Old 06-07-2007, 12:17 AM   #121  

S/C/G: 117.7/63.7/60

Height: 168

I second that Lindor, where are you!??

Now, this is so stupid, but I went and had my first pap test today, at 32 yo. And I'm a nurse! Isn't that terrible? I've had one friend telling me to go for years but I was too chicken. All these ads on TV got to me, so I went and had it done - only took 5 mins! Of course it was a bit horrifying, but as the ad says, not as uncomfortable as cervical cancer! Also took my car to the panel beater, so had to walk home, and the ride to the docs. Will have to ride to training in the morning too - hope it's not pouring down like today!
pacman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:50 AM   #122  

S/C/G: 209/201.8/155

Height: 163cm

Vonni that's really interesting. I don't think we give careful enough thought to food as an addiction - and I'm very sure we don't educate ourselves well enough either.

After last week's effort of losing a kilo I have been slack this week. I know I've been a bit sick with a bug, but I have used it as an excuse not to walk, and to "comfort eat". Really let myself down!

Your comments about putting weight back on made me think. I know four people who have lost weight in the last couple of years and then put it back on. They changed a lot of things about their lives while they were losing weight, but went back to their old patterns once they reached their "goal".

To me that rings major alarm bells. It makes it really clear that if I am going to succeed with this I have to change my patterns while I am still losing weight. That doesn't mean depriving myself, but it means learning to eat my "treat" foods within my calorie allowance.

For example I eat chocolate regularly, but I buy 'fun size' packs, or small amounts - and each of them is around 70 calories. Easy to fit into my daily allowance.

I also LOVE potato chips - but there is no way I can buy a packet and just eat a handful. I have had to relegate them to the banned list. But when I feel like savoury munchies I buy snakatas and eat a small pack of them - again, around 70 calories.

It is my intention, as I go through this journey, to re-educate myself about living a more healthy lifestyle. I don't consider myself to be on a diet, but rather to be changing how I live my life.

I was a bit down on myself today, so I looked back in my journal to what I had written at the beginning of the year. Back then I was 95.6kg, and not feeling at all sure I was doing anything right.

The trouble with food is that we attach emotion to it. Rather than treating it like fuel for our bodies, we call it good food/bad food - we describe stuff as treats, comfort food etc. I think that unless we can understand our relationship with food we will have limited success with long-term weight loss.

I don't know - I'm rambling.

And I miss Lindor too
PerthChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:01 AM   #123  
Senior Member sounds old!

S/C/G: 104/ticker/74.5kg

Height: 174cm - I think

Hey Hey
I suck, didnt lose any weight this week... didnt put any on either so that makes it OK... JUST OK though......

Thanks heaps for the calorie thingy gen, bloody confusing but i think i get the picture stick to around 2000 calories so step one buy a calorie book.
so that is with moderate exercise and not everyday???
after todays weigh in i am thinking very seriously about joining weightwatchers for real.....

vonni - food being an addiction - hmmm - i always put it down to me A - having no will power and B - enjoying eating
my problem is i can eat no worries a lot of food when i am not in anyway hungry.... my husband is the total opposite, makes an interesting combination... he can and all the time does put half a packet of chips away, half a packet of m&ms away will even put less than half away, when to me i'd just finish the pack...... maybe if i think of my over eating as an addiction and a problem i will have more luck in actually stopping... at the moment i am just trying to change what i am eating i think rather than not eating when i am not hungry (i have been gettin heaps better at this one too) i so dont want to put on weight again... i have been there done that enough already and i am only 26....
life is too short to not enjoy it... my hubby and i have always lived by that... we keep things simply and enjoy eachother and now our baby, we go on picnics and we go on roadtrips and we cook together and dream together, we enjoy life and eachother so much that when it comes to special occasions we find it really hard to spoil eachother as we do so all year

a fitness related goal sounds really really good.... that way i'd be 'training' for a reason other than weight loss..... hmmmm...... am going to think about this one even more.... bridge to brisbane maybe......

exercise today, 20mins on cross trainer after i realised i sucked at weigh in and then walk around shopping town, not too bad......
smylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:38 AM   #124  

Kel, don't be too disappointed - maintaining and not gaining is a good result! If I go off my plan for even a day or two, I gain weight immediately. Boohoo. I don't think your number was 2000 exactly, it was whatever I posted at the end, 19-something?

I did do WW to get started (just online, no meetings) and lost 10kg in 12 weeks, then went to www.calorieking.com.au. If you're online, you don't need to buy a book - the database is online, so you can record food straight onto it (and it's free!!), or write food down and enter it once a day. It tells you how many calories to aim for exactly as well. I found it more helpful than WW, because instead of just points, CalorieKing gives you targets for nutrients like calcium, and macronutrients like protein, carbs, fat etc.

Just think i'm learning more about nutrition and how to fuel my body properly instead of counting points.

Then again, if you do "Core" plan on WW, or as it used to be called, "No Count", you don't even have to track points, just eat whatever you like off the list, which is quite handy (as long as you don't eat many processed foods).
Old 06-07-2007, 09:52 AM   #125  

By the way Ani, I'd like to see the Top Ten list of your keeping on track things!
Old 06-07-2007, 10:09 AM   #126  

S/C/G: 100kg/ticker/65kg

Height: 170cm

I'm too scared to use calorieking, Gen...I'm afraid it'll tell me what I've been eating lately!!
Elerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:19 PM   #127  

Haha - well I figure I've eaten the same, whether I record it or not! May as well write it down and minimise the damage.

I was SO annoyed this morning. A girl I used to work with was meant to meet me at training to try it out, as she was going to cover my training days while I was out of town. My car is getting fixed (and she knew this), so I had to ride my bike - got up and left home at 0530, rode in the POURING rain to training... only to find that a) My training buddies had reverted to the 'wet day' venue, which was not where I was and not possible to ride to and b) My work colleague had texted me to say "Oh, I'm not coming, sorry".

Man, was I pissed off! So I rode back home again. Then again, I've done my 620 calories for the day, even if I am soaking wet. And I was able to ride the whole way instead of walking up the big hill near my place for the first time.

God, I'm exhausted, and it's only 0719hrs.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:34 PM   #128  
It's ME!

God, what a morning Augigi!!

I'm so proud of myself, I ran for 10 minutes straight at the gym last night!! I've never done that before so I was really happy with that. There was a girl on the treadmill beside me who was probably about a size 16 or so and she was amazing - ran for 20 minutes straight and then jumped onto the elliptical trainer. I wanna be like her!

Unfortunately I went home and scoffed half a container of tangy fruit lollies

I have no self control with things like that, as the rest of you have said - once a packet gets opened, I have to eat the whole thing. For some reason I can't just have a couple.
LittleKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:20 PM   #129  
Am I a senior too?

S/C/G: 74/64.2/58

Height: 153cm

Gen well done on the bike ride. Maybe being pissed off was enough to keep you going up that hill. I won't say big hill because you have mastered it now its only a bump in the road

Kel bridge to brisbane sounds good. I've heard of it, the thing is, it sounds like the story bridge to brisbane city ----- um like 5 minutes . Naaa I know its a 12km run. Good luck with that. Who knows, I might get there and race ya. (next year)

Vonni
7senuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:29 PM   #130  

hehehe vonni its the GATEWAY bridge, i thought it was the story bridge too... the only time they let people on it without cars is the bridge to brisbane so i may just do it to say i've done it..... hmmmm and shock value for my dad, he always pushes my mum to do it, i think she needs the push so he would be impressed and shocked if i did it, there is a 4.5km option as well so we'll see

thanks again gen for the calorie stuff i'm going to check out calorie king
what a shocker of a morning you had..... and to think i was in bed for all of it..... just think if you had known she wasnt going to be there or where the wet option was you wouldnt have got your bike ride??

Last edited by smylie; 06-07-2007 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:44 PM   #131  

OK Gen and Kel, here you go. This is an article I wrote for an ongoing series called Confessions of a Fat Chick. I'm allowed to reproduce it here because I own the copyright

------

It has taken me several diets, years of failed attempts and a lot of frustration, but after 10 months and 17kg I have finally worked it out. How do you successfully lose weight? There is no secret, no magic pill – in fact it is simple. It's just not easy.

1. Educate yourself

There's no point making a vague statement that you want to lose weight. You need to know what you weigh, how much you want to lose - and then work out how many calories a day you're going to eat to achieve that. Burying your head in the sand will only result in your arse getting bigger, so find all the resources you can, invest in a calorie counter, and run amok.

Experiment a little, because the actual numbers will take a few weeks to work out - and give your body enough time to adjust.

It's stunning what you will learn about your body and its relationship with food if you just take the time to listen to it.

2. MOVE

Scary thought, but it's true that some form of exercise will really help weight loss. It tones up your muscles, burns calories, and makes you look and feel a lot better. You don't have to buy a gym membership, expensive equipment or trendy gizmos. A whip around the house with a vacuum cleaner and mop will burn as many calories as a walk - as will an hour in the garden.

But whatever you do, do it regularly. For me a walk everyday not only makes me feel better, but it's a daily reminder that my life is changing - and in a much more healthy way.

3. Throw out the fads and count your calories

Fads do not work. Neither do diets. The most successful and long-term way to lose weight is to count calories - ie to consume a little less than you use. It isn't rocket science - it's just hard to stick to because you WON'T lose 20kg in 3 weeks, but you WILL have to be willing to stick it out for the long haul. You may have to give the middle finger to Maccas and KFC, but that's OK. A few less dollars won't hurt corporate America.

Going too low on the calorie count won't help in the long run either. Never ever go less than 1200 calories a day - your metabolism will slow down, and your body will start to burn its lean body mass. Bad mistake! In fact, my plan is to eat as close to my 'maintenance' calories as I can while still losing weight.

Treat yourself. Weight loss isn't punishment for bad behaviour - it's you working on becoming the best you can be. In the process though, don't feel deprived. If you want chocolate - eat it. Just as long as it fits in with today's calorie count, it's all good.

PLAN YOUR MEALS. I find that if I work out in the morning what I am going to eat that day, and then kind of stick to it, I have a better chance of reaching my goals.

4. Set short-term goals

If you want to overwhelm yourself and set yourself up to fail, tell yourself you're going to lose 35kg - and then slap yourself around the head when you jump on the scales next week and you've only lost 100 grams. Best idea is to set small, achievable goals and work towards them. Me - I set myself a goal of losing 5kg and keeping it off. That's all I ever do! When I get there, I give myself a metaphorical pat on the back, and move on to the next 5kg.

Some people reward themselves with massages, pedicures, shopping treats etc - I reward myself by walking around in a body that is carrying five less kilos. YAY!

And don't just rely on the scales. Some people are so attached to the scale I am surprised they don't give themselves a nervous breakdown. They are a TOOL - one of many ways you can measure your progress. Just like a tape measure, or the fit of your clothes. Scales will give you a snapshot - but they can't tell whether the weight includes fluid, increasing muscle… or even if their battery is flat: and maybe it's the scale which is underperforming - not you!

5. Get in touch with your inner mongrel

In order to be successful over a long period of time you need to get in touch with your inner mongrel. It takes passion, obsession - a bit of weirdness even - to singlemindedly stick to something like burning kilos.

You need to draw on your stubborn, determined, even arrogant side in order to succeed with this journey. That doesn't mean you'll always be nice to be around, or even pleasant. You may bore your friends stupid with talk about kilos, calories, BMI and other crucially important things. You may even look down your nose at people who load their shopping trolleys with processed crap. That's all perfectly good and acceptable.

But you also need to be tough for a number of other reasons, because the biggest battle will be with your own mind. You got fat for a reason - much of which was emotional related, and you need to challenge your vulnerable self to let it go. Often an uncomfortable process - and those of us who turn to food to fill uncomfortable, sad, boring, lonely, scary and vulnerable moments… we know all this.

6. Nurture, pamper and please yourself

It's so important to look after yourself throughout this journey. Meditate, sing in the shower, find support - do whatever you need to help yourself feel good about what you're doing. Shamelessly fish for compliments, buy smaller clothes, join a support group, get a massage or an extreme makeover.

This is the new you - and even while you're going through the process of change, treat yourself as though you are that thin, sexy beautiful woman. Do a 'princess' on yourself - and go all out!

7. Prepare for the plateaus

They'll come. And they'll creep up when you're least expecting them. I've had a couple now, and I've renamed them "practising maintenance". As your body adjusts to the new you it will have a few moments where it shocks itself: "You're starving ME". Just play nice, be patient and usually the plateau will leave you. Sometimes it's an emotional block that will cause them to happen - and for many people this is a danger time. It's where we turn into drama queens, throw in the towel and give it all up! Don't do that - just chill, ride it out, and get on with losing some more kilos.

My longest plateau was nine very frustrating weeks. Hideous - but it passed. The first time I hit a plateau I threw out every single item of clothing that was too big, too loose - and just reminded myself it would not be attractive to put any of the weight back on and end up fat AND naked.

8. Practise maintenance

Don't forget that when we get to our goal weight we have to stay there. So it's a good idea to get it into your head NOW that every single day we are practising maintenance. Every food/drink/exercise decision we make has some result - start to change your whole mindset to embrace the new healthier, fitter, thinner YOU!

9. When the emotional blocks come - look them in the eye.

Ah - the dreaded emotional blocks. Yes, there are REASONS why we wrap ourselves in protective layers of fat. For me it's about safety, vulnerability, not wanting people to see who I really am - and unless we confront those issues and find a way to deal with them, our weight loss journey will become a roller coaster.

Whatever you need to do, do it. Talk, write, join an online support group - cry, scream, bash soft pillows… it doesn't matter, but don't be afraid to confront those emotional barriers. Every time I get 5kg off I challenge myself to let the next layer come off. I check in with myself that I'm feeling emotionally safe (or not), and work right through it.

10. Be bold, bolshie and bloody determined!

Yes, get obsessive. Make a chart that shows your weekly weigh-ins, stick it on your fridge, and point it out to everyone who visits. Not only does it help keep you accountable, but when you're having a bad day or two, you can have a look at it and see the progress you've really made.

Let everyone know you're losing weight, and frown sternly at anyone who suggests KFC for lunch.

Experiment with different food. Don't let it get boring, but give your tastebuds a treat. Throw out sauces, gravy, salad dressings and make your own. Try different things.

10-and-a-half!

Pretend you're a camel about to cross the Sahara and DRINK HEAPS OF WATER. Your body will lose weight much more efficiently if you are hydrated. Even in winter it's important to try and drink 2 litres of water a day.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:21 PM   #132  
Am I a senior too?

and maybe it's the scale which is underperforming - not you!

here here I like that Ani.

In fact I like the whole 10 points. Three cheers for Ani...... Hip hip - hip hip - hip hip........... Anyone gonna say hooray?

Kel I think the 4k walk would be easier. I know I know most of you probably going to say NOOOO aim for the biggy. But truth is, it's only 2 months away. 12km is a long way and to train for that in 8 weeks? Perhaps aim for that one for next year.

In fact, I might aim for that one next year too. Just to say I DID IT!!!!

We have a run here in my town its about 8km. Can't remember whaty its called. You know My other half has a friend who is into rockclimbing, cycling, pentathalons and the like. He is a fitness freak. He often rides 60km from his town to ours then back again ---- "Just because!" He can even rattle off lung capacity resting and at different levels of activity. I've tried to get him to take me rockclimbing but he says no. He is very advanced and I'd probably just slow him down His brother is willing to take a beginner so maybe I should. Will let you know.

Going to eat some chocolate now.

Vonni
Old 06-08-2007, 07:58 AM   #133  

Hey Hey
Ani - that top ten is awesome.... love number 7, need number 7, plataeuing is where i sometimes fall off the wagon, practising maintenance is going to help me heaps.

Gen - Calorieking is awesome too (EVERYTHING IS AWESOME) (hehehe) I think it is going to help me heaps.... today i GUILT FREE ate m&ms coz i knew i had enough calories left to have them and also an extra taco than i would usually let myself..... i think maybe it does overestimate the calories a little as the yoga i did today looked like it used more calories than i really think it did, i think of exercise as bonus calories that i should use.... but i think i used at least 33 of them today... shock horror kel's abusing the diet already.....
making M&Ms part of my day will work as with milo and cookies, if i know how many i am 'allowed' to have and that is it i can do it.....

exercise for me today - yoga for mummies (jemima still screamed then slept through her baby yoga... loser baby doesnt want to do yoga.... well i got news for princess she IS going to do yoga....) and then i went for an at least 40min walk with my dogs and neighbour, will try for walk with hubby tomorrow and next couple of days.... weekend is where i slack off exercise and everything...

we go view our pixie photos tomorrow we got some of jemima and some of the 'family' it maybe be my official 'before' photo.... as i think it is kinda cheating to use the photo of me just before i left for hospital to have Jemima....
took some cute photos of her and me today, i may put it on my baby ticker or profile or something

have an awesome long weekend......... i'm going to go get the bridge to brisbane stuff and ponder on it for a day or two and then see if my mum is doing it..... LOVE long weekends... this one even moreso as i thought last weekend was.

what do you guys do for a 'living'?? I like to hear what people do these days, as i am now "just" a mum.....
Old 06-08-2007, 08:39 AM   #134  
Am I a senior too?

"Just a mum" is a bigger job than all paid jobs Kel. Don't underestimate it or underestimate your worth.

Mums are miracles

Vonni
Old 06-08-2007, 08:10 PM   #135  

Kel, I agree with Vonni - 'just a mum' is the most important and undervalued job in the world.

What do I do for a living? I'm a journalist/writer - and it's fun. For those of you who are into BB, you may be interested to know I'm interviewing Emma next week (assuming she's evicted tomorrow, which is pretty likely).

I'm back on track after three days of self-sabotage. According to my scales I have gained a little bit since Monday, but it's my own fault - and the only way to deal with that is to get right back on plan and keep going forward.

Today I have to go to the city (been putting it off for nearly two weeks), and then have a deadline, so I'll have to settle down and spend the afternoon writing… as well as all day tomorrow.

But I'm going to try and squeeze a walk or two into the weekend, and hope to not do any further damage to this week's plan!

Ani