Old 03-02-2007, 09:07 AM   #181  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Morning chicks,

Lots of chatting going on that I missed yesterday.

I was preoccupied with work which has been overly demanding lately and a scary moment with the mom on Wednesday.

She noticed a strange car parked out in front of the house in the early afternoon. Since her wierd neighbors seem to rotate through a steady stream of "new" cars every few months (always with TEMPORARY license plate/tags) she just chalked it up to them. Then the back doorbell rang. There was a somewhat scruffy man at the back door (should have been clue number 1). She keeps the screen/storm door locked all the time but opened the back door to talk to him. He's got a walkie talkie that he's talking into and tells her that he was doing some work in the alley and hit a pole by her garage. He wants her to come outside and check the damage. She's sharp enough to tell him that it's a utility pole that belongs to the city and she could care less about it. He persists and she tells him to call the city. I don't know why but for some reason she unlocks the storm door and is talking to him though the partially opened door. He asks if he can come in to use the phone. (scary clue number 2). She thinks quickly (she lives alone) and says no, my nephew lives with me, is a Chicago policeman and is sleeping as he just got home and off his shift. (Her nephew IS a policeman, he just happens to live 5 miles away in another house WITH his wife ) The guy tells my mom to call him downstairs so that he can fill out an accident report. She says no, I TOLD you he is sleeping, now get out of here. At this point he yanks open the door, pushes her and tries to enter the house. The door is at the base of a set of stairs so she has some leverage to push him and the door closed all the while yelling "Joe, Joe, come down here fast and BRING YOUR GUN - there's a man trying to come into the house". She was screaming at the top of her lungs and after a struggle, the guy took off running. She called the emergency number and the police were there within 10 minutes but by then the guys (there were 2 of them) were long gone. The police told her that they were gypsies who have been crusing the neighborhood, preying on the elderly. He said they talk fast, try to either gain the sympathy or confuse their victims and then gain entry to the house and rob them. This guy was on a walkie talkie with his partner. If he had persuaded my mom to walk out to the alley, the partner would have slipped into the back door, gone though her stuff while the other guy kept her distracted and then slipped out the front door loading up the car out front. Since that ruse didn't work, the other option was to push their way in, slap the person around enough to scare them into sitting still while one intimated the victim and got them to tell them where the valuables as they robbed the house. Obviously the police told my mom to NEVER open the door to strangers. My mom agreed. Said she's not even sure why she did as she is normally very cautious. It's easy enough to understand how they can be fast talking devils to confuse them. My sister and I were freaking out. We worry enough about her living alone, this just adds another reason to fret. What is going on with this world? There seems to be so much crime and the criminals are getting bolder.

Painter - I rotate my breakfasts depending on whether I have time to fix something on the weekends - poached or scrambled egg with veggies and toast. During the work week, I tend to go for "on the run" foods like a smoothie with fresh fruit, yogurt and protein powder; yogurt, almonds and some fresh fruit on the side ala McD's version; I like the Fiber1 bars; and I'll cook up some steel cut oats while I'm getting ready and then have a bowl with chopped walnuts and some fruit - blueberries, strawberries, banana, diced peaches and cinnamon or applesauce mixed in with a sprinkle of cinnamon. I also like the South Beach (Kraft brand) breakfast wraps which are scrambled eggs with either meat or chopped veggies wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla shell. I do admit to not eating breakfast every day as I should - many times it's just 2 coffees in the morning. And on those rare occasions when I have sugared cereal or a muffin in the morning - I'm ravenous in 2 hours so I try to make breakfast protein based.

Oohhh I remember that vintage rhinestone jewelry. Used in the right way, it can be a fabulous look.

Hugs Holly!

Carla - I know the flatware that you are talking about. I thought it was pretty too until I saw the price tag.

Shad, glad you made the breakfast suggestions, now I know what to have on hand though I must warn you as you well know everything is overly sweet for your tastes here. And our yoghurt is on the runny side. There will be a carton of plain in the refrigerator - just for you. We will have to do breakfasts on the patio. It's nice sitting there with a cup of coffee, watching the birds at the feeders. The hummingbirds will be around too. What are the plans for your weekend?

Meadow - good going on the exercise! Lunch sounds yum too. I agree with the eating the same breakfast and lunch thing in the sense that it keeps you from straying and is easier to track. I do like variety tho. Perhaps a different fruit in the smoothie each day We did get stormed on yesterday but luckily the really bad weather went east of us. I got to work yesterday and all the close by the door spots were taken in the underground parking - no surprise - but as I was about to drive by, a man got in his car and pulled out - right by the door! What a very pleasant surprise. I said to myself, no matter HOW bad the day gets later, I will go back to this moment in time when I was deliriously happy for 2 minutes Actually if you knew how much stuff I trucked in with me to work (laptop, lunch bag, purse, briefcase/tote) you'd understand why I'm so delighted to get a close up parking spot. And I'm sure since I got to park underground that's the very reason why it didn't hail yesterday

Ceejay - how was it up your way? I'll cheer up if you will

Madcat, I'll meet you at Tim Horton's. You don't even have to buy. I'll go there based just on reputation. One more day to go and then we can revel in the weekend.

How are you doing Mel? Did you catch part of the sleety/snowy mess that was headed east? Rain and tornadoes down south, wet snow and sleet up north. Spring will be here soon. Some of our trees are already in bloom. I have to say this town is breathtaking in the spring. The noses don't like the pollen but for the eyes, it's a feast everywhere you look.

Ok, I guess I've written enough for today. Have a good one everybody.

Last edited by happy2bme; 03-02-2007 at 09:48 PM.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:00 AM   #182  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

I WILL HAVE TO TRY AND CATCH UP TOMORROW. I SEE YOU GALS HAVE BEEN BUSY. SOME DRAMAS ARE CONTINUING.....ARTS & CRAFTS ETC
SO I HAVE JUST DECIDED TO GO WITH THE FLOW AND SAY YES YO EVERYONE, GIVE THEM "HUGS" AND NOT FIGHT IT! TODAY I AM HAVING LUNCH WITH MY FRIEND AND SOME OFFICE STAFF. I WANTED IT NEXT WEEK BUT THEY WANT IT TODAY. THEY WON
JUST POPPED IN TO SAY A QUICK HELLO. WILL CHAT LATER OR TOMORROW.
TO EVERYONE AND HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!
OURS IS POURING RAIN, WINDS AND COLD
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:09 AM   #183  
Happy September

PS IF ANYONE HAS A BIRTHDAY LIST CAN YOU SEND IT TO ME?? I HAVE THROWN OUT AN OLD JOURNAL AND THE LIST WENT WITH IT! THANKS!
Old 03-02-2007, 10:12 AM   #184  
Happy September

NEVER MIND!! I FOUND ONE IN MY ADDRESS BOOK!!!
Old 03-02-2007, 11:58 AM   #185  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Happy--What a scare for your mom!! That could happen to me living alone.
I always keep the doors locked and I have a good neighbor plus I know the police department's phone number by heart.

Mel--Glad you found your birthday list. Have a good lunch.

I'm in the process of getting ready to go to Paragould. The price of gas has gone back up to 2.38 as of Wednesday. Haven't looked in a couple of days.

I'll be back Sunday.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:52 PM   #186  

Our hydro has been out since last night, may be out another 12 hours yet. Running the generator for the sump pump and wood stove insert( and computer right now).
All is well other wise.
Hollyhock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:30 PM   #187  

Happy-- Wow… I think your mom was AWESOME. We can all get conned sometimes… and WHAT a recovery. I don't know that we have gypsies in Texas… but we do have cons. And of course LOTS of people have guns. I think I want some dinner!

Mel-- I know, I know… if you want something done ask somebody busy….
May I have a copy of the birthday list? Or would you post it? And I've erased/mislaid/forgotten the addresses, too. Or let me say this… if any of you want to get my coaching newsletter (much more helpful, upbeat and useful than my "honest" posts!!! or Holiday cards, PM me or send email to 4dana(at) airmail (dot) net. thanks.

Why didn't I eat at 6 or 7? Now I am FAMISHED.
PainterWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:45 AM   #188  
Happy September

PAINTER WOMAN:

MARCH 7 MEL

APRIL 25 SHAD
APRIL 27 HAPPY

MAY 21 LINDAT

JUNE 16 TEEL
JUNE 18 LINUS
JUNE 29 NAE (ROSEBLUSH)

JULY21 HOLLY

AUGUST 27 CEEJAY

OCTOBER 6 YOU!!!
OCTOBER 10 RAVENTOY [ABSENT ]
OCTOBER 13 CARLA & SUZI
OCTOBER 20 MADCAT

THIS IS THE LIST I HAD IN MY ADDRESS BOOK. HOPE IT'S RIGHT! I HAD SOME ERRORS IN IT ONCE BUT I THINK I CORRECTED THEM.

AS FOR ME: THE LUNCH TREAT WAS PIZZA. AND SODA. ALL GOOD HEALTHY FOODS!! I SURVIVED. ONE GOOD PIECE OF NEWS IS I GOT MY SMALL TAX REFUND. THINKING OF SENDING IT TO THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY. PRAYING FOR SILENCE THIS WEEKEND. WEATHER IS GREAT AND A QUICK TRIP TO THE LOCAL STORE DOWN THE STREET. GOT MILK?? I SENT A BOX OF ROMANCE BOOKS AND A GUARDIAN ANGEL PIN TO A NEIGHBOR, AGNES, WHO LANDED IN A NURSING HOME. SHE IS SOOO EXCITED AND CALLED ME YESTERDAY. IT WAS THE HIGHLIGHT OF MY DAY TO HEAR HER LAUGH AND SOUND EMBARASSED. SHE'S NOT USED TO PEOPLE CARING. NOT SURE IF SHE IS COMING HOME. SHE WAS A "STRANGER" THAT HELPED ME FINANCIALLY AND ALLOWED ME TO PAY HER IN SMALL AMTS TILL THE DEBT WAS PAID. HER GENEROSITY BLEW ME AWAY. WE GAVE HER FLOWERS AND A CARD WHEN IT WAS ALL OVER AND IT BLEW HER AWAY.
NOT SURE IF SHE IS COMING HOME OR NOT BUT SHE IS VERY HAPPY WHERE SHE IS. I WILL MISS HER IF SHE DOESN'T. SHE WAS MY ROCK IN THE STORMY WEATHERS.
LOTS TO CATCH UP ON BOTH IN MY OWN HOUSE AND HERE! OK NOW I AM OFF TO READ.
HAPPY SATURDAY/SUNDAY!!
Old 03-03-2007, 09:33 AM   #189  
Happy September

HAPPY I CANNOT BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED TO MOM!! HOW AWFUL!!! WITH ALL THE WEIRDNESS OF THE WORLD I TOLD JEN THAT IF SHE HEARS SOMEONE NEEDING HELP IN THE HALL TO CALL THE COPS AND LEAVE THE GD DOOR CLOSED!! UNLESS THEY FELL!!
I AM SO SORRY MOM HAD TO GO THRU ALL THAT. OMG SHE MUST BE IN SHOCK. HOPE THE CATCH THEM!!!
HOPE YOU AND CEEJAY ARE MAKING IT THRU THE STORMS!! THE NEWS HAS BEEN AWFUL. AND CEEJAY ON HER WAY TO A PARAGOULD WEEKEND TOO!! STAY SAFE!!
CEEJAY I NEVER KNEW IT WAS A FULL MOON!! THAT EXPLAINS SO MUCH!! I FEEL BETTER NOW JUST READING THAT!
SHAD YOU MADE ME LAUGH WITH BIG BEAR. REMINDED ME OF JOHN....SO DECIEVING!!!
MADCAT I AM SORRY I MISSED THE WITH YOU AND SHAD. NEXT TIME!! I'LL BE THE ONE IN THE POLKA DOTS! WHEN I SEE POLKA DOT BLOUSES I THINK OF THE LiL' ABNER COMIC STRIP WITH THE HALF NAKED DAISY MAE OR WHATEVER HER NAMES WAS!!
CARLA I'LL MEET YOU AT TOMMIE'S GET SUGARED-OUT AND HOPE OUR BP'S BOTH STAY DOWN!!! CONGRATS ON THE NUMBERS!
MEADOW YOUR EXERCISING IS WONDERFUL. I LIKE OATMEAL, FRUIT AND A A HARD-BOILED EGGWHITE FOR BREAKFAST ALMOST EVERY DAY. IT DOES KEEP ME ON TRACK AS I AM NOT A BREAKFAST PERSON!!!
PAINTER..READ ABOVE...I ALSO USE COLD CEREAL AT TIMES. I TRY TO STICK WITH THIS SO I JUST DO IT ON AUTOPILOT AND IT GIVES ME NO TIME TO THINK I DON'T WANT ANY!!! I'VE HAD SOME FUNKS THIS WEEK TOO. THEY I PUT A RUBBERBAND AROUND MY HEAD AND GIVE IT A GOOD PULL SO I CAN SNAP MYSELF OUT OF IT
HOLLY I HOPE THE FREE COUNSELING IS AVAILABLE!! SENDING GOOD THOUGHTS AND KEEPING FINGERS CROSSED!!

NAE AND SUZI...YOU ARE IN MY THOUGHTS AS WELL WITH LINUS AND OUR MISS TEEL!

FROM MY OWN EXPERIENCE AND FROM WHAT I JUST READ.....THANK GOD THIS WEEK IS OVER WITH!!
HOPE WE CAN ALL REGROUP AND HAVE A BETTER ONE NEXT WEEK!!!!!!!!
Old 03-03-2007, 09:40 AM   #190  
Choose your hard

Good morning chicks,

Mel, I love the idea of the rubberband/snap out of it - I may steal that concept. Thanks too for the birthday list!

Safe travelling Ceejay - it's a bit cooler but at least sunny and dry now. (For the moment).

Things are blooming here. It's getting very pretty.

Gotta run now - getting my hair done today. Don't know what I want to do but I hope the hairdresser is feeling talented

Have a good Saturday.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:44 PM   #191  
Choose your hard

My new haircut and color. I love it - it's brave and daring. Sometimes you just need to mix up your life a bit.

Old 03-03-2007, 05:28 PM   #192  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

You had a botox injection Happy?
Colour looks great and I like the style. Glad the hairdresser had her good scissors with her.
I'm so sorry to hear about Mums escapade. Thank heaven she had her wits about her even if there was the odd lapse or two. This world or at least the cities within this world just get worse. It might be a grand world without homosapien!!!
Just to narrow things down somewhat, I should be with you and DH aroun the 1st or 2nd of June and if I may, stay around 4 or 5 days. Still have to organise the flights but I'm waiting for confirmation from my friends in Arizona and New Mexico that they ain't going to hang the gone fishin' sign out. If they do, well it may be that I have to find something to do in the meantime. I want to do the Oak Creek Canyon tour in Sedona this time. I would have liked to do one of the National Monument tours but they are too long, or not at the right time, or involve camping - which is not really me. I'll do it for one night, maybe two but not four or five. I had thought of going to Carlsbad as I heard the caves are amazing, but I'm doing a cave tour with you people. Carlsbad will wait for another time - if there is one.

Mel, I was having a hard time at the weekend because I realised that I had taken your birthday card home to post a couple of weekends ago and didn't do it. I thought your birthday was the 2nd. DS1 is on the 6th. Anyway, I was at home yesterday and suddenly realised I couldn't ring, couldn't e-mail, couldn't do anything. Now I find I have another couple of days to think about it. Thanks for the list.

I try to get back later today to catch up with everything. Meantime I'd better go and do some work. The SAP training system is going down at 11.00am. I'd better get everything done that I can before then.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:26 PM   #193  
Choose your hard

You're working on Sunday morning Shad? Geez you are dedicated!

Obviously this is not a picture of me. Besides the fact that this model is way younger than me - my eyes are bluer, my lips are not that full and I would NEVER wear purple/mauvy lipstick with this shade of red hair. It's a cut that works with my baby fine, straight as a poker skinny hair. Would never consider botox either I put all the toxins that I'm going to into my body when I was smoking. Done and over with that now.

Come when ever the schedule works out for you - if it's Friday the first I'll just switch up the vacation. DH will be tied up with month end then so if it's Friday we'll have a sit and chat day. (He just said he has to be done with his stuff by noon on the first so that's no problem if you come in that day). Perhaps we'll put you to work in the yard You're welcome to stay as long as you wish also. Knowing the approximate amount of days helps me plan a bit better. I hope things work out with your friends schedules. I'm sure Blanchard Caverns are nice but they probably can't compare to Carlsbad Caverns. Sedona is supposed to be gorgeous too. We didn't have enough time to swing by their on our trip, definitly for another trip. DH said he'd like to make one more trip to the Grand Canyon and take more pictures so it's not out of the question that we may get out that way one more time. Your friend in Arizona must be thrilled you're coming back this way again. Didn't know you had friends in New Mexico too. You'll have to tell us how it is out there.

Ok back to the 3rd floor creepy room. I'm finally organizing and putting away the Christmas decorations - maybe I'll find my Easter stuff.

DH is asking me if you like fish. Do you like salmon? Swordfish? Ahi (yellow fin tuna)? Are you adventurous? I told him that you probably have different fish down your way than we do although orange roughy comes from your part of the world.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:23 PM   #194  

RuthXXX recently had her Bday but I cant remember the date right now......
We have hydro. We went up to see the inlaws and they did not. They have a gas stove tho and needed to cook all the meat in their fridge so we ate dinner there.
DFIL looked peaked and was moving slow. I am worried but his spirits are good. Been 7 years since his quad bypass. He will know more by Thurs. Tests on Tues and Thurs.Looking at surgery again tho for more blockage.

HUGS to all!!!
Hollyhock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:43 PM   #195  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

I love any kind of seafood cooked in any kind of way. Tuna, Salmon, Reef fish, Barramundi, Coral Trout, Snapper, Prawns, Mussels all feature regularly on my menu.
Only things I don't like are things with aniseed:
Fennel,
Dill
Chinese five spice
Caraway
Licorice
Ouzo
Retsina
That's about the list of don't likes - even then I would probably eat/ drink them and smile politely!!! Just put food on the table and don't bother about my eating disorders!!

Just got back from the markets where I bought some mango, banana, limes, sweet potato, nuts, chutney, onion and limes and some Heliconia flowers. There wasn't too much in the way of veg apart from some gi-normous butternuts and some equally huge Jap pumpkin. Since I would be eating one of those for breakfast, lunch and dinner for a week to get through it, I declined. I did want some aussie or nz garlic but could only find chinese

I'm working Sunday to try to get on top of the idiot heap. The system is performing like a trained seal. Microsoft is having glitches. Things go wrong that shouldn't and to top it all off, I took my computer home yesterday and took the wrong power lead. Wouldn't fit. Had to type quick to try to beat the battery.
This will probably be the last Sunday at work. No more 1 day then 3 day weekends. Pain. Means going home Friday arvo and back Sunday. Arvo is slang for afternoon

Holly - sorry to hear about the DFIL - kind thoughts winging his way. Ruth's birthday is about Jan 14th or 16th - somewhere about there.

Okay, back to work I go.

And while I remember, if anyone wants anything bought over from Aus or NZ better get your wish list in soon, not much room in the suitcase!

Last edited by Shad; 03-03-2007 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Just cos
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote