggy was in there. Not a toad but a real swimmer. He got sucked into the skimmer, DH rescued him and he jumped right back in the pool again, sucked in skimmer, remove and repeat. He said he was have a gay old time swimming. I said too bad you could not get a picture for Mel. So I guess you have a buddy waiting on you Missy. And yes, sounds like Jen wears the Sketchers. They look cute, just not enough support for me.

Michelle - you are going fabulous on the stepping out. Go girl It's getting darker and cooler here too - I noticed it's dropping to the low 60's at night. It's a sort of a gradual step down but it's happening.

Laura - the 3 season room sounds so nice - all the greatness of being outdoors but without the bugs. The drink sounds delicious but sweet - of course I should talk as I like amaretto and orange juice or lemonade Used to drink white zinfandel but I'm the only one who drinks wine and can't finish off a whole bottle by myself, so if I have a drink it's usually one mixed drink. Got a great recipe for a slushy amaretto punch too that is yum yum for summer.

Good morning Annie - did you find the energy to get up this morning or are you hugging the pillow? Hope you get a pick me up latte today.

Gotta run now - have a good Tuesday ladies - I won't - still working on that infernal presentation
Old 09-15-2009, 08:28 AM   #132  
Choose your hard

oh and I was sad to see last night that Patrick Swazey lost his battle with cancer. I knew it did not look good for him. He is on my short list of admirable famous people. I always thought he was a class act and just a hunk of total foxiness... Tip my hat to you sir.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:39 AM   #133  
Happy September

SHAD~ SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THE JOB. ARE YOU BECOMING FAMOUS AND SOMEONE IS TRYING TO BECOME #1 IN YOUR PLACE? MAYBE THE TFG! I CAN NEVER GET THAT MAN OUT OF MY MIND HOPE SOMETHING GOOD COMES YOUR WAY JEN & RICHIE ARE LOUD ENOUGH WITHOUT AN AID!!!

HAPPY~ THE FROG STORY IS TOOOO FUNNY!!! WHO WON IN THE END? THE FROG OR DH??? OMG!!
HOPE THIS PROJECT GOES EASIER AS THE DAYS GO MBY. GUESS THAT'S A BIT OPTIMISTIC ON MY PART!! BUT WILL WISH FOR IT ANYWAY. SENDING A HUG TO GET YOU THRU TO THE END

:cifdate: JOHN HAD TO CALL THE ELEVATOR MAN BACK AGAIN. I FOUND THE DOOR STILL GIVING PROBLEMS THE NIGHT BEFORE. SEEMS BETTER THIS MORNING. THE PROB WITH THE 2 OF THEM IS THAT THEY ARE 25 YRS OLD AND USED 24/7. THIS PLACE IS MORE LIKE A HOSPITAL IN USAGE AND DAMAGE THAN AN APARTMENT BLDG. WE GET SERVICED AND INSPECTED CONSTANTLY. THEY GET DAMAGED WITH WHEELCHAIRS, WALKERS AND MOVING MEN. I ALWAYS THOUGHT WE SHOULD HAVE A HEAVIER DUTY ELEVATORs. BUT......
ANYWAY.....JEN IS GOING TO THE STORE TOMORROW AND TAKING MY LIST WITH HER. IT'S TINY. SO I AM TAKING A DAY OF REST TODAY. SUPPOSED TO WARM UP LATER ON TO THE 80'S.
HAPPY TUESDAY/WEDNESDAY
Old 09-15-2009, 08:46 AM   #134  
Happy September

HAPPY...I JUST SAW THAT HE DIED ON THE AOL NEWS PAGE. WE WILL ALWAYS HAVE HIM ON FILM. SHAME TO SEE HIM GO AND HE WAS SO YOUNG YET.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:39 AM   #135  
Creating a Healthier Me

Happy Tuesday ladies -

I managed to walk about 12,000 steps yesterday (which is nearly 5 miles based on my stride length), about an hour of which was in the cardio/fat burning zone. Even though I have a sedentary job, the building I work in is quite large so it takes nearly 250 steps round trip to go to the loo, about 700 or 800 to go to the cafeteria to get more water or coffee, and if you walk around the entire complex of office buildings of which one building is my company, that's roughly 2 miles. We've had lovely weather...which has made it nice to go out for a walk at lunch and then take another walk after I get home from work.

Yesterday was a stressful day. The details are too long and complicated to get into, but my 25 year old nephew is being a closed-minded idiot, and there's no opening his mind - believe me, I've tried. I'm ticked off that after all the family has done for him, he's essentially cutting off contact with a family member because she's having sex and not married. This person is my step-mother (his step-grandmother) and she's been in a relationship with a very nice man for over 4 years (since two years after my dad passed away). It's not that my nephew can't accept that she's with someone other than his late grandfather...it's the sex outside of marriage. And as my stepmother told me...it's not like they're having wild sex....at their age (late 70s/early 80s) it's more about companionship. I told her it's none of his business what she does. The rest of the family is so glad that she's met this man who cares very much about her and makes her so happy. Arrrgh. The "kid" just needs to wake up, smell the coffee and get a dose of what reality is. He lives in his own little world with his strict moral standards and he cuts off anyone who doesn't agree. I mean, it's not like this is a new relationship. My step-mom has been with this man for over 4 years. And my nephew didn't mind it enough to NOT accept her gifts or her checks. Sheesh! What a closed minded jackass. Anyway, thanks for letting me vent.

I've just gotta accept that he is how he is, move on and not stress about it. It does no good. I'm not going to focus on what frustrates me....I'm going to focus on all that I enjoy and all the positive people/relationships/aspects in my life and how fortunate I am.

Mel - I'm scheduled to get my seasonal flu shot on 10/5. They are giving the shots here at work, which is nice. I talked to my doctor about the H1N1 and despite my tendency toward bronchitis and pneumonia, he says I don't need to get the H1N1 vaccine, which is good. I'm so glad to hear you're going to have a restful, relaxing day. You rest those peepers now, young lady!

Shad - So sorry to hear you didn't get the job. I hope that no one is gunning for you. That would suck. At least you get to work on your home renovations. Your ideas for decorating the loo sound lovely! Did you get the glass jellyfish picture in Monterey, California (or another Monterey)? Monterey, CA is so lovely, as is Carmel - which is near there.

Happy - I hope you have a better day at work today. Are you seeing the light at the end of the project tunnel? Or is it a freight train? How cool that you have so many hummingbirds! We see one or two occasionally at our feeders. Loved the story about DH continually rescuing the froggy! I was also sad to hear about Patrick Swayze. He was so young. You're right...he was a class act and a total hunk!

Annie - I'm sure your exhausted after all your long hours at CVS. Take care of yourself, girlfriend.

Well, I'd better get back to work!

A big to Ceejay, Laura and everyone!

Lots of love and hugs to all,