Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 03:12 PM   #46  
focused and aiming

vickie, i've been around the same weight since february. i keep losing and gaining the same 4-7 lbs over and over. hopefully, we'll break this cycle. thank you for the blinks. i went to the doctor this morning and i think i was down a little. would you believe i forgot to ask them what the difference was from last thursday. i'm all right with that. i'll find out tonight at wi.

i want to tell ya'll something my doctor told me. a local hospital (and i'm thinking maybe hospitals near some of you) are starting an obesity study. what it is is testing some new diet drug. my doctor suggested i call them and tell them about my valvular heart problems and my archery (in case there's something like caffeine in the new drug) and maybe i can get in that program. it will be free and will be closely monitored. i have a call in but the lady in charge is out till tomorrow. i'll call her back then. i'll let you know what i find out.

kathy, i'm glad you got some rest, and i'm glad you don't have to stay at work long today. congratulations on your continued weightloss success. you're an inspiration.

frouf, you might even be pulling that wagon. you made great choices for lunch. congratulations!

angela, i have bought frozen corn on the cob at grocery stores. it is mushy. i wondered why.

i'm off here now to go watch a scarey movie. i'm overdue for one. i'll catch ya'll later.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:59 PM   #47  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

What scary movie did you watch? I find that as I get older (is that possible?) I no longer have the urge to see anything frightening and tend to shy away from it - like there's enuf to be worried about in real life I don't need to be scared by movies. I tend to go for the "entertainment" value and prefer a good comedy, drama or thriller (okay a bit scary but not too much!)

Wish I was pulling that wagon as it would sure burn off some calories!..and I think I've been the same weight (or slightly heavier?) since like April? Also working on the same 3-5 lbs over and over again - I should be a size 6 by now...no?

That study sounds interesting - but I would want a whole lot of information before I took any drugs? Of course there is always the chance that you would be in the control/placebo group (with my luck anyways) so not much would happen. Good luck and let us know what you find out!

Too bad about the corn on the cob - to me that's the fun part - eating it off the cob! Right now there is great corn to be had and prices are good so freezing it is also a great idea! (and we do have a freezer - an upright no less cuz us froufs are so short we are afraid of chest freezers cuz we'll fall in and never be seen again!!!). Love the upright cuz I can actually see what's in it!...and reach everything as well.

It's 4 pm now and I am feeling the edges of hunger but it's almost time to go home? I still have veggies and dip in the fridge and I think to be on the safe side I should eat them before I go home so I don't go crazy and inhale that which I shouldn't.

Have big plans for some smothered barley chicken tonight - yum yum! (and I do have some corn on the cob in the fridge as well? not sure if that would go well together?)

Finishing 3rd 18 ouncer and maybe another one of the way home - can we say "waterlogged"?

Frouf
Old 08-04-2005, 04:08 PM   #48  

Height: 5'7"

Frouf, I'm with you all the way, girl! Scary movies?? No thanks! My rule of thumb is that if it was happening in my own living room, would I be amused or sad or sympathetic ... or would I be scared out of my pants? I have enough to drama, don't sleep well as it is. I sure don't need nightmares!

Well, I just balanced the checkbook. Sigh ... I'm trying to stop myself from paying DS's car payment that's coming up. I told him this morning that if he was living here, I would help him. If he remains in the apartment, I can't. Between me and my mom, we've given him about $1300 over the last month and it hasn't really moved him forward all that much, plus he's still behind on his rent and several bills are due. I should have pulled him back home the second he needed help with bills but I never thought it would take him so long to find a job. He has an interview tomorrow afternoon and it sounds very promising, but gas is precious and he has no money to waste on more bogus interviews. It had better pan out. And so ... Judd says if he moves here, we will get him a storage unit and pay for it, and then we will put some stuff there too and probably keep it. Looks like a lot of re-arranging is in my future, at least for the next week or so. I have 4-5 copy paper boxes full of fabric in the closet of the room that would be his, plus I've been storing all the girls' "move out" supplies in that room too. All that can go into storage and except for the full-length prom dresses, that closet will be clean and the room will be ready. I think all he has is a loveseat, barstools, bed, dresser, clothes, and some kitchen stuff. I guess we'll see.

I decided to have a beer this afternoon, and am now having another. I'd better put a stop to this slippery slope or I'll find myself right back at 159 and that is NOT an option.

Happy day to all. My head hurts too much to respond to everyone's posts all at once, but hopefully I'll catch up over the weekend. I hope everybody's doing well.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:58 PM   #49  

It's easier to use a knife to cut the corn off, rather than one of those circular metal dealies with teeth that are supposed to be so cool. They hurt your hands, chew up the corn terribly, and aren't any faster than a knife, imho.

I'm staring at a kitchen full of produce. A huge bowl of the last of the green beans, about 5 cucumbers, several squash, and about 5,000 zucchini. Hmmm. What to do, what to do? I think I'll wash the green beans, cook up a few for dinner, and slowly whittle them down over the next few days, since I discovered the ones I froze a while back are terrible when you reheat them. Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? Then, I'll slice up the cucumbers and put them in a vinegar, water, Splenda brine. I think the official name is refrigerator pickles. I always call them "that cucumber and vinegar thing." That's my favorite way to eat cucumbers. They're so fresh and handy. The summer squash - I'll use that in the tenata recipe Sandra posted. And, the zucchini... I think I'm going to make those zucchini pancakes Vickie posted a few days ago. Then with the rest, I'll make zucchini bread, and freeze it to give away later this year. It's always nice to have a few loaves of quick bread around, don't you think? I just hate to let anything go to waste.

Better get started...
Angela
Old 08-04-2005, 05:21 PM   #50  

Height: 5'7"

Holy cow, that's quite a job! Thanks for the info on the corn. I don't think I can find it very cheap, but I'll look. Judd just said we can go look at freezers tonight or tomorrow night.

And my DS just made up his mind to move in. He's on his way over right now to pick up the Kirby and go start cleaning up his apartment. He'll be socked with a lease-breaking fee and still has to pay the back rent, but at least here he won't have rent and can (hopefully) pay the apt. quickly. He's also going to start at Pizza Inn on Saturday doing delivery. That should help him out too. Saturday morning will be the big move; while Judd goes and gets his stuff, I'll go rent the storage unit. Sounds like a plan.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:10 PM   #51  
Card Carrying Princess

Wow - Angela - you are a veritable farmer's market! I am impressed and would also feel like you do and not want to waste anything - enjoy the bounties of your garden! (I guess no deep fried breaded zucchini??? sigh....)

Kathy - sounds like you will have a busy weekend ahead of you but I'm glad you are able to help your ds out! Good luck with the move and settling in.

I am having an eating problem - like I want to eat - a lot - but I'm not really hungry so I am now upstairs with a huge crunchy red delicious apple and yet another bottle of water.

I did have veggies and dip before going home, and I am happy to report that I was able to make that delicious smothered chicken - BUT I did indulge in a scoop of egg salad on a small bun while making kids' lunches for camp so I compensated by having a very small portion of the barley chicken.

Ds wanted rolo ice cream for desert of course and I noticed I was "tasting" a bit too much of it while scooping so back in the freezer it went and out came a ff/sf popsicle for me to eat...boy that was close!

I also packed some "insurance" for lunch tomorrow - in case my lunch date tomorrow cancels or has forgotten - I have packed a container of the smothered chicken to bring along, just in case. If I don't eat it I will either bring it home, but now that I am pondering we do have a freezer at work (top of fridge) and I'm sure I could slip it in there over the weekend - or for whenever I need an "emergency" lunch at work!

Dh gone out for dinner w/friends to The Works which is an AMAZING hamburger joint (altho you can get beef/turkey/chicken breast/or veggie burgers) and lots of fun. I know if I was there it wouldn't be pretty! Check it out: http://www.worksburger.com/

Going to watch some tv but don't know if I can drink another bottle of water - but if dh calls on his way home I might ask him to pick up a coffee for me on the way(yes I'll be in the bathroom all night). Definitely will try to get to bed earlier tonight!

Finally raining here!

Frouf

Last edited by Froufy; 08-04-2005 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:22 PM   #52  

I was down .6 pounds! My friend, Chaille, went to the meeting tonight. I am overwhelmed at all the posts today. I read all of them, sounds like everyone is doing great.

Angela, Our corn around here has been hard and dry (even when fresh). We usually grate it and put it up as cream corn. We just add a bit of water and microwave 10 minutes, then freeze. I haven't put any up this year though, haven't got any good sweet corn. I did put up 2 hampers of white acre peas and speckled butter beans.

Sandra, Glad the doctor didn't send the people in the white coats to take you off. I'm not sure who said it, but I agree that you need to be careful about the study. I am not a medicine person. How did your weigh in go?

Vickie, I'm sure you will break that plateau any day now. You have been doing so good.

Kathy, Glad you are gonna get some rest. Sounds like you are going to need it with the moving job coming up.

Lisa, I'm with you about this heat. I am ready for a break!
Old 08-05-2005, 12:08 AM   #53  
focused and aiming

frouf, i guess i'm like you. it was "jacket", a psychological thriller. i turned it off after a few minutes. it was too much for me. curtis and i watched "hostage" instead. i should be a size 6 by now, too. we're a pair, aren't we? i'm hoping to find out about the obesity study group tomorrow. curtis and i decided to stay home. he's having gear problems and i really am not interested in shooting that type tournament. i'm ready to get hunting season over and start getting ready for the indoor season.

i went to wi and was down 3 lbs. i think i'm still the only one doing core there, but i'm not sure. two women asked me to bring some recipes next thurs. they are thinking of doing core. i hope they do.

i've started (last night and tonight) a new way to get in my water. i watch tv at 7 most nights. i'm drinking a glass of water at every commercial from 7-8:30. we'll see how long that lasts.

kathy, be careful on those slopes. you're doing so well. i hope you get to feeling better.

angela, sounds like you're busy putting up veggies. you'll be well prepared this winter.

rita, congratulations on the weightloss. i'm happy for you. i'll be careful about the study. curtis gave me a compliment. he said maybe i wouldn't qualify for an obesity group. isn't that sweet?
Old 08-05-2005, 12:10 AM   #54  
focused and aiming

just checking to see if my tracker changed all right. nighty night.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:39 AM   #55  

Smile Good Morning Everyone!

Way to go Sandra! I knew you would be down! 3 pounds, That is great Curtis was definitely a sweetie

I am planning on having a great week! No frivolous points. I am going to try to watch my "comfort zone", I did alot of mindless eating this week. Even when I knew I was full, I would eat because I wanted something salty or sweet. I think I eat out of boredom too. Of course, If I would get off my rear and clean my house I wouldn't be bored!

I hope everyone has a really Great Core Day!
Old 08-05-2005, 05:43 AM   #56  

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that Chris didn't weigh in with me last night, he was too sick to go. He and my dh are both down with a cold. I hate it when men are sick! They are so whiny. It's funny the difference in the sexes ain't it! Women wait until they are almost dead, working and taking care of their families the whole time, before they will even give in and go to the doctor. If men have a sniffle, they are ready to go to the emergency room. Yall wish me patience and sympathy to take care of the sick boys in my life!
Old 08-05-2005, 09:15 AM   #57  

Rita, I hear you! I never know if my dh is truly sick or not, since he carries on so much every time he feels even slightly bad.

Sandra, congrats on being down 3 pounds! That's great!!!

I'm headed up to my sister's for a musical practice session (she's a music teacher, and her students perform twice a year - I usually help out by playing cello with them, although I think this year I'll try guitar). Anyway, I'll be MIA most of the day, so here's wishing everyone has a great Core day!!

Angela
Old 08-05-2005, 09:19 AM   #58  
Melissa

Hey chicks. I am so thoroughly exhausted, I should have taken the day off. But I had appointments scheduled with clients, so that wasn't really an option. But I just feel like I've been run over.
We went to the Ballet Under the Stars last night and it was really nice. Kind of uncomfortable, sitting on a blanket, but it was fun. We didn't stay for the whole thing, as I guess it lasted until 11 or after. That's too late for me. We left at intermission. It was fun, but hasn't helped with my fatigue.
My eating is already off to a bad start. I'm so tired it's like I lack the power to care. I am going to eat lunch at Subway or Wendy's, so at least I won't make too terrible decisions at those places.
Weighed-in this morning and was down a pound. That really, really surprises me b/c it is TOM, I'm bloated, swollen, haven't eaten very well the past couple of days, and haven't exercised!! So all I can think is, what if I had done better, then what would I have been down?? But I guess all I can do is learn. I'm just never happy, am I?
to Sandra and Rita!!!
Old 08-05-2005, 09:21 AM   #59  
Melissa

I just realized...one more pound and I get to change my chick!!
Old 08-05-2005, 10:08 AM   #60  
Card Carrying Princess

Exclamation Off To Get Weighed - Right Now!!!

Wow what a bunch of great losers we are - despite all the challenges we are having! Congrats to Rita, Sandra and Melissa for their losses!

Sandra - I agree that soon enuf you won't even qualify for an obesity study - keep up the good work.

Melissa - poor you - sorry to hear you are under the weather and feeling so tired - I think I can relate to that "too tired" to eat what I should feeling and it has REALLY made me think about getting more rest - what if the major problem is just lack of sleep and energy?...which results in being so tired and lethargic we make bad choices? Something to think about (and work on!)

Angela - have fun at the musical session - you are obviously multi-talented (but we already knew that! )

Rita - I agree about the whiny/baby men when they're sick - I am advised, on a daily, if not hourly basis, of all the little aches/pains/twinges that my dh feels - he would make a very poor woman! ha ha ha

Now here's the plan! I have been obsessing about WI and dreading of course as I know the scale will be up given my last couple of weeks and I did not go last saturday - I don't know why I am so anxious you'd think my leader is going to bite my head off or something - which she won't. I know if I gain she will ask "were you expecting this" or "are you surprised"....to judge whether I was off plan - or just on plan and not losing. I am obviously "expecting this". So to ward this off I am going to go get weighed today! - yes this morning!

I am hoping this will lessen my anxiety and let me enjoy the rest of the day, including lunch w/my gf! There is a center close by to my work where they are open all day for WI so off I go to get the very bad news....and then hopefully deal with it and forget about it. This should also aleviate tomorrow morning's "stress" as I prepare to go to synagogue - and I won't have to worry about stopping at my meeting to get weighed in on the way!

Hope everyone is having a great Core Day!

Will check in when I get back!

Frouf
Closed Thread