1960's 10 28.57%
1970's 7 20.00%
1980's 1 2.86%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 12:50 AM   #121  

Default Busy Saturday

I have to say that seeing the dawn is greatly overrated. Was up at about 4am this morning - my back won't let me stay asleep for more than a couple of hours at a time. Still doing physical therapy but it doesn't seem to get better. Have to wait until Nov 13th for a Neurosurgeon appointment - I'll be keeping the drug industry going until then!

The only thing that helps is to stay moving. No sitting, no lying, just standing and walking, which is exactly what I spent the whole of Saturday doing. It is good excercise anyway - had a blow out the other day and put on 4 pounds in 24 hours - pretty good going. Back on the plan though so hope it is copming back off.

Cut the lawn and pressure cleaned the side walk - it was a beautiful day here in South Florida. Hardly a cloud in the sky, a light breeze and around 80 degrees - perfect for being outside.

Just returned from my usual 3 mile walk - yes, I normally walk at night as it is cooler and the town is quite safe - who's going to attack a hefty 220 pound guy anyway? Turns out that walking is just about the best excercise one can do for a herniated disc - it strengthens ones back muscles nicely and generally loosens everything up. Not sure how I am going to sleep though - I feel so much better after my walk that I don't want to lay down - it will just aggrevate things again. Oh well - I'll work something out I suppose.

Best wishes to all,

Grant
Old 10-19-2003, 08:58 AM   #122  

Good Morning, everyone!

Hopped on the metal monster this morning, and it looked promising!

GRANT: with a herniated disc, should you be mowing the lawn? I know they told my 'adopted' daughter not to lift anything over five pounds, and no bending, twisting, or heavy stuff. Take care of yourself! I hope the therapy helps, and you can avoid surgery. As for those four pounds, bet they are just water, and will be gone in no time!

DEB: I got a carton of peppermint stick ice cream yesterday. I decided to open it when I get into new territory. Ice cream was on sale 2 for $5, but I resisted stocking up and only got two! Oh, can I relate on your white knuckles. Riding with my kids scares me to death. It got so bad, that now I can't ride with anyone. When I am going somewhere, I have to drive. Tom is indulgent at least! Sorry about the pot pies. If you are buying them regularly, it seems stupid for them not to carry them!

Gotta quit for now...Tom is still trying to sleep and the typing is annoying him!
Old 10-19-2003, 09:10 AM   #123  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

OMG, I'm sooo tired Bad sleeping last night. I was so tired last night but stayed up waiting, and worrying about MICHAEL. He went out with friends and told me he'd be home right after the movie. Knowing when and where he went I knew he should of been home at a certain time, or thereabouts. He comes trapsing in the house at 1:45pm-told me they met friends, talked and lost track of time, esp. since no one carries a watch? THAT won't be happening again! Was so wound up and bp was racing because I was mad I couldn't fall alseep until about 4amish. Woke up at the normal 6ish, fell back asleep until my sister called at 8:30! My butt will be dragging today

GRANT, sorry to hear you aren't getting the relief, but hey, at least if walking is giving you some relief, it's a great exercise - better that than be confined to the bed, flat on your back and not being able to move I'd say. I use to walk at night, not anymore Now when I do, it's early morning. People almost hit me when it's sunny, I'm not going to be easier target practice for them when it's dark.

MONET, have you tried the pp ice cream before? How long do you THINK you can hold out - me, it's lucky I don't open the carton in the parking lot, which I have to admit I've done in the past, but mostly small pints-doesn't matter if I have a spoon or not, my teeth can dig in for me! I'm going to get just one of ppmint and one of the red velvet and pray that I don't dive in to both in one day, but it's going to be hard, I know myself all too well. I know I'm not the only one eating those pot pies - hope others complain!

Gonna go get ready for the day, will try and check in later.

Toodles

Deb
Old 10-19-2003, 10:46 AM   #124  

Default Sunday

Hello.

Yeah it's me and on a weekend. Hubby is working today so I have the computer for a while.

I'm right along with Deb and the others that haven't been able to sleep worth a flip lately. I have no clue what I've done, but my left shoulder, actually it's more the upper left part of my back right under my shoulder, is killing me. It's been hurting a little all week long, but yesterday it really started hurting, it was/is so bad that I can't hardly turn my head. Sleep was not good because every time I would turn over I woke up to pain. I'm probably going to call the doc tomorrow and have it checked out.

Eating yesterday was good. I left those dang oatmeal cookies alone! Actually I was wanting some chocolate and nothing else would hit the spot. I can't find any legal chocolate here at all and it really irritates me. Chocolate has always been my fav.

BOB, If this is what you had, I can't imagine how you went to work and did all the things you did while hurting. Oh, I found some Yankee candles in the BX of all places yesterday. I got the Macintosh and Christmas cookie ones. They smell so good. I can smell them now and they aren't even burning!

Deb, I'm not much of a sports fan, but when I read that Clay was gonna be singing the National Anthem at the world series last night, I tuned in just long enough to see him. I told my mom yesterday that he could probably burp the ABC's and put that on a c.d. and I'd probably buy it too. I don't know what it is about him, I just LOVE to hear him sing. An E cup is the same thing as a DD cup. I found that out from a lady that worked at JC Penney's a long time ago, and a DDD cup is also the same as an F cup. I wonder why they don't just say E and F instead of DD and DDD?

Ok, I've got to go see if I can't find some way to get a little relief from this mess. I'll talk to y'all later.

Jenn
Old 10-19-2003, 10:47 AM   #125  

DEB: I could not find the red velvet flavor...I hope they get it up here eventually! I can probably hold out for a while with the ppmint. Shall I see how long I can wait??? Seriously, if I am down one more pound by Wednesday, I will be in new territory...this morning I was back to my all time low. So...if I go down more, the ice cream is coming out and being opened to celebrate! Of course, I will probably be back up then...sigh.
I only got one ppmint..the other one is Moose Trax. When Laura sees that one in the freezer, she will probably take it and eat it with a spoon right out of the carton in front of the TV. Its disgusting! She is tall and thin...just not fair! She eats all kinds of junk, and never gains a pound. Ruth on the other hand, is like me and gains just looking at food. Poor thing....and she married a chef!

JECRITES: I am sorry your shoulder is bothering you! Do try a heating pad, or ice...which ever one feels best. I would imagine heat would do better. And take some ibuprofen or something. The correct way, that many don't realize, is to take it regularly for a few days even if the pain goes away. That way, it keeps the inflammation down and the area can heal. When I first started having Rheumatoid arthritis problems, my doctor explained that to me. It does work better that way. I can't believe you can't find legal chocolate anywhere! Do you want me to mail you some? I can get all kinds very easily....I would be happy to send some to a fellow chocoholic!

Last edited by Ellen; 10-19-2003 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:57 AM   #126  

JECRITES and DEB: I think they call the cups DD and DDD instead of E and F, because it sounds better! Actually, I think some places there is a difference. My daugther used to wear a 38DD, and now has to wear a 38F. The DDD did not fit right. I have always worn a DD since I got married. Before that, I wore a C. Did they start making bras smaller, or did taking the Pill for six months mess me up permanently?
Old 10-19-2003, 11:57 AM   #127  

I forgot to tell y'all that Friday when the girls got home from school, Kerri had fallen off of something in gym and her nose was bleeding and her top lip was swollen. The school didn't call me because my cell # is long distance for them. Thanks to hubby, we don't have a home phone, just cells. They did call him at work, but I was still mad about it, and on top of that, they didn't even give her any ice to put on there. I'm going to have a chat with her teacher on Thursday when we go have our parent/teacher conference. Then I'm gonna check into a home phone if they won't call my cell unless it's a major emergency. There will come a day when they can't get hold of hubby at work and they'll have no choice but to call my cell. I had her put ice on it and it's gone down now, of course that happened at the end of the day on Friday and now it's Sunday. I'm glad she was in gym and didn't have on those expensive glasses, and that the floor is one of those rubber type floors instead of concrete or wood.

Monet, I think different styles of bras fit different. Some of mine that are marked DDD/F fit with a little extra room in them and some fit exactly right and then some I'm falling out of. They may have started making them smaller too, who knows! My GM said that she thinks when they are sizing stuff they just stick a tag on something just to give it a size and it doesn't matter if it's the actual size or not. I think I may have just slept wrong one night for my shoulder to be doing this, either that or these big boobies have finally got to me. I'm not supposed to take ibuprofen because it will raise the blood pressure. I did take tylenol, but it didn't seem to really help any. I know if it's no better tomorrow, I'm probably gonna call the doc. It kind of feels like it needs to be popped or something.

I'll keep checking back every now and again, but right now gotta get the kids cleaning up their rooms, and really do need to at least start laundry, prob won't get much done because of the shoulder, but at least a start. Talk to y'all later.

Jenn
Old 10-19-2003, 02:02 PM   #128  
Goddess

Thumbs down Sunday morning (cough, cough)

Ugh, still not feeling any better. I have to run some errands, but definatly DO NOT feel like doing anything!

The following rumination was sparked by Monet and Deb's metion of the pepperming ice cream---um,how ironic is it that we are celebrating the purchase of ice cream on the SB board????

Now, I'm not one to point fingers lately, because I've not been totally OP either. And that brings me to something I've been turning over in my mind recently--that is a caution from the original book that SB is a low sugar, not a no sugar lifestyle. I wonder if we don't make a mistake by trying to eliminate sugar completely from our lives? Are we setting ourselves up so that we seek happiness in what is forbidden? I know, I know, most of us can't have one cookie or one bite of ice cream and stop. But I also know that when I go off program, I tend to cram as much sugar in as a can before I give it up again. That's not good either. I also know that since adopting this WOE, I've made some changes that appear to be permanent. I no longer drink sugared soft drinks because I choose not to drink something like 16 teaspoons of sugar in one sitting ( I don't think you get that much sugar in a slice of cake!) And I find that I now like whole grains better than refined grains--so I choose to use them. I also like sweet potatoes, though once in a while I would choose a baked white potato--and I'm not sure that in an otherwise OP day that would be such a bad thing every now and again.

I think there really is something to the idea that if a food becomes "forbidden" it becomes the thing we want the most. We think about it all the time and when we fall for it we overdo it.

So I've been thinking seriously about changing my approach to SB. I still believe in the nutritional tenets of SB, but I think I'm going to see if I can work on making it what it is suppoed to be--a longterm set of nutritional guidelines, but not a straightjacket. In otherwords, simply the way I eat most of the time instead of a diet. No food will be forbidden. Whole grains, proteins, veggies, fruits and the right kinds of fats will be simply what I try to incorporate into my nutritional plans. But I will recognize that there will be times when I eat other things as well. Life is too short to go through it constantly feeling deprived--and it is also too short not to eat nutritionally. In other words, I think I'm going to try to see if I can--at long last--put food in it's place. It is fuel, not the source of my happiness.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Susan
Old 10-19-2003, 02:04 PM   #129  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

AFTERNOON FROM THE WEST COAST OF FLA!!!

It's another beautiful day here and I just got back from my Nephew's house...FINALLY took Tracy her birthday goodies
and got to see the nursery. They are doing it in blue and cream with a Noah's Ark border. It's going to look really sweet!
Got the word that my piano will be delivered BACK to my house
next Saturday. I had given it to Jeff a number of years back and it was in the room that has now become the nursery. They measured everywhere, but it will just not fit..SO I get it back!
Didn't mention giving me back all my music though...

THE ITALIAN JOB is WONDERFUL...you must see it!

NORMAL is really good too. DEB, you would like this one, it's very touching...

Today is LAUNDRY day here at the PAGE HOUSEHOLD...When I got back from The Kids house, Kate had already put on her beans to cook, now all I have to do is the chicken.

JEC...if you have a WALGREEN'S, get their brand of blue ice in a jar. It will be the BEST $5.99 you will EVER SPEND! If not, get the real BLUE ICE at your PX....Do it morning and night...it was the biggest help I had....along with the pain meds! I can relate GIRLFRIEND...I feel you pain!

Well....gotta go....

BOB
Old 10-19-2003, 03:26 PM   #130  

FILLISE: I think you are on to something. I find if I don't obsess about what I can't have, but act like sometimes I can enjoy it without guilt, I tend to be more in control. Interestingly, I find I am losing better with that kind of an attitude, then when I was sticking strictly to program. It may be in part due to eating MORE, but I honestly don't understand why sometimes I lose and sometimes I don't. I am thinking it may have something to do with not having coffee lately. I drink hot tea, and usually without anything in it. Coffee I drink very light...with half and half...so maybe its the calories or something? Who knows? As long as I don't eat the whole carton of ice cream, it should not be such a bad thing. Some things DO bother me...and I need to stay away from them, but isn't it all about learning control? Hope you are feeling better soon!

BOB: Do you play the piano? That is something I always wanted to be able to do. We had an old piano when I was a kid, but it was in very bad shape, and terribly out of tune. I am taking a music class from the worship director at church, and he is teaching us to read music and all. I am thinking I may invest in a piano, or keyboard and see if I can learn to play....
Old 10-19-2003, 07:37 PM   #131  

Hi Everyone!

Sorry I didn't post sooner. Busy weekend. My Ex husband had the two year old this weekend so I had the whole weekend to myself. I read a lot of the SB book on Friday. Let me get this straight, basically I can have all low glycemic foods right? Like today I went food shopping and bought All Bran, plums, peaches, lots of veggies, some nuts, more chicken breasts.

I went out to Borders today and bought the SB shopping list book. It would really help me if some of you guys and gals would post what you ate like today or tomorrow so I can get the idea of this diet.

Deb, I wish I knew earlier that you were interested in yard sales because my parents had a large one at their house in Coral Springs. We had like 50 people at one time and made like $400.

Ilana
Old 10-19-2003, 09:06 PM   #132  
Bustin' Buddy

Hey All

Just posting to see if my quote shows up. It's from Steel Magnolias and my all time favorite!

Missy
Old 10-19-2003, 09:08 PM   #133  
Bustin' Buddy

Ok it worked. I really think that if I had to explain my personality to anyone it would be Weeza and Claree from Steel Magnolias all wrapped into one! If you have seen the movie, combine the 2 characters and you've got me! HAHA! Kinda scary
Old 10-19-2003, 09:15 PM   #134  

Steel Magnolias is my fav movie.
Old 10-19-2003, 09:46 PM   #135  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Evening All

Had a short day up in Broward with ELI before we had to come get the kids and go to my sisters house for my nieces party. I did fine, had some Breyers ice cream but barfed that up-does it count? I didn't touch the cake, OMG, it looked so disgusting with a ton of icing on it, I mean a LOT of icing! I mean, I love buttercream icing, don't get me wrong, but there seemed to be more icing than cake! Even took my own lf hotdogs to put on the grill. Didn't do bad as far as I was concerned.

I went to Target and bought a Sharp microwave. It's not the one I wanted from Brandsmart, a huge place we have down here with probably a good 50 microwaves to choose from, but they've had this one on order for a couple weeks and didn't know when it would be in. So, I got this one just in case the other doesn't come in the next couple days, since it was on sale. It's 1.0 c/f and 1100 watts. I can live with it if it does the job. One of the things that bothered me about the other microwave I had to take back was this...my old one was 900watts and I made popcorn in it and it took 2min 22 seconds - didn't matter on the brand either, it was all the same, give or take a few seconds more/less. When I tried it with a more powerful microwave of 1200 watts it didn't even pop half the bag in the same amount of time. Wouldn't one think stronger wattage, shorter time? They have this popcorn button and even that was useless. I want something simple, nothing so complicated you have to have a engineering degree to figure out how to use it! I'm so electronically challenged it's not funny

Okay, on to some replies...

JEC, I had that problem with my shoulder a few weeks ago. It seemed to occur shortly after one of my yoga classes when we were doing the "bridge" pose. It took quite a while to go away and bothered me not only when I tried to sleep but just in general. I hope you find relief soon and also to get some sleep. We'll both be walking around looking like zombies I think, with CLAY, people like him because he's a down-to-earth person and the work that he does with special needs children. It's funny though, as the runner up, he seems to be doing better than RUBEN. OMG, you mean I use to wear and F cup? I like DDD better, I think When I was younger, they use to call me DaDaDa- D-bra!

MONET, I think you should hold out for sure, I did! Actually, they had one container left at the store, but no peppermint at all, nada So I didn't buy any. When you get in to new territory you won't want it to celebrate with, you'll want to savor that territory and not screw it up - right? I can easily sit down with the entire container of ice cream and eat it, unfortunately I've done it many times in the past, and unfortunately, I'm not thin like LAURA and can't afford to do this, but I do

JEC, I can't believe that they didn't call you from the school. Gosh, I would just tell them next time, use 10-10-987 and you'll pay them the $1 when you come to get her! Geez!!! Thank goodness it wasn't worse, but then, what would they constitute as being worse, and at what point would they pay for a phone call?

FILLISE, sorry to hear you're still not feeling well I totally agree with what you wrote about SB. It is not a no sugar lifestyle but a low sugar lifestyle. We all have sugars in our WOE every day, most are naturally occuring, or so they should be. When I started SB I was totally no sugar unless it was natural-that's how I approached this WOE. Even if something said it had 3grams of sugar or less and per SB rules was okay, if I saw sugar, or any form of it in the ingredients I wouldn't buy it. It was easy, really, I had no problem sticking to doing that. I think we are all so different and the way we approach this WOE is going to be as well. Some people can easily cheat with one bite, or one piece, or one meal. I am not one of them. I think if we truly know ourselves and our downfalls we can follow this WOE to make it work for us. For me, it's all or nothing. I have to take the approach that these foods are destructive for me because they are. I haven't been able to learn how to eat just a little without going in to a tailspin. Yet, someone else may be able to eat just a little and have no problem going right back OP. I too have made what I deem as permanent changes, many like yours with the soda, whole gains, etc., which is wonderful. It's like, with BEACHFAN, she always ate bananas and made goal, even though they said to not eat bananas, it worked for her. The point is to try and learn a WOE that you can live with doing the rest of your life. Of course, I don't believe there's a single soul on this board who will ever be able to 100% stay OP without straying from time-to-time. What I find is most important is to try to get to a comfortable weight first and then give yourself the option of enjoying an occasional treat from time-to-time. I think that many people who go on a "diet" want to see results of their efforts and if they keep going off plan and taking 2 steps back after going 1 step forward, they get so discouraged. If one "treats themselves once in a while, no problem. It's when that one in a while becomes more of a once a day thing. Of course, this is just my humble opinion & I can ramble on til the cows come home. Again, whatever works for you, you go for it-that's what I always say!

BOB, will have to look for that movie-who's in it? So, where the piano was, what's there now? We tried calling you today - busy, busy - you missed another call from your Sweetie!!!!

MOM, hope you had a peaceful weekend to yourself You don't have to eat solely low GI foods, moderate are okay as well and if there's a high GI food you'd like to have, try to pair it with a low GI food so you'll have a moderate GI level. Sounds like you got some great stuff to eat at the store. Will try to post a daily menu this week. Sounds like you made some good $$ this weekend. Yes, I do love good garage sales. I'm hoping to organize a block sale with my neighbors next month, I have to get rid of some of this junk in my house. Glad you got the SB SHOPPERS GUIDE, it's helpful when you are first starting out. Do you have any questions after reading the book?

FRUIT, will have to go dig that movie back up!!!

Okay, I'm outta here til tomorrow morning. See you all on the new weekly board.

Toodles

Deb
Closed Thread