Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: HOW MUCH WATER DO YOU USUALLY DRINK IN A TYPICAL DAY?
I'm like a camel, I hardly ever drink water! 3 8.57%
16 ounces or less (2 glasses) 3 8.57%
16-32 ounces (2-4 glasses) 5 14.29%
32-48 ounces (4-6glasses) 5 14.29%
48-64ounces (6-8 glasses) 6 17.14%
64-80 ounces (8-10 glasses) 7 20.00%
80-96 ounces (10-12 glasses) 4 11.43%
MORE! I'm a walking water tank!!!! 2 5.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2001, 06:00 PM   #16  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Default NEW NON-SMOKER REPORTING IN!!

EVENING EVERYBUDDY

Haven't wanted one all day!!! Only got hungry once except for regular meals....Little jittery, but I can deal with that. YEA FOR ME!!!

DEB AHEM......APRIL 20th for me!!!! I can't believe you FORGOT ME???? boo hoo.....

I'll check back later and address each of you..off to fix dinner...pork chops and kraut YUMMMMMMM

BOB
Old 04-02-2001, 06:37 PM   #17  
Everyday angel

Default Catching up

Happy Monday to all you ladies and welcome newbies!

In the past few weeks I have started LOVING Monday because it’s the start of a brand-new week that I KNOW will be a success!

BOB, I liked “Remember the Titans” well enough. I just saw “The Green Mile” again, which was pretty good, and “Arlington Road” which was a wickedly, deliciously twisted flick!

WHOO-HOOO YOU’RE QUITTING SMOKING!!! I mean it from the bottom of my heart that you have my support and good wishes! YOU CAN DO IT! YOU CAN DO IT! This is what I told myself over and over: All I need to do is make it through THREE DAYS. I’ve had so many other accomplishments that surely I can do this for three days! And sure enough, after three days it was almost easy! (Okay, that’s taking it a bit far, but I wasn’t dying anymore.)

Frog, sounds like you and Bill had TONS of fun in beautiful Hawaii! Your post made me nostalgic too and I live right here! Your sense of adventure and enthusiasm really comes through in your writing. I passed by the Natatorium Saturday. They still haven’t done anything with it. It’s deserted and really reminds me of Russia from when I went to visit there in 1997.

I would be more than happy to send you the items you want. What do you mean by a “garmet” (garment?) ? Email me at [email protected] with some clarification and your address, and I will definitely take a look next time I’m in Waikiki. Also of the price range of each object.

Quilter (Kim) , thanks for the kind words! I know what you mean about catching up with posts after a few days, but I love the hustle and bustle here...so good to know that this “WOE” is catching on!

Debbie, I’ll bet your nails look awesome. You’re so right, the little things do make a big difference. I looked at my hands and thought, these are hardworking hands yes, but they look like the hands of a field worker and not of a professional! I hope you are able to shake off the illness that is trying to catch up with you--although you are way too fast for it! I remember associates night at J. C. Penney as I used to work there, first wrapping gifts and then in the childrens department.

Rosalie, good for you for planning ahead! It’s so important with this WOE...I am newly amazed at how INAPPROPRIATE food is everywhere you go! There is something seriously wrong with the way Americans eat.

Karen, your fluctuations reminded me how much water weight affects us females. I believe that we are burning fat at a consistent rate AT ALL TIMES when we are sticking to the program and working out...but we can expect the scale to torment us at least one week a month.

Bunny lover (((((BARB))))) I really feel your frustration. Your post made me ask myself, is Sugar Busters inappropriate for some people? I have tried many different plans myself and have seen others try plans with initial success (especially low carb) and then fail. I am new at this so it’s a valid question for me to examine. And I can honestly say that the answer is, I think Sugar Busters is a the natural way EVERYONE should eat!

(Soapbox)

I have been thinking about this the past couple days. I don’t think humans were designed/evolved (whatever your belief) to eat refined sugar at all! For millions of years we have been eating whole, natural foods like nuts, vegetables and meat. Only recently, from an evolutionary standpoint, have we started eating cultivated grains. Then, think about this one! How recently have we started eating refined sugar and flour? Two or three hundred years? And currently, how much of the average American diet consists of refined sugar and flour? You tell me. We’re practically brainwashed into thinking that french fries, white bread and a little bit of salty, processed meat a meal makes! Ridiculous if you think about it.

Now, to actually get motivated is another story. It took me a long time before I was ready and it has been only one week for me. So maybe something hasn’t “clicked into place” for you yet. But it seems your main complaint is that you don’t “like” anything on the plan. Perhaps there are some emotional issues that need to be addressed, but ignoring that angle for the moment, a quick fix would be to pick up (or dust off if you already have it) the Sugar Bust for Life cookbook! I was utterly fascinated when I bought it Friday! The variety of food that is “on-plan” is just amazing. Some things I would never have thought of making even if I could eat anything! My prior usual diet of eggs for breakfast, Jack in the Box for lunch and whatever I could grab fast for dinner was the one that was boring and restrictive!!!!

(/soapbox)

Greeneyez yes since I discovered Splenda I have died and gone to Heaven! But I’ve done pretty good at not going overboard. One thing to keep in mind is that Splenda IS a carbohydrate and does have calories...about 1/10 the calories of sugar. But it has been proven over 20 years of studies not to cause changes in your insulin levels (see http://www.splenda.com). In Hawaii we can get it at Wal*Mart ($4) Safeway ($6) and 7-11 (free!). If ANYONE has not tried Splenda I highly recommend it over all other artificial sweeteners, and I’ve tried most of them. It takes just like sugar!

StarChaser, WHOO HOO! I’ll do the happy dance in the nude over here in Hawaii for ya too! That should give roomie a heart attack!

Hello Lisa and a big hearty welcome! Sounds like even though you face huge obstacles in your life you have a positive attitude and a good grip on your sanity! My good wishes and prayers go out to your son.

Viv, what a whirlwind. I’m sorry to hear about your father. I’m insanely jealous that you got to meet Debbie in person but console myself that I still live in Hawaii and the sun is shining!

SolShine welcome to Sugar Busters! I don’t know much about your health condition but a few people on my other board were talking about it and it seems that it causes you to gain lots of weight even if you don’t eat much. Which sucks. I had thyroid cancer and during 2 separate months of my treatment my metabolism slowed down to nothing so I can understand somewhat how frustrated you must be. But the cancer was actually the best thing that ever happened to me because I NEVER take my good health for granted. I would have never finished a marathon if I hadn’t had gone through that.

Glory I totally don’t disagree with you at all! I tried to handle this disease (compulsive eating) all alone for many years with NO success. I’m very independent and stubborn. It took a lot of courage to finally reach out to others and I STILL find myself “trying” to do it all alone! You have the right idea about getting support! What I was trying to say was that I think, in time, we will naturally find more motivation coming from within as we progress. But we don’t stop needing support and we always motivate others too! It’s all a big circle.
Old 04-02-2001, 06:39 PM   #18  
Everyday angel

Default Today's thoughts

The camping trip

What a lot of fun! It was only this one couple and me. Normally I don’t like hanging out with a couple ‘cause I hate being the third wheel but my friends are really cool and I tried to be less uptight as well. They had a tent set up for me and everything. We were on the beach just past Laie, home of Brigham Young University, the Polynesian Cultural Center and hence, a whole lot of Mormons. I didn’t get my hour of cardio in yet Sat so just before dinner, I went for a run on the beach. I was terrified because every time I tried to run in sand before, I would get tired after only a few minutes. As a teenager even walking up a sandy slope would leave me horribly winded. But I set out at a slow pace and was amazed to discover that I could do it! Running barefoot in the soft sand at dusk was an spritual experience...sort of unearthly.

The next morning I got up early and instead of twiddling my thumbs I went for another run, this time along the road, and then I walked back on the beach. Then later on all three of us walked out to Goat island, through the water, over relatively flat coral reef. I was terrified to attempt it but it turned out the water was only knee deep most of the way. We walked the entire perimeter of the tiny island, which was eerily beautiful. So in the course of two days I got in about 9 miles of walking/running!

A digression

I had a strange thought as I was watching my friend walk. She’s about 40, Filipino and is so beautiful. She has almost no extra fat anywhere on her body, and smooth, dark skin with barely a trace of wrinkles or cellulite. Well, she was wearing these clunky platform beach sandals but she still outpaced me without even appearing to be making the slightest effort. So (here’s the strange part) I was mesmerized by her thighs, which didn’t come anywhere near touching as she walked (she was wearing a bikini). I was thinking, let’s assume there are 2,600 steps in each mile we walk. Well after 2.600 times that little bit of rubbing that my thighs do, even if it doesn’t cause me thigh burn like it used to, still slows me down.

When I was well over 200 pounds I literally could not walk! If I walked a mile with my thighs bare I was literally crippled by thigh burn. Even barring that, if I encountered any kind of hill I was done for. I remember the few times I went hiking as a teenager (this was when I was 160 or 170) I remember always being terrified. When I was really big I barely left the house. Besides, I would always wear long pants or skirts, long sleeves, heavy, bulky polyester things that barely allowed me to breathe. My thighs were like two bulky sweaty pillows pressing against each other. I was literally a prisoner in my own body.

So my point is (yes there is one) that this random thought gave me home that I’ll be able to run faster and better in a very short time period! Even in one week I can FEEL my legs getting smaller!
Old 04-02-2001, 06:49 PM   #19  
Everyday angel

Default Inspiration

FOR MOTIVATIONAL MONDAY

(WARNING: Shameless self-promotion ahead. Okay you’ve been warned.) I dug up some inspirational/thought-provoking threads I have started or participated in recently in my other forum, before I started posting here. Some of these might strike your interest:

How has losing weight changed your life?

Fun things to do -- ZERO CALORIES!
~ An expansion on my list from a few days ago.

Reach out and touch somebody
~ Ideas on how to meet new people

The little things that are nice about being thin(ner)
~ I re-read this thread whenever I forget how far I’ve come!

Do you like yourself?
~ This one is a little deep but good reading if you are in an introspective mood.

Who inspires you?
~ A gem if I do say so myself.

Discussion! Fat acceptance in society.
~ Should it be “okay” to be fat?

What makes you feel like a kid again?
~ Yes, folks, I bought that bike!

What are your ultimate life goals?

Goal setting--an inspiration
~ Quick thought from a book I read
Old 04-02-2001, 06:54 PM   #20  

Default BRRRR

Hi everyone! It is snowing here today -what a treat for a Floridian (sorry viv!). I also got some incredible buys today when we were shopping. No tax here on clothes. I got 3 light sweaters, a Penn State sweatshirt, and a jumper for $45. Woo Hooo!

I have been ok since I have been here, but overdoing the legal carbs a bit. I have not gained though so that is great for vacation!

I think I have finally figured out what is slowing my weight loss even when I am 100% OP - I have been on Prednisone for my feet for about 6 months. I found out from a friend of my mom's who is a health care worker that it is a steroid and that it will make you gain weight! Geesh! Every time I turn around one of the meds I am on for health problems turns out to be a sabatoger! You would think that doctors, who are always hounding me to lose weight would consider these things before they prescribe them and at least tell me! She also said that 6 mos is way too long to be on prednisone unless you have luekemia or something like that, so I went off it and am going to find a new foot doctor when I get home!

Anyway, still having fun here at my mom's. Went to lunch today with my brother, sister and dad (parents are divorced) and we had a nice time. I sure miss them all when I am in FL. My neices and nephews are certainly giving my sister and brother a run for their money right now with all their adolescent problems - makes me glad that I can't have kids of my own. ( I have a 9 year old stepdaughter, Jennifer).

Deb: You always have the best motivational monday stuff. I feel bad because I never put anything up, but I will start when I get back to FL... Promise!

RHOO: Be kind to yourself! You only have 8 pounds to go! Look at your success so far!

Rose: Sounds like you had a nice time with the grandkids! I have been having a blast with my neices and nephews too! It is nice to send them home with their parents though!

Sparke: Holy Cow! You better do a double happy dance! How many sizes are you down?

Rodeo: Wow! Your daughter must be a great rider! My mom used to barrel race when she was a kid.

Karen: I know how you feel about the bloat... it is my TOM and I am feeling bloaty too! Happy almost Birthday!

BigO: Woo Hooo! No smoking is wonderful! You should be very proud!

CathyCathy: I got the SB book on tape from the library for the second reading and listened to it a couple times while riding my recumbant bike and driving to work... It sunk in better for me that way for some reason. You should check out the library!

Lisa: Welcome! Glad to hear that your son is doing well! I am sure it has been very hard on you.

Gator: How is the weather there? I will be flying back in Wednesday afternoon. As I am sure you know, Michigan State lost their game so hubby is bumming tonight I am sure! I will be rooting for AZ - Duke wins all the time! I can't get Frog's pictures either. Must be something about our internet service or something.

Sol: Hi neighbor! I live in Ormond Beach but am in PA visiting my mom! You will love the support you get here!

Viv: Funny, I am enjoying the coldness so much here! I guess whatever you get in large quantities you start to resent. I really, really miss the change of seasons! Glad to hear you got home safe and sound. I will keep you and your dad in my prayers.

Glory: I absolutely know how you feel! I was feeling really bad a couple weeks ago and ready to quit, but the support here helped me so much. I am still not losing like I would like to, but you and I will hang in there together, okay?!!!!

Hi Ashley! Hi Quilter!

Well I am going to go be more sociable... Love you all! Annette
Old 04-02-2001, 07:55 PM   #21  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Default ANYBODY WANT TO DO MY DISHES?

I added a sweet potato to my meal and it was molicious

Annette So glad you're having a good time. You needed a little cold weather! At least you missed the storm down here!!

CHRIS Arlington Road is one of my all time favorites. After I saw it, I told everyone I saw to rent it.
Glad you had a good weekend..Yes, I will be calling on your strength during this "mission" I'm on..Today I didn't have any problem with nervous eating...HOPEFULLY, I can continue like this.

MARGARET I know what you mean abou the time change. This is the one I never get used to. I've been dragging all day!

MsLIZ I wondered where you were girl! Remember what I aways say when you fall....wipe the grease off those hands and CLIMB BACK UP ON THE WAGON... if you need the handcuffs, just let me know

GLORY How is Snugglebug? Skeeter "peers" out the door before setting one paw on the ground. He wants to make sure those possums are NOT there.

RODEO I'm coming to your house....YUMMMMMM
You're lucky to have a nice Dr....down here you wouldn't get one foot on the scale before they would be asking for payment of some sort!

SOLSHINE So glad you made it over. When you didn't come right away, I thought maybe you had changed your mind. {{{{{{WELCOME}}}}}}}}}

VIV Didn't your bed feel good???? I'm so glad you had a good time, and it's always sad to leave a good vacation spot, but believe me...it's not always paradise down here...BUT WE'D BE GLAD TO HAVE YOU....
Hope your Dad is feeling better...he's in my prayers.

LISA I agree, read the book before you start. It's a must...{{{{{{{{WELCOME}}}}}}}}}}

CATHYCATHY Glad you had a good day. I leave the "pasta" breakdowns to Deb..She's the authority. I
know nothing about pasta....EXCEPT I LOVE IT!!!!

ROSALIE You amaze me!! You need to live in warm weather...are you swimming tonight?
Keep it up...

GATOR I've got one thing to say about that buffet....

STAR ALL RIGHT GIRL!!!! DANCE ON..... You have done SO WELL...I can hear the music from here!

RHONDA OK, STOP YOUR WHINNING!!!! You have done SO well...58lbs?????? Be proud of yourself...YOU WILL GET THERE!!!!

[b]DEB[/b I hope you're feeling better. How did court go? Give Sharon a big hug...she probably needs one about now.. Hello to Eli...

FROG ARE YOU IN THAT MOONSHINE YET??
Are you ready for the game? I think we need to give some diction lessons....Chris though you mispelled garmet ......Chris...that's the way we talk....we're from the mountains!! and the South.....

Well Ladies..hope I didn't miss anyone...if I did, I'll catch you next time! I'm off to lurk...speaking of lurking........
HI BARBEE

BOB
Old 04-02-2001, 07:58 PM   #22  

Default I'm baaaack!

Hi Gals!

WOW, a lot of new names! That's so cool!

Well, we are now firmly established (as firmly as a temporary assignment can be) in Andover, Massachusetts! It is certainly a far cry from what I am used to! It has been a major adjustment. The road system is unbelievable. I can barely find my way ANYWHERE. Praise the Lord for Mapquest! WHERE IS A WALMART??? Where is Walgreen's? These stores are VERY few and far between here. I'm used to a Walgreen's on every other corner...here there is a Dunkin' Donuts on every other corner! And don't try to find a grocery store... We have finally discovered Market Basket, but finding one near us is another problem altogether. Down south, you get on a highway, and you can see everything you need from there...here, you have to guess what is going to be off the next exit...It's just so different.

OK, I am back on program. I have to admit that I am limiting my carb intake somewhat as well. I just can't do breads...even WW ones. I can eat a whole loaf of sesame Ezekial's in one sitting if I let myself. Bagels are another downfall. ANYWAY, I have been OP for a week, and exercising like crazy. We have a weight room here in the apartments they have set us up in, and we are taking full advantage! MWF I do 20 minutes on the recumbent bike, then weights. TThS I do 30 minutes on the bike. SO...6 days a week. Last week I lost 4.5 pounds.

SO, how do we get the cute little pictures on the side thingy?? I like all the nifty images, where do they come from?

Sara
235/216.5/160
Old 04-02-2001, 08:55 PM   #23  

Good Evening Everyone!

Newbies: Hi and welcome aboard!! The more the merrier. You will find a lot of support and motivation here. Any questions, you only need ask and someone will try to help.

Annette: I know what you mean about Prednisone. I took it a couple of times for my Asthma. But... as I understand it (if what you take is the same as what I has to take) you should never just quick taking it cold turkey. I think you're supposed to be weaned off. You should probably ask your doctor.

Deb: Hope your's and Sharon's day was not too bad. I really hope that all goes well for Sharon. I know that this is a very difficult time for her. She is so lucky to have a wonderful and supportive friend like you.

Sasahm: Glad you are settled and back on program. Moving can be a major headache so it's really great that you lost 4.5 pouns last week and that you have the weight equipment to take advantage of. Keep it up, you're doing great.

BOB: Congratulations on not smoking. I know it's hard. My mom started trying to quit about the same time that you did and she's back to smoking. You keep it up. I think it's great.

Chris: Glad you had so much fun on your campout. Running on the beach sounds awsome. Especially on a Hawaiian beach. Thanks for all the motivation.

Margaret: Glad you found some of the things you were looking for in Baton Rouge. I would love to visit there sometime, but I'm afraid I would eat all the wrong foods. But then again you mentioned NICE SINGLE MEN that are on SB

MisLiz: Welcome back and glad you're back on track.

GloryB: Don't worry about being up, it's probably just you TOM like you said.

RodeoMom: Congratulations on your daughter's wins. You must be so proud. And canning homemade spaghetti sauce and now homemade salad dressing. You go girl! That is totally the way to go.

Viv: Glad that you had such a good time on your vacation. You and your dad will be in my prayers. I know that with your connections in the Medical community and with prayer you will find a way to make things easier and get your dad there to have the surgery.

StarChaser: Congratulations on your 15 lb loss. Way to Go! You are an inspiration to all of us to stay op and see the same kind of results.

Everyone have a great SB day and I'll be back later to see if I missed anyone.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE! for your support, motivation and just being a great cyber friend.

Cheri
287/273/145
Old 04-02-2001, 10:24 PM   #24  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Evening All!

Boy, you all have been busy beavers on this board since I left this morning@---->

LONGGGG day, but things seemed to go quite well for Sharon. We won't know probably for a day or two the outcome of today's hearing, the Judge wanted to think about everything. BUT, her husband really purjured himself, and the Judge knew it. For instance, he drinks, and was asked what medications he takes, and the Judge says, "you know you can't drink when you take this medication" and her husband, Joe, says I swear, I never was told that-so the Judge, of course, didn't believe this, and tells the secretary to subpoena his medical records. This was just one of many things that helped him dig his own hole that he can crawl into-I won't bore the board, but just know, Sharon's attorney was right on the money-Joe's was out of town! Will let you know what the outcome of ROUND 1 is when we hear.

I got in my 4.5 miles this morning, it was hard to get up with the time change and feeling a bit sluggish this morning, but I did and it was a gorgeous day and I really enjoyed my walk.

Just wanted to tell you a little food tidbit. Didn't know what I wanted to have for breakfast this morning, then came up with taking some yogurt, a 1/2 cup, and took a little sweetener (I like this one called SWEET VIBES) and took about a TBL of freshley made and very smooth PB and stirred it up-IT WAS DELICIOUS!!!! So, keep that in mind if you like yogurt and PB!!

RHROO, glad to know even though you don't post daily, you are lurking and reading. It seems the weekends are doing you in. It's like 5 steps forwards and 2 steps back. I am dying for you to get to goal, you're just so close. What can you do about staying OP on the weekends? We need to get this figured out so you can keep moving forward, or should I say DOWN!!!

STAR, CONGRATS on your 1 MONTH SB ANNIVERSARY! And a bigger CONGRATS ON A 15LB LOSS!!! I'm happy dancing for you here in Miami!!!! That is not only wonderful, but awesome. I know I'm thrilled for you, so you must be dancing on air!! You can use any WW pasta, I like Hodgson Mills, and it's cheaper than the SB brand I've seen in the stores. Also, any pasta sauce that has no added sugar is fine. I like WHOLE FOODS brand, but HUNTS also makes one in a can if that's easier to find. Just remember, read the ingredients list, if it has no sugars of any kind, it's okay-even though it says grams of sugar per serving, this would be natural sugars from the tomatoes-again, just read the label.

ROSALIE, badminton and a 2 mile walk-that's great! About the b.day listing, are you talking about putting them on the intro page each week for the month? If so, that's a good idea, I think. Let me know if that's what you meant.

KAREN, thanks for posting your bday, didn't want to leave you out!

CATHY2, hope you don't mind me doing a shortening of your name I hope your first SB day went/goes well. This WOE WILL work, as long as you do. The one thing I can tell you that I feel is very important for newbies is, even though SB doesn't say to do so, I think keeping a food journal and knowing just how much you are eating is very important. I get soooo many e-mails from people who drop a great many pounds the first few weeks and then stop losing, they get discouraged, and can't figure out why they aren't losing-every time I find it's because they aren't eating enough. Something so easy to change. Once you are familiar with everything, you don't need to do this on a daily basis, but at the beginning, I truly believe it's helpful. One site many of us use is fitday.com-check it out. Personally, I keep a little notebook and write things in that. Yes, you can use pasta made from durum semolina. I buy WW pasta, Hodgson Mills. Please take a look at the FOOD INFORMATION BOARD, you'll find some pasta info there. Try to keep cooking it down to a minimum, the less time you cook it, the lower the GI.

LISA, WELCOME TO THE BOARD!!! Glad to have you joining us. Very happy to hear your son is doing well, now it's time to focus on yourself and getting yourself taken care of. I'm sure what you went through wasn't easy, and as you said, stress is not good for anyone, in any way. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have, as you can see, and probably read, the women on this board are very helpful & friendly. We truly care about each other and are always eager to help. You won't find a better place for support anywhere, I know this for a fact Where about's do you live???

VIV, glad to have you back! Again, it was wonderful to have the chance to meet you, and yes, it was far too short of a visit! I look forward to one day having lots more time with you. Again, thanks for the Carbolite treat-you know what I forgot to give you, COFFEE!!! How did I forget that!!! Oh well, next time. Glad to hear you had a great time at the B/M!!! Did you get on the scale, or did you guesstimate a pound up?? It will take me a little while to finish that roll of film, so don't worry, I won't be posting those picks for a little bit Glad to have you back on the board, safe and sound. Please keep us informed on the latest with your Dad.

SOLSHINE, a warm WELCOME TO THE BOARD to you as well. ANOTHER FLORIDIAN!!!!!! Gosh, how I wish you'd of been around in February, a few of us met up there in Orlando! You have lots of Floridians here on the board!! Congrats on your loss so far. Don't worry about what the scales say, just concentrate on how you are feeling. Now, if you are hungry a lot, possibly you aren't eating enough calories. We'd love for you to post your daily menu so we can all critique it, throw you our 2 cents. You may need to increase your caloric intake, up your protein, possibly eat more filling foods-things that can easily be done. Please, don't hesitate to ask any questions, we are all eager and willing to help you in any way! If you ever get down to Miami, just let me know!!! Just noticed, you are in the same city as GATOR.

RODEO, congrats to your daughter-how long has she been doing the rodeos?? Boy, you did make a whole bunch of sauce-I wish I could cook like that!! I have recipes for salad dressings, if you let me know what type you are looking to make-old vegetarian cookbooks are wonderful to find good SB legal recipes.

GLORY, don't be so down on yourself. You're back, and that's what matters. You've done so well, this was just a small setback. Just look forward, you know you can do this, look what you've accomplished so far. As you've said, the support of this board is so important-and you know from the past, we'll help you through ANYTHING!!!

MSLIZ, geez, how in the world can you go AWOL and not tell us! Glad to see you back on the board, and back on track.

MARGARET, I too am not taking too well to the time change. PLEASE tell me that was a typo and you got AGAVE NECTAR, not guava nectar! I like STEVIA, I use it all the time. I like the STEVIA PLUS brand, it has no fillers like some others. The only problem I have with it, due to the humidity, I found I have to keep it in a container that doesn't let the air in it, otherwise, the packets get hard, and you can't use it. One thing to know about Stevia, use a little, if you use too much, it will taste bitter, but personally, this is my choice when it comes to sweeteners. I have information about Stevia on the FOOD INFORMATION BOARD (link above in welcome post). Also, you don't need to buy the SB brand of mayo, or anything else SB brand, store brand or national brand is fine-or if you'd like, make your own.

BIGO, I SWEAR, I have your b.day listed on my list-I don't know how I missed typing this very important information! I fixed it above-so sorry, you do forgive me, don't you?? So, how was the day without a cig?? Both Sharon and Eli send you a hello too! We had sweet potatoes here too, made them in the pressure cooker, YUMMY!

SPARKLE, you are right, everyone should eat the SB way. If you have the opportunity, get a copy of the Prevention mag and read the article about low glycemic eating. Lately, it's been getting attention everywhere-finally, people are validating what we have known to be true, this WOE does work!!! You are right about the body not being able to metabolize refined sugars-but can you even imagine what all these preservatives do to our bodies, that's even more scary! Since I started SB, not only have I made a pact to follow this WOE to a T-, but also, I started to eat healthier in the respect that I won't buy things with chemical preservatives in them, esp. things I don't know how to say, much less know what they are. Oh yes, I can sympathize on those thighs you had way back when-I remember mine being so raw from rubbing together!!! I love your ODDYSEY pictures!!!!

ANNETTE, snow, you lucky devil! Can't really complain, weather was beautiful today, but I'd love a little cooler weather, so bring some back to the Sunshine State! Sounds like you really did get some deals up there. Glad to hear you haven't gained. I remember one of my customers was on Predisone and she really had a bad weight gain, so you are probably right about your weight going down slowly, BUT, can you imagine what will happen when you go off it-boy, you'll probably disappear!!!! When do you head back home???

SAS, glad to have you back on the board. We've missed you. Don't worry about any stores there except TRADER JOES! I'm sure they have some in Mass, don't they??? Seems you are taking well to your new surroundings-esp the weight room, and you're doing well, congrats on another 4.5lbs!!! When you go to reply, you'll see at the bottom AVATAR, click on that, there are some everyone can use, otherwise, you need to load up some gifs, which you can find on the web. Others can probably explain this better than I, it's new to me too.

CHERI, thanks for the nice words for me, and for Sharon, I'll pass them along to her. It's going to be getting nastier for her, but I'll be here for her every step of the way.

Well ladies, I'm gonna call it a night. Please remember, TOMORROW IS TUESDAY TIPS I am planning on posting some very interesting information about OATMEAL, so make sure you check it out.

Also, if you haven't done so already, PLEASE GET YOUR BIO POSTED ON THE NEW UPDATED BIO BOARD!. The link is below:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...4143#post34143

Have a wonderful evening, and I'll check in with you all some time tomorrow!!!

NITE!

Debbie
194/132.5/129
Miami, FL
Old 04-02-2001, 10:29 PM   #25  
VR

Good Monday everyone...

GatorGal:
I had your wonderful Ratataoule (sp?) tonight. It was in the freezer from the last time I made it so I put it over spaghetti squash and heated it up. Love it!

Sparkle:
You mentioned, when you reply you open a window by using ctrl + n so you can refer back to the posts. When I do that, I get my home page.. Could you maybe walk me through it?? It must be wonderful to wake up in HI every morning. I was first introduced to your wonderful state when my brother and his wife were married in the Fern Grotto on Kauai (in the 80s). We stayed at a wonderful townhouse on the beach. The reception was at the Coco Palms...... a great time was had by all!! The next week we stayed on Maui in Sugar Beach in a condo. Great memories and pictures. We have only been back once but I think we will make it a point to go in the next year or two!! I liked your observation of "thighs". It is amazing the freedom we give up when we choose to eat wrong...

Debbie:
I finally made it to Whole Foods today to get the Agave Necter... 2 bottles. When I got home I noticed that I had picked up the Dark. Have you ever used the Dark. The only one I have tasted is the Light.
Hope the day went well for you and Sharon. Size 4!! Frame them!!

Quilter:
I think you may have asked about how to cook Spaghetti Squash. When I cook it, I leave it whole (puncture a few times with a fork). Just put it in a pan with a little water in it and cook at 350 for about an hour and 15 minutes. Cut it in half, remove the seed by scraping with a fork and then take the fork and scrape the entire squash. It comes out in strings just like spaghetti. Great with a little butter, salt and pepper. Tonight I put GatorGals Ratatatouli (sp?) on it.

Viv:
Glad to hear you had a good time on vacation. Hope to make it to Disney/FL someday, Disney/CA is just so much closer! Have had your dad and family in my prayers. Please keep us posted. It must have been a blast to meet Debbie - the Patron Saint of SugarBusters!!

My weekend with my grandson and daughter went well. I love them both so dearly!! We celebrated his 11th birthday (April 6th) a week early because next week mom is surprising him with a trip to Knots Berry Farm in LA (not Louisiana) and birthday dinner at Wild Bills.. They will fly down and spend the weekend. He is ADHD (heavy on the "H" - Hyper)! He attends a special school in San Francisco and is currently residential. Goes home on weekends. We took him to see Spy Kids and went to the Old Spaghetti Factory for dinner. I got him some new shorts, etc. from Old Navy and a "Gift Card" from Toys R Us. He really likes to do him own spending, especially when it looks like a credit card!! He is a wonderful, funloving, compassionate little boy and my heart goes out to him. ADHD has him in constant motion.. the first signs of it showed up when he was 18months. What a curse..

Anyone on the board from Arizona?? We're going to go check out Sedona in June.. just wondering about it. My husband is always on the lookout for a place to retire. We're tired! We are both native Californians and it will be hard to give up the weather and the ocean!!

My son (21) who just moved to Tulsa in February called the other night and said he just realized (ha, ha) that there is no "beach"! Said he is feeling very land-locked! We've always been within 20 minutes of one.. here in San Jose, close to Santa Cruz. And I was raised close to the world famous(ta-da) Pismo Beach!!

Well dear friends, I need to run and get a few things done around the house... thinking of you all!
Old 04-02-2001, 10:58 PM   #26  

VERONICA what I do to reply and still see the posts is right click the reply button and and select "open in a new window"

DEBBIE I found the JokNAl jam but none of there other products were available I particularly was after the pickle.
The jam I got was VERY nice though, very real and not waterey like all other diet ones Ive tried.

SPARKLE Ive just spent ages at that other site reading all your inspriation. I see you have your own site underway too. Was interested to see all the old photos of you , you have come such a long way in your recoverey and seem to me to be a strong bright women capable of anything you put your mind too
I have been toying with OA but couldnt manage to give up all flours and measure all my food for any length of time. I also dont have any meetings in my area.
You sure are lucky to live in Hawaii if you dont really get winter....

We have had nothing but rain and wind the last 3 days and I hate it. I always want to hybernate in the cold.
My eating went all to **** to along with the sunshine so I need to pick myself up somehow . Its so hard all over again though as soon as I get that sugar in my system!!!!

DEBBIE what is PB is it peanut butter??

Have had a read of the book SB . Its a pretty quick read isnt it. No suprises and nothing my mind does battles with, its only this poor addicted body.
oh well enough of me and my moaning,sorry for being such a droopy drawers!!
look Im smiling
Old 04-02-2001, 11:05 PM   #27  

Good evening everyone

Though I'd get in a post tonite as I will be up and out early tomorrow morning.

CathyCathy - I wish you well on your first week on SB. I think the Angel Hair pasta should be O.K. The important thing is that it is made with Durum Semolina although SB does recommend that we use whole wheat. There is a good article on pasta on the FOOD BOARD which is taken from Montignac's book. Here's the link if you would like to check it out: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...threadid=2365.

Lisa - Hi and welcome to the board. Sorry to hear about your son but glad to hear he is now doing O.K. There's a great group here and you will get lots of support.

Viv - Welcome back. It sounds like you had a wonderful holiday. Too bad you had to come back to lousy weather. Just believe IT WILL GET BETTER. My thoughts are with you and your Dad. Hope things turn out well for him.

SolShine - Hi and welcome. It's true that the meal plan in the book is for maintenance - don't ask why they put it in there without explaining that it was for maintenance only. It might be a good idea to post your menu - someone should be able to offer suggestions on any changes you need to make. You really shouldn't be hungry on this woe. There are so many things that we can eat. We do have to be careful though with the starchy carbs but we can have lots of veggies, also salads, chicken, fish, eggs. Lentils, peas and beans are also allowed, as they are mostly low gi, although we do have to watch quantities. You can still hinder weight loss if you eat too much of the allowable foods. It is recommended to have no more than two, maybe three servings of starchy carbs per day for weight loss. A serving is 1 slice of SGWW bread, 1/2 cup brown rice, 1/2 cup pasta.

Rodeo - Congratulations to your daughter for all her trophys. Sounds like you had a busy time in the kitchen. You're very ambitious making your own pasta sauce. I'll try to fill you in on the walking video. The one I use is Leslie Sansone's 2 MILE WALK. I thought it was kind of weird when I first heard about it. Had visions of just walking around the house. Anyway it involves a bit of walking on the spot, side stepping, arm swinging. The tape runs for about 30 minutes and the idea is to keep moving all the time. There aren't any fancy steps to learn, all the moves are easy to do. The moves change all the time so it doesn't get boring. It's a vey good workout. Leslie has her own website if you want to check it out. http://www.lesliesansone.com.

Chris - Sound like you had fun on your camping trip.

Greenezey - Hi and welcome.

GloryB - Don't worry about those 2 pounds. Now you are back on the board I am sure you are going to stick to the plan and control those portions. Also if it is that time of month again then it is probably just fluid. We are all here to give you support.

MsLiz - Welcome back. Glad to hear you are back on track again. Keep it up!

BigO - Glad you got through your first smoke free day. Think how much better you are going to feel and how much money you can save. BEEN THERE DONE THAT - 12 years ago. And no I'm not swimming tonite. Had enough for one day, exercise this morning and this afternoon I played badminton. I'll save swimming for another day. (Also have to keep my hair looking decent for work tomorrow.)

Annette - Glad you are enjoying your visit with your Mom. I agree with Cheri that any steroid like prednisone shouldn't be stopped abruptly, particularly if you have been on it a long time. It would be a good idea to check with your doctor. If you are on it a long time, and depending on the dosage, your body can stop making its own steroid, that is why it should be tapered gradually so the body has a chance to start producing its own again.

Sara - Welcome back. It's good to hear you have settled into your new home O.K. and good that you have that exercise room. Congrats on that 4.5 pound loss. Cutting out the breads must be working for you.

Goodnite all

Marie.
Old 04-02-2001, 11:08 PM   #28  

Walked 4.3 miles today after work. Did it in 67 minutes.

ROSALIE, sounds like you had quiet a time with those grandkids yesterday. Such a wise idea to eat lunch before you brought them to McDonalds, that way you were't tempted to eat off program! The work that your son is doing on the cottage sounds like it will be really nice. I know you will enjoy that very much. I didn't realize that you had mosquitoes in Canada.

KAREN, What you told BOB was really interesting about no one invites you to their house to smoke, etc...I've never heard that before, but very wise advise. Also, your WW pasta dish sounds interesting. Will be waiting to hear how it comes out.

Bunny Lover, so sorry to hear that you are in a funk & depressed. It sounds as though you know what the problem is though...If you really want to lose the weight, then you will have to decide to make the right choices concerning the foods you eat. You know that this WOE is a good plan & that it works, so what are you waiting for? You have the right idea to start journalling your intake. Also, use fitday to chart your choices to see how much fiber, fruits, etc you are taking in. You can do it! & we are here for you. Also, are you exercising? It will help you in all aspects, physical, mentally, etc. Don't give up on yourself!

DEBELLI, Today's 4.3 mile adventure walk was a little different. I'm in the country, right? Well guess what are not only in the ditches, but today, coming on the road? That's right....2 snakes. One was a blue runner but I managed to stay clear of it. Next to dogs, which I am deathly afraid of, are these slimmy creatures. LOL But they're not keeping me from being out there. Hey, I agree with Rosalie, why not post the Birthdays on your intro at the beginning of each month!

StarChaser, 15 #!! WOW!! You are I know how you must be excited. Do that Happy Dance right there in your heart & mind! I'm sure you have been on cloud 9 all day & you deserve to be. I find that I have been doing alot more cooking & enjoying it since I'm back on SB. DH is enjoying that postive aspect too...LOL Legal Sauce? I hear 5 Brother's sauce is legal & you can make your own. I will try to post one that I tried the other day.

GATORGAL, So sorry to hear that you're having so much trouble with your puter. Have you tried clearing your history & Cache under your Browser Perferences? Sometimes that gets too full & it helps to clear it. Worth a try!

CATHYCATHY, I read somewhere that thin pasta is low GI, but according to SB, I don't think it's allowed because it's not WW, however, there is a WW Angel Hair pasta on the grocer shelves & it's very good.

Lisa_A_A, Welcome to the BOARD. So glad you have found us & have decided to join us. You will find a great group of supportive & informative ladies here that are always ready to help. Sorry to hear about the diagnoses of your son, but glad to hear that he is stable now. Do this for yourself cause I'm sure you want to be healthy & well for yourself as well as for him.

VIV, good to see you made it home safely. Too bad the weather is nasty, but it sounds like you & the family had a wonderful time in FLA. Sure hope you can work things out with your dad to get him closer to you. I know that would ease your worries about him alot.

SolShine, Welcome to the BOARD! You've made a wise choice with SB & also with joining us! We look forward to getting to know you too. Your question about the 14 day menu...you know, I had read the book when I started SB a couple of years ago & didn't catch that the menu was for maintenance. I didn't realize it until I read it here on this board...LOL Anyway, I used that 14 day menu to get started & I sure did lose with it. I guess that it was such a change in my diet that it was enough to make me lose.

RodeoMom, Ever since Overcome has told us about her Sf syrup in oatmeal I have enjoyed it too. Had some this morning. I found a recipe for SF dressing & tried it tonight. It has SF maple syrup, dijon mustard, olive oil, & balsamic vinegar. It is delicious! I will post the recipe. Would be awesome with chicken too...DID YOU HEAR THAT BOB?? BTW, your homemade Spaghetti sauce sounds great. You've sure put alot of work into it.

Liz, well at least you found your way back & you are back on track...that's what counts!

MARGARET, Agave Nectar in BR? Guess I may need to take a ride up there one week-end...what is the name of the HFS? Do you remember? Well now, Abbeville has a couple of famous restarunts, like Dupris. They are fabulous for seafoods.

GLORYB!!! I agree, it's hard to keep up with the reading here, but I sure do try! Look forward to it everyday!

BOB, Horrah for you on being smoke free...day1...you can do this!

Sasahm, so glad that you are settled in Mass & have made your way back to this board. We've missed you. This area will take you some getting use to, huh? But I'm sure you & MapQuest will do fine...LOL

ANNETTE, OMG, yes! Predisone sure will make you gain weight! I didn't realize that you were on it. I'm so glad you & your friend figured it out. Cheri is absolutely right...you must NOT stop this medication cold turkey...you have to wean off of it slowly. Talk to you DR about it. Hope you enjoy the rest of your visit.

Good night ladies!
Old 04-02-2001, 11:11 PM   #29  

Rosalie, we were posting at the same time! LOL And you posted my FAVORITE CAT!! love it!!! Catch you later
Old 04-02-2001, 11:27 PM   #30  

Default Glad Monday is Over, Tomorrow is another day!

Motivational Thought Regarding Goal Setting

Take Baby Steps...
"You can't climb up to the second floor without a ladder. When you set your goal too high and don't fulfill it, your enthusiasm turns to bitterness. Try for a goal that's reasonable, and then gradually raise it."
Emil Zatopek, 4-time Olympic gold medalist from Czechoslavakia

I started out the morning OK until I stepped out on the back deck and slipped on the little bit of frost that had accumulated from all the rain followed by cold temps. Scared Mr. HB (Mr. Honey Bunny - DH) to death and bruised me a bit.

Tomorrow I have what could be a VERY difficult meeting with a group of board members for a committee that I co-chair. We are having an "emergency" meeting to discuss some problems with the agency and some particular problems with the agency leadership. It could get heated, emotional and out-of-control. Since there was a bit of a letter writing campaign against myself and my boss, I have asked to have a moderator come in to facilitate. It's sad really. I raised concerns as the co-chair and a positive plan to systematically make improvements. It was viewed as a planned sabbotage with a hidden agenda. Please keep a happy thought for me tomorrow at 9:30 a.m. EDT that I will be able to keep my chin up and my guard down!

VR - what browser are you using? IE, NN or AOL?

BOB - "ain't got no whiiiiite liiiightnin' tuhniiiiiiite. Paw's fixed hima gin-an-tawnic an is jus a sawin' 'em lawgs on the sofer." I'm watching the game! Glad to read that you've given up the smokes! Remember is a !

SPARKLE - Thanks for being willing to assist with some Hawaiin goodies. I wrote down your email address and will use it soon. We call that rubbing that you get between your thighs "chub rub." I've had my fair share of it and hope that I will be chub rub free this summer. BTW - I stopped marathon training for no reason in particular. I took the taper to the extreme after the race. Then I became very sick with my allergies last year, followed by a depression and sunsequent weight gain.

DEB - I think it's great that you are able to be and are so supportive of your friend Sharon. I hate that she is going through such a trying time. Hope I don't have a "Dookie Howser" aka "packing dookie" problem this WIW. Trying to force the water and fiberous foods.

STAR - Way to go! This is a wonderful, healthy WOE. Glad you've been successful. That will REALLY help get your momentum going now.

VIV - Sorry to hear about your Dad. We'll keep a good thought for him and the rest of your family!

GLORYB - thanks for your comments.

QUILTER - I am going to get the book "The 4 agreements" that you suggested. I had it on my Christmas List but didn't get it. I think it would help!

WELCOME NEWBIES!!!

Oh I hope I addressed everyone. Hi to everyone!
Anyone have any idea who will be the next to go on Survivor?

Good night!

Peace,
Frog

Last edited by Frog Lover; 04-02-2001 at 11:30 PM.
Closed Thread