South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #46  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Meg, dairy will help you avoid the Phase 1 "flu" and is really important for women. If you don't like milk, try FF/LF cottage cheese, LF cheese (especially light Laughing cow...it's awesome with celery or with pears and apples in Ph. 2), plain FF/LF yogurt (with SF syrup to make it taste yummy), and other forms of dairy.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:05 PM   #47  

Wow, to those who have lost weight already, it's great! I don't weigh myself everyday because I get too stressed about the numbers.

Meg - try adding small amounts of dairy here and there that's what I had to do especially when I was pregnant with my first. Like some low fat or fat free feta to your salad or other cheese. Try making cocoa with half milk half water. Small amounts till you get used to it.

I am feeling really weak today and my sugar dropped earlier so I started to sweat and shake. I immediately made myself some eggs and a small yogurt. I have two small kids so getting to eat is often when they are settled or sleeping! I feel lighter but dread the scale!!!
Old 02-05-2009, 03:23 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 255/SB re-start 236/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Milk?

Are you "allowed" to have milk?

I've lost 2.2 pounds since 2/2 - how did you lose 6?! I'm so excited for you!!!
Old 02-05-2009, 03:31 PM   #49  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

twilight - indeed. It is a very important part of this diet -- whether it be cow's milk or another form, it's important not just to this diet but to our health as women.

here is the phase 1 approved foods and amounts on the restricted items.

Also, everyone loses differently. Some lose very quickly on phase 1, others, not so much. It has a lot to do with how your diet was before you started and how your body responded to that diet -- also, how much you have to lose overall plays a big part of it. Most people can expect to lose about 10% of the weight they have to lose on Phase 1. Remember that Phase 1 is less about weight loss than it is about curbing those cravings. The weight lost in Phase 1 isn't fat, it's water and glycogen. If you were to go back to eating normally right now, those 2.2 lbs would be back in a matter of hours. The lasting weight loss comes in Phase 2 -- sure, it's slower but it is less likely to come back that way.

Last edited by zeffryn; 02-05-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:46 PM   #50  

Default Thank you!

Thanks for posting the link. I have been depriving myself (and my family). I get milk!!!

Thanks for the encouragement, too, Zeffryn. I had clinicals today and someone brought in donuts. Yeah, we are student nurses (RN) and we know the effects of sugar on our system, but someone thinks it's a great idea to bring in donuts! Anyway, they passed in front of my nose and even though I didn't breath until they were 2 people down, I could smell them. My mouth started to water, my tummy grumbled and I WAS NOT HUNGRY! I nearly broke, but then I thought about WHY I am dieting, how I don't want to be 240+ pounds forever. I want to go sled riding with my kids and look half decent when we go on a cruise. I want to be there for my kids and be sexy (or at least FEEL sexy) for my DH. So, I let them pass by and focused on a patient problem - a problem they could have avoided with proper exercise and nutrition (diabetes).

Last edited by TwilightMom; 02-05-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:36 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 246/242/150

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightMom View Post

I've lost 2.2 pounds since 2/2 - how did you lose 6?! I'm so excited for you!!!
2.2 pounds is great Honestly, I think most of what I've lost is water weight. I drank a lot of soda and ate a lot of salty type foods before starting SBD. But hey, its definitely motivational to see 6 lb gone!

I had no idea about the dairy. For some reason I thought it was a no no during phase 1. I normally eat a yogurt cup for breakfast, I'm looking forward to being able to have them again. Until then I might grab some FF cottage cheese. Thanks for the tips everyone!!!
Old 02-05-2009, 09:41 PM   #52  

Hey, I know I said I wouldn't weigh myself but I couldn't resist the darn scale. I'm up two lbs!!! How is that possible? I want to cry!!!!!!!!!

Twilightmom - Good for you passing up those donuts, they are so not worth it. A moment on the lips a lifetime on the hips is my motto. Ad I'm Greek so the hips are always there not matter what!

LovinMyMeg- Cottage cheese is really filling I love adding sugar free jelly to mine.

Ok, I'm off to being grumpy tonight
Old 02-06-2009, 07:10 AM   #53  

Height: 5'4"

Good morning, I just finished my 2nd week on P1. At this point I have lost 11 pounds and my resolve is firmly in place to stay on the beach till I meet my goal. I also know how your mind can tell you that those donuts are what you want even when you are not hungry, but the smell of them seeks you out. I just tell myself that I am healthier now and steadily reaching for my goal. Hang in there and do remember your milk. Linda
Old 02-06-2009, 07:44 AM   #54  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

to all the Newbies! You all seem to be doing great and I love all the support and motivation in here!
Old 02-06-2009, 08:29 AM   #55  

Quote:
Originally Posted by usam View Post
Hey, I know I said I wouldn't weigh myself but I couldn't resist the darn scale. I'm up two lbs!!! How is that possible? I want to cry!!!!!!!!!
There are a lot of factors that could cause you to be up - did you drink enough water? Did you eat something salty (turkey bacon, seafood)? Is it nearing time for Aunt Flo? In order to lose water, you have to drink water, so if you had something salty but didn't up your water intake to compensate for it, you could be retaining. Also, have you started to exercise? The muscles act differently if they are being worked and they may retain some of the "water" to help them recover from exercise. Lots of things could play into your 2 pounds. I think if you haven't been cheating, you'll be just fine come your one week weigh in. That's the bad thing about weighing yourself everyday, though. Like, this morning, I weighed myself and I was 240.2! My first goal, of course, is to get to 239, so I'm sooo frustrated that I've not gotten to 239 and when I looked at my weigh paper from Monday, I'm really only down 2.8 pounds! How frustrating, right? But then I thought - huh, I got in these dress pants this morning that I haven't tried to get into for over a year! Maybe it was the weight I lost prior to SBD that truly let me get into them, but I think that the extra 2.8 pounds couldn't have hurt any!!!

Last edited by TwilightMom; 02-06-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:11 AM   #56  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

TwilightMom -- I love baby feet!
Old 02-06-2009, 03:07 PM   #57  

They are my son's when he was about a year old. I think he emerged from the womb with his feet crossed!

Okay, I think I made a boo boo today. I ordered a French Vanilla coffee (thinking it was made with French Vanilla coffee beans) but it turned out to be a cappuccino and because I paid for it at a vending machine, I drank it. How bad is that?? I haven't cheated at all and I'm worried that this is going to mess up my progress!!!!
Old 02-06-2009, 03:34 PM   #58  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

twilight - just monitor your cravings. I doubt it will have much impact.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:41 PM   #59  

I'm upping my water intake today to help flush out the crap - I hope this works!!
Old 02-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 149/139/135

Height: 5' 3"

I love those coffees in gas stations - I think my fave is called English Toffee - it's sooooo good but you can tell it's loaded with sugar. You know, if we make mistakes, we just have to pick ourselves up and drink a lot of water to flush it out and get back on track. I've seen too many dieters let one mistake ruin their whole eating plan, which is sad.
Closed Thread