Old 02-06-2007, 10:25 PM   #31  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Ladies and others:

We have Tropical Cyclone Nelson bearing down on us from the north. It may come to nothing, but the general consensus seems to be that if it continues on it's winning way we will be inundated again from tomorrow onwards.
Should this happen, you will understand why you don't hear from me for probably the best part of 3 or 4 days. We may well be without power, without roads and minus the odd building or two. If it blows out to sea as it well might do, I'll be back on air tomorrow. In the meantime, those of us who were going home tomorrow have been reticketed onto today's flights and are leaving in a steady stream. I'm not one of them and I will be here at Fawlty Towers and doing my best to stay out of trouble and not go stark raving bonkers.

I'll be back whenever. Have fun.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:28 PM   #32  
Smackin' into a Wall

Froze my butt off trying to walk home today. I ended up having to grab the streetcar. I think I may have lost feeling in my cheeks. It’s not even the cold, it’ the -23 C wind chill. I was supposed to go back out to see some friends I just couldn’t face it, so I called and cancelled. Even though I would have driven it just seemed too much effort. I’ve spent the night rummaging around in bills to try to get my business papers in order for the accountant. I have everything but the dread expenses done.

Holly~ Hope you get some good rest. You have earned some zzzzs, you hard working woman you.

Mel~ Oh a book, a pillow and a sunny window does should good. We would take the cold back if we could – even if we don’t want it. Can you sing songs for all sorts of mundane occasions for us? That would be cool!~

Shad~ Your coworker sold how many Christmas cakes??? Are we talking fruitcakes? That is one impressive feat. We also have a Taj Mahal Indian Restaurant here (at least one)… almost like every town must have a Golden Bamboo Chinese restaurant. Sorry your roosters are being so unruly. Ah to be young and so easily distracted!

Ceejay~ I’ve noticed it is getting lighter at night too. I’ve been leaving work in daylight!

Happy~ Happy B-day to your sweet DH. Are you taking him anywhere to celebrate? Hope the dentist goes well (and by well I mean not too pointy and sharp). Omigawd I love those penguins!!

Rosebush~ Your poor fishies! Glad they survived the catastrophic climate change. Mel is probably right – you have postponed “the talk”. Hey maybe you should just get it out in the open. There is nothing wrong with being honest and saying “I enjoy your company but I just need some down time to recharge, nothing personal” – hmmm, of course this is a man’s ego we are talking about.

Suzi~ I think I missed the new job post too. What does this entail?

Carla~ You and Happy crack me up!!! 100% virgin wool? That seems a bit sheepy! I have always liked the 99.4% pure Dove soap claim. What is that other .6%?

K, I better post this and get to bed. Tired now… And yet another long day doing nothing on the goofiest project ever. I’ll be pleased when my team lead actually leaves once and for all and we can get some real work done. I won’t rant about this at the moment for now.
Madcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:29 PM   #33  
Smackin' into a Wall

Shad!!! Hang in there. Stock up on candles and good books and tins of healthy food. Let us know when it blows past.
Madcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:57 AM   #34  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Shad - be safe I certainly hope that building is sturdy. Appreciate you giving us a heads up because we would worry about you.

Will be back to catch up in the morning. Off to bed for me now. Night all, pleasant dreams.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:35 AM   #35  

Take care Shad! Too bad this isn't one of your weekends away - it sounds like you'd be home already with an extra day or two off? As for the cake, much as I like fruit cake, I don't think I'd pay $10 for one that had been sitting around since 1994.

Mel, it sounds like you think the Falklands are nice and toasty and bathed in gentle tropical breezes. I'd like to think you're right, but I have a feeling the winds there are a little on the bracing side. I picture them as something similar to what we get in Newfoundland. Winter woolies in the suitcase for this chick!

Today's rant: it's past 3 am Ontario time, and I'm just winding down to go to sleep after a long flight out here to Victoria. Ridiculous that the total trip took 10 hours (yes, 10 hours) door-to-door. Of that, 45 minutes in the security lineup, 7 hours sitting wedged into a tiny seat (memo to self: Must lose weight!!!) on two fully-booked planes, 45 minutes to and from the airports, 30 minutes to register at the hotel,and the rest lining up to board or deplane. And I don't get paid for the time. And several of the participants at the conf I'll be working at were up in Business class in big seats, with actual food and drink! The pendulum swings more towards retirement, I think. Who needs this nonsense! I could have gotten to Paris faster. And what about the cute old couple right in front of me on arrival, taking a hat out of the overhead bin, putting it on, getting the scarf, putting it on, gett ing one bag, two bags, three bags, getting the coats and putting them on, all the while the rest of the passengers waiting less and less patiently. Finally, they start to move up the narrow aisle, stop to thank the crew for such a smooth flight, and then totter side-by-side along the narrow passageway while the rest of us narrowly escape turning into a 50 passenger pile-up. It took so long the luggage actually had arrived on the carousel before we got to it!

And now to bed - up to work bright and early tomorrow.

Oh - by the way, to those of you freezing back east, there was a gentle drizzle and lovely warm air waiting for us here. I'll try to send some more temperate weather back your way.
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:41 AM   #36  
Choose your hard

Hi there,

Just checked the weather in the Falklands. 10 to 13C, 51 to 56F windy with a light rain. Perhaps we need to move to Brisbane where it's warm and dry.

Shad, hope things are going well for you. Hunker down, stay dry and avoid flying objects. I do hope you don't have to go to work in a hurricane. May it blow over quickly.

Carla - what a dreadful travel experience. It's the main reason I will never take a position where I have to travel all the time. And it takes a while to wind down from those aggrivating trips so I'm sure you didnt' get much rest before you had to show up today all perky and acting like you're interested. I second you on the retirement bit

Madcat - the goofiest project EVER? Do tell as you've had some doozers if I remember correctly. I know the feeling - all of you - just get away and let me work.

Stay warm Holly.

What are you reading Mel? Hope you have a nice cuddly blanket to keep you warm.

Ceejay - I noticed it staying lighter longer too. It's good for driving - I don't like night driving much and now I noticed I have to go change the timers on the lamps to turn on an hour later than they do now. Though daylight savings time is changing this year - starts earlier and ends a week AFTER Halloween which I am happy about. Always seemed silly to me to change the time so that it was dark one hour earlier for the trick or treaters.

DH had a nice birthday I suppose. I made him a nice dinner of a steak and special potatoes with a salad. He was playing in his pool league last night so while he was gone I baked him a batch of brownies for his birthday "cake". I sang to him and when he blew out the candles he blew wax on part of the brownies. I had one tiny square and that was enough for me.

I do have 2 cavaties and a cracked tooth they will be monitoring. One of the cavaties was on an upper tooth and though the hygenist was careful, she did hit a particularly sensitive spot a couple of times which made my legs jump up in the chair I can handle the discomfort of the scraping easily enough but the nerve pain - yowza. Worst part is after they get you once, you just sit there with a death grip waiting for it to happen again. Stupid teeth.

Geez, I better jump in the shower. It's later than I thought. Have a good one ladies...
Old 02-07-2007, 09:29 AM   #37  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

OMG!!!! JUST WHEN I WAS GOING TO TELL ABOUT MY BAD DAY I READ SHAD'S DILEMMA. HOPE YOU STAY WELL AWAY FROM HARMS WAY. SENDING SAFETY VIBES.
WHAT IS GOING ON WITH MOTHER NATURE
WE SHOULD SEND YOU A CASE OR TWO OF DUCT TAPE FOR FAWLTY TOWERS!!!
LOTS OF TOO.

CEEJAY~ YOUR AVATAR LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE GOING HOME ON A DAY WITH LONGER LASTING SUN!! I NOTICED YESTERDAY AFTERNOON THAT THE SUN IS MOVING BECAUSE IT HITS A TINY CORNER OF MY LIVING ROOM WHEN SPRING GETS CLOSER.

MADCAT~I COULD FEEL YOUR COLD FACE!!! I WOULD HAVE CANCELLED ALSO. YES IT IS THE WINDS FAULT!!
STAY WARM AND USE THE OLE TROLLEY!!
THE GOOFIEST PROJECT EVER CAN'T WAIT FOR THE RANT!!! HANG IN THERE AND BON VOYAGE TO THE LEADER!!

HAPPY~ WHAT WERE YOU DOING UP SO LATE AND ON THE PC?????? HOW CAN YOU GO TO WORK, PAY TAXES AND SUPPORT ME IF YOU'RE TIRED???? IS WW STILL IN YOUR OFFICE? I WAS SUGGESTING IT TO THE OFFICE DOWNSTAIRS BUT NO ONE WAS INTERESTED
DENTIST & PAIN WAXY BROWNIES??

CARLA~OMG YOUR TRAVEL STORY WAS TOO MUCH!! DID YOU FINALLY GO TO SLEEP?? THE OLDIES IN FRONT OF YOU REMINDED ME OF WHEN A SENIOR TELLS ME TO FOLLOW THEM IN MY HIGH SPEED CHAIR AND THEY ARE USING A WALKER!!! I CREEP ALONG BEHIND THEM AND THINK EVIL THOUGHTS HOPE THE TRIP IS SUCCESSFUL!! GOOD LUCK!! MAKES ME GLAD I DON'T TRAVEL ANYMORE!! PLEASE DON'T BURST MY BUBBLE ABOUT THE FALKLANDS....I AM THINKING JAMAICAN THOUGHTS OVER HER OR BECOMING A BAHAMA MAMA!!

HOLLY~ 40+ HOURS IS PARTTIME???? GET SOME SLEEP LADY!! SECOND WINDS ARE NICE BUT ONLY IF YOU HAVEN'T ABUSED THE FIRST ONE!!

YESTERDAY SUCKED BIG TIME. MY ARTS & CRAFTS CLASS HAS BEEN POSTPONED SO IT CAN BE CORRELATED WITH A NEW "UPTOWN" PROGRAM. IT INVOLVES WORKING WITH MY DD'S EX BOSS AND SHE REFUSES TO CALL ME DIRECT. WE HAVE A MIDDLELADY TO GO THRU. SO I CALLED HER AND WAS VERY DIRECT!!! SHE OF COURSE HUNG UP THE PHONE LIKE ALL GROWN-UPS SHOULD DO WHEN CONFRONTED WITH THE TRUTH. NOW SHE INVOLVED MY FRIEND THE POLITICO. JESUS....CAN'T ANYONE FIGHT THEIR OWN BWTTLES ANYMORE?
HE OF COURSE CALLED THE MIDLELADY AND ACCUSED HER OF ANGERING ME. MEN SHOULD KNOW BETTER THAN TO GET INBETWEEN 2 WOMEN WHILE THEY ARGUE. SOMEHOW HE IS THIN KING I AM MAD AT HIM AND HURT. HE IS PROFESSING HIS INNOCENCE NOW. THIS IS LIKE A BRITISH COMEDY BUT THE SILLINESS OF IT ALL IS LOST ON EVERYONE BUT ME.
I AM ONLY UPSET WITH THE INTERFERENCE IN MY CLASSES. GUESS I WILL HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL SEASON 2 BEGINS FOR THE OUTCOME. WHY IS MY YEAR GOING THIS WAY? FOOK THE YEAR OF THE PIGS!!! THE DIRECTOR IS SUPPOSED TO BE HERE TODAY. MAYBE WE CAN GET AT LEAST ONE THING SETTLED.
I BETTER GET OUT OF HERE BECAUSE I FEEL HEART PALPITATIONS STARTING AND A MOTHER OF A SIZE RANT COMING ON. GUESS I AM MORE UPSET THAN I THOUGHT!!!
HAPPY WED/THURS. STAY SAFE OUR SHADDIE
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:20 PM   #38  
Radiate self!

Default Good vibes...

Sending the protective white light to Shad I hope it blew out to sea, hunker down. If Mother nature is riled, she is going to do damage

Mel-There is something going on, you should have worked for the United Nations or as a peace negotiator. You keep repeating the lesson until you have learned from it. Getting better at it aren't you? Not again! I think you are meant to laugh, how could things get so complicated in such a short time? This former boss of DD must be a real pill I'm sorry you have another nutter to deal with. What is the craft project? How to make a bridge? Why the networking aspect? Do the residents know how you fight for their fun? I am reading the Marlo Thomas book "In their own words" by regular people and the lessons they have learned. Most of the stories are only three or four pages long, but they are powerful and will make you cry or tug at your heart. Just a suggestion to get lost in someone else's trouble. Will help you let go of the tension that keeps cropping up in your own life.

Carla-Are you going to drop in at Roger's chocolates to have a sigh and a whiff of all those lovely Victoria creams? I delight in that store whenever I go to the provincial capital That used to be what we got in our stockings at Christmas, a victoria cream :slurp: Is it raining? It always rains when I'm there Buy an umbrella with bumble bees or something spring like on it to make you smile It is a long journey from East to West isn't it? At least you were headed to a great place

Happy-yikes on the dentist! Makes me think I should take the kids, they are just getting some of their big ones coming in. Cavities can sneak in anytime and boom! I could picture the legs coming up. I have a middle finger that sneaks up involuntarily when they hit a sensitive area in my mouth Your husband must have been smiley hugely at your efforts for his Birthday Well done! How much water have you drunk? Hydrate yourself!

Madcat-goofy project? Do you wear a clown nose and everyone makes faces to crack each other up? Not my kind of goofy? Sounded like you are frustrated and a bit tense. Breathe. It seems to be something you can't control, like the weather Stay out of the wind and cuddle up with your cutie.

Holly-How are your muscles feeling after all that labour? Glad you got to have a soak and a relax afterwards. I don't envy you doing hair and having to lift your arms up for hours after that. More power to you!

Ceejay-was today busier? Did the time go faster? It is nice to see the daylight last. I saw the full moon rise over the mountain last week, bright and full. Beautiful

Rose-glad the top was a suitable distraction, good strategy Good to hear your fish survived the heater fiascos. Hardy little mites

My sisters left yesterday :sniff: Nothing like having them here, we think the same, like the same shows, finish each other's sentences. My daughter's birthday was actually on the 5th but we celebrated on the Sunday because she had school on Monday and I wanted her to be in Birthday mode all day

You've got to accentuate the positive Eliminate the negative
Latch on to the affirmative
Don't mess with Mister In-Between

You've got to spread joy up to the maximum
Bring gloom down to the minimum
Have faith or pandemonium
Liable to walk upon the scene

(To illustrate his last remark Jonah in the whale,
Noah in the ark
What did they do
Just when everything looked so dark)

Man, they said we better Accentuate the positive
Eliminate the negative
Latch on to the affirmative
Don't mess with Mister In-Between
No, do not mess with Mister In-Between
Do you hear me, hmm?

Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:37 PM   #39  
Radiate self!

I know the saying is "Smile and the world smiles with you" but I prefer to include the laugh because a good laugh beats a smile. Endorphine rush anyone?
Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:55 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Meadow--I'm eliminating the negative right now. Now I'm singing,oh my, any one have ea plugs!

Mel--Ahh -- I'll come and do arts and crafts with you.

Madcat--Stay warm. That's tooooo cold for me.

Happy- I do the same thing at the Dentist. I don't like the any part of going to the dentist.

I've had one rant in my journal involving bottled water so my second rant will be about L, you know the co-worker. She started pushing my buttons night before last trying her best to make herself look good and trying to dig out more information from me so that she can run and tell the boss of all her goodness. This morning she had her panties in a wad. I'm not putting up with her mess this year.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:28 PM   #41  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Morning all,
Well Nelson fell about in small circles and dumped rain up in the hinterland and the cyclone forming off the coast is still making up it's mind. Gotta love Mother Nature. According to the National News on 7 this morning, we have gale force winds and heavy rain - and while I'm not saying this won't happen - it ain't here yet. In fact I looked out the window and wondered if we had been transported somewhere else. No wind, and no rain. At least not inside. I have water dripping from the air intake for the air conditioning this morning.
Gotta go. Be back later.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:49 PM   #42  

((Shad))) be safe. Hoping it dwindles to nothing.
It warmed up to a tropical -10 C today!!!!
A little tuckered out.
Bowing in awe to work away from home women!!!! Yowza. I have fulltime payroll( organizing and hair) Tues-Sat this week and then Mon - Fri next week as well as run the Avon biz and organize the church pancake supper to feed about 150 people.
Focussing on the upside. I will be earning 3X’s the money I would have for the same hours home daycare and hubby is definitely helping more here. BUT I am still getting ALL of the meals, groceries, laundry......do all the thinking ,planning.....
Upside..it is getting easier and I am not anxious when away from home now. In fact I look forward to it. Both payroll jobs rock!!! and I rock at them!!!! I rock at the jobs I do for no income too!!! Laughing Like being a wife and mom and domestic goddess.

To Do Tonight Yet
do 3 loads wash
Pack Avon, 1 went to to rink
prep brochures
clean K after supper
scoop poop
feed critters
run DW
make some calls

Breakfast meeting tomorrow from 8-9:30am. Home from 10-11:30am. Hair shop from 12-7pm. Book Club 7:15-8:30pm. Home to kiss my babies.
Hollyhock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:23 AM   #43  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

SHAD I WAS WATCHING THE TV FOR GLOBAL WEATHER AND HEARD MUCH THE SAME THING. THAT THIS STORM WAS HANGING ON THE COASTAL AREA. STILL SENDING AND HOPES THAT YOU WILL BE SAFE AND KEPT FAR AWAY FROM IT.

MEADOW~ IT IS THE SAME OLD LESSON. I AM THINKING I ALMOST HAVE IT RIGHT. I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN AN
A+ IF I HADN'T PICKED UP THE PHONE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! THANKS FOR THE GOOD THOUGHTS AND GRAPHICS. I AM SINGING ALONG WITH CEEJAY.....BEST GET A LOT OF EARPLUGS! SO NICE THAT YOUR FAMILY HAS A GREAT CONNECTION. IMPORTANT IN THIS CRAZY MIXED UP WORLD.

CEEJAY~ LET'S SING SONGS RATHER THAN LET THOSE IDIOT WOMEN IN OUR LIVES GET THE BEST OF US!!! IF WE DIDN'T REACT AT ALL I BET IT WOULD REALLY PISS THEM OFF!

HOLLY~ YOUR DAYS SOUND LIKE MINE DID. SENDING VIBES FOR STRENGTH YOUR WAY. HANG IN THERE.

WHERE IS MISS HAPPY? SITTING AND TYPING AND READY TO POUNCE ON ME?

WELL AFTER FEELING SICKISH YESTERDAY I DID LEARN FROM MY OWN ERRORS. I NEED TO THINK A WEE BIT LONGER BEFORE I REACT. ALTHOUGH I DID A LOT BETTER....IT'S NOT ENOUGH YET. CLOSE BUT NO CIGAR!! SOME EXERCISE TODAY, PEACE AND QUIET AND CLEANING!!!BTW...SINCE I GAVE UP THE COFFEE FRAPPUCHINOS COMPLETELY, THE FACE IS IMPROVING. A;BEIT SLOWLY BUT A DEFINITE MOVE IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. CAN THE EYE BE FAR BEHIND? I THINK NOT. JUST HAVE TO WATCH THE USAGE OF MY EYES. I HAVE A TENDANCY TO THINK I CAN READ FOR 5 HOURS OR PLAY GAMES FOR 8 HRS! LITTLE GRASSHOPPER, MODERATION IS THE KEY TO ALL THINGS PEACEFUL!
SUPPOSED TO BE WARMER TOMORROW SO I MAY GO FOOD SHOPPING. THE NS FOOD ARRIVED YESTERDAY SO I AM ALL SET.

HAPPY THURSDAY!
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:28 AM   #44  
Choose your hard

Hey all,

Feeling kinda cruddy today. Everything hurts - head, joints and the chest feels a bit stuffy. Is probably due to the weather - we're back in the cold again. I'm just glad it's close to the weekend. We're supposed to go to a seminar tonight, right now that's sounding like the LAST thing I want to do but DH will make me go.

We bought/ordered a painting last week. We stopped to pick up my glasses and there is a Thomas Kinkade store right across the aisle in the mall. We always look in there whenever we're in the mall - I have several of his pieces. Apparently Elvis Presley Enterprises has commissioned him to do a portrait of Graceland (Elvis' home) as part of the commemoration festivities to celebrate the 50 year ( ) anniversary of Elvis purchasing Graceland in March of 1957. He did a rough mock last September which is to be used for the base of the painting. All we saw was a rough pencil sketch. They are only making a limited number of pieces and Memphis gets first dibs before the other galleries because Memphis commissioned the painting. I told DH we should order a painting - as an investment. I have never done this before. We have 3 of his paintings - all of which I bought simply because we liked them. One of them is worth 4 times what we paid for it. If I had bought the first painting of his that I loved that one would have been worth 8 times what it originally sold for. I would not consider selling the 3 paintings I have because I really like them but... I can see where this Graceland one might be worth investing it as there is such a huge Elvis fan base all over the country/world. Plus there is going to be a ceremony at the Gibson Guitar Factory here where Thomas will hand sign every painting. And supposedly this is going to be the first in a series of "Great American Homes" that he will be doing. First in a series is always good to have.

DH said we have spent enough money so back to watching the pennies again.

Welcome to our world Holly. So much harder to get the house things done when you're gone away from the house all day long. And no matter how hard we wish, the magic house cleaning fairies never show up

Shad, good to hear that the cyclone decided to drift away from you. I'm sure you'll still have to contend with driving rains. Stay warm and dry. Holy cow, that was an incredible amount of cakes your co-worker sold in your post the other day. Did he strong arm everyone and force them to buy one? Buy a cake or I'll poke you in the eye

Ceejay, if enough of us get together and sing, the group thing drowns out the individual bad voices. Try not to let the annoying co-worker get under your skin. Some people just exist to be a hassle to the rest of us. They aren't worth the extra attention they crave.

Hello Meadow - sounds like you had a nice visit with your sisters. Sounds like you didn't want it to end too. Do they live far from you?

Mel, I have a LOT of experience going to work tired and dragging or working long hours (28 hours straight is my record) so don't worry. No matter what I will be there to support you I hope all works out with the director. Sorry to hear there is the ever present drama in the building. Wouldn't it be nice to just have one entire month of peacefulness and sharing? In our dreams, right? Don't let it get to you. I made some nice chicken cutlets with a sauce of orange juice, honey and amaretto last night. Saved 2 of them for you. Come on over and we can have lunch.

Ok, time for me to post and get busy trying to decipher just how one of my business people got the numbers that they did when the database shows otherwise. Going to be one of those intense days
Old 02-08-2007, 03:35 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Enjoying my day off from L. I'm going to take some advice and only alk to her about how her shift ran the night before. I thinki T. is begining to see the light.

Mel--I'm all for singing songs. I've decided that L. is a thorn in my flesh and she's being plucked. I don't have to tolerate her at all.

Happy--Get some rest. I didn't know that Thomas Kincaid had a studio in Memphis. I may have to drive there just to view. I love his artwork. Are you up to some more wintery mix this week end? I almost have to laugh, cause mother nature has been teasing us.

Holly--Any working woman rocks that has three different jobs such as yourself. Being a mom is full time just by itself. Don't over do it.

Shad--I hope things don't get to bad. The a.c. probably has humidity. Check the freon. If the hose has frost call the repair person.

Hello to Meadow and Madcat.

Madcat hope you have thawed. Stay warm.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote