Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 09:52 AM   #31  

Hi all! I went to weigh-in and meeting yesterday, and I was up 1.4 pounds. I'm not shocked; in fact I'm surprised it wasn't more, after vacation and post-vacation eating. I'm not dwelling on it, but am more motivated to get back on track. I had a good eating day yesterday, because I was too busy to snack! I bought 13 dozen ears of sweet corn from a roadside stand, shucked them all (with dds' help), and then in the evening, we boiled them, cut the corn off the ear, and froze them in quart ziploc bags. We put up 76 bags! My family loves fresh sweet corn, so it's really nice to have this in the wintertime.

Today my mom and I are going to pull up the bean and pea plants (they're past their prime), and pick them one last time. Then we'll fluff up and mulch their rows, and plant another go-round of lettuce interspersed with flowers.

I saw the hummingbird visiting my glads again yesterday afternoon, so I tried to take some pictures. I'm not sure they'll turn out - I had to take them through the deer fencing, so there may be net in all of my photos.

I've got a dr appt for little dd, have to watch my nephew for a little while this afternoon, and have to drive up to my sisters (an hour away) tomorrow, so I'm keeping busy. Maybe that'll keep me from snacking!

On with my day!
Angela
Old 08-04-2005, 10:07 AM   #32  
Melissa

Good morning chicks! Checking in quickly between tasks at work!

Frouf, good luck with the Chinese delegation today! It sounds like you have a crazy job. Thanks for your encouragement too.

Angela, it sounds like you have a great outlook on your gain. I guess when you are maintaining that you will have fluctuations like that. Your corn sounds so good!

Rita, for w/i tonight!

Kathy, hope you are feeling better today.

I am actually feeling pretty sick today, feel like I am coming down with something. But we have been planning for months to go to "Ballet Under the Stars" at the park tonight and I am going darn it! I did ballet for about 8 years and love it, I can't wait to go. But I will probably eat bad, as there will be vendors at the park.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 08-04-2005, 10:33 AM   #33  
Southside White Sox Fan

Hey Chicks! Happy Thursday Morning. I am up but not moving very fast. Didn't go to bed until after midnight and was back up at 6:30. Our baseball game was so great but we lost to our Northern brothers the Toronto Bluejays. We had fabulous seats which we got free from our friend the White Sox organist. We were in the second row behind the White Sox dugout and you could see both of us every time a right handed batter was up! We taped the game and looked at some of it when we got home; dorks that we are! Seeing yourself on TV will DEFINITELY keep you on your diet.

So the dry roasted edamame were ok but I think they gave me a stomach ache so I threw away the leftovers. I'd rather eat them unroasted.

Cher, remaining employed is a great vision. How'd that go for you?

Melissa, there are all kinds of figure flattering swimsuits now. I buy the jogger kind because I'm afraid the skirted ones will fly up and show my upper thighs. EEEWWWW. Roamans.com always has a great assortment. I hope you got your walk in last night and that it burned a little of your pizza. I'm sure you didn't eat as much as you might once have eaten!

Kath, hope you aren't sick! We haven't heard from you yet today so you might still be sleeping. Wouldn't that be good. I know you are always under-slept! Can't wait to hear what your scale was down to this morning.

Frouf, you definitely are starting to sound like you are in a better place. Sometimes it is more mental than anything else. So your presentation today sounds pretty darned important and impressive. I hope it went well for you. Lunches out are hard, especially if you can't control where you will eat or can't bring your condiments with you. Just be as good as you can and of course....chug that water. Speaking of which, I haven't had any yet. I'm too busy drinking my coffee still!

Rita, did you say weigh in in tonight? Good luck to you! I'll hope that the pound holds for you.

Angela, it sounds like you're not worried and you shouldn't be. You're back on track and doing what you need to do. Lordy, I could gain about 7 pounds on vacation so think about how good you must have been. I'm sure you're glad you lost a little extra now so that you weren't worried about being above goal. I haven't had my fill of sweet corn yet this year. But, I also can't help wondering if the starchy veggie is contributing to my plateau. I've never frozen it before. How did you do it? Enjoy your gardening. It's such good exercise.

Well my Niece told me about a Family Circle article that talked about how to break a plateau. From memory, it is lower salt consumption (I'm a salt addict!); drink more water; eat more fruit especially cantaloupe, honeydew, bananas, and oranges for the potassium; eat more protein and fewer carbs, and increase your exercise. She called me and read the little blurb into my answering machine last night while I was at the game. This morning she told me that her friend, a former WW Leader, told her to tell me to mix up what I'm eating and to change my exercise. I don't know what else to do besides the treadmill that won't hurt my knees. Anything that requires me to plant and twist is painful. Guess I better figure it out! I'm just lucky to have such a great support system at home and with all of you.

Well, speaking of exercise I need to do some. I'm going to see if I can do that free WW DVD they gave us some months ago. I'd like to do it before Jim gets home from the car dealership.

Have a great day and I'll talk with you all later.

Last edited by Vickie; 08-04-2005 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:48 AM   #34  

Vickie, to freeze corn, all we do is boil the cleaned ears for about 10 minutes. Then cool it off in a sink of cold water (so you can handle it), cut the kernels off in slabs, dump them in a freezer ziploc baggie, seal it up (I suck out the air with a straw, but you don't have to), and then put them in the deep freeze. To cook them later, I take the frozen hunk out of the baggie, microwave it, covered, for about 4 min, stir, then another 3 minutes, and voila! Fresh corn!

The WW exercise DVD is OK, although I think I like Walk Away the Pounds more. Have you ever tried them? They're by Leslie Sansone, and they're pretty easy to modify if your knees are giving you trouble. It might be a fun change from the treadmill.

Angela
Old 08-04-2005, 10:49 AM   #35  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

I forgot about that DVD - I think I did a few times in the beginning - will have to dig it up again - it's pretty easy but you can certainly add to the energy level to make it more intensive!

Kathy - Hope you are getting a good rest - I could sure use some extra sleep as I have been going to bed way too late!

Rita - good luck w/tonight's WI!

Angela - I also think 1.4 is pretty darn good for a post vacation weigh in. I was going to ask about how to freeze fresh corn - but it sounds pretty intense. Is there a way to freeze corn directly on the cob - which is what I would like to do - instead of removing it? Any info greatly appreciated!

Melissa - Sorry to hear you are under the weather - and sounds like you really had your heart set on the ballet in the park - hope you feel well enuf to enjoy it! Which reminds me - we have this theatre in the park thing and I was thinking of going to the Sunday matinee w/one or more kiddies - just not sure about weather? Obviously it can be rained out - but I also don't want to sit out in 90 degree heat and humidity while I sweat/glow? That would not be enjoyable either! But it is a fun time - they also have vendors around - but I know they sell popcorn which would be the lesser of many evils.

Chinese delegation presentation went well - but I sure am tired of talking (is that even possible? ). I sometimes felt they did not really understand what i was saying and were just being polite. Thank goodness for one of my staff who was with me as one of the delegates was asking these questions and for the life of me I COULD BARELY UNDERSTAND A WORD OF IT! So my staff starts answering - seems she understood - and of course once I got the gist of it I could jump in and respond. When the 2nd question came I just sat back and kept my fingers crossed and Andrea was again able to comprehend and answer - Wow what a lifesaver!

Have not heard back from my "lunchmate" yet??? So I am wondering if lunch is off? Which is super bad cuz I of course would have packed myself a lovely core lunch - I guess I will get something from downstairs? (soup/salad?). I do have some emergency soup and can of tuna if required.

Speaking of which I am already hungry - will have my banana snack now and more water (2nd 18 ounces coming right up!).

Still struggling but trying to undo some of the damage. I will be able to go to WI this saturday but can't stay for the meeting as I will be going to synagogue sat am as it is the anniversary of my father's death (which is commemorated on a yearly basis - yahrzeit -yahrzeit info) and I will be saying a memorial prayer and probably participating somewhat in the service! It still makes me sad

Last edited by Froufy; 08-04-2005 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:56 AM   #36  
Southside White Sox Fan

Frouf, I'm glad your meeting went well and I know you'll manage lunch somehow if you date gets cancelled. Sounds like you owe your staff person a special treat for her savey handling of the situation! As for your memorial service, little girls never stop missing their Dads. I never have and mine has been gone for 27 years. Weigh in will be better than not going at all.

Angela, thanks for the "recipe". I may give it a try but not on the huge scale that you did!
Old 08-04-2005, 11:49 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 169/167.6/135

Height: 5'3'

Rita - heres for your weigh in

Frouf - sounds like you've climbed back on the wagon. Keep up with the water and get your exercise when you can. Hey, how's your DD doing?

Kathy - have you caught up on your sleep? My DD has been sleeping horribly the last couple of weeks. Therapist says it's anxiety since she can fall asleep within 10 minutes if I'm sitting in her room, but if I'm not there, she can lay awake for hours. There were quite a few days last week when I finally gave in at 1 a.m. and sat in her room, just so I could go to bed. Anyway, they have increased her medication (for anxieties), but won't see any effect for a couple of weeks. Said it was okay to give her a benadryl once in a while, just so she can get her rest. Actually gave her one last night for the first time; around 8:30, she went to bed at 10 and was asleep by 10:30., by herself. She slept 10:30 until 8:30 when she had to get up for swimming lessons. That's much better than 1:00 until 8:30. I think she really needed a good night of sleep. Thinking of the benadryl myself. Seems as though I toss and turn when TOM is lurking.

Angela that fresh corn idea sounds really good. May have to try that.

Melissa - ballet under the stars sounds really cool. My DD does ballet now, but she likes tap and hip hop better. She would probably like to see the "ballet under the stars" ........wonder if they have something like that, here.

While kids were swimming today I watched the "old white haired ladies" as DS calls them; doing their water aerobics. Looks like fun, but I think swimming laps would be better workout for me. I really can't stand this blasted heatwave any longer I mean, sweating from just sitting in the hot sun for an hour and a half., then you get in the car with the @#$(%& leather seats and sweat some more while your legs are sticking and your butt is getting wet and............. ................. WHERE IS FALL????

Okay, done ranting. Going to watch the Young and the Restless then I guess it's off to the pool once again.

Lisa
Old 08-04-2005, 11:53 AM   #38  
Southside White Sox Fan

Lisa, water aerobics ARE fun! They are more strenous than you might realize! Have fun at the pool. I'm LOVING this hot summer. Can't make everyone happy, huh?!
Old 08-04-2005, 12:01 PM   #39  
focused and aiming

rita, for you, too. i had a big bowl of cereal with a whole banana in it. i have to go to the doctor's in a few minutes to show her i'm not too crazy. i'll have to wi there, too. ah me, 2 wi's in the same day.

angela, i'd be proud to just gain 1.4 on a vacation. you did well. congratulations. have you tried some of the recipes here yet with your veggies? our grands were right. there are 5 hummingbirds feeding here in the evenings. curtis and i sat out and watched them a long time last night. good way to unwind for sure.

frouf, i'm glad your presentation is over. i knew it would go well. you sound in such good spirits. that's good. i have a good feeling about your wi this saturday. you're focused.

melissa, i hope you're feeling better. have fun at the park. i was wondering--do you have a ww meeting near you? i started back to meetings last week and i already feel stronger ww-wise.

vickie, be sure to let us know next time if you're sitting near there. if the game is nationally televised, we can all watch you. it will feel like we're there with you. i think you're right about the starchy veggies. i need to cut down on them, too. what a great suggestion for breaking a plateau! you'll let us know how it works. i think my weight is down a little today. i shouldn't have eaten the big breakfast just an hour before going to the doctor. i promise i won't cry no matter what the scales say. hopefully, tonight my weight will be down some. i need some blinks from all of you.

Last edited by notnew2this; 08-04-2005 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:05 PM   #40  
focused and aiming

lisa, water aerobics sound good to me,too. i still haven't tried them in the hot tub. maybe i will tonight. enjoy your soap.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:14 PM   #41  
Southside White Sox Fan

Sandra, here you go ! I forgot you switched back to Thursdays from Friday. . I'll keep you posted on the plateau breakers. I've been reading all morning about how to break them and been looking for water aerobic exercises to do in the pool. Only about a month left of swimming for us here in Chicago. I don't usually do public pools. I think I really need to eat a bit less food. I'm still eating roughly what I did when I started 43 pounds ago. I should need less. I have just been SO hungry these last 10 days. I'm SO tired of trying to figure this out. It is funny, though, because this is exactly the weight that I got to the last time that I quit SBD and gave up. I WILL break through it SOMEHOW.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:41 PM   #42  

Height: 5'7"

I'm here. I didn't sleep long this morning; got up at 8:00 and went to the store to buy snacks for work. I got to work around 10:00 to catch up on things, and I'm leaving at noon. Hopefully I can rest this afternoon and then will be back to normal. The morning scale was 153 and then jumped to 153.2 but that's still .2 down from yesterday. I'm hoping to have a good weekend and on Monday morning, I'll for sure be changing that ticker! And I can't wait to see a lower number -- there's absolutely no reason I can't control what I eat and drink. No reason whatsoever.

BBL.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:56 PM   #43  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Hey Kathy - glad you will be getting some more rest later! I could sure us a good afternoon nap right about now?

Lisa - sorry to hear about dd's sleeping problems - I agree a good night's rest makes all the difference in the world! My dd is doing okay for now - no therapist appt til end of August - she is now in a camp LIT (leader in training) program and for the next 3 weeks has been placed in a local camp to help out. She lucked out this week and is helping out at "Too Cool for Camp" which is for older kids (10-12) and each day they leave camp and go on an outing - so far she has been at Midway (like an indoor amusement/arcade park), the wave pool, going go-karting tomorrow - can't remember today's event - but it is quite fun (she has done this as a camper a year or two ago).

She is starting high school in the fall and I am dreading it due to more bad influences and stresses and BOYS! Awaiting her dance class schedule as well as this year she ALSO wants to do ballet (in addition to jazz and tap) so we need to see if this is doable.

As for climbing back on the wagon? I think I am now running alongside it and with my short chubby legs this is challenging enuf. My lunch date did cancel which left me in a lurch for lunch and I was ABSOLUTELY STARVING - went downstairs and got a meditteranean plate which consists of cut up veggies (tomatoes, cucumbers, celery, black olives, cauliflower/brocolli) a scoop of hummous, a scoop of tabouleh and a large pita bread. While not exactly core it was healthy and yummy and I am now finishing the 2nd 18 ounce water bottle. Hope this will keep me going as I have a long meeting this afternoon!

Vickie - wish we could have caught you on tv - next time you're in a visible spot we expect to be forewarned and see that "hi to my core chickies" banner that you will be displaying prominently from your seat!

It'rs really hot here too (and I am sitting here freezing in my office) but I am trying to enjoy it and absorb it into my bones as I am already dreading the cold weather which will soon be here. I know that by the end of September we turn on the heating in the house! So Vickie - enjoy your pool while you can! (Maybe a visit to my sil's pool is in order this weekend??)

Sandra - good luck at both weigh-ins! Let us know how you make out!

Frouf
Old 08-04-2005, 01:34 PM   #44  

We tried freezing corn ON the cob last year, and it just doesn't work. I read about it - some kind of enzyme in the cob keeps breaking down the molecules even after they're frozen, so when you try to reheat them, they're all mushy. Not good! I read somewhere that you can try hollowing out 1 cm of the core, but that sounds like even more work than cutting it off the cob completely!

Angela
Old 08-04-2005, 03:10 PM   #45  

Height: 5'7"

Angela, did you use a knife or some sort of implement. We love corn and I'm needing to buy a freezer, so this would be a perfect thing to go in it.
Closed Thread