Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 08:43 PM   #91  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

CONGRATULATIONS ANGELA!!! Way to go - I am so THRILLED AND HAPPY for you - you must be ecstatic! Hope you find something special to reward yourself with!

I am feeling better today - altho yesterday was **** - I had these bad cravings all afternoon and had a heck of a time dealing with them! Most of my day was okay eating-wise but had a starch meltdown at dinnertime? Not sure what that was about: ended up pigging out on mashed potatoes of all things (maybe a trigger food?) and then a bagel w/butter....now my stomach feels all bloated and distended - not a good feeling! I feel like such a piggy

Had a dr appt today to check my bp - dr was very HAPPY to hear I had lost almost 20 lbs! altho my bp readings at the drugstore machines seem to be normal they are usually higher in her office (and I don't think it's "whitecoat syndrome")....she knows I am basically eating healthier now - need to watch salt intake - continue w/the weight loss and monitoring my bp at the drugstore and I'm to return in 2 months time!

The lebanese moussaka is something I bought ...and yes I wanted to go get some more today (another trigger food?)....it is from a local fruit/veggie grocery store - comes in small plastic container (like a dip)....it's amazing! You can see the chickpeas (whole) but they are in a tomatoey/onion/eggplant mixture w/spices - it's like eating chickpeas in a "veggie" sauce/dip. Very yummy!

Tomorrow am taking dd to the allergist to have her tested and hopefully we can find out why she has been breaking out in hives recently! Then back to work and we are GOING OUT FOR LUNCH!.....I rarely eat out for lunch since being on core but do participate in our "birthday office" lunches. This is an italian place - not sure what Core food I shall find - but seeing as sat is weigh-in day - and I still have some jamaica pounds on me I had better be very careful. I think it will take me at least one more week to shed all my vacation pounds. Will try to up the water tomorrow!

So quiet here tonight! Dh gone jamming, dd at a sleepover, ds working and youngest in bed! What trouble can a bloated frouf get into tonight???

Frouf

Last edited by Froufy; 03-31-2005 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:28 PM   #92  
Southside White Sox Fan

Hey all!

Frouf, ask if the have ww pasta. Alot of places are carrying it now and some do not have it on their menu. That with some marinara sauce and a salad, you should be pretty good!

Bad weigh in tonight. I gained 2 pounds. Back to journalling and weighing and measuring my Core food this week. All that and didn't have the enjoyment of a chocolate egg or any other kind of candy. I even passed on all the hot rolls and butter at Easter dinner. I'll be real religious this week and see if I can get rid of it. Not giving up no matter what obtacles my darn old body throws up!

See you all tomorrow.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:45 PM   #93  
Card Carrying Princess

Hang in there Vickie - we all know those 2 lbs are certainly NOT due to overindulgence. You sound committed and focused so I'm sure they will come off by next week!

Thanks for the ww pasta suggestion - I will ask but this is Ottawa (ha ha ha) and I highly doubt this restaurant will have whole wheat pasta - it is a very "traditional" restaurant and they probably make their own fresh pasta for the dishes - I think I will stick to either fish or chicken if available...or maybe a salad w/some "protein" if that's on the menu. I am probably more concerned w/too much salt or fat intake than the food itself!

Will let you know how it goes!

nitey night!

Frouf
Old 03-31-2005, 10:55 PM   #94  

Vickie, hang in there! Like your hubby says, you're in it for the long haul, and it's a marathon, not a sprint. Right? I'm so impressed with your dedication - you never give up!

Next week will be better, keep up the good work.

Angela
Old 04-01-2005, 07:09 AM   #95  

Vickie, I'm sorry for the disappointing WI ... our bodies are such fickle things. Since you were so good in resisting the Easter indulgences, you would think that would show up on the scales instead of those phantom pounds from nowhere! As usual, you have such a positive attitude! Keep on doing what you're doing!
Old 04-01-2005, 08:22 AM   #96  
Southside White Sox Fan

Good Morning! It's a beautiful one here. I peeked at the scale this morning. Yep...they are still there, those 2 unwanted friends of mine. I'll be walking soon to see if I can shake them loose. Picture me on the treadmill, walking and trying to shake off 2 pounds!

Frouf, I forgot we were talking about Canada. WW must not be the force there that it is here in the states. Restaurants here are quick to jump on the diet program bandwagons. They do NOT want us staying home and cooking because we can't get program foods out.

Thanks Frouf, Angela and Deborah for the morale support. I needed it. As tough as I sound, it is still really hard for me. I can't give up because I've got too far to go. I'm still shooting for 40 pounds by May 19th.

Hope you all have a great day. I'm headed to a Home Show later today so I better get a move on!
Old 04-01-2005, 11:40 AM   #97  

S/C/G: 169/167.6/135

Height: 5'3'

Vickie - I was up 1lb. at WI wednesday. I journaled Wed., and Thurs., drank lots of water and did some exercise; and this morning I am down 1/2. I think you'll be okay for next week. Try not to weigh yourself too often. I'm not going to weight myself again until Mon. Seems like i lose more if I don't know.

Where do you go for WW food out? The only place I know around here is Applebees.

Keep on keeping on!

Lisa
Old 04-01-2005, 12:00 PM   #98  
Athlete in Training

Hi all --

I'm so glad it is Friday. My boss gets a new boss on Monday and all of us are really looking forward to the change.

Frouf - I'm going to try the Moussaka recipe I found since I'd have no clue where to buy it premade. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the idea.

Vickie - Do you speak Italian? Well here's a little Italian advice regarding your weight gain. Faggetabattit! Keep doing the right things and trust that the weight will come off.

I made the most incredible dinner yesterday, called pumpkin posole, 100% core and really filling. It's a stew-type dish, with lots of odd things all mixed together, and tasted like chicken with stuffing. If anyone wants the recipe, let me know. It only needs to cook for about 20 minutes, but you have to chop veggies, so it took me about 40 minutes to make. I got home around 9:30 and was really tempted to skip making dinner, but since I was ravenous I knew I had to have lots of something core or I'd be in trouble.

Does everybody post what they eat every day? I saw a thread for menus. Does this help stay on track?
Old 04-01-2005, 03:26 PM   #99  
Card Carrying Princess

Exclamation

Busy day so far and looking forward to a QUIET weekend - but just found out this weekend we lose that one PRECIOUS hour as we move our clocks forward - who the @#$#@@ dreamed that one up! Let me at him!

Lots of troubling news today - took dd to allergist re hive situation. I of course thought it was food related but dd insisted it happened when coming in from the cold - she would break out in hives and get itchy! So dr. did the skin prick test (foods and environment = 51 pricks!) then drew a square on her arm w/pen and had her hold an ICE CUBE there for 15 mins or so. Back in we go - she did NOT react to any foods, some slight reactions to grass, but HOLY MOLY what a hive where the ice was - she has an allergy/sensitivity to the COLD - have you ever heard of anything so strange in your life? She was right in indicating that whenever she came in from the cold (and her skin warmed up) she broke out in hives!

So she is to dress warmly (ha ha ha - now that spring is almost here?) and try to keep body temperature from getting too cold so when she comes in she won't break out - and can take antihistamines as well. May have been triggered by a virus dr said and will probably last a few months (altho some have suffered for a few years). Told her to beware of unheated pools in the summer which might cause a full body reaction.

The MORE TROUBLING NEWS is when I saw dd's left arm - she has on occasion "written" on her arm in ink/marker and I do discourage her from this - but at dr's office I noticed one arm had these "scratches" on it - when I asked her about it - she said she had "cut herself" - and I mean intentionally, on purpose (as in self-mutilation!!!). Can you imagine my horror? Can you imagine me trying to contain my horror as I tried to talk with her about this? She asked "are u mad at me?"....No, but you do realize this is not a good thing and I would like to take to talk to someone about this? She realizes this is somewhat serious - says her friends know she did it and try to talk to her about it! Told me it "feels good".....I made her promise not to do it anymore and that I am planning to take her to dr to discuss - does not sound enthused but looks like she will cooperate! What a nightmare!

Called the pediatrician as soon as I got back to work and made an "emergency" appt for Monday afternoon for checkup and referral. I hope we have caught this soon enuf to do something about it!

Then out for lunch - and altho I was upset I was STARVING!....figures. Had the honey glazed grilled salmon over mixed greens w/balsamic vinaigrette...and a large slice of amazing sourdough/black olive bread. Drinking water now to try and flush out those extra calories? in advance of tomorrow's weigh in.. but frankly right now I am not so concerned about my weight - I know I will just keep plugging away at it. I am more concerned about dd and her future well being.

She is going to her dad's for the weekend so I called to advise him of the current situation - and to pay more attention to her this weekend and watch her carefully! I think he wants to come to the dr appt as well.

She is kinda of a "dark" child and I was getting concerned about her poetry and stories (all very dark, scary with themes of death)...her teachers are giving her these GREAT MARKS for these stories - but I was wondering if this was normal and was planning to call her english teacher to discuss - now I think I will go straight to the dr as I now know this is more serious that just some "creative writing".

I am strong....I will do what has to be done to help her! But I am also feeling quite overwhelmed and depressed about the whole thing - it is making me very, very sad!

Frouf

Last edited by Froufy; 04-01-2005 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:54 PM   #100  

Height: 5'7"

Oh Froufy! No words of wisdom here, just a very very tight hug.

Old 04-01-2005, 04:22 PM   #101  

Add me in to the hug Froufy...

I have no great advice, as my girls are younger. But I am and have been really worried about raising my daughters in today's world. Maybe you all can help me through it.

I'm glad you got her into the dr as soon as possible. Don't hesitate to advocate for your daughter whenever you think it's called for.

We'll be here for you for moral support. Great job on only having one slice of bread!

Angela
Old 04-01-2005, 05:45 PM   #102  

Froufy, that's so scary. It sounds like you are doing exactly the right thing. Staying aware and involved is the most important part of being a good mom. It sounds like she is still communicating with you, too, which is great.

I had the hive thing when I was in middle school. They only came out when I was in the cold, but it turned out to be related to a penecillin allergy. Has she had anything like that recently?

Monkeypoodle, I'd like that recipe if you get time to post it. I'm always looking for something to do with chicken.

WI tomorrow. I don't know how it's going to go. I've been pretty good, but it's that TOM, which always makes things unpredictable.

I did have a nice moment a couple of days ago. I decided I was down enough to start trying some of my thinner clothes and wore a pair of pants to work that I hadn't been able to sit comfortably in for a while. I was thinking that it was nice to be down a size from size 14 finally, but when I took the pants off after work, I discovered that that pair is actually a 10 not a 12! (Okay, a 10M, whatever that means, but it's the number that's important, right?)

Hope everyone has a good weekend. Take care Froufy, you're doing great.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:10 PM   #103  
Card Carrying Princess

Well I held it together as long as I could - just got home and decided to try and distract myself by surfing - and I see all your kind wishes and hugs and I am just sitting here crying. Thanks SO MUCH for your caring - I do feel it. I feel like a bad, rotten mother to have a child that is so troubled....of course I feel it is my fault!

And I've been wanting to cry and scream all day - but I guess I didn't realize how much I was holding back - now in the comfort of home I can just let it out.

Dh realizes how upset I am and will let him know that I do need his support (as does dd without any of his usual negativity or nasty comments!). Have been doing a lot of research on "self injury" and it's right up there w/bulimia, anorexia and other addictive behaviours (such as alcohol and drug abuse). Most common in females, often starts in puberty and can last from 5-10 years!!! Usually these girls are "perfectionists", have good marks, from middle class educated families - how weird is that? Boy I sure have caught this early enuf to "save" her. I keep thinking she may be suicidal??? and I just can't handle this thought - I am just a bundle of nerves worrying about her and I just want to "guard" her and watch over her as much as I can. I am so WORRIED!

This is really upsetting me.....and I'm so hungry but don't want to eat!

CONGRATS CHER ON THE SIZE 10 PANTS - how exciting for you - I bet you feel great - isn't it fun to go "shopping" in your own cupboard!!!

Dh and 6 yr old home from shopping for 1/2 price easter chocolate - can u imagine?

Frouf

Last edited by Froufy; 04-01-2005 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:17 PM   #104  

Just what you need, huh? My dh always overbuys for Easter, so we still have gobs of it around. Fortunately(?), chocolate makes my tummy hurt, so it's not much of a temptation. I found out I had pre-ulcerous infection a couple of years ago by eating way too many of those Dove dark-chocolate Promises. Mostly okay now, though, as long as I watch out for a few things.

Don't scare yourself with too much research. I do the same thing. My kindergartener has been having trouble in school, and I've absolutely convinced myself he's ADHD, even though his teacher hasn't mentioned the term. My dh just wants to keep working on him and hope he grows out of it, but he's already racked up more time in the principal's office than my dh and me combined for our entire school careers. In kindergarten! Fortunately he's a happy kid. He just likes the attention he gets from some of the other boys for being a clown. Never too early to start hanging with the wrong crowd, I guess.

Even the best ones make you worry, though. My 7-year-old has been teacher's pet from the time she started talking and I still wonder how it's going to be when she hits her first real challenge.

Maybe--and this is a stretch because of course I don't really know your situation well--this could help your dh see that the atmosphere needs to improve and that he needs to be a part of it? I don't know--I think men are often conditioned to put the blame on everyone else, but maybe something good could come of it eventually.

Take care.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:24 AM   #105  
Southside White Sox Fan

Thanks for your support, Lisa. I just don't get it. I'm exercising and eating right and the pounds are still there this morning. I guess something weird is just going on with my body. I even had 8 glasses of water and a bunch of other decaf beverages yesterday. Oh well, keep on trucking. Terry, I like your kind of Italian. That much I understand!

Terry, I post what I eat almost every day and I think it does help me to see what others are eating. I especially like to look at the menus of those who are losing great so that I can see what I might be doing wrong. Lisa, I find that many Italian restaurants are now offering ww pasta. I carry in my own salad dressing in a tupperware midget. I order marinara and a grilled chicken breast in it after "grilling" them about how the breast is cooked. They almost always have broccoli for pizzas and I ask them to give me steamed broccoli on the side. Regular restaurants are pretty good too. You won't get ww pasta but I carry in FF sour cream and order a baked potato.

Good Lord, Frouf, add me into the hug. What a frightening situation. You are a GREAT Mother in my book to be so vigilant and to act so quickly. I'll pray that all goes well for you and DD. I definitely think that getting her to the doctor quickly is a wise idea. Sounds like maybe she could use some counseling. Who knows what goes on inside their heads. Some of what you are going through is what scared me off of having children at all. I had a friend in high school once who carved her name into her arm. She just thought it was cool. She was definitely a tortured soul. Frouf, I had always heard that self-injury folks were crying for help. Usually, suicidals don't do anything to draw attention to themselves. Cher is right. The research can scare the stuffing out of you. Tell the Doctor of your fears. I wish there was something we could all do to help. We'll be here though, if you need us.
Closed Thread