Old 07-26-2009, 06:09 PM   #196  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Hang in there Red. End of the month is coming and you need to just get to that point. It won't stop all of your worries, but it will be one big monkey off your back. Once you get back on your feet and start feeling better, things will start to snap back into place. How do I know this, because I've just been through it.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:11 PM   #197  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Thanks, Shad.
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:16 AM   #198  
Slower But Get'n There

S/C/G: 287.6/243.6/199

Height: 5'7"

Hi, everyone!

1. Journal my food daily, every bite.-2 pauses allowed-Day 0
2. Drink 24 oz water-1 pause allowed- Day 1
3. No eating after 10:45 p.m. unless it's fruit-3 pauses allowed- Day 0
4. 1 fruit minimum daily-3 pauses allowed-Day 1
5. 1 vege minimum daily -3 pauses allowed-Day 1
JazzyPeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:04 AM   #199  
Never give up

Thumbs up clear!

Got to the gym today for the first time in a long time. Had to keep it short as I was late for work but it felt good! Clear on ALL challenges today! Yippee!!

Good foods challenge -- Day 1 completed
No sugar in any form! Day 1 completed
No alcohol Day 8 completed 1 pause taken
No smoking Day 9 completed 1 pause taken
Journal Day 10 completed no pauses allowed
Caffeine Cut (Round 2!) Day 19 completed 0 pauses taken
Old 07-27-2009, 08:04 AM   #200  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Red - Congrats on doing so well at the flute concert! That's wonderful! You're under tremendous stress right now, and you're doing much better than I would in your situation. And remember stress leads to exhaustion. Once your stress level goes down a bit, you'll have more energy and be more in a mood/mindset to exercise. I applaud you for doing so well. Hang in there, girlfriend.

A big to everyone. Sorry I was away. It was DMIL's last weekend here...she goes back to CA on Wednesday. So we tried to cram in a bunch of fun activities and didn't leave any time for the computer. We went to Germanfest on the shores of Lake Michigan and also saw the Air Show that was going on there. And yesterday, we went to the County Fair. I thought of you, Red, when I was admiring and petting the beautiful horses. As I said, I know something will come along for you that will not only be work you enjoy, but also with a salary so you can keep your lovely horse.

Here's where I'm at with the challenges. I took a pause on my journaling on Sunday. But I'm getting back on track now.

Journal and Stay within points - 2 pauses left - Day 12 completed.
Gym or walk at least 25 minutes - 2 pauses left - Day 12 completed.
50 ab exercises - 1 pause left - Day 11 completed.
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:29 AM   #201  
Never give up

Wink ah, shucks...

diyana, there you are! Good to have you back. I was wondering where you'd got off to.
I had forgotten your mother-in-law was with you. It sounds like you had a great time! "Petting beautiful horses!" Heh, it doesn't get any better!!
A Germanfest, what is that? Sounds fun. You know I lived in Munich for four years. German was my major in college and, believe it or not, just yesterday I got an email on classmates.com from a roommate I had 30 years ago there. I don't know how she found me. So, I have to brush off my very rusty German and carry on where we left off. She was my first roommate in student housing in a double room there and she talked a lot and had a great vocabulary so I really learned a lot. Anyhow, right, where was I?
Oh, yes, the county fair. I miss those. Used to go to them and enter baked goods and vegetables I'd grown. I don't think many exist anymore back East.
Your words of support and good wishes for my horse are so kind, so sweet. Thank you SO much. You and Shad have really been there for me today.
You're doing fine with your challenges. You're past the halfway mark!

Old 07-27-2009, 08:57 AM   #202  
Creating a Healthier Me

Red - I'm SOOOOO proud of you going to the gym! Don't discount it by saying you had to keep it short. Getting there at all with all you're going through is accomplishment! You rock!! Milwaukee is truly a multi-cultural city, so they celebrate the many cultures in the summer with festivals (practically every week). A week ago was Festa Italiana, this past weekend was Germanfest, and throughout the summer there is also Polish Fest, Irish Fest, Asian Moon Fest, Fiesta Mexicana, Indian Summer, African World Festival, Bastille Days. For the ethnic festivals, there are multiple bands and dance groups that come from all over the country and the world performing on several stages, traditional cuisine from that region, genealogy and cultural exhibits, etc. It's lots of fun! At Germanfest, which is like an Oktoberfest, there of course is beer, struedel, and classic German dishes prepared by Milwaukee's finest German restaurants and sausage haus.

The Air Show happened to be going on at the lakefront as well...so we got an excellent view while we enjoyed the festival!

I didn't know you lived in Munich. That's so cool. You are so well traveled. I've only been outside the U.S. a few times...twice to Canada, and once to Hong Kong back in the early 1980s when my dad was working there.

As for petting horses....it is wonderful. I pet a couple on their noses and they made it clear that where THEY wanted to be petted was by their ear. So I gave them a good scratching at their ear and jawline (probably some horse name for it, but I don't know it sorry). I love ALL animals. I always go up to people with dogs and ask to pet them. I pet horses and cows at the fair. And our County Fair has a petting zoo with goats, llamas, donkeys and sheep...so I give them all a good petting. As areas become more urbanized and city-fied, county fairs are getting more scarce. We used to live in Silicon Valley CA and it had a nice county fair. Now there aren't any animals....as there no more farms there. Luckily most of the counties in Wisconsin have at least some rural areas...so County Fairs are plentiful and jam packed with animals. And State Fair is in a couple weeks where the best of the best animals and exhibits will be on display! I love State Fair!

Okay...I've gone on long enough. Red, I'm glad I could make you smile. I'm here for ya', girlfriend. As are we all.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:59 PM   #203  
Never give up

Wink trying for another good day....

Early here and dragging myself up and out. I don't know how I do it but I do. At least for the few hours I had to sleep last night, I was more or less able to.
I don't know if cutting back on caffeine is helping me at all. I think at this point it is still causing more grief than not so it's very hard to feel good about it.
With so much when it comes to health, I guess you have to feel worse before you start really feeling better. Heck, if it were any other way, everyone would be doing it, no?

Getting to the gym yesterday was huge. I notice the extreme loss in muscle and overall conditioning. No wonder I feel so weak and lethargic. Thing is, I was trying and couldn't take the exercise. A lot I think is mental though. And an overall lack of rest. Oh well, for better or worse financially, I'm looking forward to the rest I hope I can get once I leave the office on Friday.

Being off alcohol is great, though I can feel the old habits arising when guys go out. Luckily, they haven't been inviting me so the temptation wasn't great. But parties this week will prove different. I hope I can remain determined. I don't even want to drink. It's just I do things that are expected of me.

diyana -- Thanks for that long and informative post. Milwaukee sounds like a great place, similar to where I'm from, Pittsburgh. You and I sound exactly the same when it comes to animals. I seek them out all the time and they me. You can see why I'm a vegatarian. Thanks again for your support, diyana!

Jazzy -- How was Day 1? Did you get off the ground successfully? I hope so!

Shad -- Thanks again for your support yesterday. I sure hope I feel better come Saturday.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:18 PM   #204  
Creating a Healthier Me

Red - Hang in there with the caffeine. You likely will feel worse before you feel better. Since you do occasionally still have tea, do you drink that in the evening at all? Or do you limit caffeine intake to the a.m.? I do feel your lack of sleep and lack of energy is partly due to the stress you've been under. Just do what you can and don't beat yourself up if you don't achieve perfection every day. This journey is all about persistence, not perfection. There is a wonderful line from a one year anniversary post by a woman on the 100 lb Club group. She said that while she did have the desire to give up or quit her weight loss journey from time to time, that desire was always less than her desire to succeed. As for your parties...it's wonderful how Diet 7-Up with a little lime can look like a Vodka Tonic. Or Diet Coke can look like a Rum & Coke. Perhaps those you are with don't even have to know that you're not drinking. As for animals...it's funny because I'll go up to a dog or a kitty and the owner will say...."oh he doesn't like people" or "she's really skiddish or shy", and yet they'll come right over to me and let me pet them or pick them up and hug them. My DH says I really have a way with animals, and I guess I do. If I were given the choice and if money were no object, I'd much rather work with animals than people, because animals are always authentic...they don't B.S. and they don't back-stab you. And they just aren't a**holes. Not that all people are...but sometimes they sure do show up from time to time in the workplace. Am I right or what?
Old 07-27-2009, 04:56 PM   #205  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Wow - we are getting philosophical on the thread today. I'd better add my 2d worth.
Stress releases adrenalin and the body goes into fight or flight mechanism in self defence. Adrenalin is what keeps us going when we should be settling into rest and recuperation. On the whole it is not a bad thing, however too much (as of anything) is not good for us and you, Red, have been fighting on all fronts for quite some time. You need at least a week if not a bit longer to regroup, recuperate, redress. Friday is only a couple of days away. It will come round when it is ready. I have to give it to you Red, I would find Japan had to take for a long period of time. I like the place but the cities are too much for me. You've withstood the pressure cooker of Tokyo for a long time. I wonder if there is anything outside of the big cities that you could do.

I could go on, but I have a job interview in town this morning at 10am. I need to get my own adrenaline running. And although I did achieve most of my challenges yesterday, I've decided to leave them until tomorrow again. I have enough on my plate today.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:22 AM   #206  
Creating a Healthier Me

Shad - I couldn't have said it better myself....so I'm very glad you did! I hope the interview went well. 2 months close to home would be SO good for you (and for Sunday)!

Red - I'm with Shad. I've never been to Japan, only to Hong Kong, but I do not like the hustle, bustle and stress of big cities. I worked in downtown Milwaukee when I first moved here and it was too busy for me. I don't even like to go to Chicago very often as I get stressed just visiting there. I'm glad I work in the 'burbs and live in the country. I also agree that you could use a little rest, recuperation and regroup. Take it easy on yourself, girlfriend. Let your body, mind and spirit regain its balance after the roller coaster you've been on.

Journal and Stay within points - 2 pauses left - Day 13 completed.
Gym or walk at least 25 minutes - 2 pauses left - Day 12 completed.
50 ab exercises - 0 pauses left - Day 11 completed.

Yesterday was tough...DH went to the doc about his back injury that happened at work. Then DMIL wanted to go to a place that has literally no healthy food for dinner. As we left the restaurant to go back home, there were tornado warnings to the north, so we were kind of on pins and needles waiting to see how close they were going to get. Luckily they stayed about 10 miles away. I'm hoping for a better (and calmer) night tonight.

I guess I'd better not take any more pauses on the ab workouts...I don't fancy the idea of starting over.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:49 PM   #207  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

My challenges are as follows (each are separate):
-Only eat 1200 calories --Day 13 (1 pauses left)
-NO fast food --Day 12 (NO pauses left)
-NO eating past 7pm--Day 15 (3 pauses left)
-Exercise Daily--Day 14 (2 pauses left)
-Drink 5 glasses of water or more--Day 15 (3 pauses left)

Back from my weekend! I just got the wii fit, and I am loving it!!! I especially like the hula hoop aerobic exercises!
Saramommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:45 PM   #208  
Never give up

Thumbs up clear!

Hey all. Thanks for the long posts! Great reading instead of just the challenge tallies.
I notched another day on all fronts. I thought I did pretty well but my weight stays the same and it is HIGH! Why can't it help me along in the beginning with a bit of downward movement? Huh? Why?!?!?!

The parties are coming up and people at work are saying I can be "persuaded" to drink. That ticks me off though because I'd rather they applauded my determination to quit. What do I expect? Other drinkers never want you to stop drinking. But, I'm really tired of marking every event with alcohol. And with me, binge drinker, it means a LOT of alcohol. Then I don't drink for a week or weeks and then bang, back again. I'm tired of it.

It's the same with sugar. If I do say I'll just have a little, I can do it for a while and then it snowballs or I binge. The only way with me is just to say, NO MORE! and be free of my tendency to overdo it. My body is highly sensitive to alcohol and sugar, maybe anything for that matter. Oh well, enough of this. The real pain in the A is the seeming inability to change my weight these days. I guess it's because I lost so much muscle. Oh well. Kicking on.

Good foods challenge -- Day 2 completed
No sugar! -- Day 2 completed
No alcohol -- Day 9 completed 1 pause taken
No smoking -- Day 10 completed 1 pause taken
Journal -- Day 11 completed
Caffeine Cut (Round 2!) -- Day 20 completed 0 pauses taken

I'm still OK on the reduction in caffeine. Forty-one days so far. I wish I saw improvement, as in FEELING BETTER but I don't. Ok, I guess the lows are less low but that's about it.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:52 PM   #209  
Never give up

Wink

diyana -- I've only reduced my caffeine intake, not eliminated caffeine. Perhaps I can aim for that one day, but getting up in the morning is extremely difficult (no doubt due to the caffeine dependency) and I need that kick still. I drink a small pot of coffee in the morning, usually around 5 a.m. I used to make it with two scoops of regular coffee (paper filter) but now I make it with one scoop regular and one scoop decaffeinated. Now I allow myself a strong mug of tea in the afternoon at my low point, around 2 p.m. I used to drink tall lattes or a big mug of strong coffee, often two mugs in the afternoon. So, it is quite a reduction for me. I suppose I am going to have to take it to another level soon.
The lack of sleep is due to my schedule and because of skin problems where the itching keeps me awake. The skin problems started with my job and I am hoping will end with it, or soon thereafter.
As for party drinks, there is always oolong tea here. It does have caffeine in it though so I can't be drinking that much anymore. I can get fruit juice or, better yet, tomato juice. I have never liked soda and have probably only had a total of 2 glasses (mixed with beer and cognac) in my life. That's one thing I never got hooked on. Great, eh?
Yes, animals are the best. I used to think I'd like to work with them but working with animals involves working with people as well, so it's really no different from my current work, which is done mostly on my own anyhow (writing, editing). I am the same as you when it comes to animals taking to me easily. Though, here in Japan, I find that even the animals are afraid because their usual environment, like the people, is so isolated.
Yes, Tokyo is huge. It's very similar to Hong Kong. Then again, I find Hong Kong much smaller and more contained. It may just be because I wasn't moving about during rush hour though.
Don't you hate that when a place doesn't have healthful food! It really ticks me off not even to be able to choose something good.
I'm glad the tornadoes didn't come your way. We even had one in Japan the other day. And the rainy season won't end. Strange weather all around.

Shad -- I don't think we were philosophical at all, really. Remember, I lived in Germany and now they get philosophical, at least the bunch of drinking student I hung out with. I remember when it first hit me, 20 years old, getting asked questions like why I was born and what was the purpose of my life? I'd never given it a thought. Was thrown for a loop. Nowadays, I'd just say, "**** if I know or care!" When people ask me what brought me to Japan, I have a tendency to answer "Korean Airlines!"
You're right on the adrenalin. I used to feel waves of it (or something) rushing through me when I'd get angry at work. It was really bad.
I don't think the cities bother me. My parents were New Yorkers and we'd go there a lot. I loved it. On the other hand, the trains can get to me when there are rude people on them and there very, very often are. Of course, maybe I don't even realize how much it bothers me. Then again, the alternative is not for me either. I find the country depressing unless I have something to do, something that really occupies me.
How'd the interview go do you think? Does the job sound interesting?

Sara -- I see you've taken another pause on fast food. But, you're still in the game! Come on, you can do this! Glad you're enjoying wii.

monkey, miriam, Paula, others? Where are you?

Last edited by redballoon; 07-29-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:48 AM   #210  
Creating a Healthier Me

Red - It's frustrating when the scale doesn't reward you for your efforts...but keep doing what you're doing and you'll see results. Especially once you get out of the stressful work situation and get to the gym more regularly to rebuild your stamina and muscle, and when you exercise, it helps you sleep...at least it does for me. Hopefully reducing your stress will fix your skin problems too. You're right...other drinkers don't want you to stop drinking. But you need to do what is right for you no matter how much they persuade. Have a nice glass of tomato juice, with a stalk of celery in it, and people will think you're drinking a Bloody Mary. It's so ironic that the more populated and crowded the city, the more isolated the people (and animals) are. That's something I really like about the whole state of Wisconsin. I noticed this the first time we came here for vacation. People pass you on the street and smile. Everyone greets you as a friend. I work at a company with about 4000 employees, and even though I know about 2% of them, I smile and greet them and they smile/greet me when we make eye contact. That's one of my favorite things about the Midwest. Those meaning of life questions would be stumpers in your early 20s, but now that I'm in my 40s, I'm with ya'. Don't know what my purpose is, but I'm enjoying it.

A big to Shad, Sara, monkey, Miriam, Paula and anyone I may have missed!

Journal and Stay within points - 2 pauses left - Day 14 completed.
Gym or walk at least 25 minutes - 2 pauses left - Day 13 completed.
50 ab exercises - 0 pauses left - Day 12 completed.